Foreign VISA card charge at ATMs now 180 Baht

wump

I checked, and I think there is no topic on this yet.

Today was the first time they tried to hit me with a 180 Baht charge on my visa card. Tried Bank of Ayutthaya (yellow), Kasikorn (green) and UOB Bank. Bangkok Bank was still 150.

I think they are all going to increase to 180 Baht when they have to update their ATMs (Win XP is no longer supported).

Edited by MaikB84

Noticed this a couple of weeks ago i read on here somewhere that they were doing on master cards, seems they doing it for all now, i hate paying to get my own money at the best of times and refuse to use the pay ones in UK.Over here got no choice so just have to pay it, to be fair its only about £3.00 so no biggy for the amount of times i use an atm, i supose if your using the atm 2 or more times a week it will add up if your stuck using your cards from your origional country.

old news..

All other threads seem to talk about the increase only being applied to Mastercards?

The recent threads are saying across the board increase to 180 for Visa also. SCB was mentioned as were some other banks. Believe the main discussion was in the Aeon now charging 150 Baht.

Some times my wife sends money to Thailand for her mother, she pays all expenses at our end in the UK , then the Thai Bank take there cut. i thought paying all expenses mean exactly that but seems not to Thai banks.

I believe there are different charges involved here. There's the SWIFT fees and the bank's own fees.

Try sending the next one without paying all the expenses and you will probably see that the amount charged by the recipient bank increases to include a SWIFT handling fee in addition to the standard charge that the bank usually charges even when 'all the fees' are paid.

I came across this a long time ago when sending payments to various countries via the SWIFT network.

old news..

All other threads seem to talk about the increase only being applied to Mastercards?

Kasikorn and Siam both tried to charge me 180 baht on Visa Card today. Bangkok Bank still B150 but I imagine they will not be far behind. Yet another way to divest those pesky foreigners of their hard earned cash.

Ever since interest rates plummeted the banks have needed ways to increase their revenue stream. Soon you will be charged per withdrawal at any ATM after all it has been free since its inception well apart from when they imposed charges for using another bank's ATM, so its only a matter of time. Its time to inspect the space under the mattress again.