Advice / help regarding Wife moving to the uk.

I guess my case is far from unique, so I’m sorry if I’m asking you to go over well trodden ground.

My wife and I have been married, (all done properly) in Thailand for 10 years, we’ve lived together in Thailand for those 10 years and more.

We’ve had 2 children. Our daughter, (she’s currently 7) has a British passport, our son has yet to get one, but it will be done soon.

My wife naturally speaks and understands English to a high level after being married to me for 10 years, and being able to speak the language before she met me.

I’m going back to the UK next month to work, I have work already, and it is self-employed work. I will earn well over the 18000 pounds base line.

I own a house in the UK, which I’ve had for about 15 years.

I plan to come back in October, and then start the application for my wife’s spouse visa. Obviously, nothing needs to be done regarding the kids.

This is how I understand it at present.

In October, I need to show mortgage statement to prove I own the house.

I also need to show a tax return from form the Inland Revenue of 6 months earnings to prove I earn over the base amount.

After this point I’m not really sure what we need to do, so any help after this point is gratefully received. What should my wife be doing in the meantime?

Again, I’m sorry if I’m getting posters to repeat stuff. If you know you’ve posted on a similar topic, give me a link!

Thanks

I think you might have received some wrong information. If you are meeting the financial requirement ( which is 18,600 GBP) from self - employment, then you will need to provide quite a lot of documentation, including a full year's self - assessment tax return, not 6 months. Unless you are intending to show evidence of self - employment under the CIS scheme ? That's different.

If you need any assistance, you can contact the office for a free initial assessment. Click on the avatar for details of how to contact the office.

Tony M

Yes, sorry I'm a sub-contractor and will be employed under the CIS scheme.

Under the CIS scheme you will be treated as a salaried employee. You don't, therefore, need a tax return form. What you do need is this :

(a) Payslips covering:
(i) a period of 6 months prior to the date of application if the person has been employed by their current employer for at least 6 months (and where paragraph
13(b ) of this Appendix does not apply); or
(ii) any period of salaried employment in the period of 12 months prior to the date of application if the person has been employed by their current employer for less than 6 months (or at least 6 months but the person does not rely on paragraph 13(a) of this Appendix), or in the financial year(s) relied upon by a self-employed person.
(b ) A letter from the employer(s) who issued the payslips at paragraph 2(a) confirming:
(i) the person's employment and gross annual salary;
(ii) the length of their employment;
(iii) the period over which they have been or were paid the level of salary relied upon in the application; and
(iv) the type of employment (permanent, fixed-term contract or agency).
© Personal bank statements corresponding to the same period(s) as the payslips at paragraph 2(a), showing that the salary has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.
Tony M
Edited by ThaiVisaExpress

Thanks, that doesn't sound too difficult.

So based on that info we can start the application in October.

I just read in another thread about proof of being in a relationship, I'm guessing piles of photos going back over a decade, marriage certs from 10 years ago, one 7 year old child and a 2 year old, a Thai bank book going back more than 10 years and joint visa statements on a single account will be enough proof that it's a real relationship right? LOL

How about the house in the uk? Mortgage statement enough for that?

As I said in the other topic; proving the relationship is genuine for someone in your position, married and living together in Thailand for a number of years, is easy.

More difficult for a couple who have never lived together, except for holidays, and only known each other a few months!

Mortgage statement to show who owns the property.

If that's you, plus a description of the property and who else lives there, if anyone, to show that there is sufficient accommodation for you all.

If you don't own the property and will be staying with a friend or family member then a letter of invitation from whoever this is, again describing the property and who else lives there to show that there is room for you.

You may find UK settlement visa basics helpful.

Edited by 7by7

Thanks, that doesn't sound too difficult.

So based on that info we can start the application in October.

I just read in another thread about proof of being in a relationship, I'm guessing piles of photos going back over a decade, marriage certs from 10 years ago, one 7 year old child and a 2 year old, a Thai bank book going back more than 10 years and joint visa statements on a single account will be enough proof that it's a real relationship right? LOL

How about the house in the uk? Mortgage statement enough for that?

You will need to show that you meet the annual financial requirement. If you have only been employed for 6 months, you will need to provide all wage slips, divide the total by 6, then multiply that figure by 12. If it doesn't reach 18,600 GBP then you haven't met the requirement.

Tony M

Thanks.

I have skim read the sticky 7by7 prior to posting. I'm guessing it's is / was and on going item. Gets kind of confusing when you're just looking for information to your own specific case though. No offense intended.

Tony, i understand that point. I'll pass no problem. One question is would the threshold rise because i have 2 kids, even though they're already British nationals? Also is that gross or net?

Edited by classic-chassis

As your children are British nationals and so do not require visas, they are not included in the financial requirement.

It's gross.

And none taken. The pinned topic is intended as a starting point, answering many common, basic questions; writing one to cover all eventualities would fill many pages!

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

So, for my wife, she needs to do the A1 English test, is this something which is scheduled after the submittable of you application, or should she do it under her own steam before we submit an application?

If so where?

Yes she will need to pass the test before she submits her application, a valid pass certificate needs to be submitted with the application.

This is the link to the accepted test providers https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-applying-for-uk-visa-approved-english-language-tests

unless somebody has a Thailand specific list, I'm afraid you will have to work your way through it.

This is the link to the accepted test providers https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-applying-for-uk-visa-approved-english-language-tests

unless somebody has a Thailand specific list, I'm afraid you will have to work your way through it.

As far as I am aware, the list of approved providers in Thailand in the pinned topic is still up to date.

These are:-

PEARSON

Pearson Professional Center Bangkok Business Building Level 10, Unit 10-10 54, Thanon Sukhumvit Soi 21, Bangkok Thailand, 10110

TOEIC

Center for Professional Assessment - Bangkok Suite 1907, Bangkok Business Building 54 Asoke Road, Sukhumvit 21 Bangkok 10110 Thailand +66 (0) 2260 7061 +66 (0) 22664 3122

Center for Professional Assessment - Chiang Mai Nawarat Building 3rd Floor Kaeo Nawarat Soi 3 Amphur Muang Chiangmai 50000 Thailand

BULATS

Vantage Siam Co. Ltd. 65/213 Chamnan Phenjati Building, 25th Floor, Rama 9 Road, Huay Kwang, Bangkok. 10310

Classic-chassis, KET is an approved test; but it doesn't seem to be available in Thailand.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi

it's time for me to bring this thread back up. Need advice please.

I've been back in the uk for 4 months, I've already surpassed the finacial requirements in amont earned, ive been employed under the CIS scheme working in construction. I have monthly pay slips with bank statements which also show all payments. Sometimes it shows a monthly payment because I work on price and don't get paid weekly.

I have my latest mortgage statement which shows I own a house.

My wife has done an English test with vantage.

as previously stated we've been married 10 years and have a lot of pictures, plus my old passport to prove we've been living together for more than 10 years. Both our kids are now british passport holders.

other that the regular documents, do we need anything else? My wife seems to think she needs a medical cert pertaining to TB or lack thereof.

can anyone add anything or offer any advice. I guess the next step is to apply and book an appointment.

thanks in advance

Just to add sorry, in October when we apply I'll have 6 months of pay slips ans bank statements. I can also get a letter from my employer stating whatever I want if I wish.

The letter should just say the truth, don't embellish anything. If the contents of the letter are cross checked and found to be false the application will fail.

Hi

it's time for me to bring this thread back up. Need advice please.

I've been back in the uk for 4 months, I've already surpassed the finacial requirements in amont earned, ive been employed under the CIS scheme working in construction. I have monthly pay slips with bank statements which also show all payments. Sometimes it shows a monthly payment because I work on price and don't get paid weekly.

I have my latest mortgage statement which shows I own a house.

My wife has done an English test with vantage.

as previously stated we've been married 10 years and have a lot of pictures, plus my old passport to prove we've been living together for more than 10 years. Both our kids are now british passport holders.

other that the regular documents, do we need anything else? My wife seems to think she needs a medical cert pertaining to TB or lack thereof.

can anyone add anything or offer any advice. I guess the next step is to apply and book an appointment.

thanks in advance

Yes she will need a certificate that she is free from TB. I think there is only one place in the whole of Thailand that can facilitate this. The office is very close to Patpong in Bangkok. She goes there first and they then send her to a hospital for the test. If she is all clear everything can be done in a day and costs about THB3,500. If there is any doubt that she is not clear of it then she has to be retested over a longer period.

Personally I cannot really see the point of all this nonsense but there it is.

I mean as in the truth, I.e this oerson has constant work or I've paid this person the amount of.....

not talking about lying.

So I need a letter from my employer?

I'm sorry but I misunderstood, your comment "stating whatever I want if I wish".

The requirement is for payslips and evidence from the employer, they are detailed here:Financial_Requirement_Guidance_20140324 (1).pdf

5.6.1. The evidence required to demonstrate income from salaried employment (and, by virtue of paragraph 18(d), non-salaried employment) is specified in Appendix FM-SE:

2. In respect of salaried employment in the UK (except where paragraph 9 applies1), all of the following evidence must be provided:

(a) Payslips covering:

(i) a period of 6 months prior to the date of application if the person has been employed by their current employer for at least 6 months (and where paragraph 13 of this Appendix does not apply); or (ii) any period of salaried employment in the period of 12 months prior to the date of application if the person has been employed by their current employer for less than 6 months (or at least 6 months but the person does not rely on paragraph 13(a) of this Appendix), or in the financial year(s) relied upon by a self-employed person.

(A letter from the employer(s) who issued the payslips at paragraph 2(a) confirming:

(i) the person's employment and gross annual salary; (ii) the length of their employment; (iii) the period over which they have been or were paid the level of salary relied upon in the application; and (iv) the type of employment (permanent, fixed-term contract or agency).

© Personal bank statements corresponding to the same period(s) as the payslips at paragraph 2(a), showing that the salary has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.

(d) Where the person is a director of a limited company based in the UK, evidence that the company is not a type specified in paragraph 9(a). This can include the latest Annual Return filed at Companies House.

In addition to the evidence listed above, paragraph 2A of Appendix FM-SE specifies that P60(s) for the relevant period(s) of employment (if issued) and a signed contract(s) of employment may also be submitted in respect of paid employment in the UK. If they are not submitted, the decision-maker may grant the application if otherwise satisfied that the requirements of Appendix FM-SE relating to that employment are met, or they may ask for the documents to be submitted in accordance with paragraph D of the Appendix.

<snip> My wife seems to think she needs a medical cert pertaining to TB or lack thereof.

Yes she will need a certificate that she is free from TB. I think there is only one place in the whole of Thailand that can facilitate this. The office is very close to Patpong in Bangkok. She goes there first and they then send her to a hospital for the test. If she is all clear everything can be done in a day and costs about THB3,500. If there is any doubt that she is not clear of it then she has to be retested over a longer period.

Personally I cannot really see the point of all this nonsense but there it is.

The address is:-

Kasemkij Building

8th Floor

120 Silom Road

Bangrak

Bangkok 10500

Tel: +66 2 234 7950-5Fax: +66 2 234 7956

See Tuberculosis testing in Thailand for more details.

TB testing is not pointless nonsense.

How common is TB?

Before antibiotics were introduced, TB was a major health problem in the UK. Nowadays, the condition is much less common. However, in the last 20 years TB cases have gradually increased, particularly among ethnic minority communities who are originally from places where TB is more common.

Source

Hence the requirement for a TB certificate for immigrants from countries, like Thailand, where TB is more common.

I remember the days of mass chest X-rays in mobile units to test the population for TB. I remember the days of TB sanatoria. I remember the days of people dying of TB in the UK.

Does anyone really want a return to those days merely to save their partner the inconvenience of obtaining a TB certificate?

In addition, if they do have it, wouldn't you want to find out sooner rather than later?

7by7 you are right TB is a dangerous disease - my grandmother died of it at the age of 35. I don't want to hijack this thread but imo the testing is a nonsense for a number of reasons. Please PM me if you want me to explain these reasons. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Another line of enquiry I have is regarding driving while in the uk.

When my wife arrives will she be able to apply for a provisional licence and then take the full test? If not what other options are there which will allow her to drive here?

She can drive in the UK for up to twelve months on her Thai licence, after twelve months she must apply for a provisional licence and take a test. I assume, but don't know for sure, that she could take a test in the 12 month period.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y/a-resident-of-great-britain/full-car-and-or-motorcycle/any-other-country

I think getting insurance might be the biggest issue.

Another line of enquiry I have is regarding driving while in the uk.

When my wife arrives will she be able to apply for a provisional licence and then take the full test? If not what other options are there which will allow her to drive here?

She can drive in the UK for up to twelve months on her Thai licence, after twelve months she must apply for a provisional licence and take a test. I assume, but don't know for sure, that she could take a test in the 12 month period.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y/a-resident-of-great-britain/full-car-and-or-motorcycle/any-other-country

I think getting insurance might be the biggest issue.

My thoughts exactly.

Getting the insurance may be an obstacle

Car insurance has come up a number of times before!

I am insured with NFU and they added my wife as a named driver, using her Thai licence, without extra cost but one look at a roundabout and a gear stick made her re-think and apply for a UK provisional licence and learn to drive from fresh!

If she does something wrong when driving on a Thai licence there is no points system so the case would go to court if appropriate. This could lead to a conviction that may complicate later applications especially for citizenship. A good reason to get a UK licence ASAP.

• Like 1

She can, and should, obtain a provisional licence as soon as she enters the UK.

She can then take any necessary lessons with a professional instructor and take her test before her 12 months are up and so continue driving.

For various, mainly insurance, reasons, an instructor will not take her out until she has her UK provisional licence.

Might be best using an agency, if you get the correct one (a very good one already commented on your posts - from experience) they will ensure all your documents are in line and ready to go

i was ready to submit my wife and child's application and when it has been reviewed it appears it was lacking in some very important areas!

if i had submitted i would have waited 3 months and got a decline!! is it really worth (for the sake of what in reality is a small sum of money) risking missing something out.

i will give you an example i am recieve my salary every month and as a Director i pay our staff the wages, when i pay myself i also include my ad-hoc expenses and then the accountant allocates accordingly. This however means my wageslips and bank statements differ, what i have now found out can cause a problem!

Had i not engaged an Agent this seamingly small detail could have been missed and lead to a rejection and in effect a delay of 3 months +

Each to their own and i am sure there will be a flurry of posts saying its easy to do it yourself, i prefer to have another proffesional eye cast over this and make sure all is done properly.

if you want to know my experience with the two agencys i have used please send me a PM and i am happy to discuss, but as mentioned the one who commented already is processing my application for me and are very good and proffesional.

• Like 2

She can, and should, obtain a provisional licence as soon as she enters the UK.

She can then take any necessary lessons with a professional instructor and take her test before her 12 months are up and so continue driving.

But don't let her dispute any fixed penalty notices in the 24 months leading up to the ILR application (Immigration Rule S-ILR.1.6)!