Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

Well Well Well here we go again with the media taking it the wrong way, any western person would come to the first meaning of what he was talking about, the bridge has a slope on it meaning it is lower on one side than the other. The saying, it slopes to one side. No backing for him from any of the media, if I was Him I would put 2 fingers up to them all and for desert spread the cheeks of my ass. He di nothing wrong probably does not know that meaning any way.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to love the irony..JC in a racial row in one of the most racist countries in the world.

Pretty sure that none of the complaints are coming from Thailand, the UK has to have the most PC people on earth. Most of them probably unaware that we are referred to (quite openly) as FARANG.

Keep it up Jezza.

It was only a year and a half or so ago that ESPN in the US fired some sports editor because of what he said about Chinese American basketball player Jeremy Lin. After Lin turned the ball over 10 times, the editor wrote that his turnovers was a "chink in his armor." But then again the US is the same place the term "Black Magic" is considered racist by many. I don't know anything about this guy, but the situation certainly looks ambiguous enough. I don't know how you can even use language if people are going to misinterpret what you say intentionally. Soon, nobody will say anything, other than, "have a nice day."

If you can't see the difference in these two phrases in their context then you really should look again.

Well Well Well here we go again with the media taking it the wrong way, any western person would come to the first meaning of what he was talking about, the bridge has a slope on it meaning it is lower on one side than the other. The saying, it slopes to one side. No backing for him from any of the media, if I was Him I would put 2 fingers up to them all and for desert spread the cheeks of my ass. He di nothing wrong probably does not know that meaning any way.

you know full well that was NOT how the phrase was intended.

he could have said, "That bridge is slanted, or is that my eyes?

Shit don't you start also, we can all comment on things after the event, if your western you would and should have picked up what it meant. Don't put your self in the same barrel as the other I literal lot

Some people need to realise that "racism" is a "white" invention...it is tool for suppression that became common place in the l18th and 19th centuries to justify such things as slavery and genocide of indigenous peoples.

trying to sideline it by using sound bites like "PC" and "sensitive" are just not part of a reasoned response.

A common argument amongst racists is to cite incidents of what THEY regard as racism by other "RACES", often as some kind of justification of racist behaviour by themselves.

This actually only seems plausible or logical if you are racist yourself. irt is in reality just an admission of racism by the person promulgating this idea

'White man speak with fork tongue!'

What a load of old Bol..ks the people who complained about this need to get a life, my mrs is Thai and had never heard it said or knew what it meant IMHO JC was just refering to the angle only, slope is an English word used by English people , what will be next ????? cheesy.gifintheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

Again you miss the point.

the term is a derogatory racist ten used by mostly Americans referring to the "enemy" and other S.E. Asians during the wars they fought there.

saying your wife has nervier heard this term is completely irrelevant.

It appears that Clarkson & Co were using the term with reference to this and inferring that ALL S.E. Asian peoples must be the same.

The British used the ten <deleted> originally to refer mostly to Araic people it then sifted to refer to those from the Indian subcontinent. By the time Italians and Greeks were immigrating to Australia, they found themselves of the receiving end of this word.

it's not who it;s applied to that matters it is the generalisation and thinking behind it that is so appalling.

And what POINT would that be Numpty, i don't think that Clarkson even knew the implication that YOU are submiting.........................coffee1.gif you should get out more

Not being of the Vietnam era, I had to google "slope". Many definitions, one of which claimed it is an acronym for "Silly Little Opium Peddling Easterner".

Slope is mild really, compared to other Clarkson insults.

I have not heard that definition before - i understood it derived from the slopping / conical hats SE Asian workers wear. It is still a term.

However i have an emotional dislike of the term especially after living in Australia during the Ron Casey and then the Pauline Hanson years and it was always used in an extremely derogatory manner towards my family or my friends.

Yeah, except that of course you can say brown bag, and that fleeing your own country for a less developed country so that you have the freedom to be more racist doesn't make you look good.

I think you mean so many "racists" have fled to Thailand. sometimes I'm ashamed toy admit I'm an expat as it associates me with some of the most ignorant and racist people I have ever met.

They're in good company. Are Thais not racist too?

Do you seriously think that citing or accusing others of racism can justify your own?

I'd be more offended being called a bigoted hypocrite.

Some people need to realise that "racism" is a "white" invention...it is tool for suppression that became common place in the l18th and 19th centuries to justify such things as slavery and genocide of indigenous peoples.

trying to sideline it by using sound bites like "PC" and "sensitive" are just not part of a reasoned response.

A common argument amongst racists is to cite incidents of what THEY regard as racism by other "RACES", often as some kind of justification of racist behaviour by themselves.

This actually only seems plausible or logical if you are racist yourself. irt is in reality just an admission of racism by the person promulgating this idea

'White man speak with fork tongue!'

Said Sitting Bull.----I often wonder if Little big horn had two meanings. ??

you know full well that was NOT how the phrase was intended.

And YOU Do of course Numpty.....................coffee1.gif

This is funny in one way - even if (a big IF) old Jeza knew the cultural meaning of 'Slope' (which i didn't btw) - it would have to go down as one of his LIGHTER insults in a career of winding everyone up !!! It's what he does, what he is - he's a 'love him or loathe him' character, and he plays up to it. I can take him or leave him and imagine he still has a good deal of growing up to do.

In summary - Definition of racist - someone who thinks use of the word "slope"in this context isn't racist

From which dictionary ??

So, discribing the Angle of the bridge was "Racist" ? no only your version numpty.......................coffee1.gif

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

As 'slope' is in reference to the shape of an Asians face it is clearly a derogatory term, not defamatory as this would imply that they do not have sloping faces like they do. It does not come from the Vietnam war as it is recorded in use already in the 1940's. Gook was used by the US navy over 100 years ago to describe Filipinos before coming into general use for all Asians during the Vietnam war, clearly a derogatory term as it was originally used to describe prostitutes. Cong, VC and Charlies all coming from Viet Cong, the official name of the political group, is in no way derogatory. Benny wore a hat like the Falklanders and this is what innocently gave rise to the term Bennies but due to the fact that he was also retarded it could be taken as defamatory as not everyone on the Falklands is a retard.

You've got to love the irony..JC in a racial row in one of the most racist countries in the world.

Pretty sure that none of the complaints are coming from Thailand, the UK has to have the most PC people on earth. Most of them probably unaware that we are referred to (quite openly) as FARANG.

Keep it up Jezza.

Falangs always getting it wrong

I wonder if any Thais mentioned the 'kee nok' on the bridge? smile.png

I guess they wouldn't because there is no racism in Thailand, or prostitution, or corruption....

I doubt it, he came with a BBC film crew, they are hardly renowned for their stinginess are they? Anyhow the issue is not that this particular man said a derogatory remark, it is that this was aired on international television.

is that worse of beeing called a farang every day of your life when you pass some uneducated street workers gaping at you like you are the money in the zoo ?

Yes it is. Farang comes from Persian and shares it's etymology with the word France and is the correct Thai term for a Caucasian. Incredible how many people seem to think it is an insult and get upset about it but don't bother to take the time to find out what it actually means. Idiotic.

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

As 'slope' is in reference to the shape of an Asians face it is clearly a derogatory term, not defamatory as this would imply that they do not have sloping faces like they do. It does not come from the Vietnam war as it is recorded in use already in the 1940's. Gook was used by the US navy over 100 years ago to describe Filipinos before coming into general use for all Asians during the Vietnam war, clearly a derogatory term as it was originally used to describe prostitutes. Cong, VC and Charlies all coming from Viet Cong, the official name of the political group, is in no way derogatory. Benny wore a hat like the Falklanders and this is what innocently gave rise to the term Bennies but due to the fact that he was also retarded it could be taken as defamatory as not everyone on the Falklands is a retard.

'Benny' was widely used in the UK in the 80's to describe a 'country bumpkin' with 'average' intelligence and limited sartorial elegance. It was hardly an insult as Benny was one of the more likeable characters on 'Crossroads' in a cuddly and lovable sort of way.

Hmmm thought I would give you another perspective about the 'derogatory' term - Slope. An abbreviation of 'Slope Head'.

Back in my young days of travelling around the Far East, 'we', that is, members of the R.A.N. referrred to Asians as 'Chokey's'. Even the Malays in Singapore, in my day, referred to the Malay-Chinese as 'Chokey's'. And the Singaporeans and Malaysians referred to us as 'John' - and in the Philippines, as 'Joe'

In the Vietnam War they were called, by Australians, 'Nogs'.

On the back of that very famous Robert Wise, Hollywood movie (1966 starring Steve McQueen), 'The Sand Pebbles', (my all time favourite movie actually), a movie about a US China Gunboat - The 'San Pablo', during the 1920s. The Author of the Original Book (Novel) Richard McKenna was actually a China Sailor himself.

By the Mid-Late 70s Sailors of the Australian Navy stopped referring to Asians as Chokey's and adopted the US Navy's very old term of 'Slopehead'.

Personally, I never cared for any of these terms and don't use them. But one cannot deny what is history. I would like to think we have moved on.

My first deployment to the Far East was 1970, at 16 YO, I did 11 of these deployments. I spent all my Leave flying back on visits. And I live here to this day.

I guess lotsa people currently in Thailand led a sheltered-life or are too young to remember back to the late '60s or early '70s.

No, it's because we are British. We did not take part in the Vietnam war. We never adopted the word 'slope' as a racist term. Growing up in the 60's and 70's in the UK, I never, ever heard this word, other than referring to something not level or even 'sloped off' ==> walked away.

Now if Mr Clarkson was American, he would certainly not use that word....

The name was changed to Myanmar by the military junta who seized the country. Hence Burma is seen as the correct name by most Burmese, as I understand it. I've only ever met Burmese who refer to the country as Burma.

Stange, because that is not my experience - having worked in Myanmar in 2011 -2013. I found that only the Burmans (main ethnic group) occasionally used the word, because 'Burma' means land of the Burmans. That excludes all the other minority ethnic groups (Shan, Kayin, Kachin etc).

The word 'Myanmar' was seen to be a more inclusive word to refer to all ethnic groups of the country. II was encouraged by all my work colleagues never to use the word 'Burma' or 'Burmese', because it was considered a divisive word.

Anyway, this is going off-topic....

Simon

"No, it's because we are British. We did not take part in the Vietnam war."

We did! We just wont admit it.

In summary - Definition of racist - someone who thinks use of the word "slope"in this context isn't racist

From which dictionary ??

perhaps you'd like to build on that comment?

Nope but you can tell me which dictionary you got that definition from if you like ??

You interpreted his comment in the manner you chose, that doesn't mean he was being racist in what he said..

If Clarkson used the term in reference to the person on the bridge, then yes it is racist and offensive. You might not be offended by it, but it's still offensive and you don't have to be Asian or of Asian descent to be offended by it. He should be made to apologise and whatever punishment deemed fit should be applied.

If he was just talking about the bridge - or he says he was, then he has to be given the benefit of the doubt. (Now that's truly PC)

As for people being offended by the word 'farang, that's totally up to the individual. If you think of the term as always endearing etc, that's great and you have a very positive outlook. For me, I just find it to be rude sometimes. Sometimes it will be used in a genuinely endearing way, and other times it will be used in a rude or derogatory fashion. I think we can all agree with that.

If I meet new people here who are friends of friends etc, and they keep refering to me as 'farang', I will simply remind them of my name. Call me by my name, not 'farang', 'tall guy', 'Man U Fan' or whatever other association to my looks and/or personal interests/country of origin.