UK family visitor visa for Thai father

Hello! My daughter's dad (a Thai national), wants to come and visit my daughter (UK national) and is making the visa application soon. Please can you let me know what information I need to submit for his application?

A bit of background. During the pregnancy, I decided to return back home to have our daughter. I returned back to Thailand when she was 3 months old but couldn't cope and returned home. Subsequently our relationship has broken down as I want to stay permanently in the UK and he wants to stay in Thailand. We are still on good terms and he talks to our daughter on skype nearly everyday. We visited him in Thailand again when lo was 1 year old but I won't be able to return to Thailand for a while and he is desperate to see her.

He's a government official, so he has a job to return to and he has been granted two weeks off to come and visit.

What information/statement do I need to give to him for his application? He has copies of our daughter's passport and birth certificate. Do I need to scan her visa stamps for when we returned to Thailand to visit him? How much information do I need to give in my statement?

Thanks in advance and please be nice about Thai fathers ;)

Firstly, have a read of UK visit visa basics; then ask any follow up questions you may have.

He will need to explain in his application that you and he are separated and he just wants to visit his daughter, not remain in the UK with her and you.

Other than that, from what you have said I can't see a problem.

• Like 2

Firstly, have a read of UK visit visa basics; then ask any follow up questions you may have.

He will need to explain in his application that you and he are separated and he just wants to visit his daughter, not remain in the UK with her and you.

Other than that, from what you have said I can't see a problem.

Thanks 7by7. I think that I have given him all the right documents then. He's named on the birth certificate etc.

I've told him to apply for a family visitor visa, which I assume is correct? He's been told by someone else just to apply for a tourist visa because we aren't married?!

I've told him to apply for a family visitor visa, which I assume is correct? He's been told by someone else just to apply for a tourist visa because we aren't married?!

He eligible for a Family Visit Visa as he can prove he's visiting his child, but he could also apply for a general visit visa.

Since the right of appeal was removed from Family Visit Visas, there is no longer any real advantage in going down that route, the level of proof is exactly the same as a general visit visa.

The fact you guys aren't married doesn't matter at all.

I agree with 7by7, I don't see any problem with the application.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, missed your post theoldgit! That's good to know about the application routes, I was under the impression he had to apply for the family visit visa. He did apply for the general visit visa in the end and it came through this week. I will have one very excited toddler when he arrives! :)

• Like 1