Grand President Mini Market

I don't drink a whole lot of beer here due to the horrible gut wrenching taste of the Thai brewed stuff and imports here are a no no. I used to cruise to the nearby to my place Grand President mini mart in the center of Cosmopolitan BKK to grab a Victoria Bitter for 100 baht a pop. Well hey at least they were the only store in the country that carried a less than 1 year old import of any kind for any price (it was maybe only 10 months old or 6 months stale). So I cruised in with a thirst for beer (I used to adore beer and drank a 6 pk a day of various brands in the US). I walked into the store over to the coolers and saw a change. They had a brand new selection of beers that goes as follows:

cans:

Tiger

Heineken

Leo

Chang

Sing

bottles:

Heineken

Sing

Tiger

big bottles:

Chang

Heineken

Leo

Wowee wow wow, what a grand selection they have now! all brewed in thailand with that same rank aftertaste

Walk into any liquor store in the US and they have 100 different brands. Will Thailand ever get off their asses and provide a selection for customers? Or will they continue to sell only the same 5 brands and force the likes of me sober? The beer situation in Thailand flat out stinks

Will Thailand ever get off their asses and provide a selection for customers? Or will they continue to sell only the same 5 brands and force the likes of me sober? The beer situation in Thailand flat out stinks

Another postive post about Thailand from monochaser... :o

Victoria Bitter for 100 baht a pop.

:D:D:D VB is rotten.IMHO

(I used to adore beer and drank a 6 pk a day of various brands in the US).

Are you American or an Ozzie? Various brands in the US. Coors, Bud etc. :D:D

I thought we were talking about beer? Not piss water. :o

I don't drink a whole lot of beer here due to the horrible gut wrenching taste of the Thai brewed stuff and imports here are a no no. I used to cruise to the nearby to my place Grand President mini mart in the center of Cosmopolitan BKK to grab a Victoria Bitter for 100 baht a pop. Well hey at least they were the only store in the country that carried a less than 1 year old import of any kind for any price (it was maybe only 10 months old or 6 months stale). So I cruised in with a thirst for beer (I used to adore beer and drank a 6 pk a day of various brands in the US). I walked into the store over to the coolers and saw a change. They had a brand new selection of beers that goes as follows:

cans:

Tiger

Heineken

Leo

Chang

Sing

bottles:

Heineken

Sing

Tiger

big bottles:

Chang

Heineken

Leo

Wowee wow wow, what a grand selection they have now! all brewed in thailand with that same rank aftertaste

Walk into any liquor store in the US and they have 100 different brands. Will Thailand ever get off their asses and provide a selection for customers? Or will they continue to sell only the same 5 brands and force the likes of me sober? The beer situation in Thailand flat out stinks

dey ain't got dem bud 16 oz tall boys den dey ain't got sheeeeahd...

tutsi V13, Venice Beach...(wees's bloods...)

where's ol' Boon?... 'fraid ob bein' a Orange County Huntington pier sissy?...Clark foam was always better than Walker...godammit...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

:o

I wish I had this kind of problems...

P.S.:

Fridge in a mom & pop shop in the US:

Miller light

Bud light

I hear you on that 1st line there raro. as far as small stores in US and their beer selections; you'd be surprised nowadays as they are quite extensive even in the smallest of stores

I know I'm new here, BUT I really have to call out monochaser on "Only" having Tiger, Heineken, Leo, Chang & Sing to choose from! :D I live 11 time zones away from LoS & untill recently no one here had ever heard of Singha, let alone the other Thai Beers you mentioned. :D (Heineken has always seemed like they burned one of the ingredients while brewing it, so to me it doesn't count as "Beer." Tastes kinda like liquid charcoal...As I duck for cover!)

I have to drive TWO Towns over to even buy Beer (YES, the idiots STILL have "Dry" areas here in Baptist dominated North Texas!) :o & when I get there "if" they haven't sold out, Sing is US$9.00 for a sixer! :D I realize arguing the merits of one beer over another is about as pointless as arguing over religion...we all like what we like & most likely won't be swayed too much. But "Bitters"??? :D Isn't that the stuff they draw up outta the celler in the UK that looks like used Motor Oil! You've gotta be raised on that stuff to appreciate it, I'm sure! :D...O.G. old.gif

That $9 sing must taste really rank. Oh and another thing about beer in Thailand, 6 packs don't exist. LOL. Oh and I dont like bitter but it beats the crap out of anything brewed here. It just so happens that it was the only import available. and about that $9 6 pk. What I'd give to be able to get a nice $1.50 import here. thats dirt cheap there grandpa!

Edited by monochaser

That $9 sing must taste really rank. Oh and another thing about beer in Thailand, 6 packs don't exist. LOL

Yes, I know :o ...a cardboard carrier is SO much more efficient than a thin plastic bag ALWAYS on the verge of bursting. Why would the Thais want to switch over to something that actually WORKS???...O.G. old.gif

BTW: Single bottles are available, but at the increased tariff of US$2.00 each.

Oh and another thing about beer in Thailand, 6 packs don't exist.

12 packs do. I buy them all the time.

THANX for the info jayenram! :o That means next time I'm in LoS I'll only need to trek to my local BEER purveyor 1/2 as often in order to purchase my "Nectar of the Gods." :D...O.G. old.gif

Obviously another poster that does not look beyond his nose. In our pub we have

V.B.

Crown

Coopers Pale

Coopers Sparkling Light

Fosters

Fosters Light Ice*

Erdingen Weissen

Erdingen Dunkel Weissen

Erdingen Champ

Diebles Alt*

Paulaner Salvator

Paulaner Pils

Paulaner Lager

Kingfisher

John Smiths*

Newcastle Brown*

Tetleys Bitter

Natch Bristol Cider

Strongbow

Dry Blackthorn

Guinness

Miller light

Miller GD

Budweiser

Grolsch

Grolsch Amber

Warsteiner

Kopperburgs Apple Cider

Copperburgers Pear Cider*

Corona

* awaiting new delivery.

As well as

Tiger

Asahi

Kloster

Henieken

Tiger

Leo

Chang

Singha

Archa

Blue Ice

Red Horse

And beers we did have but sold out ( and had confiscated)

Fullers London Pride

Wadworths 6X

Hobgoblin

Fiddlers Elbow

Spitfire

Bishops Finger

Courage Directors

Holsten Pils

Becks

Theakstons Old Perculiar

So please do not talk about NOT getting good beers in Thailand.

There are also about fifty more beers from Belgium (see Belgium beer shop in BKK), france, Spain & Italy, but I decided to stop on 41 brands ( 42 when my Gaymers gets here)

And before you say " Oh they're to expensive" Agreed they cost more than " Cheap Charlie" Thai beers, but most of them are a little cheaper than in their country of origin.

Edited by lampard10

V.B.

Crown

Coopers Pale

Coopers Sparkling Light

Fosters

Fosters Light Ice*

Erdingen Weissen

Erdingen Dunkel Weissen

Erdingen Champ

Diebles Alt*

Paulaner Salvator

Paulaner Pils

Paulaner Lager

Kingfisher

John Smiths*

Newcastle Brown*

Tetleys Bitter

Natch Bristol Cider

Strongbow

Dry Blackthorn

Guinness

Miller light

Miller GD

Budweiser

Grolsch

Grolsch Amber

Warsteiner

Kopperburgs Apple Cider

Corona

* awaiting new delivery.

As well as

Tiger

Asahi

Kloster

Henieken

Tiger

Leo

Chang

Singha

Archa

Blue Ice

Red Horse

Fullers London Pride

Wadworths 6X

Hobgoblin

Fiddlers Elbow

Spitfire

Bishops Finger

Courage Directors

Holsten Pils

Becks

Theakstons Old Perculiar

There are also about fifty more beers from Belgium (see Belgium beer shop in BKK), france, Spain & Italy, but I decided to stop on 41 brands ( 42 when my Gaymers gets here)

And before you say " Oh they're to expensive" Agreed they cost more than " Cheap Charlie" Thai beers, but most of them are a little cheaper than in their country of origin.

I'm not talking about going into an English pub here and buying a $7 stale import. That runs up a 1 day bar tab that exceeds 50% of this forum's monthly expenses. I just want to be able to walk into a store and buy any fresh import for $2 a pop. cant be done here maestro. I'd love to check out the dates on your imports. I bet that Bud is a year old at least and you got the nerve to charge 200 baht for it. My suggestion to you is scrap your imports as they just sit in your cooler getting more and more stale each passing day. Aged beer is flipping nasty, even nastier that thai brewed sewer water so what's the point

I went out and bought Thailand's most expensive "premium" beer, Heineken last night. I did manage tp put it down w/o wretching somehow. It was a fresh one too with a May 11 date on it. You see the Heines here are not real Heines, they are brewed right here in country and they are horrific. The Heinekens you buy in other countries, real Holland brewed Heines, are lousy also but a whole lot better than this crap. If Old Geezer wants to talk about tariffs, let's talk. Thailand puts the biggest tariffs in the world on imports pushing the prices so high that nobody buys them so you are left with the stalest of $3 a bottle Buds when you can find them. I've never seen a Bud in this country with a born on date less than 9 months prior. Thats like drinking sour milk. and this is thailand so that beer stays on the shelf until sold. nothing gets wasted here. everything is sold even if it kills you

V.B.

Crown

Coopers Pale

Coopers Sparkling Light

Fosters

Fosters Light Ice*

Erdingen Weissen

Erdingen Dunkel Weissen

Erdingen Champ

Diebles Alt*

Paulaner Salvator

Paulaner Pils

Paulaner Lager

Kingfisher

John Smiths*

Newcastle Brown*

Tetleys Bitter

Natch Bristol Cider

Strongbow

Dry Blackthorn

Guinness

Miller light

Miller GD

Budweiser

Grolsch

Grolsch Amber

Warsteiner

Kopperburgs Apple Cider

Corona

* awaiting new delivery.

As well as

Tiger

Asahi

Kloster

Henieken

Tiger

Leo

Chang

Singha

Archa

Blue Ice

Red Horse

Fullers London Pride

Wadworths 6X

Hobgoblin

Fiddlers Elbow

Spitfire

Bishops Finger

Courage Directors

Holsten Pils

Becks

Theakstons Old Perculiar

I'm not talking about going into an English pub here and buying a $7 stale import. That runs up a 1 day bar tab that exceeds 50% of this forum's monthly expenses. I just want to be able to walk into a store and buy any fresh import for $2 a pop. cant be done here maestro. I'd love to check out the dates on your imports. I bet that Bud is a year old at least and you got the nerve to charge 200 baht for it. My suggestion to you is scrap your imports as they just sit in your cooler getting more and more stale each passing day. Aged beer is flipping nasty, even nastier that thai brewed sewer water so what's the point

Actually it's in date.........and I charge 140 for it. Just up from 125.

OK what do you propose. Sounds to me like you're talking <deleted>.

1) From Brewery, in the States( I think you are probably an American) to shop here, takes around

3 months. So you want it the next day. Easy. Hire a private plane to bring all the supplies you want. But as you probably only drink 6 or 7 beers a days, that's two cases you can bring in on every flight before it goes stale. Talk some sense man :D

You sound like the type of person that throws a bottle of Chataux Haut Brion Passac-Longon 1982 away, because it's passed it's sell-by-date. :o

no but I like my beer fresh. check some of your dates on Bud, VB, Miller, Guiness and others and post here. If they are within reason, I'll be right down to drink some. who's talking shit here anyway? takes 3 months to ship Bud over here. ROFL. Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore must have secret miracle shiping technology as I get my Bud there fresher than a month old. How amazing

I went out and bought Thailand's most expensive "premium" beer, Heineken last night. I did manage tp put it down w/o wretching somehow. It was a fresh one too with a May 11 date on it. You see the Heines here are not real Heines, they are brewed right here in country and they are horrific. The Heinekens you buy in other countries, real Holland brewed Heines, are lousy also but a whole lot better than this crap. If Old Geezer wants to talk about tariffs, let's talk. Thailand puts the biggest tariffs in the world on imports pushing the prices so high that nobody buys them so you are left with the stalest of $3 a bottle Buds when you can find them. I've never seen a Bud in this country with a born on date less than 9 months prior. Thats like drinking sour milk. and this is thailand so that beer stays on the shelf until sold. nothing gets wasted here. everything is sold even if it kills you

I am American and I like American beers such as Coors, Michelob and Olympia beer, but IMHO, the local Heineken is just as good as any of them (unless it is off, which happens now and again).

If you are willing to drink Budweiser or Miller, I don't see how you can complain about locally brewed Heiniken. :o

The funny thing is, I used to be drinking * Chang* in the UK at 1.50 a small bottle.(2.50 in restaurants) And John, I have seen Union beer here, but in Germany it's not really regarded as a top beer. Warsteiner is probably the best German beer available here, although I had heard rumours of them brewing Becks in Thailand. Paulaner Salvator is another good beer from Bavaria. Dark, and strong. Almost Barley Wine.

Edited by lampard10

My favourite German beer has just arrived in Thailand: Bitburger. 9 years of waiting have an end!

:D

As for Dortmunder Union: The stereoptype consumer is the unemployed coal miner from Wanne-Eickel who slams it down right at the Kiosk at 8:30 in the morning... :o

I dont know, UG, it just doesnt taste right to me, never has. I can explain it, maybe it's the water or something here

Maybe it's because I was here so long with just Singh beer - which I despise - that I am most greatful for Heineken! :o

Walk into any liquor store in the US and they have 100 different brands.

And every local one of them is <deleted>. :o

But "Bitters"??? :D Isn't that the stuff they draw up outta the celler in the UK that looks like used Motor Oil! You've gotta be raised on that stuff to appreciate it, I'm sure! :D

Well when all you red necks are raised on is piss water lager, I'm not surprised that your image of a REAL beer is squewiff - even Aussieland has a better choice. I have a Canadian friend who thought that the North American beer was the shit and poo poo'd UK beer as crappy, warm garbage. His view soon changed when he came over for a visit and couldn't get enough of it. Always asking me to send some real beer over for him and pee'd off with the pathetic offering in the stores and bars over there... mind you he is from Canada :D

If you ever get the chance to sup a pint of Worthingtons Creamflow, don't hold back :D