Mt Biking

Any Mt Bikers on the island? In coming for the month of April with bike and would love to ride the local's tracks. Looking idealy for cross country single track but enjoy some downhill and quiet dirt roads as well. Any suggestions of where I can find some good rides?

Also bring three boys (9, 9 &. 10 yr) and their bikes too if anybody know any places that might be nice to ride with them. Don't know where we are staying yet but have a van with bike rack and don't mind driving to get somewhere if nec.

Thanks in advance!

I used to see loads of kids on mountain bikes heading up the top of the road opposite Blue Diamond Lodge at the Banrak end of the ghost road. It was a few years ago I lived there but a good place to start and keeps them off the main roads too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes that mountain has heaps of trails which the locals ride. Other points of access are at the very back of Big C shopping centre, facing the jungle on the right hand side there is a small entry point. Or go to the beach road connecting Fishermans Village to Ban Rak, you will see a wide concrete road going up the mountain, lots of trails off that.

that is 1 (one) very small hill, not over 100 meters high, and the locals ride their mountain bikes there on 2 or 3 very short trails in circles and on that main concrete road ~100m up and down. You certainly can't call that ideally for cross country single track

• Like 1

AFAIK there aren't any specific cross country mountain back tracks on any island. Here on Samui, I love to walk in the hilly interior of the island and I/we are almost all the time alone there on small paths in the middle of nature.

There are some popular waterfalls, with walking trails for tourists, the Menam to Lamai road, which is more broken than usable, and some paths with the safari tour vehicles to Magic Garden and so.

But even on the way to the second rated sightseeing places, like the Overlap Stone, you are alone and apart from that there aren't even any specific paths for walking. Many trails end up nowhere and you have to turm back, can get lost very easily. But good thing is, that Samui is an island, so somehow you will come to the Ring Road sooner or later.

that is 1 (one) very small hill, not over 100 meters high, and the locals ride their mountain bikes there on 2 or 3 very short trails in circles and on that main concrete road ~100m up and down. You certainly can't call that ideally for cross country single track

Yeah, you are right, agree, its probaly more kind of a place for exercise. I think I didnt understand the question detailed/properly enough, sorry, no native english speaker ;)

Maybe its at least a good place to meet people interested in the same stuff. :)

AFAIK there aren't any specific cross country mountain back tracks on any island. Here on Samui, I love to walk in the hilly interior of the island and I/we are almost all the time alone there on small paths in the middle of nature.

There are some popular waterfalls, with walking trails for tourists, the Menam to Lamai road, which is more broken than usable, and some paths with the safari tour vehicles to Magic Garden and so.

But even on the way to the second rated sightseeing places, like the Overlap Stone, you are alone and apart from that there aren't even any specific paths for walking. Many trails end up nowhere and you have to turm back, can get lost very easily. But good thing is, that Samui is an island, so somehow you will come to the Ring Road sooner or later.

Unfortunately afaik no good maps of the interior of the island. There is plenty to discover.

Better stay out of the way of the safari tour vehicles.

Thanks all, I don't expect great tracks like I find in Chiang Mai where I live, but sure I'll enjoy just tooling around and exploring, it is a vacation after all. Anybody who'd like to go for a social ride please get in touch.

Hi Junglechef, the track near Lae Lae in Bangrak is more than 100m long now. It was extended a few years ago to host a mountain bike race that attracted quite a few people from off the island. 2 years ago they extended it further and you can enter form the Bandon soi between the hospital and the international school. These trails link up across to Bangrak and through to Big C as someone else mentioned. There are 3 different levels of trail (nothing like flowy stuff really but decent) that you can follow markers for. My 11 year ole has ridden quite a few of them and you can spend a good few hours messing around trying different trails and linking up different sections to your liking and level of riding.

Definitely worth a pedal around if you want trail riding.

Edited by rdog
  • Like 1