applying for sicial security in Thailand

watgate

I will staying in Thailand (primarily in Chiang Mai) this October and will be there for 5 months. I will be eligible for social security next January 2015 and was told that I could apply in November 2014. My question(s) are will I be able to apply online while in Thailand? If not, then will I be able to apply at the consulate office in Chiang Mai or will I have to apply online in the Philippines? I understand a lot of business with social security issues is transacted in the Philippines by expats living abroad. Any correct information concerning my applying for social security benefits while in Thailand would be appreciated.

If you plan to stay in Thailand long-term then, yes indeed you can visit the U.S. consulate in CM to get started on the application process. They'll forward the paperwork to Manila who will call you for your interview. But, if you're just visiting and plan to live long-term in the U.S. then it's best to start the process on-line and use your U.S. address. You may have to use a computer with a IP cloak or else the SS website may try to refer you to Manila if it thinks you're logging in from Thailand.

Incidentally, if you're resident in Thailand, you can apply here, deal with the Manila SS office by phone and email and use a Thai address, yet have the SS deposited each month to a U.S. bank account. That's what we do with Hubby's check. Many people, though, who live here full-time chose to have their check deposited to their local Bangkok Bank account, the only Thai bank authorized to accept direct deposit of SS benefits.

Edited by NancyL