Have you had an accident with your motorcycle?

dagling

Now...never say that you are so careful, you are so good driver, you know your way in this country...

I had an accident two and half weeks ago. Never saw it coming. Hate to say broke my own rule of not driving after sunset.

I was returning home on a quite steep hill road. Entered a sharp curve and suddenly had a car in front of me. On my lane. Had to make a split second decision whether to have a full heads on collision or try to steer away.

Went left to the gutter, the right crash bar hit first concrete sign post and the bike turned around me flying on my back about 5-7 meters. Bike went on hitting the second pole turning upside down before landing.

I remember looking my bike on my left side. Remember this was night so could only see the back lights on. Don't remember much until some rescue guys turned up carrying me to their vehicle. Can't remember what kind of car it was neither was I inside or outside or anything.

Next recollection is when at ICU doctor asking me something and giving me my mobile where my friends was on the other end. Managed to call the right number for some family member. Accident occurred around 8 PM and when the call was made it was 2 AM. I have no clue what was going on during those hours.

At some point family turned in and I was taken home. When finally reached home I started vomiting. I suppose it was due to concussion of some sorts. Next two days went in a blur having strong painkillers. My father called and I was talking about the scratches on my bike, nothing about having my ankle in a cast.

Since then slowly improving. Find it awkward to go around with crutches especially since they are too short for me.

The Honda Phantom itself sustained less damage than I thought. Gasoline tank needs to be replaced, mirrors are gone as well as front light and crash bars are done but regarding the smash it could have been much worse.

Helmet was completely smashed so I probably would not here to tell the story if I would not have been using one.

Have been driving in LOS 11 years so have plenty of experience but as said can happen to anyone.

• Like 1

Now...never say that you are so careful, you are so good driver, you know your way in this country...

I had an accident two and half weeks ago. Never saw it coming. Hate to say broke my own rule of not driving after sunset.

I was returning home on a quite steep hill road. Entered a sharp curve and suddenly had a car in front of me. On my lane. Had to make a split second decision whether to have a full heads on collision or try to steer away.

Went left to the gutter, the right crash bar hit first concrete sign post and the bike turned around me flying on my back about 5-7 meters. Bike went on hitting the second pole turning upside down before landing.

I remember looking my bike on my left side. Remember this was night so could only see the back lights on. Don't remember much until some rescue guys turned up carrying me to their vehicle. Can't remember what kind of car it was neither was I inside or outside or anything.

Next recollection is when at ICU doctor asking me something and giving me my mobile where my friends was on the other end. Managed to call the right number for some family member. Accident occurred around 8 PM and when the call was made it was 2 AM. I have no clue what was going on during those hours.

At some point family turned in and I was taken home. When finally reached home I started vomiting. I suppose it was due to concussion of some sorts. Next two days went in a blur having strong painkillers. My father called and I was talking about the scratches on my bike, nothing about having my ankle in a cast.

Since then slowly improving. Find it awkward to go around with crutches especially since they are too short for me.

The Honda Phantom itself sustained less damage than I thought. Gasoline tank needs to be replaced, mirrors are gone as well as front light and crash bars are done but regarding the smash it could have been much worse.

Helmet was completely smashed so I probably would not here to tell the story if I would not have been using one.

Have been driving in LOS 11 years so have plenty of experience but as said can happen to anyone.

Your post gets me thinking of selling my almost new Honda CB500X.

Did some 3-day-trips in the South of Thailand recently. 1.000 km each time.

Must admit I didn't really enjoy those rides as much as I'd expected,

because of:

1. too many maniaks/obstructions/dogs, etc. in the streets

2. a couple of close calls when oncoming traffic cut corners or overtaking in corner and over hills

3. the hot weather, when wearing helmet and protective gear

4. breathing the fumes of trucks, busses, oil burning scooters

5. terrible smell in rubber plantation area for most of the time

Driving very carefully and defensively I never had an accident but I'm aware this can change any minute.

To everybody here: Good luck and come home safely, always.

• Like 1

What actually is the point of your topic?

I think the OP is trying to show either sports bikes (or their riders) are inherently more dangerous than cruisers.

But I think some better research is needed, instead just speaking to a few guys at a bike week.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Yes, it seems that way to me too. Don't mean to be critical but I guess if one rides a sports bike that way one would ride a cruiser, I would think that the sports bike rider would be as safe (if not safer) than the cruiser rider. I say "if not safer" because the sports bike has better power, torque and manoeuvrability to accelerate out of danger if necessary.

Ultimately, it boils down to what the rider wants out of his or her ride. Say I want to pick up a pack of cigarettes from my local 7-11. I would hop on my PCX and ride leisurely. The risk factor in this instance would be extremely low.

Next, I am taking my KLX to Bo Din for a fun ride. On the roads, I would be riding safely, carefully and defensively, watching out for other road users, kids running out onto the streets, idiots running red lights etc etc. Risk factor - still low. Once I hit the dirt however, none of the above are hazards anymore. I would ride differently, although at a lower speed. Risk factor (accident, falling down) - high, due fundamentally to the nature of the activity.

Next, sports bike through twisties. Riding slow, minimal lean angles, keeping revs below 3,000 or so, risk factor - low. Pushing it, scrapping pegs etc, risk factor - higher.

My point is that it's not the bike that you ride, it's the riding style that you want to adopt.

p/s: just remembered. Had two spills on my PCX, once on a very tight u-turn, road dirty, low sided. Second time, in my own garage, locked up the front wheel due to over enthusiastic acceleration.

Most of the accidents are avoidable and preventable, defensive riding doesn't always mean riding at the speed limit, often if means riding way below the limit.

For instance, accident in reply #31(sorry about your luck bud) could have easily been avoided just by riding slower and planning for the escape route before entering the turn, if you took the defensive training, you should have remembered it. I learnt about the idiots overtaking on the blind turns and hills soon after arriving to Thailand and way before I purchased a bike here. I always slow down and pull to the left in those situations. Another comment is, if you're saying the car was passing on your lane and it was a night time, how come you didn't see its lights? You should have seen his lights way before you noticed the car yourself or did he have his headlights off?

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

My point is that it's not the bike that you ride, it's the riding style that you want to adopt.

Hmm...how you suggest to ride through a car that appears in front of you and no time to stop?

People always seem to come from the angle that they know how to ride a bike, they have the right riding style...until one day...I have long since lost my hope that everyone here would comply with even the most simple road rules.

I accept that anything could happen and that has nothing to do with my driving style. I don't like high speed and try always to maintain safe distance if possible.

It only takes one Somchai to cut in front of you and you can screw your driving style. It becomes more like survival of the fittest in a jungle.

• Like 1

Stupid topic, but yes the chance of an accident riding a sports bike is higher but this will apply for any country. And its logical that the risk are .less when cruising at 100 - 120 km/h. So what's the point?

Stupid answer...

You want me to post a picture of a crashed cruiser?

Actually the sports bike would be safer if not going at insane speeds.

I much rather be on a sport's bike than a cruiser or anything else in an emergency stop or dodge at 100-120kph.

If you don't tell why, we won't know what you mean.

Most of the accidents are avoidable and preventable, defensive riding doesn't always mean riding at the speed limit, often if means riding way below the limit.

For instance, accident in reply #31(sorry about your luck bud) could have easily been avoided just by riding slower and planning for the escape route before entering the turn, if you took the defensive training, you should have remembered it. I learnt about the idiots overtaking on the blind turns and hills soon after arriving to Thailand and way before I purchased a bike here. I always slow down and pull to the left in those situations. Another comment is, if you're saying the car was passing on your lane and it was a night time, how come you didn't see its lights? You should have seen his lights way before you noticed the car yourself or did he have his headlights off?

Yeah sure...easily avoided...yep...I'll remember that next time when a car coming at me in a sharp curve about 120 km/h is repeated. As said, the curve was turning right and no way could I've seen lights from that spot.

I find your post holier-than-thou. I hope you will not have to test your skills in a similar situation. I consider myself rather experienced and never drive faster than I feel is safe.

Every situation is different and they do not go away by dribbling something about defensive driving or similar.

I believe I am giving up my bike and stick to my car. My partner has always said that it's not safe and I should believe, I guess. Just enjoy the easy going on a bike looking at the greenery.

Edited by onni4me

Hmm...how you suggest to ride through a car that appears in front of you and no time to stop?

People always seem to come from the angle that they know how to ride a bike, they have the right riding style...until one day...I have long since lost my hope that everyone here would comply with even the most simple road rules.

I accept that anything could happen and that has nothing to do with my driving style. I don't like high speed and try always to maintain safe distance if possible.

It only takes one Somchai to cut in front of you and you can screw your driving style. It becomes more like survival of the fittest in a jungle.

First off, most bike accidents are single person accidents, meaning no other person/vehicle involved. This is where riding style comes into play. If you ride hard and fast, then you are more likely to have an accident than riding slower.

In other scenarios, assuming the same riding style regardless of bike type, I would argue that riding a sports bike is probably safest, due to it's performance. Being able to brake hard (and stop safely), being able to pull away from danger at a split second's notice, all these makes sports bikes safer than scooters or cruisers.

I disagree with your comment that "anything could happen and that has nothing to do with my driving style".

It has ALL to do with your driving style (included in that is also your state of mind, focus, concentration), not the bike that you ride. I have had many Somchais cut in front of me, dogs running across the street, even once a chicken (point of fact: Versys vs chicken, Versys wins). However, whilst it is hard to read the mind of a dog or chicken, it's easier with the Somchais. Maybe not exactly reading their minds (as very often, they don't possess any) but to able to identify potential hazards and to prepare and ride accordingly.

For example, say you are following a slow truck. The opposing road is clear, with no oncoming traffic for a few hundred metres. With my super fast sports bike, I can overtake and be back in my lane in two seconds flat. Should I go for it? Answer is that it depends. I saw a traffic sign indication a junction a sec ago. That means there is a possibility of another vehicle pulling out of this junction in front of the truck into the oncoming lane. So, don't overtake. If there is no intersection in the distance that I would need to overtake, what about parked vehicles on either side of the road. If on my side, this vehicle could pull out in front of the truck forcing the truck to pull over to the oncoming lane and in the process push me off the road. If on the other side, same could happen.

So in answer to your question of how to ride through a car that appears in front of you and no time to stop, you should not be putting yourself into that situation in the first instance. Continously read the traffic, look ahead (not at your front tyre), anticipate what other road users might do no matter how ridiculous and adjust your riding style and speed accordingly. Make sure that your tyre pressures are correct, brakes working well, cover the brake and clutch when riding in traffic or approaching intersections. Be aware of who's on your tail as this will determine if you should brake hard or take evasive action. I learnt all these not from riding bikes (I don't consider myself a good rider as I've only been riding a short time) but from driving a car for over 30 years.

• Like 2

2. a couple of close calls when oncoming traffic cut corners or overtaking in corner and over hills

Yes! One of my big hates.

Also happens with traffic going in the same direction.

The bike will be in the outside outside lane and a vehicle on the inside (or vice-versa) when approaching a corner. You'll hold your lane but the vehicle will drift into the other lane to cut the corner without checking mirrors and causing a 'situation'. We had to 'lecture' a few drivers about this the past weekend.

Not quite as dangerous as with oncoming traffic as you usually can expect and prepare for this occurrence. But annoying nevertheless. Just lazy, ignorant driving.

• Like 1

Yeah sure...easily avoided...yep...I'll remember that next time when a car coming at me in a sharp curve about 120 km/h is repeated. As said, the curve was turning right and no way could I've seen lights from that spot.

Well don't put yourself in this situation next time. That what it means driving/riding defensively.

Also I didn't mean seeing his headlights but the light from his headlights. Can't imagine what the bend needs to be for someone not to see the light.

I find your post holier-than-thou. I hope you will not have to test your skills in a similar situation. I consider myself rather experienced and never drive faster than I feel is safe.

Ever asked yourself a "what if" question while approaching blind turn or a hill? No? You should then. "What if" there's some loose gravel on that bend ahead of me?

"What if" there's a road construction?

"What if there's an idiot overtaking over that blind hill or a corner?

Is your speed appropriate to take an evasive action or to break safely in case one of the "what ifs" turns out to be true?

You can ignore what I said and continue arguing but I think your defensive skills are up for renewal, you can also tell your tale to the defensive driving instructor and see what they say.

"Faster than I feel is save" was too fast in your case.

Every situation is different and they do not go away by dribbling something about defensive driving or similar.

I believe I am giving up my bike and stick to my car. My partner has always said that it's not safe and I should believe, I guess. Just enjoy the easy going on a bike looking at the greenery.

Probably a good idea if you want to stay alive with your stuck up opinion and your attitude. Sorry if I hurt your feelings with my constructive criticism.

I think the OP is trying to show either sports bikes (or their riders) are inherently more dangerous than cruisers.

But I think some better research is needed, instead just speaking to a few guys at a bike week.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Indeed, and a more appropriate, if not interesting, line of questioning would be, of the accidents one has had, how many were single vehicle vs accidents that involved another party?

My guess, not based on any evidence whatsoever, is that of the accidents that occurred were the bike was being operated in a manner suitable for the conditions, then the proportion between cruiser and sport bike accidents would be roughly even. The argument against sports bikes is inherently that the riders tend to take more risks and go faster, and therefore are exposed to more danger and have a higher rate of incidents. All quite logical really no?

The ones I've had have all been single vehicle incidents relating to my own stupidity.

Perhaps I ride more safely around others?

Don't think the guy in this video was as lucky though. Can't figure out <deleted> the scooter was doing in the middle of the road that was forcing traffic to go around it in the first place, or why traffic decided to start going around it by going over the the wrong side of the road.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=251078191708450

Jeez, everything about that is so Thai.

Especially the end when the car and the pick-up drive off.

What a country/culture/society! :(

Ever asked yourself a "what if" question while approaching blind turn or a hill? No? You should then. "What if" there's some loose gravel on that bend ahead of me?

Is your speed appropriate to take an evasive action or to break safely in case one of the "what ifs" turns out to be true?

You can ignore what I said and continue arguing but I think your defensive skills are up for renewal, you can also tell your tale to the defensive driving instructor and see what they say.

Have you honestly ever ridden a bike in your life?

Doesnt sound like it.

Have you honestly ever ridden a bike in your life?

Doesnt sound like it.

Don't know where you came with this idea but whatever...

Yes, that's what we call anecdotal evidence - does not generalize.