Second hand wheels stopped at customs!

OmegaRacer

I'm curious to see what you guys think about this.

I recently bought a set of second hand alloy wheels from Germany worth about 70Euros. I've done it a few times before and never had a problem. Sometimes had to pay customs and tax, other times nothing.

2 days ago I got a notice from the post office that the wheels got stopped at customs in Bangkok.

My wife called to see what the problem was. They told her they didn't believe the low price of the wheels. So I got a receipt from the seller to prove that and called again today. Now they are saying it's against the law to import used tires, due to some environmental law.

Now, although very upsetting, I can follow the logic behind such a law, that prevents the dumping of old tires in Thailand.

What drives me mad though, is that they're refusing to send the wheels back to Germany. Basically, they are keeping them for themselves and probably selling them.

What do you think? What can be done?

Should I just take the loss?

They probably could but as the Thai Customs Dept is one of the most corrupt government agencies in Thailand, which is saying a lot, they can, much like the RTP, do what they wish.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Customs would hold your puppy dog hostage for a backhander.

BAX Global delivered a parcel and they warned me the fee would not match the receipt.

For a real eye opener, go out airport and try to pick up your package yourself.

The shipping company staff are scared to death of the thugs that run all over them.

I just don't understand why they can't send them back...

I'm always amused to read comments like this.

You (apparently) tried to Import forbidden items into Thailand and the Shipment was intercepted by Thai Customs.

Now you want to say to Customs:

"Whoops! You caught me this time! Let's just send the illegal Import back to the Country of origin with no penalty to me for trying? No play no foul, OK?"

Try that in the U.S. or Europe.

Patrick

• Like 2

You (apparently) tried to Import forbidden items into Thailand and the Shipment was intercepted by Thai Customs.

"Whoops! You caught me this time! Let's just send the illegal Import back to the Country of origin with no penalty to me for trying? No play no foul, OK?"

Patrick

How was I supposed to know about this new law (November 2013)??

I imported the wheels with a clear conscience, not knowing that it would be against the law, as I've done a few times before. I don't even need the bloody tires!

So you think 10.000Baht loss (=> wheels plus shipping) is a justified penalty for braking this law? A warning would do just fine imo.

Personally I think they're just thieving bstds.

The seller is now trying to contact DHL to see if they can get the wheels back.

I know 10k is not the end of the world, but still...

Patrick

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

• Like 1

Patrick

And I heard this piece of wisdom before and still can't agree with it

He may have shipped it before November when it wasnt illegal and it arrived after the law came in place too.

Try killing someone and say you didn't realise it was against the law and see how far that gets you.

Keep doing, your common sense and empathy will make your a lot of friends... not.

He may have shipped it before November when it wasnt illegal and it arrived after the law came in place too.

His original post said 'recently'

Try killing someone and say you didn't realise it was against the law and see how far that gets you.

Keep doing, your common sense and empathy will make your a lot of friends... not.

I'm not looking for friends. I'm pointing out that ignorance of the law is no excuse. He broke the law and got caught. End of story.

Patrick

I imported the wheels with a clear conscience, not knowing that it would be against the law, as I've done a few times before. I don't even need the bloody tires!

So you think 10.000Baht loss (=> wheels plus shipping) is a justified penalty for braking this law? A warning would do just fine imo.

Ask DHL if they can re-address them to me in an export processing zone. tyres should not be an issue then.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

I'm not looking for friends. I'm pointing out that ignorance of the law is no excuse. He broke the law and got caught. End of story.

With your attitude you must have stopped looking since a long time.

Patrick

Ask DHL if they can re-address them to me in an export processing zone. tyres should not be an issue then.

Thank you for the offer, Spoonman. I will first see if DHL can get them back and decide from there.

Only important for costing me 10kBaht. I've got another set on the way already, thankfully without tires!

get the hearing date or pay the fees.

They screwed me on a large shipment of carbon fiber fabric - i just paid them

I'm pointing out facts - facts that the the OP has already encountered. Your strawman remarks are irrelevant. They won't get the OP his wheels back either.

so who are you?

one of these fatso old volunteer police here?

like everything is going by law in thailand, you only mind the guy's wheels?

c'mon! you are swimming in shallow waters man.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Chew on that.

so who are you?

one of these fatso old volunteer police here?

like everything is going by law in thailand, you only mind the guy's wheels?

c'mon! you are swimming in shallow waters man.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Chew on that.

Ahaha... ll2 is currenty chewing a new bike, while you seem to chew on your own bilious liver. Please keep going and make us laugh more.

• Like 1

I don't understand why you're picking on him, he's absolutely correct. Maybe his example with "killing someone" was a little over the top but as another, more sensible example, you have to know the drug laws of the countries you're traveling to. Some regular over the counter meds from one country maybe prescription only or plain illegal in another country. If you get caught, "I didn't know the law" will not get you out of troubles, period!

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

I don't understand why you're picking on him, he's absolutely correct. Maybe his example with "killing someone" was a little over the top but as another, more sensible example, you have to know the drug laws of the countries you're traveling to. Some regular over the counter meds from one country maybe prescription only or plain illegal in another country. If you get caught, "I didn't know the law" will not get you out of troubles, period!

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

Zzzzzz

Patrick

To repeat a stupid quote does not make you look to smart. Do you know all of the millions of laws? No. Does anyone? No.

• Like 1