You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Clampdown coming on multiple tourist visa runs

Kind of odd they would open all the Burmese crossing points and change it back to 15days. These border crossing seem to be purely for border runs. No one is going to waste their time hitting Ban Ron for a 15 day 900bhat(Not including transportation) stamp. They need to start beating the bushes for the 50+ crowd they seem predatory(Just look at all the creepers in most touristed areas) and might as well make them pay more for the privileged of long stay.

• Like 1

Continuing change and confusion. In the north, they recently extended the time to 30 days for land crossings, but limited this to 4 consecutive visa runs....

This latest change, if true and universal, May well cost the country quite a bit of income.

As the average length of stay for the almost 20 million visitors in 2011 was (per TAT) " ... 9.64 days and an average daily spend of 4,187.12 baht (US$137) per person," the financial contribution of those who stay long-term without non-IMM visas and who might be affected by any of the above changes in regulations most likely would not cost the country a great deal of income.

While I am sure the spend per day you quote is an accurate reflection of the official figure I don't know if that 'average' can be applied to serial visa runners. My own spend in Thailand is significantly more than double that number and I suspect the same would be true for many of those who fly in and out regularly. While not in the 'visa runner' long term category I do regularly extend my stay when here by heading out for a week then returning.

I am sure that even if the amount quoted was accurate for visa runners it does actually have a very positive impact on the economy, lifting the per capita income and providing employment. Thailand would do well to reassess their attitude toward this revenue source, perhaps noting the effect on places like Cambodia of their less restrictive visa rules.

• Like 2

"effective policing" good one!

Well, yes, the cops could spend all their time chasing after miscreant foreigners but they've already got plenty of crim citizens to keep them busy. So, it's understandable that they may urge their brethren at Immigration to tighten up on border runners.

Kind of odd they would open all the Burmese crossing points and change it back to 15days. These border crossing seem to be purely for border runs. No one is going to waste their time hitting Ban Ron for a 15 day 900bhat(Not including transportation) stamp. They need to start beating the bushes for the 50+ crowd they seem predatory(Just look at all the creepers in most touristed areas) and might as well make them pay more for the privileged of long stay.

It is those and the middle aged that really have no employment that I think they are trying to discourage. Let's face it if you are over 50 then with your pension or any money you have coming in you should be able to meet the requirements.

Personally these are the kid of rules that i wish Immigration in Canada had set up. At least they do not give you the ability to say that you are a hardship case and need exile in Thailand because of tyour religious beliefs or your sister had sex with your brother so now your family is not safe..

Q: Where does tourist money come from?

A: Outside Thailand.

Q: Where do tourists spend their money?

A: Inside Thailand.

Q: How does money from other counties spent in Thailand, benefit the Thai economy?

A: Countless way... it would seem.

Q: Why then would you want to discourage tourists from staying as long as they want?

A: Hummmmmm.... let me get back to you on that...

I think they are not trying to discourage tourists, even long term ones. Rather they are trying to discourage people from living here more or less permanently on visa runs.

The Thai Government's position has always been that there is no problem with expats living in Thailand provided that they have a visa appropriate to their stay. Nothing wrong with that. Every country is the same.

I get the impression however that a lot of this is about "making money" from what I hear it can become inordinately expensive to live in Thailand for a long period of time. I don't see why someone should not be allowed to stay in any country as long as they have the means to support themselves from capital or external income. Changing status to employed or claiming benefits from the host country (where you do not pay tax) should require you to leave and re-apply for a different type of visa from outside the country. There is no sense in making life difficult for people who are not a drain on the economy. Not that Thailand is alone in stupid policies!

Re post # 24 anyone can get a single tourist visa in their home country good for 60 days upon entry and 30 days extended without ever leaving the country. My guess would be that would cover the large majority of those who would stay for 3 or 4 months with a 2 entry tourist visa providing an additional possible 90 day stay with only one exit and return to The Kingdom.

I'm guessing that as of now those in charge believe that is a reasonable policy and only inconveniences a small number and changes to accommodate that small number just brings on too many possible adverse outcomes.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Q: Where does tourist money come from?

A: Outside Thailand.

Q: Where do tourists spend their money?

A: Inside Thailand.

Q: How does money from other counties spent in Thailand, benefit the Thai economy?

A: Countless way... it would seem.

Q: Why then would you want to discourage tourists from staying as long as they want?

A: Hummmmmm.... let me get back to you on that...

Do you seriously suggest that tourists are the target of this move?

• Like 1