I'm Craving

KhunMarco

I dream the "red thing" at night, no kidding.

Any chance to find this "type" here?

I have all I need, Italian Extra vergin Oil of Olive, balsamic vinegar from Modena, home made bread (Pugliese type for the Italian bread lovers...), but can't find the darned tomato.

Help, this thing is going to cause me severe brain damage :o:D

post-17766-1149181845_thumb.jpg

Edited by KhunMarco

It looks like a big "Beef" tomato. I have seen them, on occasion, in Rimping. But it is possibly the wrong time of year now. They appreciate drier weather.

(I have seeds and will be growing some later in the year.

It looks like a big "Beef" tomato. I have seen them, on occasion, in Rimping. But it is possibly the wrong time of year now. They appreciate drier weather.

(I have seeds and will be growing some later in the year.

Rimping here I come, I'll go and take a look around.

I've never seen them in Thailand, it's a national disgrace :D:D , I used to eat full bowls of them in salad ..slurp... or with mozzarella cheese ,fresh basil, a bit of black pepper (alla Caprese).

Oh gee i feel dizzy... :o

If someone see them anywhere please let me know. :D

thanks p1p

Edited by KhunMarco

golden place market in hua hin often have beefsteak tomatoes , tesco at rama 4 in bangkok also have them.

i am also a fan of tomatoes , and would love to grow some , any advice (soil type , seed variety type , etc.) for growing them in pots on a balcony .

Good luck growing them! I live in Loei where it is cool enough. I tried the plain soil in the garden and they all died. I tried sterilized potting soil and they all died. A friend of mine brought me four different kinds of seeds that were recommended for Florida. I have had at least four separate plantings at all times of the year and NEVER had any luck. I guess I just don't have the green thumb. :o

Good luck growing them! I live in Loei where it is cool enough. I tried the plain soil in the garden and they all died. I tried sterilized potting soil and they all died. A friend of mine brought me four different kinds of seeds that were recommended for Florida. I have had at least four separate plantings at all times of the year and NEVER had any luck. I guess I just don't have the green thumb. :o

I don't think it's a question of having a green thumb Gary, I can grow just about anything, but NOT tomatoes. Like yourself, I have tried three or four different types of seeds, and soil varieties, and seeding them in alternate seasons, still no luck. The closest I got was with Grosse Lisse, they actually got to about three foot high, had flowers, and the fruit was just setting....then.....they got powerdery mildew :D I will give them one more try come "spring"

The "beef" tomatoes from Rimping are simply delicious, and full of flavour, but alas, I havn't seen them there for some time now.

I don't think it's a question of having a green thumb Gary, I can grow just about anything, but NOT tomatoes. Like yourself, I have tried three or four different types of seeds, and soil varieties, and seeding them in alternate seasons, still no luck. The closest I got was with Grosse Lisse, they actually got to about three foot high, had flowers, and the fruit was just setting....then.....they got powerdery mildew :D I will give them one more try come "spring"

The "beef" tomatoes from Rimping are simply delicious, and full of flavour, but alas, I havn't seen them there for some time now.

I tried growing Tomatillos and had no luck. Same as you MM, they grew to about three feet, flowered then got a dusty white mold-like problem and died. I couldn't find anyone in Thailand who knew how to treat it.

I tried growing Tomatillos and had no luck. Same as you MM, they grew to about three feet, flowered then got a dusty white mold-like problem and died. I couldn't find anyone in Thailand who knew how to treat it.

The dusty mould is called "powdery midew" and is quite common even in the west, and usually a sign of over watering, or insufficient drainage. A lot of antifungicides will work successfully if caught in early stages, but if serious.......no tommies :D

One last try come spring :o Never say die!!!

Oh no, this is disturbing news !

I've got seeds for Italian Plum Tomatoes, was having visions of my own sun dried tomatoes.

Anyone got any good news ? :D

Sigh, isn't life a bi*ch ? :D:o:D

post-17766-1149251025.jpg

Edited by KhunMarco

Oh no, this is disturbing news !

I've got seeds for Italian Plum Tomatoes, was having visions of my own sun dried tomatoes.

Anyone got any good news ? :D

The "Quick Grow" "Roma" "Cherry" and bush type tomatoes might be far better suited to home growing. Why not give it a trial now PL? Get some 50mm plastic seedling pots, and make up a nice compost rich soil mix, and pop a few seeds in. Keep them moist, but not too wet.

I want a sample when they are ripe just to make sure you did it right :o

The red rubber balls they sell in the market have no juice and no flavor. The simply will not do. :o

The wife had some cherry tomatoes that did quite well. I don't know what they are called but they were delicious. Juicy and very flavorful. If she can find some more of those seeds that will keep me satisfied while I try to grow some big ones.

Here's a local variety that seems to crop rather well. They are a little larger than a golf ball, but if left to ripen on the bush, they can be full of flavour.

They crop similar to the "Roma" in large clumps, and the seed are available at supermarkets and all gardening supply shops.

post-7622-1149255830_thumb.jpg

Look at this beauty!

You can eat them just like that,...from the plant, they are naturally salted, full of juice.

I like them not too ripe with still a lilly bit of green ...CRUNCH! :o

I'm developing a fetish for beef tomatoes... buahhaa :D

post-17766-1149258788_thumb.jpg

I think I've got some "Roma", but Im not the careful type of gardener, I was hopeing that with the good soil around my place they would kind of take care of themselves :o

But I guess I'll be visiting the market for a while yet !

I think it's important to shelter the plants from the rain so you can control the amount of water they are getting. I have about a dozen chili pepper plants (Anaheim, Ancho, Habanero and Jalapeno) and they did great in the dry season. Once it started raining they got to wet and now are having a hard time. I'm thinking planting under an eve or patio where they get sun would be a good bet.

I grow tomatoes in a home-made hydroponic setup under (75%) shade netting. They seem to be doing very well there. We have had well over 150 Kilos of Italian plum types in the last few months, used to make my sauce. I am now starting to experiment and growing some more exotic types, heritage yellows, blacks, whites and giants in different varieties.

My personal dream, remembered from childhood, is to grow the brilliant, lemon-yellow type with a sweet flavour similar to a plum, unbelievably delicious. I used to raid the vines on a daily basis when they were ripening!

P1p, are you doing true hydroponic ie no soil or are you useing natural soil with strictly controled watering ? useing straight natural water or with fertilizer ?

150 kg of Plums !, yum.

The seeds are planted in small pots of sterilized vermiculite, then placed with the pot base in flowing, circulating, nutrition-rich water from a 600 Litre tank.

(To simplify the discription), at the start, the nutrition is nitrogen-rich to promote strong, healthy leaves. As the flowers appear, I add extra phosphorous etc to promote the formation of fruit. Check and adjust pH and nutrition levels on a daily basis. Seems to work well.

Most important is to keep the sun off. If the shade is removed, the plants die - this is true in the garden soil grown plants too.