Thai Constitutional Court voids February election

webfact

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's democracy? Not what PT were doing.

Previous poster said pitchforks beat bayonets every time.

History shows the truth of the Marxist theory, when people are disenfranchised to an extent where the elite are very removed from the normal populace then there will be uprising.

If its tomorrow, or next week, it is inevitable

What's democracy? Not what PT were doing.

Previous poster said pitchforks beat bayonets every time.

History shows the truth of the Marxist theory, when people are disenfranchised to an extent where the elite are very removed from the normal populace then there will be uprising.

strange that you rant but dont understand what democracy is. ITS ABOUT VOTING IN OR OUT simple really .

the previous poster as you put it is right.

I will keep restating the obvious, this whole debacle is a direct result of allowing a fugitive on the run from Justice the freedom to dictate policy, appoint the prime minister and Gov actions from Dubai. That fact negates everything else going on due to the scale of corruption and abuse being perpetrated across the country including in the so called Issan heartlands.

The Shins are what are preventing the development of real democracy in Thailand. PTP need another leader untainted by the shame of the Shin clan and then some semblance of Thai politics can return.

The notion that the Shins will be allowed to just carry on is a fantasy and step by step they are losing control. The next obvious move is legal convictions against Shin sister No1.

Forget your ideological dreams of democracy, this is Thailand. It works differently here and the likes of taksin give no hope to the whole nation.

• Like 2

I will keep restating the obvious, this whole debacle is a direct result of allowing a fugitive on the run from Justice the freedom to dictate policy, appoint the prime minister and Gov actions from Dubai. That fact negates everything else going on due to the scale of corruption and abuse being perpetrated across the country including in the so called Issan heartlands.

The Shins are what are preventing the development of real democracy in Thailand. PTP need another leader untainted by the shame of the Shin clan and then some semblance of Thai politics can return.

The notion that the Shins will be allowed to just carry on is a fantasy and step by step they are losing control. The next obvious move is legal convictions against Shin sister No1.

Forget your ideological dreams of democracy, this is Thailand. It works differently here and the likes of taksin give no hope to the whole nation.

+1000

It really starts and ends there. All this BS about elections, rice scams, mega projects, committees, red shirts, yellow shirts etc. is all a smokescreen for the real issue. The fact that a convicted criminal fugitive is running the country through his sister is the root cause. I'm still surprised that all this didn't happen sooner. I guess it took the 4 AM amnesty bill for the fugitive in Dubai to finally push things to this point. What kills me is the guy doesn't even try to hide it with statements like "she's my clone" and campaign slogans like "Thaksin thinks, PTP does" How many times has TS stated he's finished with politics? The guy has some serious ego issues.

As the poster states above, until Thaksin and his "clones" get out of politics and stay out, this will just be one continuous series of violent protests, invalid elections, and military coups. At the end of the day, the Thai people are the ones who are getting screwed.

• Like 2

Yay let's dismantle democracy to save us from one man and his family.

My lord, u people are deluded.

What's deluded is thinking that democracy existed in the first place.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The goal isn't to have democracy but to perpetuate the current system which so easily abused. Both Thaksin and the Democrats know how to play the game and use democracy as a way to legitimize their control. The only solution would be the formation of a third party that actually represents the interests of the average citizen. But such a movement would not be allowed to succeed either.

ok, there would be the next one, with the same effect - reds will win the majority, democrats will be losing support (that even if they contest an election).

dems wanted a new parliament, PM dissolved the house, dems boycotted the election. The reds won, election invalidated by yellow's palls from the court, dems call for boycott of the next poll.

the country is going down the drain, not the government, but courts, agencies and fascist mob on the streets running amok, destroying what is left from the reasonable economic, political and social stability.

Do I really have to say this again in all the threads before you realize the actual true situation?

The Dems could have easily won the elections.

PTP only got 8 million out of 40 million votes. Where do you think the other votes would have went if the Dems were running?

That was as of Feb 2nd. A lot has changed since then and the PTP have lost even more popularity. None of their schemes have paid off for their 2011 voters. They have had ministers on stage supporting secession and celebrating the death of children... That has sickened even their hardcore voters.

The PTP if new elections were running tomorrow would be lucky to get 6 million votes.

Why do idiots keep coming out with the same old BS that PTP will win every time and the Dems can't win an election. That is rubbish. It is not the same as it was in 2011.

PTP have let down their voters big time on all fronts. Farmers killing themselves over debts and non payment for their rice. No end in sight.

The kids didn't get their tablets.

The first time car buyer scheme runs out of money halfway through payments (where did that money go?)

The minimum pay for holders of bachelor's degrees, that was suddenly changed after the election victory to only cover government workers and 3 years on and even those government workers are still waiting.

PTP and Thaksin who used to be loved where I live in the northeast are now hated by the majority and people round here really wanted the Dems to run.

The Dems have even come out and said they won't contest the new election unless the election system is overhauled to make it fair, and Yingluck stands down... They Know they would win it hands down this time. But are making an ultimate sacrifice of assured victory once again for the good of the nation and democracy.

So you lot who keep calling the Dems 'unelectable' need to get your head out of the past and catch up to the rest of us, because we are living in 2014 and things are massively different to 2011.

Please try to move into the present, you can start by opening your eyes and removing your red sunglasses.

Your name tells all. So much hatred .

So the best way.forward is to retrace our way backwards to go forwards. Now apparently Thailand has tried this 17 or 18 times already and it has brought us to here.

So everyone, take the blue pi and realise that this bunch of so called reformers are extremely unlikely to have your democratic desires.and wishes at the forefront of their ideas for reform.

Thaksin might be a deceptive, lying thief, but at least everyone knows this and he chooses to play the game at the ballot box, so he can be removed. This other bunch choose not to participated at the ballot box.

How will u ever get rid of them?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The goal isn't to have democracy but to perpetuate the current system which so easily abused. Both Thaksin and the Democrats know how to play the game and use democracy as a way to legitimize their control. The only solution would be the formation of a third party that actually represents the interests of the average citizen. But such a movement would not be allowed to succeed either.

I'm all for a 3rd party. Suthep probably isn't much better than Thaksin. It would be nice if someone came along with policies that helped the poor help themselves, instead of the blatant miniscule bribes. The whole teach a man to fish vs. giving him a fish thing.

Now the precedent has been set that if you know you're going to lose an election, you can just interfere with it. While it's easy to blame Suthep for that, I put the blame squarely at Thaksin's feet. Without that Amnesty bill, this wouldn't be happening.

I hope the military takes over for a few years. This mess isn't fixable in the near term.

• Like 1

Did you not read the post? There is no democracy in Thailand and has been none since taksins first fraudulent election in which he bribed the election judges. You ar right a 3rd party is required..Then there can be talk about hope and a future, the international community might even give it some attention rather than the current isolation the Shins have driven the country too.

Would be interesting to know what grounds for voiding the elections.

Didn't you read the article. The constitution requires that national elections be held on the same day. Since at least 25 districts were unable to field candidates the polls couldn't be completed. Thus under strict interpretation of the constitution the election was invalid. This was an obvious problem before the Feb 2 polls and was why they should have been delayed. Now you have to hold new elections, but when would that be feasible? Also since the "caretaker" government was unable to form a quorum within 30 days of the election I would assume that their status as the legitimate government will be tested in court. Before the election can be held I would assume that Yingluck will be impeached over the rice scheme and most of the PT will be banned over the attempt to amend the senate. The PTP will join the TRT and the PPP as a defunct party and will reform under a new banner.

How does this then allow for repolling for yellow cards after the event. What is the difference? The vote I those constituencies can be reheld. So what.

Why does that void all the other voting?

So the best way.forward is to retrace our way backwards to go forwards. Now apparently Thailand has tried this 17 or 18 times already and it has brought us to here.

So everyone, take the blue pi and realise that this bunch of so called reformers are extremely unlikely to have your democratic desires.and wishes at the forefront of their ideas for reform.

Thaksin might be a deceptive, lying thief, but at least everyone knows this and he chooses to play the game at the ballot box, so he can be removed. This other bunch choose not to participated at the ballot box.

I honestly can't think of a good solution. It sounds elitist to say it, but do the poor folks that vote for Thaksin vote for him because he actually makes their life better long term, or is it because he comes up with these "free money" short term scams? Like the recent rice fiasco, and the village loan thing years back that was used to give loans to the friends of the village heads.

The solution is going forward and trying to get more democracy and more transparency, not doing a u turn and expecting Suthep to carry out reform.

Just think about it. Suthep carrying out democratic reform. Its laughable.

• Like 1

Would be interesting to know what grounds for voiding the elections.

Didn't you read the article. The constitution requires that national elections be held on the same day. Since at least 25 districts were unable to field candidates the polls couldn't be completed. Thus under strict interpretation of the constitution the election was invalid. This was an obvious problem before the Feb 2 polls and was why they should have been delayed. Now you have to hold new elections, but when would that be feasible? Also since the "caretaker" government was unable to form a quorum within 30 days of the election I would assume that their status as the legitimate government will be tested in court. Before the election can be held I would assume that Yingluck will be impeached over the rice scheme and most of the PT will be banned over the attempt to amend the senate. The PTP will join the TRT and the PPP as a defunct party and will reform under a new banner.

judicial coup supporting the concept of thugs, on either side, stopping any election they think they will lose

a black, black day as it sets a precedent that thugs can block voting and be supported by the courts

whatever side you may sympathize with it is blatantly unfair and will do nothing to heal Thailand's gaping wound

• Like 2

I honestly can't think of a good solution. It sounds elitist to say it, but do the poor folks that vote for Thaksin vote for him because he actually makes their life better long term, or is it because he comes up with these "free money" short term scams? Like the recent rice fiasco, and the village loan thing years back that was used to give loans to the friends of the village heads.

Aha. Well taking away peoples votes isn't a good solution. Why doesn't Suthep get on his bike and take his road show to isaan to tell the people exactly how corrupt Thaksin is?

Its a start. Better than chopping democracy up into a form that suits his idea of democracy.

• Like 1

Aha. Well taking away peoples votes isn't a good solution. Why doesn't Suthep get on his bike and take his road show to isaan to tell the people exactly how corrupt Thaksin is?

Its a start. Better than chopping democracy up into a form that suits his idea of democracy.

Probably because every time a Democrat goes to Isaan to campaign, they run the risk of getting beaten or worse.

I can hear the conversation now upcountry:

Suthep: "Thaksin is corrupt"

People: "yeah but he gave us "loans" we didn't have to pay back. He bought rice from us at 60% above market value. He promised us all these handouts. What do you have for us?"

Suthep: " I can offer a climate that will help you help yourselves"

At this point Suthep starts ducking all the shoes being thrown at him as he scrambles back to his waiting car to be whisked away back to Bangkok.

I understand that Isaan has long been ignored by the politicians in Bangkok, but I'd argue that Thaksin's way of fixing their economic issues probably does more harm than good. See the recent rice fiasco for evidence of that. Politicians have been doing it for years all over the world. Keep the poor, poor. Give them a few scraps and they'll love you for it.

• Like 1

Probably because every time a Democrat goes to Isaan to campaign, they run the risk of getting beaten or worse.

I can hear the conversation now upcountry:

Suthep: "Thaksin is corrupt"

People: "yeah but he gave us "loans" we didn't have to pay back. He bought rice from us at 60% above market value. He promised us all these handouts. What do you have for us?"

Suthep: " I can offer a climate that will help you help yourselves"

At this point Suthep starts ducking all the shoes being thrown at him as he scrambles back to his waiting car to be whisked away back to Bangkok.

I understand that Isaan has long been ignored by the politicians in Bangkok, but I'd argue that Thaksin's way of fixing their economic issues probably does more harm than good. See the recent rice fiasco for evidence of that. Politicians have been doing it for years all over the world. Keep the poor, poor. Give them a few scraps and they'll love you for it.

Well that's democracy. Cutting it up to save the people from making a supposed mistake is idiotic. It is forward that should be the next step. Not back to a reform committee.

They had a committee to write this constitution. Look where that got them.

• Like 1

It is going to be a long hot summer, with factional malevolence aplenty. More squandering of that most precious resource - time. But it hard for the CC to have taken any other action really, the election was a mess because of the vote-stopping movement, and the failure of the opposition to step up their political game and provide a credible alternative to the current nest of vipers.

Everybody I speak to over here says the same thing, they are sick to their boots of both these main parties, and they want a whole new party that actually concentrates on Thailand as a whole and not just on the specialised interests of their party funders. I have to agree with my Thai friends on this one, I don't see anything in the future except a lot more headlines like this one in the OP, unless there is a genuine seachange towards moderate mainstream parties and these two extremist parties become gradually marginalised and forgotten.

Thailand does need a 'new way' and it ain't Suthep's, Thaksins, Abhisit's or thugs on either side stopping elections on a technicality

wherefore art thou Aung San Suu Kyi, Mandela, Ghandi, Kennedy or Churchill?

all Thailand has are 'pretenders' that bicker over self-interest like spoilt children in the playground - and Thailand suffers

• Like 2

A whole can of worms have been opened here. This has given carte blanche to anyone who does not want elections to be held in Thailand. The only way to then stop the protestors is to bring in the RTA or RTP which will then result in violence and bloodshed.

If this ever happens in the future, all will remember that this is PDRC'S legacy to Thailand.

Long live the King.

Lets see........... Reds violent for many years, particularly so 4 years ago. Get snotty because people don't like Thaksin stealing darn near the entire treasury and in tne mean time thay have corrupted the voting system. PDRC come on stage (every day & night for over 4 months, like a Thai My Fair Lady" except it is exactly the opposite of that. Reds can't govern, disolve parliament. Election called in 2nd month of protests. Only PTP & cronie parties stand.because the electoral system has been corrupted Election fails. You suggest that the only only solution is to call in the army, (or the police???????????????????) and the result will be "violence & bloodshed" And the blame will be on the PDRC.

How do you work that out. Hasn't anyone told you that blaming the victims not tne criminals is just silly and wrong?. And are you a coup monger?

Long live the King........ And, eventually, a happy fairly represented democratic people of Thailand

Huh?????

What are you trying to say, really? My post is about setting a precedent, in law. It's obvious from your response that you have no iota of knowledge about that.

Stick to killing innocent animals.

Just a last freebie for your education with this link so that YOU have some iota of knowledge, but Thailand doesn't follow the stare decisis doctrine AKA precedence law.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/int24.htm

:coffee1:

Edited by kuthow

Along with yingluck and other PT members for corruption, criminal incompetence over the rice scheme, those involved in the murder of the PRDC leader outside the polling station, those responsible for attacks and killings during the current protests [on both sides], Tarit for his illegal construction project, UDD leaders for their part in the murder of civilians during their occupation of bangkok in 2010 and other incidents of thuggery, thaksin for the extra judicial murders in his drugs war, his ex for corruption, PAD for their lunacy back in 2006 [was that their year], chalerm's son for murder, and lets face it, so many more of all political shades, sure.

Let the courts judge the guilty and innocent.

Works for me.

How about you?

Don't be silly, it's a bit more serious than your stereotyping.

1: Who appoints the judges ?

2: Where are their interests ?

3: Who instructs them ??

4: There are now 20,000,000 pissed off voters, many of whom think their vote and opinions have needlessly been nullified.

It should not be a surprise if some of them are a bit "hostile" to this ruling.

5: Expect a lot more violence.

6: It seems many on here think it's quite acceptable for Suthep to derail an election, but I wonder what you would say if Thida or

Jataporn were to do the same ??? ( endless frothing no doubt.)

7: it doesn't work for me, far too simplistic.

8: The precedent set, which you, and others here, seem to approve is that any loonie closing, by force and intimidation, a polling

station or two, during a legal and constitutional election, is a truly insane precedent.

9: It is now way, way beyond Thaksin.

I'll take the judges over UDD any day.

However it is point 8 i would like you to back up with evidence please. I never supported the blocking of polling stations. I have always supported elections. I have from day 1 called suthep and his plans for a fascist council wrong.

As for being silly, physician heal thyself if you truly believe point 9.

Perhaps this might provide some of the information you may be interested in:

Prior to the Constitutional Court ruling, protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban, who was a deputy prime minister under the previous Democrat-led government, told his supporters in a speech on Thursday there would be no compromise.

"If the court rules the election void, don't even dream that there will be another election. If a new election date is declared, then we'll take care of every province and the election won't be successful again," he said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/21/uk-thailand-protest-idUKBREA2K05420140321

Nope. Philw claimed I agreed with blocking elections and by implication support suthep in point 8. That is a lie.

• Like 1

It is going to be a long hot summer, with factional malevolence aplenty. More squandering of that most precious resource - time. But it hard for the CC to have taken any other action really, the election was a mess because of the vote-stopping movement, and the failure of the opposition to step up their political game and provide a credible alternative to the current nest of vipers.

Everybody I speak to over here says the same thing, they are sick to their boots of both these main parties, and they want a whole new party that actually concentrates on Thailand as a whole and not just on the specialised interests of their party funders. I have to agree with my Thai friends on this one, I don't see anything in the future except a lot more headlines like this one in the OP, unless there is a genuine seachange towards moderate mainstream parties and these two extremist parties become gradually marginalised and forgotten.

Nail. Meet head!

It's an absolute mess. No one at all comes out of this smelling of roses. Everyone has dirt and blood on their hands.

What you suggested needs to be done. However, it looks very unlikely at the current time.

• Like 1

As much as want to see the backs of the corrupt and cheating Shinawatwa's, I think this is a bad day for Thailand as it has set a president whereby next time the PTP (or what ever name they are going by at the time) could use the same tactics to nullify an election.

That would assume a government would try to push through an election just like the Yingluck government tried to. Lots of 'nice' platitudes from Ms. Yingluck on what she could or could not, lots of threats from Pheu Thai MPs and members if the election would not continue. Etc., etc.

even you cannot possibly think it's fair that anyone blocks an election and it's called off on a technicality? it's so obviously biased and says 'hey anyone can block democratic elections if they think they will lose'

'Technicality', now your twisting, and not being truthful.

• Like 1