Is It Only A Lack Of Education, Or The Norm?

lostinisaan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to hospital for what ? Can you accept that people decide to die ? Anyway he will die even if he goes to Disneylands Esaan hospitals, or maybe you will pay him a private one ?

So ridiculous to help one when thousands are dying.

Just came back from a holiday in Utopia and read your post.It's not about a private hospital. It's about finding the right doctor and helping a good friend.

Ridiculous is when people stop helping others, when " thousands are dying." wai2.gif

I think u are wrong. Much much better to die quickly and at home. We haf msny kibbutz members with cancers who recided to die st home snd refused care because they couldnt face the thought of after working outside their whole life to be locked in a hospital is like treating them like animals. Idont treat my pet s like that. It is their right to refuse treatment and not your right to be selfish about wanting to help. If they were to ask for help nuther story altogether. U want to help to feel good about yourself. Would u help someine who needs help but u dont like him?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Much better to not die at all from something that may be curable in hospital.Cost is a huge factor here.

It is clearly impossible for me to have knowledge of this gents clinical condition. However, if he has spent years abusing alcohol and eating Koi Pla it is very likely he has very sever liver disease. Recovery from such a condition is extremely unlikely.

The Thai people are very aware of liver disease especially those who live in the North East. There are ongoing Government campaigns which seek to modify peoples attitudes in respect of eating raw fish (the source of liver fluke) and alcohol.

In the West "uneducated" people used to smoke now, after many years of "Education", Western populations have "learnt" that smoking is unwise and leads to nasty disease processes which result in death.

Now the "uneducated" Westerner is eating him/herself into an early grave having succumbed to the results of gross obesity.

Stop and think before blaming a "lack of education" for a persons behavior/decision making.

Returning to Thai gent in question. He likely is very aware of his condition and prognosis. He has determined that would prefer to remain at home.

Support him in his decision and do whatever is practical to ease his path.

Edited by thepool

Sorry to say there is nothing you can do, no one hear will do as you wish, if you can't find a Thai person of authority to talk to your friend he will never go back to hospital. The hospitals are full of people dying they are disgusting places, the beds are touching and the relatives sleep under them on the floor some times it may be better to let people die at home with a small amount of dignity.

I have personal experience very close to what you describe. You have been a good friend if you can do no more, do not punish yourself.

My first wife was from Isaan (Buri Ram). She died at home from what was probably cirrhosis. The doctor put heart failure on the death certificate. Good call; she died so her heart stopped beating. My second wife died last year in the hospital. She went for what should have been a minor abdominal surgery; something happened and they moved her to the ICU. After a week why started begging us to tell the doctor to let her go home to die. Three days later she finally died. To this day I don't know if she would have suffered less if we had taken her off the machines. Her older brother commented afterward that he was never going to allow any doctor to operate on him. She had a master's degree and taught special classes in accounting at Thammasat.

In my experience, Thais seem to prefer to let people make their own life or death decisions.

The question of showing the money involved in a wedding: I've never seen it displayed after the wedding. It's displayed after the families agree on a bride price and the groom delivers it. Partly it's to show how much the man values his new wife, to prove that he will be a good provider, and that he really loves her.

The commonly asked question about whether you've eaten or not -- You have to realize that until about fifty years ago Thailand was basically a subsistence agricultural economy. If the harvest wasn't good people might have a problem making the harvest stretch to the next year. Asking if someone has has eaten or not is a way of showing concern for them. When I was a kid, in the last years of the depression, it was common in America for people to say, "Why don't you stay for dinner? We can just put a little more water in the soup." Now they insist on cutting food stamps. But it's really important to Thais. My late wife was terribly offended because my step-daughter and granddaughter from the previous marriage never asked about my health when they called me. I mean, she was really angry about it.

The more common greeting I hear is, "Bai nai ma?", which translates literally as "Where have you been?" You have to understand that this is what's called a "linguistic formula," just like "how are you?"

I'm often struck by how angry farangs seem to get about ways in which Thais don't act like farangs. I learned over thirty years ago thet when Thais do something differently from Americans they usually have a reason. It may not be a reason we see immediately, but it seems good to them.

Back to the original question about what you can do for the guy who refuses to go to the hospital, all I can say is, sometimes there's just nothing you can do to help another person.

Every expat should read your post. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

My first wife was from Isaan (Buri Ram). She died at home from what was probably cirrhosis. The doctor put heart failure on the death certificate. Good call; she died so her heart stopped beating. My second wife died last year in the hospital. She went for what should have been a minor abdominal surgery; something happened and they moved her to the ICU. After a week why started begging us to tell the doctor to let her go home to die. Three days later she finally died. To this day I don't know if she would have suffered less if we had taken her off the machines. Her older brother commented afterward that he was never going to allow any doctor to operate on him. She had a master's degree and taught special classes in accounting at Thammasat.

In my experience, Thais seem to prefer to let people make their own life or death decisions.

The question of showing the money involved in a wedding: I've never seen it displayed after the wedding. It's displayed after the families agree on a bride price and the groom delivers it. Partly it's to show how much the man values his new wife, to prove that he will be a good provider, and that he really loves her.

The commonly asked question about whether you've eaten or not -- You have to realize that until about fifty years ago Thailand was basically a subsistence agricultural economy. If the harvest wasn't good people might have a problem making the harvest stretch to the next year. Asking if someone has has eaten or not is a way of showing concern for them. When I was a kid, in the last years of the depression, it was common in America for people to say, "Why don't you stay for dinner? We can just put a little more water in the soup." Now they insist on cutting food stamps. But it's really important to Thais. My late wife was terribly offended because my step-daughter and granddaughter from the previous marriage never asked about my health when they called me. I mean, she was really angry about it.

The more common greeting I hear is, "Bai nai ma?", which translates literally as "Where have you been?" You have to understand that this is what's called a "linguistic formula," just like "how are you?"

I'm often struck by how angry farangs seem to get about ways in which Thais don't act like farangs. I learned over thirty years ago thet when Thais do something differently from Americans they usually have a reason. It may not be a reason we see immediately, but it seems good to them.

Back to the original question about what you can do for the guy who refuses to go to the hospital, all I can say is, sometimes there's just nothing you can do to help another person.

Thanks for your true and wise post. Here's an update. I went to see him and I'd assume that he's got Aszites , as his abdomen and one leg are full with water.

There's no point to get him to the hospital, but his younger brother, the best educated and wealthiest guy of the family, will come to the village this week.

So, t seems to be wise to let his brother make the right decision. He can't move anymore, people have to bring him to the toilet and I'm just wondering if his old mother can deal with watching her dying son.

She's 90 and I'm really concerned how that will end.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

Thanks for your true and wise post. Here's an update. I went to see him and I'd assume that he's got Aszites , as his abdomen and one leg are full with water.

There's no point to get him to the hospital, but his younger brother, the best educated and wealthiest guy of the family, will come to the village this week.

So, t seems to be wise to let his brother make the right decision. He can't move anymore, people have to bring him to the toilet and I'm just wondering if his old mother can deal with watching her dying son.

There is nothing you can do.

A friend who thought, reasonably, that he was facing terminal illness summed it up as "It'll only be more of the same" when I was pushing him into treatment. In fact I've had three friends say this to me. Two have since passed.

Rather than considering this a depressive outlook, consider it a realistic one. Often times there is no point in carrying on when the person has no quality of life or prospect thereof.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

There is nothing you can do.

A friend who thought, reasonably, that he was facing terminal illness summed it up as "It'll only be more of the same" when I was pushing him into treatment. In fact I've had three friends say this to me. Two have since passed.

Rather than considering this a depressive outlook, consider it a realistic one. Often times there is no point in carrying on when the person has no quality of life or prospect there of.

Let's put it this way. Many wouldn't have to die, if they would see an internist. But how good are the chances to see the right doctor in lower Isaan?

You can't send them to a hospital, but spending some time with him would definitely help. Sad is that many would survive,but once some people died because they were all alcoholics, they seem to think there's no way to rescue them.

Then the loss of face, people have to stay at the hospital with him, etc....I remember a woman from my wife's village who went to see us, when my wife was sick and hospitalized.

Her mom had cancer, she showed me the diagnosis and I had to whisper, as she might have thought it's something bad.

It was written in English and I had given her the advice that a CT was needed. Even that gave her hope.

Whenever I drive to the village, I have to "greet" the ghosts, by using my horn three times, same when we drive back.

Once such a society believes in ghosts who want to take their people away, it's abut education. Good luck with your Lung.

• Like 1

Sirchai, agree but all three friends I mentioned are/were foreigners with education and money.

One was a retired surgeon.

• Like 1

Sirchai, agree but all three friends I mentioned are/were foreigners with education and money.

One was a retired surgeon.

If they denied help, or had their last will saying so, okay. It's pretty obvious that too many foreigners in Thailand do drink too much. So when you tell them to stop, you're obviously telling them that you'd like to take away what they like.

And alcoholics do like their drug ,as much as heroin junkies love their stuff. Please see the problem Chicago/America's facing now.

Don't you think that heron is less dangerous than hard alcohol? It's an illegal substance that makes those people to criminals.

Please see and try to take their heroin

"When an artist of great talent dies due to addiction, as did Philip Seymour Hoffman on Sunday morning, we have an occasion to talk with people we love.

Too often, it takes a tragic death to remind us of the importance of substance abuse treatment. And yet, contrary to the seeming message of that death, addiction is truly a preventable disease and a treatable medical condition.

Hoffman’s performance in “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” as the subversive Plutarch Heavensbee, made him visible to our kids — just as their generation struggles with drugs for the first time in their lives. His death can teach them — and us — a lesson."

away.http://www.suntimes.com/news/otherviews/25402314-452/talking-to-loved-ones-about-heroin.html

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Sirchai, one had diabetes and a drink problem the other a bad heart and a serious weight problem.

So yes, within their power to sort out. But both had decided enough was enough.

The other, who is alive and well but has occupational health complications (used to spray cars, isocyantes and pancreatic cancer risk, biopsy every 3 months) is doing something about it but accepts when it is time to go he won't be missing anything other than the usual routine and isn't bothered.

Sirchai, one had diabetes and a drink problem the other a bad heart and a serious weight problem.

The other, who is alive and well but has occupational health complications (used to spray cars, isocyantes and pancreatic cancer risk, biopsy every 3 months) is doing something about it but accepts when it is time to go he won't be missing anything other than the usual routine and isn't bothered.

Well, I had a Hep. C about 25 years ago, further blood checks showed that my immune system had a sort of fought the virus in a way that I do have Anti bodies, but the virus couldn't damage my liver/ life.( Nor could I infect anybody else)

A friend of mine was not so lucky and died because of a Interferon therapy. Unfortunately, the medicine had killed him.

I agree with your statement that enough is enough. But I disagree when village people might think his Karma got him and he has to die.

I'm in the middle of writing my last will in three languages,as I'll never hang at any machines, I've seen that here too often and none of them had survived.

We're all same, but different. If my best friend would suffer, without the chance to get better, and ask me to help him to reach Nirvana, I might help him/her.

This would change if people are telling me that ghosts wanna take him/her away. Good day.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Well, I had a Hep. C about 25 years ago, further blood checks showed that my immune system had a sort of fought the virus in a way that I do have Anti bodies, but the virus couldn't damage my liver/ life.( Nor could I infect anybody else)

A friend of mine was not so lucky and died because of a Interferon therapy. Unfortunately, the medicine had killed him.

I agree with your statement that enough is enough. But I disagree when village people might think his Karma got him and he has to die.

I'm in the middle of writing my last will in three languages,as I'll never hang at any machines, I've seen that here too often and none of them had survived.

We're all same, but different. If my best friend would suffer, without the chance to get better, and ask me to help him to reach Nirvana, I might help him/her.

This would change if people are telling me that ghosts wanna take him/her away. Good day.-wai2.gif

Oh yes, it's the backwards hocus pocus we all know holds these folks in their miserble penuary.

• Like 1

Hi,

My own father had diabetes type 1 and was an alcoholic who made it only to 50 years. It wasn't his decision that he had to go, he died when they're trying -again- to get him sober.

Oh yes, it's the backwards hocus pocus we all know holds these folks in their miserble penuary.

Another uncle ten years ago had suffered of a stroke in same village. I offered my car and wanted to pay for a professor in Surin, where they have some stroke units.

The family didn't believe my diagnosis, including my own wife, until they'd to bring him to a little shitty hospital a few weeks later.

Then hanging on machines and they finally brought him to see the professor in Surin. He's asking the hospital staff, why they couldn't bring him a little earlier.

Some older men in the village danced around him to get the ghosts out of him, which caused a huge problem between my wife and me.

But know now they know that I was right and listen to what I say.

Edited by sirchai

Hi,

My own father had diabetes type 1 and was an alcoholic who made it only to 50 years. It wasn't his decision that he had to go, he died when they're trying -again- to get him sober.

Type 2 diabetes here and complications. Don't drink but health bad through workaholism and poor irregular diet.

Been told heart attack soon, next few years, but stuck in the hamster wheel.

Sometimes I feel the same.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This would change if people are telling me that ghosts wanna take him/her away. Good day.-wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

A lot of very muddled information here !

HCV was not even discovered until about 1988 and routine testing/ treatment for the virus was simply not available in those times.

Look here

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19207970

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This would change if people are telling me that ghosts wanna take him/her away. Good day.-wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

HCV was not even discovered until about 1988 and routine testing/ treatment for the virus was simply not available in those times.

Look here

Please, I wrote about 25 years ago, your post says between 1982 and 88. Fact is that a good friend of of mine was the doctor who came up with the diagnosis.

I had good luck, as my doc told me that only a few out of one thousand would have such good luck, that the virus is capsuled inside the liver and can't do anymore damage.

P. S. About two years before my diagnosis, there wasn't even a name for it and Hep. C was called Non-A, Non-B.

Why would I write that if that's not true?-wai2.gif

Please read:

Abstract

Hepatitis C was first recognized as a form of viral hepatitis that was distinct from disease caused by hepatitis A virus and hepatitis B virus. The etiologic agent of hepatitis C was proposed to be a small, enveloped virus based on demonstrations of its transmissibility to chimpanzees, electron microscopic studies, and sensitive to chloroform. Successful molecular cloning of viral genome in the late 1980's led to the development of assay for serological diagnosis of HCV and it is currently estimated that at least 170 million people are chronically infected with the hepatitis C virus

.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11573279

Edited by sirchai

Look here

Please, I wrote about 25 years ago, your post says between 1982 and 88. Fact is that a good friend of of mine was the doctor who came up with the diagnosis.

I had good luck, as my doc told me that only a few out of one thousand would have such good luck, that the virus is capsuled inside the liver and can't do anymore damage.

P. S. About two years before my diagnosis, there wasn't even a name for it and Hep. C was called Non-A, Non-B.

Why would I write that if that's not true?-wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

2014-25 = 1989 at least I hope you agree on that small fact !

If you read the link you will note that it was not until 1988 that HCV was finally identified.

So whilst non A and non B was recognised at that time it was later when specific testing for HCV became widely available and later still before effective treatment was identified.

By the way look up the data related to Interferon "killing" people !

Any evidence ?

There are of course risks which should be fully explained.

Edited by thepool

my brother inlaw died this year after a short illness, he was sixty and liked his low cow whiskey, over the last 4 years i had tried to advise this hardworking man to give the low cow a miss,it got a bit embarrassing in the end as if he seen me he used to hide the low cow under his shirt, i did not tell him to stop drinking just stop drinking this rot gut,there is probably a reason why this whiskey is so popular in issan and other rural areas, the fact that it is very cheap due to hardly any tax

is not i've read accidental, but the american writers book where i got this information is banned in thailand. so education does not appear first on any agenda here.

you need to know how bad your friend is?the liver can regenerate but not after cirrhosis, if it is just a matter of time, then he should be left to decide where he wants to be.

noo went suddenly told his wife he needed to sleep and never woke up, i think although still sad as he was a lovely bloke,it is better to go in your home with your family around you.

good luck zoza

If you read the link you will note that it was not until 1988 that HCV was finally identified.

So whilst non A and non B was recognised at that time it was later when specific testing for HCV became widely available and later still before effective treatment was identified.

Any evidence ?

Once again, I'd written about 25 years. When I had my diagnosis it was already Hep.c, not Non-a, Non-B. A good friend of mine wasn't that lucky, started to inject Interferon and died only a few weeks afterwards.

His name was Werner Baumann,, his rests can be found at the cemetery of Mainbernnheim, which belongs to Bavaria in lower Franconia.

I hope that's enough evidence for you.

thepool, I'd posted this here, as I couldn't add more messages.

Edited by sirchai

Any evidence ?

Once again, I'd written about 25 years. When I had my diagnosis it was already Hep.c, not Non-a, Non-B. A good friend of mine wasn't that lucky, started to inject Interferon and died only a few weeks afterwards.

His name was Werner Baumann,, his rests can be found at the cemetery of Mainbernnheim, which belongs to Bavaria in lower Franconia.

I was not trying to take issue with you but rather just ensure accurate facts are presented.

I am indeed sorry for your friend but it is wrong to suggest that his treatment "killed" him.

That is scaremongering and do not forget people may read this who are actually undergoing treatment now.

Just to bring you right up to date Hepatitis now can be identified as being A, B, C. D,E, F or G !

Any evidence ?

I was not trying to take issue with you but rather just ensure accurate facts are presented.

I am indeed sorry for your friend but it is wrong to suggest that his treatment "killed" him.

That is scaremongering and do not forget people may read this who are actually undergoing treatment now.

Just to bring you right up to date Hepatitis now can be identified as being A, B, C. D,E, F or G !

Please be aware that any medicine similar to Interferon can cause terrible side effects, which led to the death of my friend. I also know how many different variations of Hepatitis there are.Thank you.

P.S. My friend seemed to be one of the first patients treated with Interferon, and we all know what AZT did to patients a long time ago. No false information given by me.

Edited by sirchai

Any evidence ?

Please be aware that any medicine similar to Interferon can cause terrible side effects, which led to the death of my friend. I also know how many different variations of Hepatitis there are.Thank you.

P.S. My friend seemed to be one of the first patients treated with Interferon, and we all know what AZT did to patients a long time ago. No false information given by me.

Using the word "killed" carries suggestions of impropriety ---------it is an emotive word that should not be used in relation to medication which is/was given with the best of intent.

All people who embark on interferon medication are fully informed of the potential for side effects ---------the treatment is not forced upon individuals they CHOOSE to accept the medication.

Why you are now attempting to introduce an argument about AZT is beyond me. What happened to those who chose not to take AZT ? Did they miraculously recover ?

Now ----

This debate is at an end !

Using the word "killed" carries suggestions of impropriety ---------it is an emotive word that should not be used in relation to medication which is/was given with the best of intent.

All people who embark on interferon medication are fully informed of the potential for side effects ---------the treatment is not forced upon individuals they CHOOSE to accept the medication.

Why you are now attempting to introduce an argument about AZT is beyond me. What happened to those who chose not to take AZT ? Did they miraculously recover ?

Now ----

This debate is at an end !

who says so? Who asked you guys to high jack this thread?

I don't want to die in a hospital either.

I also know a couple of guys that have never been to a doctor or to hospital in their life and that plan to keep it that way.