Can a child born outside of marriage have the Fathers surname?

Whiteraven

According to Thai law she is not your daughter, so you cannot take her out of the country. US passport or not.

What you would need to do is to legalize the child by petitioning the court to be awarded parental rights, which you would in all probability get (unless someone proofs you are totally unfit as a parent). If you don't, the grandparents would probably be awarded with custody over the child or an aunt as being relatives of the child.

(A will from he mother asking for you to be awarded custody in case of her death could also go far).

But you have to understand this is Thailand and you need to legalize the child under Thai law, not US law.

Get a dna test. Get one from the internet and do it yourself. It is just a swab inside of the mouth. About $75. US.

I had a gf for about 5 years and she got pregnant about 3 weeks into my visit. 1st dr. said 2 mnoths pregnant. 2d dr. said 1 month pregnant after she and dr had conversation in private Thai. I think there was a conspiracy to make me a father. The biology didn't add up so, I was a little suspicious. After birth (7 Months from my visit), I did the dna test and I was not the father with 100% certainty. I also questioned the integrity of a Thai hospital doing a dna test. Which was way more expensive than internet test. I was told, at the UPS counter, there would be no problem sending it via UPS. My gf was doing the order. We left thinking job was done. 15 minutes later, gf got a call saying it could not be sent. We returned to find package opened. I took another swab and sent it myself in the US. I might be paranoid but, I think there was a lot of help provided to make me a father.

Godd luck. otis

DNA tests!!! they are not necessary if you are named on the birth certificate..

I can't think of a single example where someone has ever needed a DNA test in these circumstances at least from a British perspective.

DNA tests are only required when there is doubt, or perhaps the matter is being argued in court.

The OP is asking a simple question, why confuse him even further with talk of such nonsense!

just need to be on the birth certificate. i know from experience.

Our son was born in 2011, named after me and with a English name that works in Thai too.

Just be sure to use CAPITAL LETTERS when you supply the name for the child and the father and it will be a far better translation on the certificate.

Im not sure why, but for our son they wrote his name with the title MASTER (not mister) ... and now it even say so in his Thai passport ;)

And as stated before, in Thailand as in many other places the father, if known, get to pass his family name!

Wedding might just be for some leverage, and maybe money, or "face", thats my guess!

I am from Western Europe. My next door neighbor had his first of 5 children 40 years ago when a Father had no rights as a father if he was not married to their Mother. In the eyes of the law...the children literally were b - - - - - - s. However, he had no difficulty having himself registered as the Father thus the children having his surname. Even though he still had no rights concerning them....he would still have been liable for child maintainance if that situation arose later on....because he was the registered Father.

I'm going with the your being stitched up brigade. I have a son (20 months) who has my surname, a Christian name and a British passport and no i'm not married.

I have also left the country twice with him, without his mother, no problems and no questions asked.

Appalling question. If a man creates a child out of wedlock, the child is the mothers' , not his..his name is only "Bastard" in reference to thus man. However if thus coward of a man stands correct & marries, then the child can be whole, more so in future life pertaining to "true" memories.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Appalling question. If a man creates a child out of wedlock, the child is the mothers' , not his..his name is only "Bastard" in reference to thus man. However if thus coward of a man stands correct & marries, then the child can be whole, more so in future life pertaining to "true" memories.

I bet you're fun at parties.

• Like 1

I call bullshit by his partner. My first born 2012 in BKK, my Thai partner and I aren't married. Child has my family name on passport and birth certificate (took a bit of twisting and turning to get the Thai characters right though!). Was never once queried or questioned at any stage by anyone at the hospital registration or at the city office when applying for the passport.

Wouldn't be the first pile of bullshit she has spun. Just think it's disgusting to use a child to manipulate any man into marriage. I'm a woman so that's really saying something.

Thanks Thai Bairn love your response :)

Thanks Thai Bairn love your response smile.png

oz893 Appalling question!!! Let's remember that the woman was there at time of conception too. She also chose to have sex outside of wedlock. If everyone that fell pregnant married the Father of the child there would be an even higher divorce rate. No woman should use pregnancy to ensure marriage. That is appalling. The man the question is regarding is my Brother and I His Sister and speaking from the female perspective I am appalled that there are still women who will manipulate and lie where a childs name is concerned or in regards to anything for that matter to bully anyone into marriage. Appalling utterly appalling.

Hi, Last September I had a child with my Thai girlfriend. my daughter took my surname. We registered her birth at the local Amphur. Obviously you need your passport and the paper from the hospital with your surname on it. Hopefully he will have been present at the hospital when the child was born and presented his passport to them so that the child was registered with his surname with the hospital. If all that is OK then no problem. I also recommend registering the birth with the Australian Embassy as soon as possible. This helps later should you want to apply for an Australian passport. I am actually British but I think that should be the case with Australia too. If he wants to apply for the child to have a Thai passport then he will need to go along with the child and the mother. Hope this helps.

Thanks it has been a great help. Much appreciated

Absolutely no problem for me either and the hospital dealt with everything..

However the mother may be reluctant because the child may face some discrimination in later life if he/she has a foreign surname.

BS, unless the surname is not farang

my daughter was born in udon hospital.on that day i went upto to admin with my girlfriends mother they said they needed a translation of my uk passport

so we went to town and got one,went back to hospital and they did the paperwork,went to government building and that was that,one birth cert.no questions asked except

what is your daughters name.got a birth cert,went to passport office got a passport went to british embassey applied for passport got it then registered her as a british citizen and got a british passport,did it all with her mother,,girlfriend was still in bed,in hospital..

so your answer is yes you can give the child your name...

• Like 1

Thanks Thai Bairn love your response smile.png

oz893 Appalling question!!! Let's remember that the woman was there at time of conception too. She also chose to have sex outside of wedlock. If everyone that fell pregnant married the Father of the child there would be an even higher divorce rate. No woman should use pregnancy to ensure marriage. That is appalling. The man the question is regarding is my Brother and I His Sister and speaking from the female perspective I am appalled that there are still women who will manipulate and lie where a childs name is concerned or in regards to anything for that matter to bully anyone into marriage. Appalling utterly appalling.

I never brought a question in case you quoted on an obvious misquote. But sometimes I also think women are a bit over dramatic about the pain from the birthing process whereas with men, as prostrate infection is closer to the end of the world...pleaaaaassssseee kill me!

Women will always have first say if out of marriage, but if in marriage or soon to be or sticking around for such responsibility (every aspect of care/love for the child's life), then equal.

Absolutely no problem for me either and the hospital dealt with everything..

However the mother may be reluctant because the child may face some discrimination in later life if he/she has a foreign surname.

BS, unless the surname is not farang

BS to the both of you! Idiots! Will forgive those bigot thoughts prior to the birth of a new life.