SuperSight Surgery by Dr. Somchai at BPH .

banglay

Hello All.

SuperSight Surgery by Dr. Somchai at BPH has any one had this procedure done?? ..Were you happy with the results etc ???. I know the price(฿200.000+) and it's not the problem I just want to know how good the results were from a personal prospective before I make my decision ..

Please don't make this post became how BPH rips people offbeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

Thanks in advance Cheers.

• Like 1

If I understand the procedure correctly this is like cataract surgery without the cataracts. Based on the success rate of lens replacements (I have had cataract surgery) I would feel confident with an experienced doctor. My only concern is both eyes are done simultaneously, something that isn't always done other countries. The high costs comes from the expense of the lenses which are European imports.

I would go for 2nd opinion at Rutnin, (Asoke Bangkok ) first...

In the past BPH suggested laser treatment at 90,000 baht when for health check-up

At Rutnin, the laughed it away telling me at current condition to wait several years. (They have my record )

The OP is asking about an optional medical procedure so he can throw is eyeglasses or contacts away.

I would trust Rutnin to operate on my eyes, one at a time, I wouldn't trust anywhere else. And anyway, why would you want to let someone operate on your eyes, unless you virtually cannot see, seems silly and highly risky/dangerous to me.

For those who really need cataract surgery (I am NOT an advocate of people getting cataract surgery who don't actually have cataracts ... to me that sounds CRAZY) be advised that Thailand now has at least THREE femtosecond laser machines for laser assisted cataract surgery. Rutnin as well but not yet being offered to the public, that will happen later. I'd say in about a year this will start to be a big thing in Thailand. Something worth considering to WAIT as this is more advanced technology and it is especially suitable to people with astigmatism in one or both eyes.

The benefits of course, no incision, more accuracy, and shorter recovery periods.

The downsides, it is not suitable for all patients and of course this needs to cost more, the machines are so expensive.

It's clear to me within 10 years this new method will be standard at least in the developed world.

As far as I know, there are no Pattaya areas hospitals who have bought (or will soon buy) these massively costly machines.

The second Thai hospital that has one is upcountry from Bangkok. Then there is Rutnin, and I don't know the third.

By know, there may be more.

BTW, these machines have been fully operational in nearby countries for a good amount of time now:

India, Malaysia, and Philippines.

Edited by Jingthing

I do not need cataract surgery ..I am looking to have special lenses implanted so that I can throw away my vari focal glasses for once and forever..

Yes I understand. In my view, this is overselling cataract surgery for people without cataracts. You don't have cataracts but you are talking about getting cataract surgery (removing your natural lens and replacing). I guess I have a conservative view on such things and think even low risk cataract surgery should be limited to those who actually NEED it. Obviously, this is up to you. I am suggesting -- think hard on that.

On the pro side, if you live long enough, you are likely to develop cataracts anyway, so getting this surgery means you won't need cataract surgery later.

One question I have which I am not informed enough to know about is if this cataract surgery for people without cataracts is being promoted in western countries. I haven't heard that it is.

In Thailand, you can easily buy all kinds of procedures you don't really need, or aren't particularly sensible ...

Edited by Jingthing

I do not need cataract surgery ..I am looking to have special lenses implanted so that I can throw away my vari focal glasses for once and forever..

Yes I understand. In my view, this is overselling cataract surgery for people without cataracts. You don't have cataracts but you are talking about getting cataract surgery (removing your natural lens and replacing). I guess I have a conservative view on such things and think even low risk cataract surgery should be limited to those who actually NEED it. Obviously, this is up to you. I am suggesting -- think hard on that.

On the pro side, if you live long enough, you are likely to develop cataracts anyway, so getting this surgery means you won't need cataract surgery later.

One question I have which I am not informed enough to know about is if this cataract surgery for people without cataracts is being promoted in western countries. I haven't heard that it is.

In Thailand, you can easily buy all kinds of procedures you don't really need, or aren't particularly sensible ...

In Thailand, you can easily buy all kinds of procedures you don't really need, or aren't particularly sensible

That's why there are so many Agogo's Bar beers and massage palours lol

Cute, but I'm actually curious.

If this is such a good idea, doing cataract surgery for those without cataracts, why isn't this happening all over the world?

(Or is it. I don't know.)

Also as far as I can tell "SuperSight Surgery" is simply MARKETING language to describe a cataract procedure (removing natural lenses) and using really high quality multifocus lens replacements (which is an option for cataract surgery in general) targeting mostly those who don't have cataracts.

I could be wrong about that, but that's my understanding.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Jingthing

If this is such a good idea, doing cataract surgery for those without cataracts, why isn't this happening all over the world?

Also as far as I can tell "SuperSight Surgery" is simply MARKETING language to describe a cataract procedure and using really high quality multifocus lens replacements (which is an option for cataract surgery in general) targeting mostly those who don't have cataracts.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

maybe so....

the west is not the best example for everything in this screwed up world ..things we don't need are promoted by multi national companies in the hope of squeezing every last penny out of people for pure profit ..never mind if we need it or not ....

may I suggest you do a bit more research . it's not my place to correct anyone ..

I didn't actually want a debate I only asked for feedback from people who've already had the procedure

thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gifthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif no offence is meant in this reply

Well, I have done research on this before and that was my conclusion so I was curious to know if anyone else who has researched it came to a DIFFERENT conclusion.

I think it was reasonable to comment on the appropriateness of this procedure here for those without cataracts, as I have done, but on your request, I will drop it.wai2.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

My situation was similar to bahtboy's but I had each eye down separately. The first surgery went without a hitch but on the second, the lens sac broke when the doctor tried to suck out the cataract. The old shattered lens fell back into the eye and I had emergency eye surgery. Four years later would I do it again?.... Yes. Apparently the greatest danger is removing the cataract which is not done in Supersight surgery so the risk is less(?). There is no medical reason for this surgery and consequently insurers will not cover it. Only the OP can make this decision whether the risk(small) outweighs the benefit.

Not sure we can write open about this, so I write the conclusion and hope to save pain and grieve to many: Very good friend had said surgery and follow up laser after unsatisfactory results and ended up getting a second opinion at Rutnin: Both eyes damaged, one badly and not reparable. In Pattaya they had him pushed for another laser treatment/try to fix, which i was able to stop and redirect him to Bangkok. NEVER EVER here in Pattaya. MS>

It is sadly not uncommon for cataract surgery to need to be followed up later with a laser procedure. Usually not very costly compared to the actual cataract procedure. (Not the same thing at all as laser assisted femtosecond cataract surgery.) Not making a value judgment here either way on this specific case though!

http://www.supersightsurgery.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=355625&Ntype=777

What is a secondary cataract?

The lens of the eye will be removed during surgery, the natural bag or capsule of the lens remains intact so that the implant can be placed within it.
Months to years after your surgery, this capsule can cloud over and blur your vision. What happens is that the patient reports gradual blurring of vision.
The diagnosis can usually be confirmed by the optometrist (optician), and the patient referred back to the eye surgeon.
This is very easily remedied with a laser procedure, involves clearing a central area of the opaque capsule using a special laser (and this is the only time that lasers are used in cataract surgery), called a capsulotomy.
This restores vision almost immediately; it is painless, and always done as an outpatient procedure.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I had the SS Surgery four or five years ago! The staff and Dr. Somchai are wonderful! The surgery is totally painless! The results are fantastic! I had to wear tri-focals and also had an astigmatism and the beginnings of cataracts .... I see perfectly now and have never regretted the money spent.

The best money ever spent ... ever! Tell Dr. Somchai James from Hawaii recommended the surgery and his staff!

Watch for my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcNdNBDMXg8

And NO ... I never got any rebate for the many people I have recommended over the years! biggrin.png

Jmaes from Jomtien wai.gif

• Like 1

I had the SS Surgery four or five years ago! The staff and Dr. Somchai are wonderful! The surgery is totally painless! The results are fantastic! I had to wear tri-focals and also had an astigmatism and the beginnings of cataracts .... I see perfectly now and have never regretted the money spent.

The best money ever spent ... ever! Tell Dr. Somchai James from Hawaii recommended the surgery and his staff!

Watch for my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcNdNBDMXg8

And NO ... I never got any rebate for the many people I have recommended over the years! biggrin.png

Jmaes from Jomtien wai.gif

It sounds like you were a good candidate for cataract surgery. While it is not necessary to get the surgery at the beginning stages of cataracts, I don't think there is any medical reason NOT to do it (usually).

Also as far as I can tell "SuperSight Surgery" is simply MARKETING language to describe a cataract procedure (removing natural lenses) and using really high quality multifocus lens replacements (which is an option for cataract surgery in general) targeting mostly those who don't have cataracts.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

This operation is available and promoted in Europe too, just the cost is higher in most countries here. Turkey may be cheaper what I heard.

Try the queen Siraket navy hospital ,i was told i needed cataract surgery ,but after going there was told ,it was minor and did not need doing for a long time, its as good as any nhs hospital in the UK .

Now thats a good reason not to go

Despite all that is written about the NHS i had bypass surgery in 1986 ,i have been in nhs hospitals on a few occasions and the treatment and outcomes have been superb.

I am half blind in one eye due to negligence of a Doctor no longer working there I have had 3 major eye operations since and would only use Rutnin they are the best - I have follow up visits at Rutnin every 3 months and will need more surgeries because of negligence.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

• Like 1

If I understand the procedure correctly this is like cataract surgery without the cataracts. Based on the success rate of lens replacements (I have had cataract surgery) I would feel confident with an experienced doctor. My only concern is both eyes are done simultaneously, something that isn't always done other countries. The high costs comes from the expense of the lenses which are European imports.

Only a fool would do surgery on both eyes at the same time.

It's not Cataract surgery. Cataract is when your lens is clouding. And it's the most common cause of blindness in the world.

This surgery is also done in about every other country. At least in all western countries