Will I survive in Issan?

Saan

Hi Saan,I happen to look at the comments you like 16,22,25,43 and 44..I suggest you read them over.I will tell

you to take what you need out of all these posts .I can't imagine how it would be to start another relationship at 70.It amazes me to see so many Farangs buy houses and land "etc" for their ladies, only to loose out . This topic is very good reading on everyone's life experiences and suggestions. I know it has for me .I have learned one thing out of everyone's comments and that is "To do and spend what you would be comfortable to walk away from if you have too" .Choke d karp

Edited by riclag

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old Amigo.

The answer to your question is: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you WON'T at all.

Don't go there.

It is not country for old men.

Try to find other solution and DON'T (extremly DON'T) build house there. You would built a house for Isaans and not for yourself, and of course will be expected to take care of every-one and to spend for everything by yourself.

Every day you will be woken up at 4 am cause the animals around the house awakes this time, and the dogs are barking al night. The Internet is mostly crap and when the rainy season comes what would made all day?

My warm advise: DON'T GO at all.

And DON'T believe for the "I'm 70, live in Isaan with my wife's family and everything is well, the happyness is endless" BST fairy tails.

Isaans are especially money hungry and shameless team, you can't pay enough for them, you can't help enough for their families, you can't build enough big house for them, ALWAYS need MORE and MORE. Your wealth will be melt they take care of it.

Edited by Loles
  • Like 2

Isaans are especially money hungry and shameless team, you can't pay enough for them, you can't help enough for their families, you can't build enough big house for them, ALWAYS need MORE and MORE. Your wealth will be melt they take care of it.

Well, so much for "fair and balanced" -- accusing everyone in the Northeast with the same predatory motives. Bitter, are we?

• Like 2

You chose to marry a Thai female and live in Thailand so therefore you must follow and accept the Thai culture. She only has one set of parents and it's her duty in Thai culture to take care of them and if you choose not to follow her to Issan, it puts both of you in an awkward situation in culture and in respect. Once you married your wife, her parents become your parents. The village will not see the respect which you must have to care for family forever. This is something which you should of thought of when marring her. Yes you will survive, you survived moving and living in Chiang Mai. You must not allow your wife to ''loose face'' in Roi Et and you must not allow yourself to become the ''bad farang'' and be labeled jai dum. Your wife loved and accepted you and you must love and accept her fully. You will be pleasantly surprised with the results. You married the village and her culture when you married your wife. Have an open mind and it will be filled with great rewards. Issan is wonderful. No other place on earth I would rather be other than Bangkok. Good luck my friend.

Jesus Christ , i bet you don't get walked all over by the Thais. They must all love you as the village mug. Are you a man or a mouse. He should tell his missis to sod off and spend the rest of his life doing what he wants to do.

You people wonder why we are welcomed less and less here in Thailand and they are changing the rules more and more. It's asses like you who make it the way it's becoming. It's Thailand not yourland ass wipes.

• Like 1

Again I must thank everyone for the very thoughtful posts.

I think I will put my toe in the water and spend some time in the city while visiting the village regularly.

The weather, as some warn, is not going to be a big problem for me as I lived 6 years on the coast in North Queensland. Thai weather has always seemed relatively balmy to me - I draw a long bow there but you know what I mean.

But I won't cut my links with Chiang Mai. I'll give Roi Et a go and if it works good otherwise back to the land of Lanna.

• Like 1

soihok, on 19 Mar 2014 - 20:26, said:

Great post thumbsup.gif

Its obvious that Loles has been burnt in the past.

Recon your right , but so have many of my friends who have lost the lot. Any Ferang who hasnt had a Mate done over is either a Newbie or a Hermit.

Saan, you asked "Will I survive in Issan".

The only people that should ask "will I survive" are those that are lost at sea or in the jungle. You should be asking Will I enjoy my life in the village.

If it was me I would NOT go, but everyone is different and some may enjoy it. I would however consider living in a nearby city in order to support my wife's decision and to enjoy my life at the same time.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

even some girls can not survive issan...my new gf of 8 months goes home when i go back to the uk...stays there 2 months..

spoke to her yesterday..she said no more issan...i want stay pattaya...i asked why....family keep asking for money..they yak yak me...give me headache

going in to it a bit more..she said they want me to pay for everything as i have falang...pay for car go market, pay for petrol motorbike,,pay food,, pay whisky..pay all..i am fed up...

so she is bailing out after songkran...thats when they will really apply the pressure for money...

issan now need a lot of cash to keep them happy...

car payments

satellite tv

credit telephone..

electric bill

that can be 15000 thb...then the other costs...so i would think around 30000 thb..if you have a car etc

• Like 1

even some girls can not survive issan...my new gf of 8 months goes home when i go back to the uk...stays there 2 months..

spoke to her yesterday..she said no more issan...i want stay pattaya...i asked why....family keep asking for money..they yak yak me...give me headache

going in to it a bit more..she said they want me to pay for everything as i have falang...pay for car go market, pay for petrol motorbike,,pay food,, pay whisky..pay all..i am fed up...

so she is bailing out after songkran...thats when they will really apply the pressure for money...

car payments

satellite tv

credit telephone..

electric bill

that can be 15000 thb...then the other costs...so i would think around 30000 thb..if you have a car etc

This is what happens if a farang "millionaire" comes on the scene. I know some here have said they like being near the family in a vill, well thats up to them, but for sure their cash is flowing the families way, whether they know it or not. There will always be someone at the door with a problem that your lady will feel obliged to help, cos that is the Thai way. 100% sure.

Have to disagree with you on this one. Considering this country's philosophy, its 190 % sure.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

car payments

satellite tv

credit telephone..

electric bill

This is what happens if a farang "millionaire" comes on the scene. I know some here have said they like being near the family in a vill, well thats up to them, but for sure their cash is flowing the families way, whether they know it or not. There will always be someone at the door with a problem that your lady will feel obliged to help, cos that is the Thai way. 100% sure.

Have to disagree with you on this one. Considering this country's philosophy, its 190 % sure.-wai2.gif

In my view it all depends on how hard your wife has worked in the past and how hard she works now.

My wife and I have made our own money, and we still do. If members of the family come for help my wife will assess the situation. If she thinks the family members do deserve help then they get it.

A loan, with a contract, and a nice monthly percentage rate.

OP, it's an absolute no-no for so many reasons on so many levels.

But go see first. It may be a rare gem of a village

How about a move to Roi-Et instead, close enough.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Living in a village is an oxymoron.

Dying in the village is more accurate. Everywhere will be different, I accept that, but in my experience I see little more than drinking, gambling and sitting around doing sweet FA as the main ''

activities'.

I agree. Though protestations of having no money are frequent and jealousy of your (western) assets and income often very obvious, their desire to do any work is so often missing when sitting around, drinking and gambling are an option, funded by some idiot or any idiot.

Often the westerners in these areas get sucked into this life as a drunkard waster.

• Like 1

Billd. I really enjoyed your post. Later this year my wife, 2 stepsons, and I will be moving to a village in Sisaket. I had the idea of building a house in my wife's village so that when I was no longer around she would have her own home. (I am 67, she is 37). We have been married 8 years, and live in the U.S. After the building started, I decided that it would be a good idea for me to retire and live there more comfortably on my income. I realize that when I married my wife, I also married her family, but they never ask for much. Once in a while they may need something, but we probably send less than 15000 thb per year.

I'm looking forward to moving there, although I'm not sure I can survive there, and my wife is starting to have 2nd thoughts after living here for 8 years, so we have decided to give it at least 6 months, and decide if we want to stay. My only concern is that I will want to stay, and she will want to return to Las Vegas, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I plan to work on learning the language, and hoping to meet some farangs in Sisaket, Surin, or Ubon when I get there.

Billd. I really enjoyed your post. Later this year my wife, 2 stepsons, and I will be moving to a village in Sisaket. I had the idea of building a house in my wife's village so that when I was no longer around she would have her own home. (I am 67, she is 37). We have been married 8 years, and live in the U.S. After the building started, I decided that it would be a good idea for me to retire and live there more comfortably on my income. I realize that when I married my wife, I also married her family, but they never ask for much. Once in a while they may need something, but we probably send less than 15000 thb per year.

I'm looking forward to moving there, although I'm not sure I can survive there, and my wife is starting to have 2nd thoughts after living here for 8 years, so we have decided to give it at least 6 months, and decide if we want to stay. My only concern is that I will want to stay, and she will want to return to Las Vegas, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I plan to work on learning the language, and hoping to meet some farangs in Sisaket, Surin, or Ubon when I get

there.

The oldest established Farang place in Sisaket is Frank and Nong"s Livin in the Past. Frank is extremely knowledgeable and helpful about the area so it might be of interest taking a look at his FB page.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm looking forward to moving there, although I'm not sure I can survive there, and my wife is starting to have 2nd thoughts after living here for 8 years, so we have decided to give it at least 6 months, and decide if we want to stay. My only concern is that I will want to stay, and she will want to return to Las Vegas, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I plan to work on learning the language, and hoping to meet some farangs in Sisaket, Surin, or Ubon when I get

there.

The oldest established Farang place in Sisaket is Frank and Nong"s Livin in the Past. Frank is extremely knowledgeable and helpful about the area so it might be of interest taking a look at his FB page.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do you have any more info on Frank and Nong so I can look them up on Facebook?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I live in a mid size town in Isaan (we have a Robinson) when we have to go to the village about 50km out of town I'm tearing my hair out with boredom by the middle of day two. There are two farhangs there, one is a recovering alcoholic the other a full on alcoholic. Makes for some odd conversations. Hot, noisy, no internet. No wonder so many Thais drink themselves to death! I know boredom is a state of mind but Thai village life is not for me. But assuming you can drive, 24km is close enough to commute back and forth to town every day.

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

• Like 1

Well, so much for "fair and balanced" -- accusing everyone in the Northeast with the same predatory motives. Bitter, are we?

I hear what you are saying but if you go to a farhang bar anywhere in Isaan and talk to 10 expats my guess would be 50% will have bought land, built a house, lost a motorbike to lay about brother in law, paid for sick buffalo then walked away from the lot. Wish I had a pound for every time I had heard this story.

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

I'm looking forward to moving there, although I'm not sure I can survive there, and my wife is starting to have 2nd thoughts after living here for 8 years, so we have decided to give it at least 6 months, and decide if we want to stay. My only concern is that I will want to stay, and she will want to return to Las Vegas, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I plan to work on learning the language, and hoping to meet some farangs in Sisaket, Surin, or Ubon when I get there.

Well it works for me and a few other farang friends around here but it isn't for everybody. In fact more than half the posts here think we are lazy, stupid, drunk, moronic ATMs under the thumb of our much younger ThaI wives and their money grabbing families. To some extent and for some people they are right but not in all aspects all of the time.

I will be 70 in May and my wife will be 49 in October and our son will be 10 in August.

If neither of you are sure at this time perhaps the best thing would be to rent a place just in case it all goes pear shaped. My wife was a city girl from Bang Na in BKK and she adapted well enough and I am a townie matured by 25 years military service followed by many years on the road in various countries so in my case it is the first home I have ever lived in for more than 5 years apart from when I was growing up. We live on 15 rai in a valley with a national park behind us with a few chickens and it is mostly quiet and peaceful. It will be better when I have taught the chickens how to tell the time but that is like herding cats.

I truly wish you the best of luck and if you can hack it believe me life is great. Get the best internet connection you can, lots of books and a good computer. Write your life story if only for yourself, learn to cook, perhaps learn photography, get a hobby and just relax as the best part of your life is yet to come.

The first thing you throw away is all the stress and strain of city life and learn the slow old way of life.

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

A significantly increasing number Hotrod. Several hundred farang residents in Amphur Kantharalak these days I reckon - at least double/treble the number 5 years ago. . 3 within 1 click of me. Many more good luck stories than hard luck stories amongst Issaan falang IMO.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

Great post thumbsup.gif

Its obvious that Loles has been burnt in the past.

Of course you are 100 % right, and not only me have been burnt but I know many many similar stories. More than enough. And I'm only 36 not 175 yrs old.

BUT don't be worry at all, if you are willing to be a walking ATM machine, and you are over 70 with a nice last will to them, you are especially favorite and high loved there. Anyway they laugh about yourself behind your back but you have bought many many illusions and the illusion is an expensive good ...