Why Is Thailand So Backward?

Belfastboy

That's an interesting concept though.How many people here would have come or kept visiting Thailand if the shelias were not so available? (and I'm not just talking BG's here!) :o

But.. we're not talking about repeat tourism.. The fact still remains that many many people come to Thailand for reasons other than Sheilas...

totster :D

No mate, i'm not just talking about repeat tourism either.Whether we like it or not,a huge percentage of people that live here now were first attracted by their second brain.

Look at everybody that you know or have met and ask them this honestly, "that if Thailand was a barren wasteland when it came to a bit of "how's your father",would they have ended up, or spent nearly as much time here??

There is also lots and of other things that attract people,but not as much as what I have mentioned above IMO. :D

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No mate, i'm not just talking about repeat tourism either.Whether we like it or not,a huge percentage of people that live here now were first attracted by their second brain.

Maybe attracted by their second brain... but now realise that there is more to Thailand than Soi Cowboy etc...

totster :o

Maybe attracted by their second brain... but now realise that there is more to Thailand than Soi Cowboy etc...

totster :o

Soi Cowboy? What's it like then? :D

Soi Cowboy? What's it like then? :D

Dunno... I'll have to ask monochaser... :o

I would suggest that you go have a close look and stay a few days or weeks in Thailand's neighboring countries, Burma, Laos and Cambodia. Compare the infrastructure and lifestyle of these "dynamic" countries. If Thailand were like Singapore I couldn't afford to live here and Malaysia is more expensive than Thailand despite what the Malaysia supporters say. I also much prefer the Buddhists. My second retirement choice was the Philippines and after having been there and looked around, Thailand came out on top easily.

I like Thailand warts and all. I think I'll stay. :o

Edited by Gary A

Why does Thailand need to follow the likes of Malaysia or Singapore? I love Thailand because it is different. :D

Yeah, you can keep Malaysia and all of its economic prowess for a start... Muang Thai knocks it right on its arse. The general attitude of its people and all that hacking and spitting :o

Singapore's great for a visit and to do some shopping, but I wouldn't have Thailand be on a level par with it economically if it meant Thailand also adopt its rigid society and having to wait for traffic lights to turn green. :D

lets face it, there are alot of losers in Thailand hiding from the fact that they couldn't make it at home. When they fail here, either financially, or in a relationship, they blame Thailand for everything.

cv

The facts, Jack. :o

Thailand is better than many countries, it is just not as good as it could be.

The blind leading the blind, the education, the racism, the violence, the social aspect that hinders many things.

Want a dozen examples of just the last few days ??

And there is nothing at all wrong in being here for the girls, anyone who says not is either gay or in denial.

ROTFLMAO -

This thread contains some of the most ignorant statements I have ever seen on Thaivisa.

Laos ahead of Thailand? What are you smoking? More Thais speak English than the entire population of Laos. Laos is a landlocked country with only three industry sectors: mining, hydroelectric power genertion, and garment manufacturing. There is nothing else.

Cambodia? 80% of the government officials in Camboia never even attended university - many never even graduated from high school (not their fault - most educated persons were slaughtered back in "Year Zero"). Chonburi provine has more paved roads than all of Cambodia.

Vietnam and Laos (alomng with China, North Korea, and Cuba)are still Communist Countries. You still have to join the Communist Party to be a first-class citizen.

Try talking to Westerners who hve run busineses in Vietnam - they will tell you horror strories about the beuracracy that make Thailand look like a model of efficiency.

Singapore - well, its certainly well-educated and efficient. But - before you start trumpetting Singapore, you best check out a few things. Like the certificate of Entitlement rules for buying a car, or the waiting list for a new flt from the Housing Developmnt Board (imagine marrying your sweetheart in 2006, and signing up for your own apartment - which will becme available in 2013). Hey - but you can always drink and dance until dawn! Thaland is swarming with Singaporean start-up companies. Wh? One reason is that all Singporean men must serves their entire adult life in the military or military active reserves - and one of the few ways to escape annual service is to be posted to work outside Singapore.

Malaysia is a pretty good place. I just don't lke living in a collection of sultanates, each headed by a Muslim Sultan. With world trends going the way they are, I cant imagne ever wanting to put down roots, unless I converted to Islam. And pigs will fly befre that ever happens.

Western and Japanese investment has always been here. Now, Indian, and Chinese, and Middle Eastern investment is STREAMING in. You needn't shed any tears about how Thailand's foreign direct investment outlook is falling apart.

The main people who are singing the blues around Thailand are the sex tourists, and the refugees from socialized Western economies that tax the everloving daylights out of ther hard-working citizens, to subsidize unassimilated masses of hostile immigrants.

We're also immigrants in Thailand - and way too many of us are "unassimilated." Let's not also be hostile.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Cambodia? 80% of the government officials in Cambodia never even attended university - many never even graduated from high school (not their fault - most educated persons were slaughtered back in "Year Zero"). Chonburi province has more paved roads than all of Cambodia.

I suggest the OP take a bus on the ‘road’ from Angkor Wat to the Thai border and then drive from the border to Bangkok, and then do a comparison on how ‘undeveloped’ Thailand is.

Singapore - well, its certainly well-educated and efficient. But - before you start trumpetting Singapore, you best check out a few things. Like the certificate of Entitlement rules for buying a car, or the waiting list for a new flt from the Housing Developmnt Board (imagine marrying your sweetheart in 2006, and signing up for your own apartment - which will becme available in 2013). Hey - but you can always drink and dance until dawn! Thaland is swarming with Singaporean start-up companies. Wh? One reason is that all Singporean men must serves their entire adult life in the military or military active reserves - and one of the few ways to escape annual service is to be posted to work outside Singapore.

Don’t forget that if you get too big there the Lee family…I’m sorry, Tamasek, will want a cut.

Malaysia is a pretty good place. I just don't lke living in a collection of sultanates, each headed by a Muslim Sultan. With world trends going the way they are, I cant imagne ever wanting to put down roots, unless I converted to Islam. And pigs will fly befre that ever happens.

Being a Muslim nation, they won’t let the flying pigs over Malaysia airspace. Besides, the place is just as corrupt as anywhere, except for some reason better infrastructure tends to lull people into thinking that corruption doesn’t exist.

The main people who are singing the blues around Thailand are the sex tourists.

Too true. Their sense of what is ‘backwards’ or ‘developed’ tends to revolve around the opening hours of go-go bars where they go pick up their buck toothed, country bumpkin “good looking” girlfriend that they still have to pay for.

Ummm...They have military conscription here mate.

Do you have ANY idea about how the military conscription programs operate in Singapore and Thailand? There is no comparison.

Singapore follows the Swiss model - EVERY male citizen must actually serve on active duty for several years, and then must serve in reserve status for several weeks each year for the rest of his adult life.

In Thailand, all males must simply show up for a one-day conscription event - a medical exam - and then - only if the local subscription office has not fulfilled its annual quota with volunteers - then and only then do the qualified local applicants then draw colored balls from a jar, for the conscription lottery. I understand that when the process gets this far, only two or three out of ten balls consign the "lucky winner" to involuntary military service. So - maybe 10% of Thai males actully put in any military service at all - and maybe 20% of those are conscripts. So - at most, 2% of Thai males are REQUIRED to serve against their wishes. And - they just serve a two or three year tour, and are then finished with their obligation for life.

There is no comparison - so why do you bring up such a totally lame argument? Stick to winning arguments, not losing ones.

I can definitely make a great argument for the tremendous progress Singpore made between 1965 and 2000 - and I know how they made that progress - under an iron dictator named Lee Kuan Yew. Forget political freedom - but it succeeded, quite brilliantly - unless you were an opposition political activist.

There's just one big thing that Singaporean's have to worry about - fresh water. If they piss off Malaysia, Malaysia turns off the tap - and Singapore is IMMEDIATELY in deep trouble. It's happened several times in history. Singapore also can't feed itself - unlike Thailand, which is a huge net exporter of food.

I first came to Thailand in 1995 - this country has made amazing strides forward since then. There's still a long way to go.

Burma is 80 years behind Thailand in economic development. Laos and Cambodia are 40 years behind. Vietnam is 20 years behind - but is closing the gap. Malaysia is 20 years ahead of Thailand - but is NOT pulling away from Thailand. Singapore is 50 years ahead of "Thailand" - but only ten years ahead of "Bangkok" - and that gap is closing. The 4,000,000 Thais at the top of Thailand's population compare very favorably to the 4,000,000+ population of Singapore.

Personally, I think that Singapore was THE LEADER of the region ten years ago, but its influence is fading. Thailand was moving to take over the leadership role five years ago - but the recent internal political intrigues have derailed that rise. If I had to look ahead ten years, I would predict that Thailand will be the leader, with Vietnam very close on its heels.

Cheers

Steve

Indo-Siam

Edited by Indo-Siam

Ummm...They have military conscription here mate.

Do you have ANY idea about how the military conscription programs operte in Sigpoe and Thailand? There is no comparison.

There is no comparison - so why do you bring up such a totally lame argument? Stick to winning arguments, not losing ones

yep, I do understand and the system here is corrupt.You can buy your way out of it if you get the wrong coloured ball.I'll stick to any argument that i like thanks.just because you have a different opinion,dosn't mean bugger all in my book pal!

Burma is 80 years behind Thailand in economic development. Laos and Cambodia are 40 years behind. Vietnam is 20 years behind - but is closing the gap. Malaysia is 20 years ahead of Thailand - but is NOT pulling away from Thailand. Singapore is 50 years ahead of "Thailand" - but only ten years ahead of "Bangkok" - and that gap is closing. The 4,000,000 Thais at the top of Thailand's population compare very favorably to the 4,000,000+ population of Singapore.

Personally, I think that Singapore was THE LEADER of the region ten years ago, but its influence is fading. Thailand was moving to take over the leadership role five years ago - but the recent internal political intrigues have derailed that rise. If I had to look ahead ten years, I would predict that Thailand will be the leader, with Vietnam very close on its heels.

Cheers

Steve

Indo-Siam

I think that you look at this place with rose tinted glases and are somewhat biased.Try looking outside of Bangkok and compare how people are compared to Singapore.

SINGAPORE is still a leader in my book.Education,medical care,wealth, LITTLE CORRUPTION etc,etc.How large is their surplus??Hmmmm?

The people might not be as nice or friendly and the laws there might seem a little draconian...Still, it;'s better than having laws that you can bribe yourself around.

BTW, I'm not knocking Thailand either,just pointing out that Singapore is better IMO, and will be for many,many years, untill sorts out corruption and a few other things.

You know Steve, there is much more to this country than Bangkok mate. :o

Thailand has a lot going for it but what hold it back and will continue to hold it back is the corruption and face.

Education: Buying degrees, many politicians have been accused of this; the sad thing is Thai degrees are not worth the paper they are written on. I have Thai friends who have worked hard to get them then had to go in debt to attend uni overseas to get real recognition from companies in Thailand. Plagiarism is a common practice if not the norm now. Students are discouraged from asking questions should the teacher not know the answer and lose face. Even though Thais can read and write the English language their speaking skills are poor because they are too shy to practice with native speakers fearing a loss of face.

Business: Many Thai in the work place have good ideas on increasing productivity, but this talent is wasted because management will lose face if the suggestion is put forward to the manager because he didn't come up with the idea.

Politics: Well not much to be said there everyone knows how much tax money goes into politicians pockets then hidden overseas keeping it out of the Thai economy. :o

Too true. Their sense of what is ‘backwards’ or ‘developed’ tends to revolve around the opening hours of go-go bars where they go pick up their buck toothed, country bumpkin “good looking” girlfriend that they still have to pay for.

Don't see too many non-sex tourists with stunners for girlfriends or wives either. :o

Don't see too many non-sex tourists with stunners for girlfriends or wives either. :o

Excuse me? So if a guy's wife is good looking she is/was a sex worker? :D

cv

Excuse me? So if a guy's wife is good looking she is/was a sex worker? :D

cv

Not necessarily. I'm not really sure where you came up with that. :D

From CIA World Fact Book - http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html (for what that's worth - I assume that it is reasonably accurate, with respect to economic data):

GDP per capita (2005)

Singapore - US $28,00

Malaysia - US $12,100

Thailand - US $8,300

Philippines - US $5,100

Indonesia - US 3,600

Vietnam - US $2,800

Cambodia - US $2,200

Laos - US $1,900

Myanmar/Burma - US $1,700

GDP (purchasing power parity): - and GDP Growth Rate

Indonesia - US $865.6 Billion - 5.6%

Thailand - US $560.7 Billion - 4.5%

Philippines - US $451.3 Billion - 5.1%

Malaysia - US $290.2 Billion - 5.3%

Vietnam - US $232.2 Billion - 8.4%

Singapore - US $124.3 Billion - 6.4%

Myanmar/Burma - US $78.74 Billion - 2.9%

Cambodia - US $30.65 Billion - 6.0%

Laos - US $11.92 Billion - 7.2%

For Reference:

Australia - US $640.1 Billion - 2.5% GDP per capita: US $31,900

Germany - US $2.504 Trillion - 0.9% GDP per capita: US $30,400

Japan - US $4.018 Trillion - 2.7% GDP per capita: US $31,500

UK - US $1.869 Trillion - 1.7% GDP per capita: US $30,900

USA - US $12.36 Trillion - 3.5% GDP per capita: US $41,800

So - tell me again how Thailand's neighbors are tearing it to pieces with their economic success - because I just don't see it. Thailand has slower growth - but it is a lot harder to move a large economy by a few percentge points, than a smaller economy.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

From CIA World Fact Book -
:o:D

Show your CIA facts to the many millions of rural Thai people and they will have a wee chuckle.

Thailand is still a nice place to live.I would much rather be here than Cambodia or Burma.I would much prefer Singapore though, and so would 'her indoors'. :D

Yes, Thailand has the available hot chicks, without them this place is toast, I mean toast

Yep, you could be right there.

Well an un-named Western Diplomat caused uproar back in 99 I think it was when he was quoted in Time or Fortune saying

"The only competative advantage Thailand has is golf and sex"

"the waiting list for a new flt from the Housing Developmnt Board (imagine marrying your sweetheart in 2006, and signing up for your own apartment - which will becme available in 2013)."

But as a foreigner on a EP I can walk into one tomorrow can I not?

"The main people who are singing the blues around Thailand are the sex tourists, and the refugees from socialized Western economies that tax the everloving daylights out of ther hard-working citizens, to subsidize unassimilated masses of hostile immigrants."

LOL - is this your roundabout way of saying Europeans?

I would say it was the sexpats rather than sex tourists who complain the most - sex tourists are in an out so to speak ;-)

Did you not arrive as a sex tourist?

You were certainly a sexpat and knocked around the sexpat bar's with plenty of them posting on the nightlife boards about it all too ;-)

Edited by Prakanong2005

Show your CIA facts to the many millions of rural Thai people and they will have a wee chuckle.

Thailand is still a nice place to live.I would much rather be here than Cambodia or Burma.I would much prefer Singapore though, and so would 'her indoors'. :D

Work in Singapore play in Thailand - I might just be joining you in that soon

Or it might be Switzerland

"Her indoors" thinks they are both the same except one hot and one cold :D

If you really want to play, you do what thousands of Singaporians do every weekend.Take the one hour ferry to Bintan or Batam in Indo.Apparantly, it's very cheap and accomodating. :D

Here are some of the following reasons why Malaysia and Singapore are far far ahead of Thailand.

Malaysia and Singapore were under British rule. The British left behind a world class education system,

a world class public and private infrastructure and etc. Both countries practice the British system of Parliament.

In Malaysia, laws and contracts are written in English and in Malay (the National Language). High Court cases

could be conducted in English with special consent. English is widely spoken and it is the second language.

I normally speak English with my Chinese, Malay and Indian friends. I also speak English with my family members

with Chinese in between. It may some strange to you, but it is a normal norm here. I speak more English than Chinese

with my family and friends.

As far as education is concerned, Thailand is still far far behind.

Malaysia is a muslim country (60% muslims/40% non muslims), however the non muslims are free to practice their own faith,

eat and drink what they like, go to the horse races and gamble at the Genting Highlands casinos and so on.

Nothing is perfect here, but life must go on.

Coming back to Thailand, I have a problem consulting with a Thai pharmacist (university graduate). He could not understand

some medical terms in English. He told me that his English is limited. I can understand his problem.

You were certainly a sexpat and knocked around the sexpat bar's with plenty of them posting on the nightlife boards about it all too ;-)

Funny how some people suddenly reinvent themselves, and recent arrivals graduate from barstool politicians into resident experts in a matter of few years, especially when their business is living off amateurs trying to open a business here in this 'rising' economy... :o

As to Malaisya's rise in the recent decades - difference between Thailand and Malaysia, apart from less corruption and far more coherent economical planning, is that Malaysia doesn't have the completely impoverished and disfunctional hinterland that Thailand has. That has already started more than twenty years ago, where Malaysia had the far better green revolution than Thailand.

As long as Thailand does not find a long term solution to get the more than the 50% of its population that are agricultural producers out of their debt trap, and at the same time finds a way to decentralise industrial development, it will stay the underachiever that it is forever, and any development will be eaten up by corruption and misplanning.

:D:D

If you really want to play, you do what thousands of Singaporians do every weekend.Take the one hour ferry to Bintan or Batam in Indo.Apparantly, it's very cheap and accomodating. :D

The jungle drums might warn "Her indoors" of that one :o

Colypat

And the idea Singaporeans are rushing to open business's in Thailand is to avoid National Service is absolutely hilarious.

I do not think NS is arduous down there and the type who get posted overseas will in all probability be officers anyway.

There just might be good economic reasons Sinapore invest overseas (and not just Thailand - how much in in Thailand compared to others?) but to dodge NS I bet is really low on the list.

Colypat

And the idea Singaporeans are rushing to open business's in Thailand is to avoid National Service is absolutely hilarious.

I do not think NS is arduous down there and the type who get posted overseas will in all probability be officers anyway.

There just might be good economic reasons Sinapore invest overseas (and not just Thailand - how much in in Thailand compared to others?) but to dodge NS I bet is really low on the list.

I was told, that the cash reserves that Singapore has is just incredible and that only a handful of people actually know how much it is

Another example of a small investment for them was when Neptune Orient Line purchased one of the biggest shipping lines in the world approx ten years ago (American President lines)

They still have a hard -on for logistical companies and the like.(Probably second only to HKG/China in this regard)