Smoking on Nok Air

Sirius1935

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sighting air regulations again. Its a terrorist proof sealed enviroment. How much smoke can escape?

We are in Thaliand. Get over it.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

With a completely separate air-exchange system? Get real!

Sighting air regulations again. Its a terrorist proof sealed enviroment. How much smoke can escape?

Yes.

Yermanee

post-109269-0-88052200-1397131122_thumb.

Yes.

Yermanee

attachicon.gifairfilters.jpg

On all commercial aircraft? If so, I do stand corrected, and thank you for getting real. wai.gif

Yes.

Yermanee

On all commercial aircraft? If so, I do stand corrected, and thank you for getting real. wai.gif

So you may be wrong? What would be the point of a terrorist safe cockpit if they could be smoked out?

Yes.

Yermanee

So you may be wrong? What would be the point of a terrorist safe cockpit if they could be smoked out?

Well you don't have to gloat about it Baneko, of course I may be wrong, and admitted so.

However, do think all commercial aircraft have these "terrorist proof" cockpits, even these little puddle-jumpers that Nok operates?

Being that this was a breach of regulations from a person whose job is controlled and dictated by regulations and policy, that are in place to ensure his safe passage, I guess that makes him a concerned party and, therefore, an informant.

This argument has been focused on the smoking aspect that has allowed it to be dragged into a smoking debate. The OP, unfortunately, started on that track without either seeing or understanding the bigger picture. Anybody who believes this isn't serious has obviously forgotten what happens to lives when a pilot starts making decisions to deviate from professionalism.

On a personal level I stopped smoking nearly 12 years ago. I do not evangelise this but do enjoy the freedom to decide not to share a smoker's smoke. Unfortunately in a closed environment that is not possible so it is fair to ensure that people do not smoke at all. I do not go into the smokers area at the airport and open up my 2.5 year old's used nappies....nor would you want me to...even though it has discernibly less ill effect than smoking.

However this really shouldn't be about the smoking and the concern for safety regulations in planes should be paramount for every person boarding a plane...particularly the pilot. Even if you felt this was "overacting" you can see, by the announcement that an un-ticketed passenger boarded one of their planes, that this is indicative of the poor enforcement of vital policies by this airline.

Well reasoned post, however with a few flaws.

There is no FAA regulation regarding smoking in the cockpit, there may be an internal rule by Nok Air that regulates this but nor you nor I know this for sure.

So OP states that the pilot broke the law, which he didn't because there is no such law

He then threatens to inform all the instances mentioned about the pilots behavior. That in my book is snitching.

Anyway I do wonder whatever happened to tolerance.

Yermanee wai.gif

Yep no universal law about it. EU-Ops forbids it unless the cockpit is designated a smoking area (which is pretty unlikely) - or allowed in the Ops Manual and not on the ground - etc. Some countries have also made local laws - Turkey is one, so is India (under DGCA), neither enforce it very well!

I think it will be outlawed internationally soon - at least forced by insurance companies and work place law (country specific) and airline maintenance contracts.

Well you don't have to gloat about it Baneko, of course I may be wrong, and admitted so.

However, do think all commercial aircraft have these "terrorist proof" cockpits, even these little puddle-jumpers that Nok operates?

Possibly you're not a native speaker. Hence "I do stand corrected" = "I was wrong." They are really the same. Believe me.

Possibly you're not a native speaker. Hence "I do stand corrected" = "I was wrong." They are really the same. Believe me.

Naitive of where?

Smoking in a cockpit is a serious breach of security in my opinion. If I saw that I wouldn't fly with that Airline any more, ever again. It's like going to a restaurant and you would spot the chef smoking whilst cutting fresh meat. Would you still go to this restaurant??

That's rich, given the harm caused by eating meat...to the person eating it, nover mind the brutality and cruelty inflicted on the animals so you can eat the "fresh meat." *SELFISH*

Are there any airlines in Thailand - or S.E.Asia generally - that allow passengers to smoke, or to "vape"? smile.png ...i would happily pay more.

I am sure that would be successful.

When we were still able to smoke on board, I once got sat next to a Saudi who chain smoked the entire way to wherever we were going, I think it was Cairo. He was a real machine. Couldn't imagine a plane of just smokers, might be like a Cheech and Chong movie.

• Like 1

Yes.

Yermanee

"I do stand stand corrected" = admittance to being wrong.

No need to gloat.

However, one question lingers-- do you suppose every little domestic "puddle-jumper" aircraft has a terrorist-proof cockpit with such an independent system?

post-108400-13974779458394_thumb.jpg

Seems to me that Thai Visa is becoming like a Thai soap opera. Bunch of girls standing around hurling abuse and slapping each other around the face.

This and another couple of threads.

Nomex suit on...CO2 at the ready.......

Seems to me that Thai Visa is becoming like a Thai soap opera. Bunch of girls standing around hurling abuse and slapping each other around the face.

This and another couple of threads.

Nomex suit on...CO2 at the ready.......

TV is a much better place if you make diligent use of the ignore filter. Shame it's not easier to do.

Can't believe that anyone would defend a Captain who flouts aviation regulations.

I would not be surprised at all the main reason smoking on planes is not allowed is because of working regulations, employers are required to offer their employees, like flight attendents, a smoke free workplace.

Safety is in this case probably only a side issue, maybe even a side excuse.

A smoking captain would for me not be a reason not to board a plane, a drinking captain though would be.

The main reason that airlines do not allow smoking anymore is because the air filters used in aircraft are very expensive and by not allowing smoking airlines save a lot of money because the filters last a lot longer. Nothing to do with safety, working regulations etc., it's all about the money like everything else.

Yermanee wai.gif

Thank God!

My lungs are more expensive to me than any aircraft itself.

• Like 1

Are there any airlines in Thailand - or S.E.Asia generally - that allow passengers to smoke, or to "vape"? smile.png ...i would happily pay more.

When we were still able to smoke on board, I once got sat next to a Saudi who chain smoked the entire way to wherever we were going, I think it was Cairo. He was a real machine. Couldn't imagine a plane of just smokers, might be like a Cheech and Chong movie.

You might be interested in this study commissioned by US Congress and submitted by the US Dept of Transportation on airline cabin environment, specifically of smoking on flights. It's another of those studies which didn't actually come up with the results that the health zealots wanted, so was buried out of sight (and out of mind). But assiduous researcher that I am, I managed to dig it up, albeit a PDF of scanned papers.

The first link is a summary done by Forces, the American smokers' rights organisation, and the second link is the actual, original report. The original is some 367 pages long, but makes for some interesting reading if you have the time. However, the summary in the first link gives you most of the salient points.

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/ghc37d00/pdf;jsessionid=93668D62E226A92CA122B7A697569C6A.tobacco03

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/qwr31d00/pdf

I think we have an "AGE THING". here. Intolerant Pups. V.Tolerant Old Men.You cant condem Your Fellow Mans weakness, no more than I can condem Pups for never been scared Shitless under Fire,or ever left Moms Tit or Uni. Quite Frankly that makes me more Sick than Stale Smoke. Does the Fact I don't Smoke upset a Few.?. Yes but not My Age Group.

• Like 1

<snip>

As much as I hate cigarettes, not sure how smoking pilots in the cockpit smell can get to the passenger cabin.

I can think of at least one regularly occurring example of how smoke can get out a 'sealed' cockpit (assuming it does happen to be sealed)

If either pilot comes out to use the toilet, or the cabin crew take in a coffee/snack/whatever, then you're going to smell it if you're anywhere in the front half of the aircraft. A 737 ain't a big space.

• Like 1

You might be interested in this study commissioned by US Congress and submitted by the US Dept of Transportation on airline cabin environment, specifically of smoking on flights. It's another of those studies which didn't actually come up with the results that the health zealots wanted, so was buried out of sight (and out of mind). But assiduous researcher that I am, I managed to dig it up, albeit a PDF of scanned papers.

The first link is a summary done by Forces, the American smokers' rights organisation, and the second link is the actual, original report. The original is some 367 pages long, but makes for some interesting reading if you have the time. However, the summary in the first link gives you most of the salient points.

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/ghc37d00/pdf;jsessionid=93668D62E226A92CA122B7A697569C6A.tobacco03

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/qwr31d00/pdf

Thanks, but no need. My support of no smoking on airlines has nothing to do with health factors, or lack thereof.

It's simply that cigarette smoke and the remnants of it, stinks to high hell and is impolite to others in close, confined areas.

Plus the tobacco industry is so wealthy, is so willing to use its resources to buy influence and so absolutely amoral that any report putting them in a positive light in any way can barely be trusted to be neutral.

• Like 1

Plus the tobacco industry is so wealthy, is so willing to use its resources to buy influence and so absolutely amoral that any report putting them in a positive light in any way can barely be trusted to be neutral.

Maybe, but the same can be said about all the reports that are instigated by governments that have been using the anti-smoking propaganda (often without any real scientific proof) as a lightning rod to be seen as having a real interest in the general health of the population.

Anyway few have ever commented on the fact that smoking is on the rise again especially in Asia (not that it's a good thing).

Few comment on the fact that in the western world obesity is far more draining on government resources than smoking ever was.

Very few comment on the fact that since the anti-smoking propaganda was instigated drug abuse by youngsters has skyrocketed ( I would rather have my kids smoking tobacco)

Smoking is indeed an unhealthy habit but its effects have been largely exagerated.

End of rant

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

I love people smoking on Planes. It is so 70's...and exotic...

No non smoker should ever have to breath up other peoples smoke, if smoking was allowed on planes, how many smokers would light up? I think 100% of them which would prove that smokers are the most selfish people on earth. I do not object to smokers if they confine it to outside or in their own homes. Now take cover Possum, the flak is coming.

• Like 2

Well i must admit, after reading this thread i am certainly less likely to make my next trip on Nok air.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Go with Thai and it will cost you 2000 baht more. Then again you wont smell smoke from a terrorist proof cockpit.

Then youll walk into a restaraunt with many people smoking and accept it.

I won't accept people smoking in a restaurant, I will just start picking my nose in front of them.

• Like 1

I am a flight attendant who quit smoking 2 years ago and I wanted share my experience in this matter with you, the people who are so concerned about the safety regulations in aviation.

In the first place, I have news for you, in aviation, rules are being constantly broken because there are just so many rules and so many people involved in the daily operations ( think airport staff, catering, security, ATC, pilots and cabin crew each one with there set of rules) that if we would all to follow these rules to the letter I bet more than 80% of the flights would suffer big delays or even worse, being canceled. Think that just a food cart that is not braking could mean an hour or more of delay...

I can guarantee that every pilot from every single airline in the world is braking at least a few rule every flight so do the ATC guys and so do we the flight attendants, it's just the way it is, we all know it, the companies we work for know it and condone with this practices because saves time and money

Also if I remember correctly from my basic training almost 10 years ago IATA only gives guidelines not rules so it is up to every country aviation authority to apply or disregard the IATA guidelines therefor writing to IATA will don't help with anything

Also smoking in flight deck and not only there is very common in most airlines, not trying to defend the pilots but that's the way it is

To end I would like to know how many of you guys never broken rules at work an what good will do to the op if he makes the complain and the guy will loose his job? Also the op has never brake any rules? How would he or he like if someone else would do this to him?

I will add I never worked or even travel with Nok Air, but I wouldn't rush to judge an airline for an incident like this as there are major companies in Europe that ask you 10 times more money than Nok Air for a ticket and the pilots smoke in the flight deck as well but you just don't know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think common sense is more important than rules and regulations. If I don't agree with any, I just don't obey them, but common sense tells me that people are entitled to clean fresh air.

• Like 1

I think common sense is more important than rules and regulations. If I don't agree with any, I just don't obey them, but common sense tells me that people are entitled to clean fresh air.

And common sense tells me that when a pilot smokes in the cockpit the air in the cabin stays clean and fresh (as much as possible anyway).