Landline phones in Thailand to be charged by minute

webfact

Landline Phones To Be Charged By Minute
By Khaosod English

13953159611395318851l.jpg
Former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva speaks on phone with members of the public, 2 July 2010.

BANGKOK: -- Landline phones in Thailand are no longer to be charged under a flat fee of 3 baht per call, an official said.

Mr. Thakorn Tanthasit, Secretary-Genral of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), said the agency is currently amending the telecommunication regulations which would become effective in July this year.

The new regulation will replace the flat fee of landline calls with a charge of 0.45 baht per minute, Mr. Thakorn said. The price will be reduced to 0.34 baht per minute in July 2015.

He explained that the change is necessary as service providers are bearing greater financial costs in their operation at the present time.

The amendment will be finalised by June this year, Mr. Thakorn said.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1395315961&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-03-21

• Like 1

"He explained that the change is necessary as service providers are bearing greater financial costs in their operation at the present time." AND... to line up our pockets, more money for us...AND, send more

business over to our mates with the cellular phones concession as now, who would want to use land

line if mobile phones ate cheaper to use...

• Like 1

Really. Imo nationalise the telephone companies. They are using public resources for personal profit. The tech behind phones is easy, simple, and cold be better implemented as a public monopoly. Try and avoid the mess that Australia is in.

• Like 2

Designed to reduce people hogging up land lines unnecessarily, reduce the rumour mongering and to raise more revenue perhaps for the cash strapped insolvent government.

The impact on running costs to business and government departments will be immensely expensive.

• Like 1

From long time I activated SkypeOut Unlimited World: 10,49USD

You can call unlimited any landline and mobile in Thailand and most landlines in the world.

Usually after the first call to my mom overseas is already a deal for me. smile.png

• Like 1

Land line use has plummeted in recent years due to mobile phones, looks like they are trying to make up for that loss. Last time I had a land line was something around 2006.

Edited by rotary

Really. Imo nationalise the telephone companies. They are using public resources for personal profit. The tech behind phones is easy, simple, and cold be better implemented as a public monopoly. Try and avoid the mess that Australia is in.

Keep up!

TOT is already owned by government.

Private players pay a concession fee to the government.

I have no problem with user pays, as it is basically taxpayers and people who don't use landlines very much but still pay the connection fee cross subsidising others.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

This is a problem for phone company's around the world, now most people here in the UK and increasingly in places like Thailand are using the internet and VOIP services to communicate. So they are not making money on phonecalls: their traditional money maker: any more.

They provide the networks, but others like skype are making the profits. For a number of years now I have had a Skype world subscription. I can chat to friends in Thailand for as long as I want for no extra cost over that of the subscription.

Thailand is really going backward in its development efforts, rather than going forward. What makes the Minister of Telecommunications think that by charging more for the landlined phones people will still use them when they have inexpensive cell phones at their disposal?

• Like 1

Not a big change for me as I have been calling mobile phone for 5 years using my TOT landline and I always pay by the minutes.

I guess that the 3 bahts per call fee is landline to landline only.

How often does anyone use a landline for phone calls these days?

I guess people will just stop using landlines all together.

After I changed my internet to cable because my ADSL wasn't stable , I did cancel my phone line too.