SUV options

Pi Sek

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying SUVs for corporate use. I need two, they have to be 4x4 and diesel-fueled, preferably with 7-seat capability. I would love to hear experiences of people who have owned any these cars:

"Regular" SUVs:

• Ford Everest 3.0 VG Turbo - I have owned an earlier version before. Reliable, spacious, generally a good car, and the least expensive on this list at 1.27m Baht for full spec. It's only 6-seat but the middle row can comfortably seat 3 adults.
  • Toyota Fortuner - I see too many of these cars and don't like them mainly because of that (subjective!). But you can't argue that their re-sell value is pretty good, and that's a big factor for my superiors
  • Mazda CX-5 High 4WD - no 7-seat option available (although I think some countries do the 7-seat?). A lot of people say it wins on fuel usage.
  • Honda CR-V 2.4 EL 4WD - no 7-seat option available, quite expensive compared to other "regular" SUVs. No diesel version?
  • Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - the latest model is quite recent... is this a positive (good, reliable, usable tech) or a negative (new tech still faulty)?
  • Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 Duramax - I test-drove this the other day, must say I was quite impressed
  • Isuzu MU-X 4x4 - the latest model is quite recent... is this a positive (good, reliable, usable tech) or a negative (new tech still faulty)? (I like the seat config... are they only fold forward are is the middle row removable?)

Luxury SUVs:

• Mercedes-Benz GL - I think a great choice except for the fact that they cost 9m Baht. Can't seem to find any 2nd hand ones, so I can't say anything about depreciation.
  • BMW X-5 - no 7-seat option available in Thailand
  • Porsche Cayenne S Turbo - no 7-seat option available, and it costs 11.3m Baht. Resells after 100,000 km around 3m Baht.
  • Lexus RX 350 - no 7-seat option available

Probably not very well received, but fits all points on the bill: Kia Sorrento

x 7 seats

x diesel engine

x 4x4

Can't remember well the price and Kia Thailand website sucks....around 1.6-1.7m I think.

Resale would be pretty poor i guess, otherwise a nice SUV which of course in Thailand is underrated.

• Like 1

The pajero is not that recent I think?

Indeed, I've just double-checked and the 2nd generation Pajero Sport has been in production since 2008. However I think there is a current 2014 version with different driver assistance systems, gadgets, etc, as the brochure has been recently updated for the "new Pajero Sport" (in other words, the question remains... do they all work?).

x 7 seats

x diesel engine

x 4x4

Can't remember well the price and Kia Thailand website sucks....around 1.6-1.7m I think.

Resale would be pretty poor i guess, otherwise a nice SUV which of course in Thailand is underrated.

Thanks for that... actually I was also considering the Hyundai but decided against it as there's no service centre near me (which is also the case for the "luxury" SUVs on my list). Kia is the same, but I didn't even know about Kia in Thailand (for some reason I thought they were Malaysian - they're Korean). Unless I was going for something really OTT in terms of "Wow" factor, I'd be hesitant to propose a regular SUV that meant they had to travel any more than 30 minutes to the nearest service centre.

Indeed, I've just double-checked and the 2nd generation Pajero Sport has been in production since 2008. However I think there is a current 2014 version with different driver assistance systems, gadgets, etc, as the brochure has been recently updated for the "new Pajero Sport" (in other words, the question remains... do they all work?).

I think in 2010 they changes to the newer more powerful 2.5 litre Engine from the 3.0 litre. I can't speak for all the extra later model gadgets but the engine is a good one as it's the same as what's in the Triton.

We have 4x4 PJS and Fortuner, both are good. The Toyota's engine is better but the Mitsu chassis and interior is a little nicer, at least for me.

These two have proper all wheel drive systems with a center diff so they are good on the highway but also good off road. The others are either part time like the MUX, Trailblazer or Everest (good off road) or FWD with rear drive added like the CR-V, Captiva, Escape and CX-5 etc (not so good off road).

The PJS and Fortuner are older than the MUX and Trailblazer but have had upgrades through their model lives. Most of the newer stuff on the PJS has been in other markets for some time (Rear disc brakes and stability system).

Early Fortuners had some issue with brakes and early PJS had some rear diff issues but both seem to be sorted now. The MUX / Trailblazer probably still too new / low volume for any issues to be identified.

Ssangyong have a couple of models in this category too but like Hyundai, Kia and the upmarket brands their dealer network is less than impressive.

Excellent feedback, thanks.

A well spec'd toyota commuter might do the job

I have looked at this also. I'm sure if one was totally gutted out and re-fitted it could make a seriously luxurious limousine. But unfortunately it still looks like a minibus, and that is a deal-breaker.

Ref: Luxury SUV's

The Cayenne S Hybrid is 6.65M Baht - and the Turbo S is is 20M Baht, not 11M.. (official importer prices)

GL Class - the X166 series is the first to be officially imported - there are plenty of grey market X164's around though, but they're light years behind the X166 (IMHO). Wait for 2016 when this gets a tax break under the new CO2 based excise laws, or just wait for the Hybrid version expected in 2015-16 - both should see prices dropping to the ~7M range.

And a few you didn't mention:

Range Rover Sport (7 seats) - 7.75M

Audi Q7 (7 seats) - 6.85M

Hummer H2 (6 seats) - 7.8M

Volvo XC90 (7 seats) - 3.8M

Mazda CX-9 (7 seats) - 3.8M

Word is that Ford still have plenty of the 100 Territories they imported still in stock too - 7 seats, 3M Baht.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

I think in 2010 they changes to the newer more powerful 2.5 litre Engine from the 3.0 litre. I can't speak for all the extra later model gadgets but the engine is a good one as it's the same as what's in the Triton.

The 3.2L engine was retired, and replaced by an upgraded 178HP (from 140) 2.5L in Jan 2011.

No idea when will be on-road here, but has been lots of news and pictures about of the upcoming Nissan X-Trail, model T32, also with 7 seat options..

On sale in Japan Dec 2013, so say followed by India and Thailand 2014... maybe someone in the know ?

post-42643-0-47105800-1395620972_thumb.j

• Like 1

No idea when will be on-road here, but has been lots of news and pictures about of the upcoming Nissan X-Trail, model T32, also with 7 seat options..

On sale in Japan Dec 2013, so say followed by India and Thailand 2014... maybe someone in the know ?

2014-nissan-x-trail-1.jpg

Another of their Indonesian imports? No thanks.

Out of curiosity what makes you think a car assembled in Indonesia and any less better than one assembled here?

• 1 month later...

I decided on Toyota due to many service chances, abundant parts, and relatively cheap. The other end of this decision method would be a Peugeot .

x 7 seats

x diesel engine

x 4x4

Thanks for that... actually I was also considering the Hyundai but decided against it as there's no service centre near me (which is also the case for the "luxury" SUVs on my list). Kia is the same, but I didn't even know about Kia in Thailand (for some reason I thought they were Malaysian - they're Korean). Unless I was going for something really OTT in terms of "Wow" factor, I'd be hesitant to propose a regular SUV that meant they had to travel any more than 30 minutes to the nearest service centre.