Will I survive in Issan?

Saan

My wife has announced she plans on returning to her family home in Roi Et to look after her parents.

I have lived most of my life in big cities and down sized to Chiang Mai a few years ago where I have friends and am happily ensconced. Her parents live on a farm about 24 km outside the city in a fairly basic house which in some respects is not farang user friendly. Her parents speak no English and not all that much Thai while my Thai is limited. Added to this my wife works for the Government and will be in the city all week during the day. So that leaves me out on farm with parents and brother who has a brain injury and cannot work (motorcycle accident - no helmet). The plan is to build a small house on the property where we will live. There are also 2 teenagers in this equation, my wife's son and her niece.

My questions are: I am nearly 70 and will I be able to survive this transition to rural Issan life? Are there many expats about and do they meet up for a drink or lunch a couples of times a week? Are there shops where I can buy western food? What is the standard of medical care?

Any information will be gratefully received.

• Like 2

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will you survive Isaan at 70 years old?

I would say only for about 20-30 years, after that things will get dicey tongue.png

seriously, it is really up to you and your personality. But what are your choices? you know your wife has to take care of her parents, that's the Thai way, now it comes down to what you love more your way of life, or being with your wife?

When I am in Thailand , we live in KKC, last year we went to Roi-Et to visit a friend, and stayed there a couple of days, It seemed like a nice place with all the modern conveniences a short drive away.

They are building a new Robinson Life Style Center with a Tops Market.

• Like 1

My wife has announced she plans on returning to her family home in Roi Et to look after her parents.

I have lived most of my life in big cities and down sized to Chiang Mai a few years ago where I have friends and am happily ensconced. Her parents live on a farm about 24 km outside the city in a fairly basic house which in some respects is not farang user friendly. Her parents speak no English and not all that much Thai while my Thai is limited. Added to this my wife works for the Government and will be in the city all week during the day. So that leaves me out on farm with parents and brother who has a brain injury and cannot work (motorcycle accident - no helmet). The plan is to build a small house on the property where we will live. There are also 2 teenagers in this equation, my wife's son and her niece.

My questions are: I am nearly 70 and will I be able to survive this transition to rural Issan life? Are there many expats about and do they meet up for a drink or lunch a couples of times a week? Are there shops where I can buy western food? What is the standard of medical care?

Any information will be gratefully

The short answer is patience as it will be tested

received.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You need to think about what happens when you might have a health problem, coz we're not so young in body as we were.

If you've got a good reliable internet connection & transport...well it could be a lovely way to spend the next 20 years.

I used to live in my wife's village for a year when I was 41. But always with my wife. If you think you can speak a little bit of Thai, they'll proof you better.

They usually speak their local slang. Honestly, I'd think twice, as a village is pretty boring, hot, no decent food, etc....

You might have to drive to Roi Et every day. but is it really worth it? I mean building a house for whom? Your wife and her son.

I couldn't live there, as I'm used to bigger places now. Why don't you just visit and try to spend a day there without your wife and you'll see.

• Like 2

I live in a small village in Isaan also, here are some clues for survival:

Do not live near the Temple, loud speakers, or village headman's house

Find out where they have the festivals and where the market comes and do not live near that area.

Be prepared for noise, noise, and more noise. Loud speakers on roving trucks, music, festivals, etc.

I recommend you move to Khon Kaen, and visit Roi Et. Let the wife do the commute. Khon Kaen has plenty of farrang bars, restaurants, western food and shopping, lots of golf.

Even if the locals can speak some Thai, they will not understand your Thai due to your non-Thai accent. I speak a far amount of Thai and the village people do not understand me. But when I go to Udon Thani, or Khon Kaen, I do not have any issues with the locals understanding my Thai.

In summary, don't do it, you'll waste a bunch of money on a house, only to leave it behind when you get sick of the noise, and non-communicative people. You can rent a nice place in Khon Kaen for 15 years for less than the price of building a house in a village.

Yep, the usual wake up news in the morning at around six o' clock. He'll fall in love with it sooner, or later.

Your wife has announce doesn't mean a lot. You're old enough to make your own decisions.

Please try to stay there 48 hours without your wife and you'll see what some people here mean. You're 70 and should think about your own health, proper food, companionship, a good conversation, a game of chess, etc...

Good luck.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

I used to live in my wife's village for a year when I was 41. But always with my wife. If you think you can speak a little bit of Thai, they'll proof you better.

They usually speak their local slang. Honestly, I'd think twice, as a village is pretty boring, hot, no decent food, etc....

You might have to drive to Roi Et every day. but is it really worth it? I mean building a house for whom? Your wife and her son.

I couldn't live there, as I'm used to bigger places now. Why don't you just visit and try to spend a day there without your wife and you'll see.

I agree with this poster - go there and give a try for a few days or weeks. That should give you a better idea of the flow of life there.

Back to your original question - can you survive? Sure - food, shelter etc will take care of that. However at our age, and I am close to yours, we have earned and deserved a bit of comfort and enjoyment as well.

I also agree with another poster concerning medical care - that is something that should evaluated and considered as well.

Take care.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Will you survive ? Probably, but surviving and being content are 2 different things. Here's hoping you can achieve both.

Seems a lot of us have a similar story to tell, but in my case I am fortunate that my wife has no desire to return to the village life in Surin, and if she did it would be without me. I love to go down there and visit the family now and again but after a few days of heat, no internet, dogs barking all night and roosters crowing at all hours, Chiang Mai sure looks good. You don't realize how good the weather is in CM until you leave it.

Move over to Roi Et and there is NO SMOKE. whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/710922-chiang-mai-covered-in-smoke-for-the-4th-day/#entry7561706

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

Unless you enjoy watching rice grow and talking to chickens, don't do it.

You're 70 years old man. Do what makes you happy -- you've earned it. Why would you put yourself through the torment of living in a Thai village? It's not going to fun for you. Spend your golden years in a place that you want to live in -- not where some Thai woman wants to live.

Again, you have 70 years on this planet. You've earned the right to do what makes YOU happy.

Comfort and a close hospitals. Some pals you can talk to. And real food. Screw the parents...you are the Alpha Male now.

• Like 2