Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

Clarkson is a pratt - an extremely well paid one, but a pratt nonetheless. And yes, the term "slope" is offensive, though coming from such a perennial adolescent it's entirely predictable.

The word is 'prat' and frequently qualified with 'pompous'.

He wouldn't be so well paid by the BBC for one of its highest earning shows if it wasn't worth the occasional outcry from one of his non-PC throwaway remarks. It's part of the show. They know it and most intelligent viewers with any sense of humour (even Yank) know it.

Oh dear, I suppose now I've insulted Americans!

Edited by laobali
Let's not get started.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing the racism card is getting out of hand these days. In Seattle, you can't say 'brown bag.' No wonder so many of us ex pats 'fled' to Thailand, where you don't hear 'racist' 'sexist' 'fascist' (except on Thai visa 555)

can you order brown bread in Seattle ?

how about plastic bags which are normally white ? shouldnt the white people be

offended and demand they be painted a differnt less offensive colour ?

Plenty of both earn more than me. Unless all pricing is based upon each individual's income, then there should be one price for all.

including children, students and OAPs?

As long as any discounts based on age/education status are applied irrespective of ethnicity, nope.

ok that's good that you can see the benefits of price discrimination (so your not lacking in basic economic understanding) but you are worried about inequality between people from thailand vs westerners...

so would you agree its about time, we did away we the birth right of citizenship (and the many advantages/disadvantages that come with being born in your home country) and share all the world's resources, including educational and career opportunities (and all public services) equally for all people on earth?...

if so, i admire your principled philosophy. if not, i am amused by your selfish and lop-sided view of what racism / inequality is...

I have no problem with any of that.

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

Brilliant! Thanks for the explanation.

Schoolboy humour - yes

Possibly a tad bad taste - but that's Clarkson and hardly a big deal.

Fantastic investigative journalism to learn that though!

As has been posted - some folk want to take nonsense things too seriously, perhaps so they can shine in a media shit storm for a few moments?

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

I vaguely remember having learned in school that the correct term is <deleted> as in Worthy Oriental Gentleman rolleyes.gif

The first time I remember hearing this term was back in the middle '50's but have not heard it in many years. An Army buddy of mine (as well as others) used it all the time in Korea. When he was referring to Koreans this is the term he used. I personally never felt comfortable with this term.

It's American slang we British don't use this derogatory remark to refer to Asians unless we have spent too much time with Yanks. He was talking about the slope of the bridge.

Heard the term used many times in the UK. It is a racist, derogatory term and JC knew that.

I can well understand the anger, after all I get called Farang all the time, how derogatory. I have also been called white boy,pale face, round eye, gwailo, o-fay, buckra, honky, gavacho, bolillo, gringo, whitie, & blue eyed devil. Who do I sue?

Gosh get over it, what a bunch of BS over nothing.

In the end what this thread will show is how poorly informed and unaware many TV members are about issues surrounding racism.

Yeah, you're so superior, aren't you? If the TV posters reside in Thailand, I think they've experienced racism on numerous occasions.

Oh I forgot! Only whites are racist.

Personally I'm sick of white, middle-class, lefties on a guilt-trip imposing their own politically-correct thoughts on the rest of us and lecturing on the evils of racism. Racism is in all of us, but only whites seem to be held accountable.

You know what I think is racist? Enforced multiculturalism imposed on the UK. Affirmative action and quotas. Massive immigration from Islamic countries, whose citizens often hate western culture. No-go areas in Northern UK towns and parts of east London. Minorities in the UK behaving atrociously and then playing the race-card when held accountable.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

I vaguely remember having learned in school that the correct term is <deleted> as in Worthy Oriental Gentleman rolleyes.gif

A <deleted> wuby is a Wump of wood

when i was young <deleted> were black ,not asian

wasnt that why the gollywog logo was removed from jars of jam of something ?

About 15 years or so ago we had a toothpaste rebranding here in Thailand. It's now called 'Darly' smile.png

Gym in my hometown.......

Thai nationals 2.500 bath a month

Foreigners 5.000 a month

Visiting Zoo or national parks

Thai national 100 bath

Foreigners 250 bath

Barber in my hometown

Window pricing

Thai Nationals 50 bath

Foreigners 80 bath

Racism is a Slippery Slope in Thailand if you ask me.

maybe you need more baths than the locals...... smelly farang...... yeuuggghhhh

And a wock is what you wrow at a wabbit biggrin.png

Anyway, political correctness is a wee bit absurd at times.

So what does FARANG mean, let us get over these petty synonyms, that actually mean nothing,,, How about his one,,,, "People are People..."

Just my thought. somehow, somewhere, we were all created..... Or how about Sovereignty of a Nation..... So who is for sale now? People? It may actually be the end result, as we judge each other.... Nuff said in my opinion......

kilosierra.... Mine is not to imperil your people, but just some how, to set them free.....

My thoughts, and I welcome your thoughts......

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

ok that's good that you can see the benefits of price discrimination (so your not lacking in basic economic understanding) but you are worried about inequality between people from thailand vs westerners...

so would you agree its about time, we did away we the birth right of citizenship (and the many advantages/disadvantages that come with being born in your home country) and share all the world's resources, including educational and career opportunities (and all public services) equally for all people on earth?...

if so, i admire your principled philosophy. if not, i am amused by your selfish and lop-sided view of what racism / inequality is...

I do. How on earth does this relate to Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear?

The 53-year-old is heard saying: 'That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it', as a man walked towards them on their makeshift bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand.

Jeremy should have said 'in it' and not 'on' it.

I don't think so... "there's a slope on it" sounds ok to me

but if he noticed a crack in the wood he should have said... "there's a chink in it"

And a wock is what you wrow at a wabbit biggrin.png

Anyway, political correctness is a wee bit absurd at times.

oohh nooo...... i got moderated for the W*g word already........

I don't get it. Slope, Slight incline, Lean, Twist ( and a very rare English word ( Skunt) ( Yes that word is spelled correctly and NO, it isn't a ( Bad )reference to a females anatomy) smile.png . All means very similar in English. But knowing Clarkson, his mouth was engaged, before his brain was in gear!! ( see what i did there) tongue.png.

I understand the ( slightly in-accurate English) but for the life of me, i don't see the racist connotations

I think you might consider what this was. ...........a multimillion pound TV show with a huge staff and crew , including scriptwriters and advisors and editors. This statement was no accident it was written, filmed, reviewed and passed....and you can be sure that Clarkson is one of the top decision-makers on the show,.

Not to mention the fact that, all publicity, ( even the bad) helps the ratings,smile.png

when i was young <deleted> were black ,not asian

wasnt that why the gollywog logo was removed from jars of jam of something ?

About 15 years or so ago we had a toothpaste rebranding here in Thailand. It's now called 'Darly' smile.png

Robertsons jam used to give you a free GOLLYWOG shoved inside the label, you saved them up and in return received an enameled GOOLYWOG to pin on your jacket.

Then they stopped calling the GINGERBREAD MEN biscuit and had to call them GINGERBREAD PERSONS and MANHOLE covers became PERSONHOLE covers. amazing.

I do. How on earth does this relate to Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear?

i am afraid the answer is hidden deep within the darkest depths of the thread

I wonder which group, person(s) or race complained about racism.

"group"? - oh dear - just listen to yourself.

Is 'group' in the list of non-pc banned words now?

I think by 'group' he meant people like you. You know. Ridiculous, politically-correct liberals eager to lecture the rest of us.

you can clearly see from the pic that there is a slope to the right of the bridge and the hand gesture is also a clue but Jeremy could also be using a double meaning .

looks like it could have been built by locals . thais are always taking the piss out of us farangs but are not happy if we do the same with them .

My thoughts exactly when I watched it... I didn't even catch the double entendre, although I have heard the term, but only used by Americans not British.

Even if the double entendre was meant, for god's sake grow up and be able to take a joke. Loads of people on this forum get called a Potato every day in Thailand and don't bat an eyelid, and I don't hear any Thai's flaming other Thai's for calling us Farang......

Edited by cyborgx

The 53-year-old is heard saying: 'That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it', as a man walked towards them on their makeshift bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand.

Jeremy should have said 'in it' and not 'on' it.

I don't think so... "there's a slope on it" sounds ok to me

but if he noticed a crack in the wood he should have said... "there's a chink in it"

Assuming he was quoted correctly it would have save a Jeremy and Top Gear lots of unnecessary and silly controversy don't you think?

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

Yes, nothing racist to be seen there ... just good clean fun if you're brain dead and torching a village.

Isn't Clarkson the same git who regularly offends people wherever he goes with his tedious show and gormless crew?

Top Gear’s festive special saw Jeremy Clarkson take his tired act to India

This year’s one-off Top Gear special lasted for an hour-and-a-half. 90 minutes. That’s roughly 30 full minutes of faux haplessness and scripted embarrassments mixed in with 60 minutes of general boys’ toys ‘banter’.

At times, the boys did come dangerously close to angering yet another nation – let us not forget that it was less than a year ago that they last outraged the Mexican people – and the more cynical amongst us will wonder whether the BBC sent the Top Gear presenters to India in order to stir up some controversy.

http://metro.co.uk/2011/12/28/top-gears-festive-special-saw-jeremy-clarkson-take-his-tired-act-to-india-tv-review-268651/