What foreigners dont get about Thai girls.

michaeltheR

100,000,001, and people are still getting it wrong, so, ok

You've been here 5 minutes, lived with a couple of hookers, and think you know the lot.

No Thai language ability at all, give it a rest, you're just making yourself look daft.

Not to mention the anti-western woman comments, which are just wrong.

If you thought all western women were manly, maybe it was because you weren't.

I can accept that, mostly,

except the daft part.

I got around pretty good, and saw what I needed to see,'

I am not a Thai basher,

I started a thread that was fairly positive, it just slanted a little when a wiseass decided to parse words

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are just as many differences WITHIN a culture. Its more like we, as men, will spend the rest of our lives trying to figure out women; regardless of nationality. Crying at the drop of a hat, emotions, thinking, reasons for behavior..ฟืก we're a mystery to them sometimes too buddyใ

• Like 1

Your twisted with you concept of a woman who is a hottie and that you have no chance with her. My girlfriend of 7 years who is now 35 is a show stopper when she walks into the room

Heads turn.In a nutshell she is very beautiful and I am a lucky guy. Lke a lot of pretty girls most men in the west are intimidated with beautiful woman.

Thai or farang would not approach her for fear of being rejected. To make a long story short we have been together 7 years

So it really does not matter if a woman is Thai or Western They are all the same world wide and guys need to accept that . Nothing different about that

• Like 1

It's not so much that the word 'farang' is offensive in itself, more that it's frequently used unnecessarily. Constantly bringing up someone's ethnicity, even in polite terms, in situations where it's irrelevant gets a little tedious. "Oh, I'm not Thai? Thanks for noticing! It would have slipped my mind if you hadn't brought the fact into our unrelated conversation." It's not really a big deal in itself though.

• Like 2

Well my Mrs is fluent in English, Spanish and Thai while I am fluent in only English, can jumble a bit of Thai together if hard pressed, and like tapas.

Works for us.

My present girlfriend can speak English , German, Russian and has only been here 2 weeks!

• Like 1

It's easy to find Thai girls who want a relationship. Well, it is for me, I'm a handsome man.

Sex is easy, relationships are hard.

Relationships with a Thai girls who is are in the game, are harder.

Plenty of Thai girls around, not in the game, who would love to have a farang boyfriend and they're easy to meet.

• Like 2

AFter living here a couple of decades, I've kinda forgotten what it was like in the West but I disagree that Thai women are more friendly and outgoing.

There are more Thai women who are desperately trying to escape poverty - so they are an easy pick up and a hundred times more subservient than Western ones.

That's great if you just want sex. If you want a "real" relationship that isn't based on how much money you have in your pocket then it's a little harder.

You didn't notice that unless you speak thai, the conversation doesn't go much beyond where to eat your next meal, did you?

Thai at Heart, I respect your personal observation, but you can never generalize.

There are many couples in Thailand that can have proper conversations and discuss anything and everything.

Thai people do learn English.

Farangs seldom bother to learn Thai.

Thai don't really want farang to (understand) speak Thai; I experienced some who were rather embarassed when they found out that I understood what they are talking about...

OP, good on you for recognizing something that may not be obvious to a novice farang. This could be a good topic if the idiots stay away. The problem with farangs in Thailand is that they get most of their intel from other farangs. And other farangs almost always only know Thai women who are in the "farang scene." Which is to say mostly BGs or serial farang-hunters (mostly prowling on dating sites and farang hang-outs).

Normal Thai girls, e.g., the sort of Thai girls most farangs would want to meet, prefer to speak Thai and do not think that farangs walk on water. They just want a normal relationship with someone they can connect with and talk to. It's really that simple. So if you can't speak Thai, you're relegated to the "farang scene" sort of Thai girl, which sucks.

I've been in Thailand a long time and I have long figured out that most Thai girls prefer a Thai guy about their age. I accept that. But there are plenty of Thai women who, by circumstance, are looking for foreigners. For example, single mothers. Just the other day, I advised a close friend that a single mother may be the best way to go. She'll be ready to settle and won't be "hard work," as the OP says. But if you want to compete with a Thai guy for a grade A hottie, a Thai guy who's got the culture and language advantage down pat, you've got no chance. Sorry, but that's reality.

Exactly! And when you think about it, that same sentiment is probably not all that different from many other countries?

• Like 2

Depends on the context doesn't it?

Out and about in public, or with those I'm most intimate with, no problem.

And for myself, those are the only situations where it's used to address me in person and I know enough to understand it's not meant disrespectfully. Not that I think I'm all that "deserving of respect" just because I'm white.

So you let close friends refer to you as, or call you 'farang''?

Unbelievable!

What, they don't know your name? And your last sentence shows you have some issues. If they're close friends, the respect should be mutual.

Any Thai I know or work with who refers to me as 'farang' gets schooled real quick.

• Like 2

You didn't notice that unless you speak thai, the conversation doesn't go much beyond where to eat your next meal, did you?

Thai at Heart, I respect your personal observation, but you can never generalize.

There are many couples in Thailand that can have proper conversations and discuss anything and everything.

Thai don't really want farang to (understand) speak Thai; I experienced some who were rather embarassed when they found out that I understood what they are talking about...

I had an amusing experience several months back with respect to picking up something said by a Thai. Sitting in a busy golf club bar mid afternoon waiting on some friends. 4 older Swedish women at the table next to me ordered 4 small bottles of beer. The waitress returned with 3 and after they explained they wanted 4 she shouted over to the bar (and please excuse my poor spelling) words to the effect qart lek ee heow, heow loosely translating to old and wrinkly I didn't say anything at the time but approached the waitress at the bar when she was with a colleague and told her I'd understood what she had said. Her colleague was in fits of laughter but she was mortified, I presume by the loss of face. Hopefully she will have learned from her experience.

AFter living here a couple of decades, I've kinda forgotten what it was like in the West but I disagree that Thai women are more friendly and outgoing.

There are more Thai women who are desperately trying to escape poverty - so they are an easy pick up and a hundred times more subservient than Western ones.

Couple of decades in Thailand and You still haven't marry one! Or is it that mine's not desperate!?

Well if they are talking about you being a little short in the "love department" it would be better to ignore it and pretend not to understand

Well my Mrs is fluent in English, Spanish and Thai while I am fluent in only English, can jumble a bit of Thai together if hard pressed, and like tapas.

Works for us.

Thais look good, have good food, and give good massages but once you've met a sweet Filipina, very hard to consider any other nationality, in my opinion. They win hands down in taking care of the man.

was married to Filipina for 13 years till she became Westernised....

So let's review: you left a wonderful relationship in the western world in seach of something easier and, of course, better and it's not working out.

My thought is that there is no geographical solution to not having "game" - so long as you think of it as game.

• Like 1

I've been in Thailand a long time and I have long figured out that most Thai girls prefer a Thai guy about their age. I accept that. But there are plenty of Thai women who, by circumstance, are looking for foreigners. For example, single mothers. Just the other day, I advised a close friend that a single mother may be the best way to go. She'll be ready to settle and won't be "hard work," as the OP says. But if you want to compete with a Thai guy for a grade A hottie, a Thai guy who's got the culture and language advantage down pat, you've got no chance. Sorry, but that's reality.

I worked that out by my second trip - absolutely no requirement to spend years in the country, just go to a Thai venue outside the usual Farang haunts. It's a bit like telling us that hot 20-somethings in Oz are looking for guys with washboard abs, a BMW and a 6-figure salaries : it's only a discussion here because some of us are sufficiently deluded to believe that nature is somehow turned upside down in Thailand.

Where it IS different, IMO, is with women over 30, but apparently this is a discussion about 'grade A hotties' so I wont go there.

It's good that you "get it," but I can assure you that a lot of farang guys don't. I've got men visitors from America all the time and they're constantly smitten with the belief that "Thai girls love us!" Of course, they come to this conclusion after spending most of their time in girlie bars. I've met many farang guys who think that every single Thai girl wants to be with a farang. I would imagine you know guys like this.

But you do have a point about women over 30 (or 40, whatever that magical over-the-hill age is). Once a woman realizes that her due date is coming up quick, she's very open to different options.

• Like 1

All I can say after 14 year,s in Thailand and 10 year;s with the same woman is if a thai woman love's you she will do anything to make you happy , just don't disrespect her or her family and be patient until you understand the culture , then consider yourself lucky .

The culture is simple. Farang money and Thai tradition. hahahaha. I hope my wife does not read this. She makes the money so I better be nice. I would never find a woman like her in the West.

Works for us.

Thais look good, have good food, and give good massages but once you've met a sweet Filipina, very hard to consider any other nationality, in my opinion. They win hands down in taking care of the man.

was married to Filipina for 13 years till she became Westernised....

"Westernised" does that mean she got bored with you??

I really don't get this thread! Whoever said Thai girls are friendly and outgoing? Whoever said that American/European girls are friendly and outgoing? And what about men? It is difficult enough, anywhere, to establish and build and maintain a strong relationship. People from all parts of European/Japanese/American/Chinese life have different mind sets and cultural norms. Much tosh is written about ..you meet a girl and have to look after their family. Everyone in my family looks after each other; one slightly odd, but not constant, difference is that in Europe and America parents have assets that children do not have, where in Asia children often have an education and an income that enables them to help their relatives. People are people. Thai girls and men as much as anyone else have dreams and aspirations, responsibilities and insecurities. Apart from the different 'culture' anyone who assumes a 'Thai Girl' is in anyway different from a foreign one is daft.( In any culture it does help to speak the language; but that is not a guarantee of anything! How many people from, say the UK, understand Americans, and vice versa? Seems to me OP was handed down a load of codswallop which he swallowed. Oh and prostitutes are prostitutes in every country; just their job, their choice, trying to make ends meet.

• Like 1

I worked that out by my second trip - absolutely no requirement to spend years in the country, just go to a Thai venue outside the usual Farang haunts. It's a bit like telling us that hot 20-somethings in Oz are looking for guys with washboard abs, a BMW and a 6-figure salaries : it's only a discussion here because some of us are sufficiently deluded to believe that nature is somehow turned upside down in Thailand.

Where it IS different, IMO, is with women over 30, but apparently this is a discussion about 'grade A hotties' so I wont go there.

It's good that you "get it," but I can assure you that a lot of farang guys don't. I've got men visitors from America all the time and they're constantly smitten with the belief that "Thai girls love us!" Of course, they come to this conclusion after spending most of their time in girlie bars. I've met many farang guys who think that every single Thai girl wants to be with a farang. I would imagine you know guys like this.

But you do have a point about women over 30 (or 40, whatever that magical over-the-hill age is). Once a woman realizes that her due date is coming up quick, she's very open to different options.

And by then

it is usually, too late for them.

their ship left the port

• Like 1

This assumed your missus speaks passable English. When I first arrived in thailand, a while ago, in the place I was, there was one girl who spoke English passably, and she learnt it in a coastal resort swinging her thing.

It was learn thai, or satay aloan. I would recommend it. It broadens the selection pool rather massively and I wouldn't have met my wife of 13 years without it. That said, she also talks about her next meal, straight after eating, occasionally.

Good point - I wouldn't have met my wife of 13 years too if I hadn't learned Thai

I wouldn't have met my wife of 43 too if she hadn't learned English. But congrats to your teenager.