40,000 Baht Income Denied at Major Hollywood

Actually the minimum salery for farang was changed a couple of years ago to be 50k.

I just extended my Non "O" and it is a lot of paperwork before immigration accept your income :-(

(but only difficult the first time:-)

Ps Most immigration officers still think it is 40K :-)

Edited by Muggi1968

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just transfer from overseas your 400, keep proof that funds brought into country (in case ever wanna take it out again), get a certified slip

from the Thai Bank Manager the morning going to renew, toddle off down there,wait, keep calm, be pleasant & it will all happen.

You cannot use things like shares or life insurance policys (only an annuity if already getting each month) so & if again certified by your embassy

Good Luck

Actually the minimum salery for farang was changed a couple of years ago to be 50k.

I just extended my Non "O" and it is a lot of paperwork before immigration accept your income :-(

The 50k salary requirement is for getting extensions of stay based upon working.under clause 2.1 of the police order. That has been the same for about 10 years now.

You did not extend you non-o you extended your permit to stay,

• Like 1

Hot off the immigrtion website http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

Answer : Alien having Thai wife could stay in Thailand under the reason of staying with his Thai wife. The requirements and documentations are as follows;

• Foreign husband must obtain “Non-Immigrant visa”
  • Having any proof of relationship; Mariage Certificate,Birth certificate of their children(if any) etc.
  • Having evidences of nationality of his Thai wife; Thai ID card, her household registration Book.
  • Having relationship with Thai wife de jure and de facto; Family picture, map of the applicant’s residence in Thailand.
  • Having evidences of definite financial status of foreign husband by showing average income not less than 40,000 Baht per month or having money in the Thai Bank account of not less than 400,000 Baht which must be held consecutively not shorter than two months.

Documents supporting financial status of foreign husband as mentioned
above are as follows:
For foreign husband working in Thailand

• Work Permit
  • Letter from his employer verified employment and salary in details.(monthly salary must not be less than 40,000 Baht)
  • Evidences of payment of annual income tax with receipt (Por Ngor Dor 1 of latest three months and Por Ngor Dor 91 of the previous year)
    OR
    5.2 In case of having money in the bank account (Fix/Saving Deposit) of any bank in Thailand
    - The updated bank passbook on the date of application submission showing his account of not less than 400,000 Baht which has been deposited and consecutively held of such amount for 2 months
    - Letter from the bank certified that account.
    OR
    5.3 In case of foreign husband having any other income (not working in Thailand) such as pension,social welfare etc.
    -
    Letter from the applicant’s Embassy consulate in Bangkok verified his monthly pension or other income not less than 40,000 Baht per month
    An affidavit confirming the alien’s status with a Thai national
  • Like 1

The 50k salary requirement is for getting extensions of stay based upon working.under clause 2.1 of the police order. That has been the same for about 10 years now.

You did not extend you non-o you extended your permit to stay,

According to immigration in Bkk, I get an extention of my Non"o" based on marriage, but call it what you want. :-)

• Like 1

Hot off the immigrtion website http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

Answer : Alien having Thai wife could stay in Thailand under the reason of staying with his Thai wife. The requirements and documentations are as follows;

• Foreign husband must obtain “Non-Immigrant visa”
  • Having any proof of relationship; Mariage Certificate,Birth certificate of their children(if any) etc.
  • Having evidences of nationality of his Thai wife; Thai ID card, her household registration Book.
  • Having relationship with Thai wife de jure and de facto; Family picture, map of the applicant’s residence in Thailand.
  • Having evidences of definite financial status of foreign husband by showing average income not less than 40,000 Baht per month or having money in the Thai Bank account of not less than 400,000 Baht which must be held consecutively not shorter than two months.

Documents supporting financial status of foreign husband as mentioned

above are as follows:

For foreign husband working in Thailand

• Work Permit
  • Letter from his employer verified employment and salary in details.(monthly salary must not be less than 40,000 Baht)
  • Evidences of payment of annual income tax with receipt (Por Ngor Dor 1 of latest three months and Por Ngor Dor 91 of the previous year)

OR

5.2 In case of having money in the bank account (Fix/Saving Deposit) of any bank in Thailand

- The updated bank passbook on the date of application submission showing his account of not less than 400,000 Baht which has been deposited and consecutively held of such amount for 2 months

- Letter from the bank certified that account.

OR

5.3 In case of foreign husband having any other income (not working in Thailand) such as pension,social welfare etc.

- Letter from the applicant’s Embassy consulate in Bangkok verified his monthly pension or other income not less than 40,000 Baht per month

An affidavit confirming the alien’s status with a Thai national

I also had to sent in company registration papers signed by my accountant and also document that my company actually have an income.

Beside that immigration was most help full :-)

unfortunately there is a lot of abuse of the 40k requirement. Because the US embassy only reqires an affadavit. They do not check that the applicant actually does have 40k income. Also anyone with a bit of computer knowledge can make up a fancy letterhead with a Bank name or investment company or broker showing any income. And most embassies will not check it and issue a letter. I think that Immigration are wise to this. But if you do receive a government pension you can show the details to immigration as well as the embassy letter you should have no problem.......

unfortunately there is a lot of abuse of the 40k requirement. Because the US embassy only reqires an affadavit. They do not check that the applicant actually does have over 40k baht income. Also anyone with a bit of computer knowledge can make up a fancy letterhead with a Bank name or investment company or broker showing any income. And most embassies will not check it and issue a letter. I think that Immigration are wise to this. But if you do receive a government pension you can show the details to immigration as well as the embassy letter you should have no problem.......

I do mine based upon income and have the best back up proof to my affidavit there is. I have a Thai bank book that shows that I have over 40k baht coming into my account every month.

There has been no official change. That would require a change of the police order and that has not happened.

In my opinion I would think that immigration would prefer seeing an income rather than 400k baht sitting in the bank and a person possibly scraping by on a very small income every month.

Immigration officers are free to accept or decline who or what they please.

I had a 12 month extension (already stamped) scribbled out and reduced to 6 months because I was very nice, smiley and happy. A senior walked by and noticed this, called me over, looked at the 12 month extension stamp, then just said, no, I only give you 6 months. Come back in 6 months and see me.

What did you have as proof of income? I suspect that was the problem more so than not being able to use the income method. A bit more info would be useful so we can make suggestions.

There has been no change to the rules it is still 400k baht in the bank or 40k baht income proven by a letter from your embassy or if working tax payments to prove income and your work permit.

To register my marriage, I had to sign an affidavit at the US Embassy stating that I am not legally married to anyone in my home country, and the amount of my monthly income. Is this document the same proof I will use when applying for an extension (ie., to demonstrate the 40k baht monthly income)?

Thanks

No ti is not the same document. You will need to get a income affidavit from the embassy. Affidavit form here that you can fill out and print online: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

Thanks, Joe. Can you clarify ...

1. is there any further income proof required when applying for the extension

2. is there any supporting documentation I should bring with me when processing the affidavit at the US Embassy?

@ UT IO change this year: Bank statement @ updated bankbook same day as apply for extension, do NOT withdrawn any money which goes below 400,000k during BKK approval check. How in hell can you live here so many years, my reply I’m not same as Thai – old money. Education certificate requried – Master of any Marine Merchant Vessel – any gross – World Wide.

What did you have as proof of income? I suspect that was the problem more so than not being able to use the income method. A bit more info would be useful so we can make suggestions.

There has been no change to the rules it is still 400k baht in the bank or 40k baht income proven by a letter from your embassy or if working tax payments to prove income and your work permit.

To register my marriage, I had to sign an affidavit at the US Embassy stating that I am not legally married to anyone in my home country, and the amount of my monthly income. Is this document the same proof I will use when applying for an extension (ie., to demonstrate the 40k baht monthly income)?

Thanks

No ti is not the same document. You will need to get a income affidavit from the embassy. Affidavit form here that you can fill out and print online: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

2. is there any supporting documentation I should bring with me when processing the affidavit at the US Embassy?

1. Most immigration offices do not ask for back up for the income affidavit. If they do want it then a Thai bank book showing money coming in or if on SS then your statement would be enough.

2. The embassy asks for nothing because you swear an oath before the consular officer that what you put on the affidavit is correct,

I have a similar problem.

I got a one year marriage visa from a Thai embassy.

I flew back in to Thailand and once my 3 month stamp was up I went to immigration to check in and get another 3 month stamp.

Immigration in the country rejected me, asking for me to prove 400,000 baht every 3 months when I check in, I already proved it to get the one year visa in the first place!

It's totally bs I had a bit under 400,000 so they wouldn't accept me, I showed them my Bangkok bank statements which are double 40,000 baht a month and I've had this account for 3 years.

It's up to the officer, I'm sure he doesn't like me.

I spend more than 1 million baht a year in this country

I'm thinking about bringing a lawyer with me.

Any ideas?

Edited by Makai128

I flew back in to Thailand and once my 3 month stamp was up I went to immigration to check in and get another 3 month stamp.

Immigration in the country rejected me, asking for me to prove 400,000 baht every 3 months when I check in, I already proved it to get the one year visa in the first place!

It's totally bs I had a bit under 400,000 so they wouldn't accept me, I showed them my Bangkok bank statements which are double 40,000 baht a month and I've had this account for 3 years.

Any ideas?

Yes.

If you qualify you do not need a lawyer.

Your post does not make much sense to be honest.

You need 400,000 Baht in the bank to get a 12 month extension.

If you do not have it you will not get an extension.

If you are applying based on 40,000 Baht monthly income you need a letter from your Embassy or tax receipts if income is earned in Thailand.

If you do not have it you will not get the extension.

• Like 1

Any ideas?

You cannot get a one year visa at an embassy based upon marriage that allows you to stay for year. You can get a multiple entry non-o visa that gived you 90 day entries for a one year. You cannot get another 90 days at immigration you have leave the country and re-enter to get a new 90 day entry.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of any 90 day entry form your visa. To qualify you must have 400k baht in a Thai bank for 60 day or 40k baht income proven by a letter from your embassy or if working here tax payments to prove the income and a work permit.

Thanks

1. Most immigration offices do not ask for back up for the income affidavit. If they do want it then a Thai bank book showing money coming in or if on SS then your statement would be enough.

2. The embassy asks for nothing because you swear an oath before the consular officer that what you put on the affidavit is correct,

Incorrect.

It may be the case with some embassies, but obviously not all. I had to show my proof of funds (bank books and statements were enough) to get my affidavit.

Incorrect.

It may be the case with some embassies, but obviously not all. I had to show my proof of funds (bank books and statements were enough) to get my affidavit.

It is correct for the embassy mentioned in the discussion. As you said some embassy do ask for proof. .

Hi Guys 'n Girls, I am a new member to the forum, but having been reading for as long while, and felt I had to reply so joined up out of frustration that no-one seems to get the picture. If you read carefully through the actual Immigration Laws or website documentation requirements, regarding extensions etc, you'll note there is a small clause that allows any officer to request further information or other satisfying terms, i.e giving every officer the ability the control of the application when presented. I believe this was included to allow for any subtle changes in procedures whenever they see fit and still operate within the Law.

I've been living here for over 20yrs and have seen many changes over the course of time, most of it now seems geared towards having people actually bonefide to being able to live here. I too have been getting my extensions on a 40k per month plus statement from the embassy as proof for the last few years, but was told that on my visit last year, that I had to show money in the bank as well for next year. This isn't new. Now, I know everyone gets frustrated through the LOS to make people jump through hoops, but I'm sure it's not the only reason. In defense of LOS, I would say a lot of people get it easy to be able to live here on a long term basis by only getting tourist visas back to back, and they've tried to get things back to some kind of order, however well it goes over or not. I am well aware that other countries offer much better visa lengths of time etc, but we cannot forget, this is Asia, not the West. They have been here for thousands of years going through a lot of commotions over the time to develop their own identity and this includes a sense of extreme national pride which is endemic in their laws allowing others into THEIR country. So, I say, put up and shut up. I have the cash to show the meager 400k in the bank, and happy to go along with the flow. All is not as it seems!

well for your first post I thought it hit the mark, I am really surprised at the number of poster's who claim they have been hear a number of years, and still do not know anything about visa's or extensions, nor what is stamped in there passport, I am sorry but I don't have time for people like that, whining on a public forum, as you have stated its THEIR COUNTRY PUT UP OR SHUT UP. Very good post Tbone999 Edited by MikeandDow

Thanks

I said "Hey Joe, where do you go with that gun in your hand"?-laugh.png

• Like 1

Although unrelated to this but seemingly in the same vein I am about to apply for a renewal of my Retirement Visa based on the 65,000 baht a month criteria proved by a Statement signed by the Australian Embassy (and a letter from my pensions fund if necessary, but which I've never had to show in the 6 years I've been doing this).

I bring in money as I need it and do spend a lot on Australian bank credit cards but I never have anything near 800,000 baht in my Thai bank account. I will have the bank letter and bank book.

I know the procedure and documents backwards but I would be grateful for any updates as I will have only 2 days to get things sorted before leaving for an extended stay overseas (on a new passport! - oh yes, it's all happening!)

Has anyone had any problems renewing their visa in this way at the temporary Immigration posts in Bangkok?

Thanks.

• Like 1

I saw a thread earlier today and wondered whether I was really on the Thai Visa Forum. The thread was polite, useful, had good and humorous feedback and had me in stitches (of laughter). I thought great!!

But on this thread I note that the pedantic brigade is out again. So I am breaking one of my long held rules and posting.

Visa/permission to remain/extension of stay.

Some might say a visa is:

an endorsement made by an authorized representative of one country upon a passport issued by another, permitting the passport holder entry into or transit through the country making the endorsement

Some might say it is:

An endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country

And the thing is that whether it be a

Visa/permission to remain/extension of stay

they can all be basically covered by the second of the above definitions (courtesy of the oxforddictionaries.com website).

Different native English speaking countries use different terms to describe the same thing in the visa/immigration field. Thailand is not a native English speaking country so being pedantic about the Englis language terms they use is a bit much, or one might say look around you every day. It is clear what the original poster was referring to so why do people always have to effectively say the poster does not know what he is talking about because he does not even what he applied for is called!!

Please give it a rest!!

I do not have a marriage "whatever one may care to call it"; have never personally had any problems when dealing with Thai Immigration but have observed others experiencing most of the problems that have been raised on this forum. In making this comment I have disregarded all those observed encounters where it might reasonably have ben said that the clients have invited their own problems.

• Like 2

Coincidence .... I did my annual renewal at Chiangmai immigration today (Thursday) .... I went the Baht 400,000 route ... this is my 12th time to do this ...

I specifically asked about the regular pension option (for future consideration) and they confirmed that the Baht 40,000 was what was required for a "Thai Spouse" Non Imm O VISA extension ....

• Like 1

Although unrelated to this but seemingly in the same vein I am about to apply for a renewal of my Retirement Visa based on the 65,000 baht a month criteria proved by a Statement signed by the Australian Embassy (and a letter from my pensions fund if necessary, but which I've never had to show in the 6 years I've been doing this).

I bring in money as I need it and do spend a lot on Australian bank credit cards but I never have anything near 800,000 baht in my Thai bank account. I will have the bank letter and bank book.

I know the procedure and documents backwards but I would be grateful for any updates as I will have only 2 days to get things sorted before leaving for an extended stay overseas (on a new passport! - oh yes, it's all happening!)

Has anyone had any problems renewing their visa in this way at the temporary Immigration posts in Bangkok?

Thanks.

No problems for me except a very long queue. :-)

So I'm waiting to see if other members have encountered this new rule or did they fly by with the 40,000 income on the marriage extension, please report.

It is not a new rule. The police order has not been changed.

It may be a misunderstanding or some ill informed immigration officers.

You can be sure if anybody else had this experience we would have already had reports about it.

May be a misunderstanding on my part, but isn't this another report of exactly the same incident, yet at Changwattana.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/678339-marriage-visa-extension-denied-even-tough-i-met-all-requirements/

I am curious at this point, assuming I am correct in that the above link is a similar case, why do you guys refuse to acknowledge there have been other cases of this? Anyway, I have no dog in this fight at the moment, as I will simply be on my way to Laos soon, which is really fine with me.

I will just repeat and say I will not even try to solve this. I was just posting it as a report. The other thing I will repeat is this in no way was somehow my fault, she just simply was not accepting 40k baht salary as a valid option. I do have bad luck here, so I would accept it was somehow my fault in the way I behaved (by way of not smiling enough, or god knows what), but my paperwork evidence for 40k baht per month was there.

Edited by isawasnake

Mate... I believe you. Next time just ask one of these blokes on here that know everything that's happening all over Thailand.. Obviously the Immigration officials will recognise then straight away and mend there ways. Hope the sanger over the boarder goes down well.

"Hope the sanger (?) over the boarder (?) goes down well. "

The point is that people from all over Thailand do report their experiences on TV. If something is reported as happening by several people, then it seems more credible. In this case the O/P appears to be the only person who has reported this as happening ... and apparently it was in Bangkok where a lot of TV posters do report their experiences.

Obviously he's feeling emotional ("...they seemed to revel in the denial.") and is certain that he is right and there's no room for an error on his part. "Please don't make this my fault, it was definitely them who don't know their own job,"

And yet everyday many, many people deal with Immigrations without a problem.

"...people don't believe these stories when there are multiple reports of the same thing. My paperwork was not the problem, it was them."

So where are these multiple reports? If that's the case then more information would be useful for everyone.

If you go in to Immigrations prepared for frustrations, certain of your own infallibility and with a chip on your shoulder, then it's possible you may piss off the wrong person and ensure that you'll get the frustration you were looking for.

If some people, most people, who are able to submit documentary proof of Baht 40,000 a month without any problem and manage to get a new extension of stay, then claiming that " ...it was definitely them who don't know their own job, " isn't realistic.

He may indeed have been refused the extension, but the reason is almost certainly something other than the Immigrations officials not knowing the rules if they apply those rules for everyone else.

Kind of a repeat of the above post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/678339-marriage-visa-extension-denied-even-tough-i-met-all-requirements/

I am not sure why you guys think people are making this stuff up. I suppose some of the mods on here have to try to make sure false rumors don't abound, as nobody wants false information on here, but I am not making this up. I went out there, spent 400 baht on transport, and my thai wife (who i doubt pissed anybody off and who certainly did not have a "chip on her shoulder") was told 40k baht per month will not satisfy the requirement, and then I was told the same thing in English.

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse): Permission will be

granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship
(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto;
(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age;

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

You could always show them the rules in Thai:

RTP777_2551.pdf

• Like 1

So I'm waiting to see if other members have encountered this new rule or did they fly by with the 40,000 income on the marriage extension, please report.

It is not a new rule. The police order has not been changed.

It may be a misunderstanding or some ill informed immigration officers.

You can be sure if anybody else had this experience we would have already had reports about it.

May be a misunderstanding on my part, but isn't this another report of exactly the same incident, yet at Changwattana.

I will just repeat and say I will not even try to solve this. I was just posting it as a report. The other thing I will repeat is this in no way was somehow my fault, she just simply was not accepting 40k baht salary as a valid option. I do have bad luck here, so I would accept it was somehow my fault in the way I behaved (by way of not smiling enough, or god knows what), but my paperwork evidence for 40k baht per month was there.

That case was a little different because the member was using an income letter and it appears there was a question about it.

I could not give a good reason then as to why his was refused or why yours was other than an errant immigration officer.

As I said in that topic I would not just accept defeat and go for multiple entry visa and then have to make border runs every 90 days. There is a formal appeal process called out in the police order. If need be I would go through it if needed. Before doing it I would certainly of asked for a supervisor and moved up the chain of command at the office before leaving.

Also if I was close to the end of my current extension I would apply for a 60 day extension (to visit your wife) so I would have time to resolve the issue.

• Like 1