Clampdown coming on multiple tourist visa runs

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Q: Where does tourist money come from?

A: Outside Thailand.

Q: Where do tourists spend their money?

A: Inside Thailand.

Q: How does money from other counties spent in Thailand, benefit the Thai economy?

A: Countless way... it would seem.

Q: Why then would you want to discourage tourists from staying as long as they want?

A: Hummmmmm.... let me get back to you on that...

biggrin.png

Another couple of questions to add to your list:

Q: How much money does Thailand make from a visa runner

A: Nothing, as long as they didn't overstay

Q: How much money does Thailand make from issuing visas

A: Lots! Dependent on the visa type of course..........

Not saying this is the reason for the rumour, but it shouldn't be over-looked. IMHO it is just a rumour, otherwise they are fighting among themselves over the land crossing rules for permitted to stay days. They have just recently changed from 15 to 30 days for the G7 member countries, are they changing back already??

Anyone with multiple visa exempt entries extending over months/years would be unlikely to fit the usual profile of a tourist.

For those who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period there are valid visa options available to all.

its not like foreigners are depriving thai's of jobs/work or abusing any benefit system... i understand they dont want the riff raff here long term but effective policing would see off these types.

I think you mean to say, Western foreigners are not depriving or otherwise competing with Thais for places in the workforce. As for foreigners, there are nations bordering Thailand full of foreigners who would really like to obtain work in Thailand.

And from all indications in the press and from what I see, there are substantial numbers of foreign workers here. If they are illegal or not, I do not know, but they must surely be competing with the Thais for work.

The laws that govern "Tourists" and other foreign visitors is for the most part the same. Not everything is about guys who hang out here and in pubs.

Believe me, if the average visa-abuser was spending 10,000 baht a day, Thai authorities would warmly welcome them.

But they didn't which is why most moved to Cambodia! Go to Cambodia and ask single well off people in their early to mid 50s if they have ever lived in Thailand and if they did, why they left. Ask how many got anything back from their so called 2 million Baht investment visa. Ask single well of people in the early to mid/ late 40s if they have ever lived in Thailand. Ask if what happened to the 2 million investment visa people had anything to do with their decision to live in Cambodia rather than Thailand. It's 10 million now for an investment visa and only someone with more money than sense would even consider it. The government know this full well which is why they tried to rejuvenate the Thai Elite card for 2 million but they still didn't get anyone to bite.

Those people you're describing don't sound like visa abusers. The Thai gov bilked a bunch of people on investment visas and elite cards, that's a different story. Sure, those people got hosed, but they're not the people we're talking about here.

They would have practically all been so called visa abusers before the investment visa because there was no way to stay in Thailand otherwise, and situation is still the same. A slight change to the retirement visa would work in that for every year younger than 50 the amount required in the bank goes up by 200,000 Baht. So 1.4 million if the person is 47 yo.

With all their problems you would think this country would want to increase the number of people spending money, not reduce it.

And how much do you think expats spend in Thailand? What percentage of the nation's GDP comes from expats? Not enough to even worry about.

I don't know. I spend on average say 60,000/month, and that's just for the necessities and daily living. Some spend five times that, and others spend a third of that, so let's go with 60,000 as a median figure. So that's 720,000/year, and let's bump that up to say 900,000 to include some one-time purchases (new bed, TV, computer, whatever).

Let's say there's about 500,000 expats / long-term tourists here, which I think is probably pretty realistic. So that's about 450 billion THB/year that gets spent by foreigners on standard living expenses. I don't know, but that seems like a number that's worth worrying about.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

With all their problems you would think this country would want to increase the number of people spending money, not reduce it.

And how much do you think expats spend in Thailand? What percentage of the nation's GDP comes from expats? Not enough to even worry about.

I don't know. I spend on average say 60,000/month, and that's just for the necessities and daily living. Some spend five times that, and others spend a third of that, so let's go with 60,000 as a median figure. So that's 720,000/year, and let's bump that up to say 900,000 to include some one-time purchases (new bed, TV, computer, whatever).

Let's say there's about 500,000 expats / long-term tourists here, which I think is probably pretty realistic. So that's about 450 billion THB/year that gets spent by foreigners on standard living expenses. I don't know, but that seems like a number that's worth worrying about.

Thailand's GDP approx 11346 Billion Bht.

But until it is possible to produce something more substantial than numbers which suit a rather silly belief this post has zero credibility.

Continuing change and confusion. In the north, they recently extended the time to 30 days for land crossings, but limited this to 4 consecutive visa runs....

This latest change, if true and universal, May well cost the country quite a bit of income.

As the average length of stay for the almost 20 million visitors in 2011 was (per TAT) " ... 9.64 days and an average daily spend of 4,187.12 baht (US$137) per person," the financial contribution of those who stay long-term without non-IMM visas and who might be affected by any of the above changes in regulations most likely would not cost the country a great deal of income.

Sorry but you are wrong.

Think about what your saying

What the short term tourists spend can be roughly guessed, but there are no stats from the government on how much longer term tourists spend, and it seems i need to explain to you the basics

For example a tourist that stays here for 1 year

Rent that normally goes to a Thai person, average, 20,000 baht a month

Spending 2000 baht a day

Fights, visa runs for the year, another 30,000 baht

yearly total spent very rough, could be a lot more for some

240,000 baht rent

spending 730,000 baht

plus 30,000 travel,visa's

Total around 1 million baht a year going into the Thai econmey

So what your saying is that a 10 day tourist spends 40,000 baht.

and a yearly visa runner tourist spends 1 million

How in the world are you not going to miss that income, there is far more money that comes into the Thai economy from these types of tourists than you realize.

Just because the Thai government is mostly brain dead, does not mean others have to be

They should just set a bar say 25k baht a month spent in country for continued stay then enforce the work laws. This is mostly directed at teachers abusing the visa system. I am a professional vacationer and have spent loads of money in the almost 4 years I have been here why should I suffer for people working on tourist visas when I can show that I spend above the average middle class Thai family a month?

Nobody is requiring you to 'suffer'..if you are 'suffering'..it's because you choose to, or just think you are 'suffering'.

It's people who just keep popping over the boarder and back all the time they are looking at. People who wish to extend their stay can go to Penang for example but there is a limit on how many they will give. When people go back to the own country for a triple entry there doesn't seem to be an issue.

Sorry but you are wrong.

Think about what your saying

What the short term tourists spend can be roughly guessed, but there are no stats from the government on how much longer term tourists spend, and it seems i need to explain to you the basics

For example a tourist that stays here for 1 year

Rent that normally goes to a Thai person, average, 20,000 baht a month

Spending 2000 baht a day

Fights, visa runs for the year, another 30,000 baht

yearly total spent very rough, could be a lot more for some

240,000 baht rent

spending 730,000 baht

plus 30,000 travel,visa's

Total around 1 million baht a year going into the Thai econmey

So what your saying is that a 10 day tourist spends 40,000 baht.

and a yearly visa runner tourist spends 1 million

How in the world are you not going to miss that income, there is far more money that comes into the Thai economy from these types of tourists than you realize.

Just because the Thai government is mostly brain dead, does not mean others have to be

Oh prey-tell, how many of these 1million baht a year visa runners are there? Please break it down for the rest of us who are brain dead! You clearly have the info!!

• Like 1

Q: Where does tourist money come from?

A: Outside Thailand.

Q: Where do tourists spend their money?

A: Inside Thailand.

Q: How does money from other counties spent in Thailand, benefit the Thai economy?

A: Countless way... it would seem.

Q: Why then would you want to discourage tourists from staying as long as they want?

A: Hummmmmm.... let me get back to you on that...

I think they are not trying to discourage tourists, even long term ones. Rather they are trying to discourage people from living here more or less permanently on visa runs.

The Thai Government's position has always been that there is no problem with expats living in Thailand provided that they have a visa appropriate to their stay. Nothing wrong with that. Every country is the same.

Except they are making it even harder to get an appropriate visa, as evidenced by the recent clamp down on issuing Non Imm O marriage visas !!!

Every country is definitely not the same...

I agree every country has different visa rules. I do not know of any country where you can just walk in and live full time. You have to go through hoops. How many hoops and how big they will depend on each countries own circumstances.

Of couse when people bend the rules or takes advantage of loop holes you can expect a tightening of the rules. This in turn causes problems for other people. The 30 day visa exempt entry was never intended for full time living in Thailand. If a tourist wants to stay longer than 30 days there are tourist visas. Those who live here on visa runs might not be breaking the letter of the law, but they are breaking the spirit of the law.

The answer is very simple - if you cannot get a visa to live in one country go and live in another. I have often thought of going to Cambodia or Vietnam, but canot because of visa issues. So I stay in Thailand where, at my age, visa is very very easy. Of course single people under 50 will not see it that way ( I sympathise as I was in that position once), but what country can they live in without bending the rules?

Try the USA "I do not know of any country where you can just walk in and live full time"... We have 20 million or more Illegal Aliens in the USA who either walked across the southern border or overstayed their VISA... And many - if not most work at jobs and/or get government benefits... Such a Deal!

As for JLCarb post #48 you posted the #48.?

Never mind that.

With the resent news of Passports stolen/lost/washed in Thailand (MH730), it is a good thing that this so called "Clamp Down" is happening.

Do you not agree with that or do you think these Terrrrrorrrrrrrrrr-ists are just going to leave this country alone? No they are NOT. They will stay and always be a group to use Thailand as there base, down south.

So, The Thai Immigration Dept., may have missed out on a lot of these "False Passports", hence the so called "Clamp Down" to find the people behind this could be due to that.

Sawadee Khrap,

Win

I was of the opinion that anyone going out and back in across land border was issued 15 more days. I thought this to be the case for several years already .....

Since November of last year those from the G7 countries get 30 days. See: Good news for holders of UK, USA, Japan, Germany, France,...

There are also some people that get 30 days for longer do to bilateral agreements. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15383-List-of-countries-which-have-concluded-Agreements.html

Perhaps you missed my earlier post where I answered some of these questions.

According to Wikipedia, there are 200,000 North American and European expats living in Thailand. Let's assume you're 60,000 number is true, and let's also assume your 900K number. That's 180B baht. Thailand's GDP is about 11 trillion baht (365B USD. It's about 1.5% of GDP.

And remember, the people most likely to leave, are the ones who drag the average spent down, not up. The people on proper visas are far more likely to be spending more and the people who are bouncing around from visa run to visa run are less likely to have fully invested in living in Thailand. They don't have access to decent paying jobs (no work permit) and don't pay taxes. Obviously, we all know some guy who doesn't fit that profile, he's been here on tourist visas for 10 years and he makes tons of cash from offshore investments, but the average visa abuser is more than likely to be living close to the edge financially.

So if you look at this as purely a financial decision (which you suggested), Thailand is risking relatively little while culling the most undesirable segment. Sure, some more lucrative people might get caught up in this, people with money will always find a way back into Thailand.

Continuing change and confusion. In the north, they recently extended the time to 30 days for land crossings, but limited this to 4 consecutive visa runs....

This latest change, if true and universal, May well cost the country quite a bit of income.

As the average length of stay for the almost 20 million visitors in 2011 was (per TAT) " ... 9.64 days and an average daily spend of 4,187.12 baht (US$137) per person," the financial contribution of those who stay long-term without non-IMM visas and who might be affected by any of the above changes in regulations most likely would not cost the country a great deal of income.

Very true JL thumbsup.gif While the Thai "retirement" visa laws could definitely use a little tweaking, those who are skipping out of the country every 30 days are doing so because they do not or can not qualify for the retirement extension of stay, and the vast majority of these "hangers on" are not injecting any substantial cash into the Thai economy. I think that it is quite liberal of Thailand to allow 3 of these back to back runs wai2.gif

• Like 1

Those doing continuous visa runs probably cost the country more than they contribute overall as read coupla years ago foreigners were blocking up parts of the Thai health system.

This morning walking the main street in Auckland, there were several English/Irish accented asking for money: amazing to have 20 begging for money in the space of walking two blocks.

It's become a bit of a problem with those from Europe staying in backpackers/hostels, then returning to steal food, have showers etc. after they have left....they would pass unnoticed having free meals/getting donated food bags from charities here too.

I meet many who go to Asian countries to teach ESOL and on returning they have no job or little or zilch savings.

However, I'm aware that many European retirees have contributed with initiatives and are putting money into the economy and contributing towards the Thai community in lots of ways. But they wouldn't be those doing sneaky visa runs and not working legally.

I

NZVIC, I am in total agreement with your post! Those who are doing these 30 day visa runs are those who are trying to circumvent the law and are generally a drag on the Thai economy and give the legitimate "farang" retirement community here a black eye thumbsup.gif

Very true JL thumbsup.gif While the Thai "retirement" visa laws could definitely use a little tweaking, those who are skipping out of the country every 30 days are doing so because they do not or can not qualify for the retirement extension of stay, and the vast majority of these "hangers on" are not injecting any substantial cash into the Thai economy. I think that it is quite liberal of Thailand to allow 3 of these back to back runs wai2.gif

That's not true though. Go visit one of the co-working spaces in Bangkok or Chiang Mai for example, and you'll see tons of white guys in their 20s / 30s, banging away at their computers all day, every day. Do you think they're working legitimate jobs with work permits for Thai companies? Of course not, otherwise they wouldn't be in a co-working space.

Majority of these guys probably make decent coin, and spend 1 million+ per-year in Thailand. They're all fairly young, so clogging up the health care system isn't really an issue. Plus their all generally working on their own online operations, or for Western clients which Thais don't generally have access to, so they're not taking any Thai jobs away.

These are prime examples of your typical VISA runner as well, and what harm are they? Considering Thailand is trying to attract IT experts and has them on their list of preferred occupations for expats, you would think Thailand would offer a better way for them to stay. However, there's no decent VISA options available. Can't get a B VISA + work permit due to no Thai job, not married, not old enough for retirement, and can't really do an ED VISA because they're already putting in 60 - 80 hours/week, not to mention their personal life.

• Like 1

Those doing continuous visa runs probably cost the country more than they contribute overall as read coupla years ago foreigners were blocking up parts of the Thai health system.

This morning walking the main street in Auckland, there were several English/Irish accented asking for money: amazing to have 20 begging for money in the space of walking two blocks.

It's become a bit of a problem with those from Europe staying in backpackers/hostels, then returning to steal food, have showers etc. after they have left....they would pass unnoticed having free meals/getting donated food bags from charities here too.

I meet many who go to Asian countries to teach ESOL and on returning they have no job or little or zilch savings.

However, I'm aware that many European retirees have contributed with initiatives and are putting money into the economy and contributing towards the Thai community in lots of ways. But they wouldn't be those doing sneaky visa runs and not working legally.

I

I dont do sneaky visa runs as you put it .Having said that can I ask what is a sneaky visa run ?

People go to the border get a stamp in their passport what is sneaky about that ? As to working well thats up to them & if they get caught working then they will be kicked out . Although it is only by an accident of birth that they are breaking the law if working.

All these mega rich farangs wanting all these people kicked out . Lets face it if the posters on here really was up in the HISO range they wouldn't even see these people.

Anyway another day & I just love dosing around . I will like it even more while I think about the nice people at work conning people into buying timeshares . Then claiming a border runner is scum & not wanted. Land of scams . Be lucky you border runners

The rant against the rich farangs and the timeshare stuff is getting a little old. Try something new.

I think the problem you're having with this thread is you seem to be unable to distinguish the statement of facts with people passing judgement. I could care less if you have abused the tourist visa system. I've done it before. I don't even care if you work. Doesn't bother me or even concern me in the slightest.

But, I don't feel sorry for you or anyone else who has abused the tourist visa. Just like I don't feel sorry when I see someone getting pulled over for a speeding ticket (even if I was speeding too). You exit my conscious thoughts before I get to the next offramp. I don't look down on you because I assume you're adult and you can make adult decisions and deal with adult consequences of those decisions.

I may think getting caught sucks but just because I explain to you that the speed limit is 100kph, doesn't mean that I'm looking down on you or think that I'm better than you. It simply means, the speed limit is 100kph and the police have done nothing wrong in issuing you a ticket.

Now, the fact of the matter is that you've chosen to live in Thailand and you have to live by their rules. If you don't like their rules, you're free to leave. As much as your personal beliefs dictate that you are a citizen of the world and should be able to live where you want and do what you want, in the real world, there are rules.

Oh dear you seem to do alot of selecting when you post

1 where do I say that I that I work ? I have clearly stated that IDONT WORK DONT BELIEVE IN ME WORKING & I LOVE DOSING AROUND. I also dont have to work.

Now why are you trying to make out that the people (YES REAL PEOPLE) that do border runs are complaining about the rules ? When in fact it is the ones with GOOD JOBS that seem to have the problem with the people that just obey the rules & do it by not doing lowlife stuff like conning tourist like selling timeshare con packages to the less wise.

Now the fact of the matter is that YOU have to work to stay in Thailand & I don't . You hate the fact that while you compeat with the neighbours to have the shinniest car & the best curtains to twitch .Their are people who seem to be doing nothing & having a much better life than you .

I find the people that you complain about & are trying to lable me as ,real human beings not cardboard cut outs.

It is you that have put yourself in the straight jacket NOT them. You wanna be HISO so much that you ruin your life trying to get their & get off on trying to run people down because that sort of makes you think you are better when deep down youknow your not.

Now just because I have afew quid it dont make me better than you or anybody else. Yes money dont make me better but you think the opposite . The mere fact that you came on this thread with your only motive to support anything that makes it hard for others (NOT YOU) because that would be so wrong wouldn't it.

It stands out that you hate having to work especially when others don't. You also think that if you can,t live the dream nobody should.

Now you say you dont look down on me . Why? I have loads of money yet choose to live in Thailand on tourist visa's , The fact that you say that is that really you do because you have it in your head that timeshare con men in suits are ok .

principles principles principles hahaha have you ever met a con man doing border runs ? You already have said that you have bent & broken visa rules yet still you look down on the none complaining border runners

I

NZVIC, I am in total agreement with your post! Those who are doing these 30 day visa runs are those who are trying to circumvent the law and are generally a drag on the Thai economy and give the legitimate "farang" retirement community here a black eye thumbsup.gif

What about those like me who have more money than you have ever seen in your lifetime but are under 50 years old...

I don`t think so. If foreigners need to do regular border hops in order to stay long term in the country, than this means they are people of little wealth or may have more dubious reasons for avoiding the Immigration departments

In the past Immigration has attempted to discourage visa hoppers that no one took seriously because these threats have mostly been hot air blowing in the wind. But this time the scenario is completely different. Thailand has come under scrutiny and some harsh criticisms recently regarding the Malaysian plane disappearance, undesirable foreigners coming and leaving the country plus the easy availability to obtain fake documents and passports.

I am in no doubts that this new threat to impose tighter restrictions on the entry of foreigners into Thailand has come about due to International presuure and make no mistakes, these rules are going to be implemented. In my opinion the sooner the better.

I

What about those like me who have more money than you have ever seen in your lifetime but are under 50 years old...

True, but the questions are; where do you and others in similar situations obtain their money? What actually are they into in Thailand? And these are the main concerns of the authorities.

Farangs under 50 with adequate funds can obtain visas with no problems if married to a Thai spouse, education, religious missionaries, charity workers, or legally working with work permits. For those under 50 who do not fall into any of these categories, than why are they here for the long term?

• Like 1

Sometimes it would just be nice to be treated as the husband of a Thai citizen.

Not a pseudo criminal that needs to justify wanting to live with his family !!!

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!

GREAT POST AND SO TRUE!!

I love my Thai wife and our son that was born here. Family is everything to me and I thought Thais feel the same, but you have to qualify financially in order to live with your family and that is all that matters to immigration.

It seems love and keeping a family together is not the most important thing to immigration, the only thing that matters is how much a person has or makes is the most important reason (and only reason) for letting a farang stay with his family.

How pathetic.

THANKS cornishcarlos for the post and good luck to you.

, Yes, just over 1000 baht a day is an absolute fortune.

As to the query in #233, they can get an extension by reason of the Police Order 777/2551 2.5 investment if they plunk down 10 million baht into a qualified account. And if they don't have the roughly 300,000 $US cash, I don't see how anyone can say that they have now more money than some/most have ever seen in their lifetime.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

I was of the opinion that anyone going out and back in across land border was issued 15 more days. I thought this to be the case for several years already .

No.As of November 1, 2013 all G7 countries get 30 days by any land crossing. They are UK, USA, Canada, Germany, France, Italy and Japan.

I

With that much money, it's no problem getting a visa ;)