No alcohol sells the next 2 weekends.

khwaibah

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its just fkin ridiculous to do that to tourists when it has nothing to do with them what they should do is allow foreigners to drink and enjoy themselves and apply it to thais only.

Pretty easy for the cops to do what they do and target thais drinking

• Like 1

Well its just fkin ridiculous to do that to tourists when it has nothing to do with them what they should do is allow foreigners to drink and enjoy themselves and apply it to thais only.

I'm sure Thai nationals who are miserable at being deprived from going out for a beer would take it very nicely to see foreigners out getting pished and enjoying themselves.

They are not stopping you buying a nice bottle of wine and taking it home with you. Jai yen yen my friend.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

A friend of mine who lives out of town -- in Mae Rim -- said that if alcohol sales were ever really forbidden there would be a revolution. It's very easy to get beer around here (even on ban days) if you know where to go. And all the Thais do know. I agree the law is ridiculous but much of what goes on here is as well.

• Like 2

I really can't imagine the average tourist getting upset because he can't go to a bar on election days. They may think it is a crazy law and I agree with them but they come because they are tourists not Alcoholics. Why would they worry about not drinking being a ruinous thing to their holiday.

When I go on holiday I do not consider the need to drink as being a factor in where I go. If I had to have it as apparently some do I would not go to a Muslim country.

I think some posters are confusing their own need for alcohol with tourists.burp.gif

Working, living and retiring out of Saudi Arabia where alcohol is strictly haram (forbidden) we had some locals open only to the infidels that would have made Al Capone jealous and the bars on Loi Khro look like a nursery school.drunk.gif

• Like 1

A friend of mine was doing some work for the Police, and on his first day at the Officer's Club, the top man gave him access to his car boot which was a veritable Aladdin's cave of contraband. He said "You'll be miserable in that apartment otherwise".

thumbsup.gif

I really can't imagine the average tourist getting upset because he can't go to a bar on election days. They may think it is a crazy law and I agree with them but they come because they are tourists not Alcoholics. Why would they worry about not drinking being a ruinous thing to their holiday.

When I go on holiday I do not consider the need to drink as being a factor in where I go. If I had to have it as apparently some do I would not go to a Muslim country.

I think some posters are confusing their own need for alcohol with tourists.burp.gif

I am not in a muslim country nor would I go to a muslim country not just because of the beer situation but more many other reasons the point is the whole thing is ridiculous and you dont have to be an alcoholic to want a beer or glass of wine on holiday

And what exactly is stopping you having one?

• Like 1

I am not in a muslim country nor would I go to a muslim country not just because of the beer situation but more many other reasons the point is the whole thing is ridiculous and you dont have to be an alcoholic to want a beer or glass of wine on holiday

Well the laws have been there for quite a while and I very much doubt that they'll change them to suit you or tourists. The UK used to have laws that meant pubs closed from 3 to 5 everyday and believe it or not they even applied to tourist towns , tourists and non- Brits that lived there! I never heard anyone suggesting that they should be changed to allow tourists to drink. After all, the laws were there originally to get people back to work, and of course tourists aren't working, so why should it apply to them?

Have you heard of "forewarned is forearmed"? Buy some the day before, and invite a few friends around .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Working, living and retiring out of Saudi Arabia where alcohol is strictly haram (forbidden) we had some locals open only to the infidels that would have made Al Capone jealous and the bars on Loi Khro look like a nursery school.drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif alt=drunk.gif width=58 height=30>

drunk.gif Not hard to make the bars on Loi Kroh look like a nursery schoolthumbsup.gif did you have to know some one. I remember an archeology instructor I had talking about drinking being a secretive thing there. Of course this was 25 years ago. No telling how long it had been between the time she was working there and telling the story.

If you're a tourist resident in a hotel you should have no trouble being served booze in the hotel.

This will probably be regarded with shock and disbelief, but: 1. Thais can be tourists, 2. not all foreigners need alcohol to "enjoy" themselves, 3. some people have been known to buy booze ahead of these brief dry periods and not been at all inconvenienced.

Coping with this "problem" seems to overwhelm some farang ... come to think of it, attempts at coping with life more generally seem to defeat quite a few of the Thai Visa stalwarts.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Well except for the tourist only I agree with you on every thing else.clap2.gif

I don't even in live in Thailand but I have a "friendly" who will do lock-ins for me if I want to watch the footy with a drink.

Naturally I'm expected to pay staff wages as well, but I don't mind that, and normally I get them pissed as well and leave them a nice tip; had some cracking impromptu football nights that have taken a whole different direction.

biggrin.png

Tourists are unlikely to be aware of the bans - are the dates even publicised to tourists?

Many tourists enjoy a glass of wine, or a glass of beer with their evening meal. After all, they are on holiday.

It's not a nice feeling to order a drink at a restaurant and then be told "no".

Since Thais and expats aren't really affected by the law, it's only the tourists who will be irked by it.

• Like 1

Tourists are unlikely to be aware of the bans - are the dates even publicised to tourists?

Many tourists enjoy a glass of wine, or a glass of beer with their evening meal. After all, they are on holiday.

Since Thais and expats aren't really affected by the law, it's only the tourists who will be irked by it.

By law a restaurant can not sell alcohol during this time. Such as some of the top names mentioned on this forum. But an establishment that has a hotel license can and does.drunk.gif

I must admit I did laugh when I went to buy a case of beer in Tesco and they pointed me to the sign banning sale during certain hours. But they told me if I bought two it was OK, so I did.

I was under the impression that the law was there to prevent alcohol sales.

thumbsup.gif

Perhaps they want you to indulge in binge drinking...wai2.gif

Why are so many people not able to be social drinkers? Look at the people who cannot even sit on a plane for 12 hours without alcohol. I am so glad I never started.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

do people really have any problems finding alcohol on ban days??? I have only been here 2 years now but have never had a problem finding a cold beer on Wan Makabucha or the like...it really ISNT that hard if you know where to go...i.e. NOT 7-11 and those shops, but your mom and pop store on the corner...ain't nothing going to stop them from selling the stuff

By law a restaurant can not sell alcohol during this time. Such as some of the top names mentioned on this forum. But an establishment that has a hotel license can and does.drunk.gif

Was in a bar last month in Lat Krabang where there was some election which involved an alcohol ban. This appears to ban the sale of beer in a bottle as the waiter said that there could be no bottles on the tables. He then disappeared and returned with an ice bucket which had had a bottle of Singha poured into it and a glass. Problem solved!

This wasn't a small out the way bar either. A large prominent bar on the main road - 72 Race & Bar to be precise.

Pwersonally it does not effect. But I feel sorry for all the businesses and workers who lose money nor get paid. Typical arroganceof ruling class to not give a damn about the majority working class. Plus, its all crap because there are still plenty of bars opened disguised as a pub or hotel

Life can be cruel. This is another attempt to control me, and I will not stand for it. I will not have my freedoms compromised!!! I remember once, once, I ran out of alcohol and had to go to my emergency underground stash. That was the low point of my life. Now I walk around with IV's filled with vodka.

I would protest, but it kegger night.