time needed between arrival to Swampy and flight out to CM

bina

if i arrive (and that may be a big if, coming through kiev) at around 2:30 pm to suvanaphum how much time do i need to go through all the passport/luggage stuff and then make it to a chiang mai flight? is getting a 7:00 pm flight optimistic ? or less even?

and a dumber question. what happens if my UIA flight is delayed and i am booked on a chiang mai flight that i booked myself? have i lost it? or do i get bumped to the next outgoing flight? having not travelled much overseas i havnet a clue.

i want to book but not sure what time. i know that flights from suvanaphum are more expensive (for me that is) but thats the situation unless someone has a better idea (go to DM? or not worth the bother?)

More than enough time if your flight is not delayed by more than 2 hours. As for the onward flight I would assume given origin and destination it's on Thai ? In this case worth the extra compared to the alternative, the trek to Don Muang to Air Asia, miss check in by 1 minute on AA and that's it, no refunds, though they will sell your seat back to you smile.png. If its TG (Thai) then they are in less of a hurry to close the gate and would put you on the next flight anyway. The rules are that the first airline is responsible for any delays that result in missed connections. In practice most airlines work together on this and will do their best to sort the problem. The exception are the LCC's like AA who are strictly point to point carriers, they get you get there late, your problem.

Edited by roamer

...miss check in by 1 minute on AA and that's it, no refunds, though they will sell your seat back to you smile.png.

I'm not a big fan of sitting on a Nok Air flight whilst they allow late arrivals to board ten minutes after the scheduled take off time. I've paid my fare and reasonably expect it to take off on time where possible.

• Like 1

What airlines? If you're flying Thai or Bangkok Airways to CM can't you ask your originating airline to check your baggage through and transit Swampy? You can then go through Immigration at CNX rather than having to do it at BKK.

What airlines? If you're flying Thai or Bangkok Airways to CM can't you ask your originating airline to check your baggage through and transit Swampy? You can then go through Immigration at CNX rather than having to do it at BKK.

"you can then go through immigration at CNX"

You would clear Immigration in BKK, at the domestic-transfer immigration-desks (usually relatively uncrowded) after getting your boarding-pass at the TG/PG transfer-desks, and clear only Customs in CNX.

Returning you would indeed clear Immigration at CNX, before flying down to Swampy.

Edited by Ricardo

I'd say it's plenty of time and you should be fine.

If there is a delay though then there are no obligations regards to the onward carrier since you have booked on seperate tickets so don't take it for granted you will be transferred to a later flight should this happen.

Also the preceding airline aren't obliged to check your baggage through to your final destination but there is no harm in asking at check in.

hi thank you all for explicit answers:

1. havent as yet booked because i wanted to get info first

2. im doing the booking thru the internet and i dont see ukraine air checking my bags thru to cm; i prefer to see that they ahvent arrived while im still in bangkok, ill get my bag and go on to cm flight

3. dont know which company and now understand that since its not a thru booked connecting flight, it wont wait for me

4. dont think i will go thru DM as will be jet lagged and not thinking clearly, prefer to stay in same airport anf find next connection..

5. thanx for clalifying the domestic immigrations etc... i would never have thought of that...or looked for it.

6. after visiting in CM i will be taking either train or bus to korat. still working on that detail of the trip. i have to get to soegn soeng, khok bahn soon to my husband's village... so checking out possibilities...

7. wooloo... i hope next time u wil be on a delalyed flight and your connecting wont wait...

one more question: in the domestics flight area, are there places to get SIM cards for samsung android, with internet package? as i will need to switch phones over while there, before i continue on to next stage of trip... i know the sim's exist, just want to know where in relation to everything else, cost, suggestions... (i will be giving said info to husband also as he is flying in to thailand weeks before me and msut switch sim cards also...

what is TG/PG desk? sorry, as i said , im not a world traveller... more at ease on a camel or donkey...

TG is Thai Airlines code, PG is Bangkok Airways. Just look for the transfer desk. Staff quite helpful unless they have the hump rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...