Bang Saen hit with oil slick

Lite Beer

Bang Saen hit with oil slick

CHONBURI, 16 March 2014 (NNT) -- Oil slicks have been reported at Bang Saen Beach, causing over 100 of beach-goers to suffer from skin irritation.

The San Suk Municipality had to announce the beach closed temporarily on Saturday afternoon. Those who were suffering from skin irritation were taken to nearby hospitals

The asphalt-like substance stretched 2.5 kilometers on Bang Saen shoreline.

An initial investigation suggested that the substance was bunker oil that might have come from a fishing boat that illegally dumped its used oil into the sea. Workers and heavy machines were immediately brought in to clean up the beach.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-16 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

How do you get used bunker oil? Like this:

969451_10151625232163324_1610438268_n.jp392296_10151625232263324_286889022_n.jpg

Let me try and explain. Bunker oil is fuel oil. That means it goes through the engine/boilers. The only way 'USED' bunker oil leaves a vessel is up the funnel as a combination of gases and particulates. The most common cause of what you see in that photograph is some idiot pumping their bilges or pumping another tank out after cleaning.

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/644095-oil-spill-virgin-coast-koh-samui/

Edited by Dellboy218
  • Like 2

On the positive side is that as Bang Saen Beach is one of the worlds filthiest beaches anyway, so any reason for the lazy Saen Suk authorities to clean it up would be very welcome!

It beats me why anyone finds sitting by this beach, let alone swimming in it (except at low tide when the high water rubbish mark is way up the beach and out of harms way), beats me, but he visitors walk through the trash hand in hand, have their photos taken amongst it as if it is invisible - so perhaps the oil slick wont be noticed by the majority..... I love thailand for many things but the rubbish issue really does get me down a lot.

• Like 1

Marine department to impose harsh penalties to solve oil slick in sea
By English News

1394962426882-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, March 16 - The Marine Department plans to impose harsher punishment against those found to have released oil into the sea in the wake of recent oil slick in Thailand's renowned eastern seaside resort of Bang Saen.

The Marine Department director-general Sorasak Saensombat made remarks following the several kilometres oil slick illegally released off the coast of Bang Saen beach in Chonburi province, affecting the tourism industry in the area.

Mr Sorasak said he has instructed officials to conduct investigation on the case to find the culprits. It is initially believed that some boats released the oil into the sea.

He said the department is finding expert private firms to clean up the beach and will discuss approaches and negotiate the budget with them.

For the long term solution against the illegal oil release, Mr Sorasak said the department will consider increasing severity of the penalty from the current fine of Bt60,000 and 3-year imprisonment.

He said the offenders would also have to pay for any clean-up costs, expressing his belief that harsher punishment will help reduce the problem. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-03-16

• Like 2

There will be no outcome to the investigation. There never is Thailand. Any 'culprit' will, of course, pay 'tea money' to the investigating officials long before things get to that point.

More likely scenario- completely innocent foreign shipowner will get a huge bill and a lot of negative press, complete with finger pointing.

Edited by impulse

The royal Thai Navy has over 70,000 men, quite a few ships and some planes and helicopters.

Some of those resources are at Sattahip and Utapao, close to many of the Eastern Seaboard resorts.

It really wouldn't be very hard for the Navy to spot some of these 'oil dumpers' and 'bilge pumpers', take photographs and sink prosecute them.

Bunker oil is indeed fuel oil and comes in many forms and the fishing industry would be using the low 200 sec oil or diesel which does not leave an asphalt like appearance. It is far more likely to be tank washings from a far larger vessel using heavy fuel oil.

• Like 1

People actually saw an oil slick and still swam in it?

I didnt read where anyone said they saw the slick and then went into the water.

Oil slicks can be hard to see in moving water, particularly if the oil is widely dispersed. Oil as not always the typical dark sludge that is often seen on TV and other media. Lighting conditions can also make it hard to see.

"I read and try not to edit what I read."

CHON BURI
Oil spill at Bang Saen beach

The Nation

30229377-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- TOURISTS who were affected or soiled by the oil spill on Saturday at Bang Saen beach in Chon Buri, a popular weekend getaway, were given assistance yesterday.

It was not immediately known whether the Bang Saen spill was connected to the massive crude oil wash-up on the coast of neighbouring Rayong province last August.

Saruwuth Rodyoo, acting mayor of Saen Suk, which oversees the beach located in Muang district, said samples of the contamination were being collected to find the source of the leak, and that a complaint was lodged with police to find out who was responsible.

Tourists and young children have been cautioned against swimming near the beach. Mobile showers have been arranged for visitors stained by the spill and treatment for rashes is available on request, he said.

Saruwuth did not say clearly whether the oil was crude, which was the same type leaking from submerged pipelines owned by PTT Global Chemical that devastated Phrao Bay on Samet island. In Rayong, a group of fishermen and others in the fishery industry met to discuss legal action to seek compensation from PTTGC.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-17

CHON BURI

Oil spill at Bang Saen beach

The Nation

30229377-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- TOURISTS who were affected or soiled by the oil spill on Saturday at Bang Saen beach in Chon Buri, a popular weekend getaway, were given assistance yesterday.

It was not immediately known whether the Bang Saen spill was connected to the massive crude oil wash-up on the coast of neighbouring Rayong province last August.

Saruwuth Rodyoo, acting mayor of Saen Suk, which oversees the beach located in Muang district, said samples of the contamination were being collected to find the source of the leak, and that a complaint was lodged with police to find out who was responsible.

Tourists and young children have been cautioned against swimming near the beach. Mobile showers have been arranged for visitors stained by the spill and treatment for rashes is available on request, he said.

Saruwuth did not say clearly whether the oil was crude, which was the same type leaking from submerged pipelines owned by PTT Global Chemical that devastated Phrao Bay on Samet island. In Rayong, a group of fishermen and others in the fishery industry met to discuss legal action to seek compensation from PTTGC.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-03-17

Would it be too hard to close the beach and clean it?

What a bunch of idiots. We give showers and medicine for rashes....

Bang Saen Beach returns to normal after oil slick removed
By Digital Content

13950248317337.jpg

CHON BURI, March 17 -- Thailand's famed Bang Saen in the eastern province of Chon Buri has returned to normal after a new oil slick was removed but only few tourists have turned up.

The agencies concerned on Sunday joined together to rid the beach of the oil slick which covered several kilometres of oceanfront in the renowned seaside resort of Pattaya.

The beach has returned to normal, with only a little oil slick left after the cleanup operation. However, shops along the beach said that few visitors have returned.

They said the oil slick severely affected tourism as well as speed boat service. Tourists no longer feel swimming is safe after many suffered from skin irritation and were taken to hospital for medical treatment.

The origin of the new oil slick, discovered Thursday night, remains unknown, but it was thought to have released from ships that illegally dumped their used oil into the sea at the Bang Pakong estuary or offshore at Si Racha district.

Marine Department director-general Sorasak Saensombat earlier said he had instructed officials to investigate the case.

For long term solutions to illegal oil releases, Mr Sorasak said the department will consider increasing the severity of the penalty from the current fine of Bt60,000 and 3-year imprisonment.

He said the offenders would also have to pay for any clean-up costs, expressing his belief that harsher punishment will help reduce the problem. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-03-17

On the positive side is that as Bang Saen Beach is one of the worlds filthiest beaches anyway, so any reason for the lazy Saen Suk authorities to clean it up would be very welcome!

It beats me why anyone finds sitting by this beach, let alone swimming in it (except at low tide when the high water rubbish mark is way up the beach and out of harms way), beats me, but he visitors walk through the trash hand in hand, have their photos taken amongst it as if it is invisible - so perhaps the oil slick wont be noticed by the majority..... I love thailand for many things but the rubbish issue really does get me down a lot.

You love Thailand for many things, eh? Sounds more to me like you enjoyed jumping right in and taking your cheap shot along with a bit of embellishing- Re: "...one of the world's filthiest beaches."

Already been blamed on a "foreign cargo ship". No surprise there then. Oh and they've also blamed the garbage on the same ship apparently. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Over-100-Bang-Saen-beach-goers-suffer-skin-irritat-30229325.html

cheesy.gif No surprise there then. "Our shit doesn't stink".

The TAT should promote a lot of local beaches with some welcome to join the "Festival Of Litter" promotion.

• 4 weeks later...

Huh , sorry i just dont get the fact that a boat that uses expensive unused oil to power a boat would want to dump it it ( unused ) into the sea ?

Used engine oil or maybe whinch motor oil maybe , but in this sort of quantity, mmmm smells of denial of a bigger more powerful culprit that shall not be blamed to me, because the backhand provider may suffer more -ve feedback than they want at the moemnt following Koh Samet incident recently.

969451_10151625232163324_1610438268_n.jp392296_10151625232263324_286889022_n.jpg

Let me try and explain. Bunker oil is fuel oil. That means it goes through the engine/boilers. The only way 'USED' bunker oil leaves a vessel is up the funnel as a combination of gases and particulates. The most common cause of what you see in that photograph is some idiot pumping their bilges or pumping another tank out after cleaning.

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/644095-oil-spill-virgin-coast-koh-samui/

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

yes my thoughts exactly , someone is trying desparately to redirect the fault here , as it may create more headaches and less tea money being made available if the truth really came out .

• 2 weeks later...

Is bunker oil like crude ? Is it cheaper to buy as it is not as refined and kind of made usable on board the ships by boilers in engines that can take kind of whatever ?

It depends what type of fuel oil your talking about, there are 5 grades of fuel oil, the most common these days is MGO this is a type of diesel used for marine vessels