What has Thailand become?

khunpa

This is the issue in Thailand today. Does it really want progress, or is it happy sitting in a second world limbo? Because if it doesn't jump to 1st, its likely to slip to 3rd world.

'Second world' referred to the soviet eastern bloc - it's not some sort of halfway house between first and third world. In any case these terms are somewhat archaic now.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you so rightly point out, every country is in the process of change. Indeed the entire universe is constantly changing. Corruption has grown to become a huge beast here and up until the last coup, I would have said there is nothing to change that. I now believe that the new PM has the ability (and the know how) to put LOS back on track. It will take time but the signs are that this is a serious attempt to right many wrongs here.

Up until about a week ago I would have agreed with you entirely about the new Pm, but now, after the Koh Tao incident I am beginning to think that the new regime is "the same as the old one".

They have cut down on a lot of the small corruption cases but when we talk about the really rich and powerful then I think nothing has changed.

Edited by petedk

As you so rightly point out, every country is in the process of change. Indeed the entire universe is constantly changing. Corruption has grown to become a huge beast here and up until the last coup, I would have said there is nothing to change that. I now believe that the new PM has the ability (and the know how) to put LOS back on track. It will take time but the signs are that this is a serious attempt to right many wrongs here.

Up until about a week ago I would have agreed with you entirely about the new Pm, but now, after the Koh Tao incident I am beginning to think that the new regime is "the same as the old one".

They have cut down on a lot of the small corruption cases but when we talk about the really rich and powerful then I think nothing has changed.

With your mindset....if you were a thai....you would have known it earlier.....one can only imagine of likewise situations, thai to thai related, which are only posted in the thai language newspapers or...even worse maybe....dont make it to the press at all.

This is the issue in Thailand today. Does it really want progress, or is it happy sitting in a second world limbo? Because if it doesn't jump to 1st, its likely to slip to 3rd world.

'Second world' referred to the soviet eastern bloc - it's not some sort of halfway house between first and third world. In any case these terms are somewhat archaic now.

In terms of legal and social development they are relevant. If the only option is 1st or 3rd, then Thailand is 3rd.

They either commit to go forward or will go backwards.

There is an interesting article in the Bangkok Post today about how greed and corruption are slowly ruining Thailand's tourist industry.

It mentions that the Thai smile and hospitality has nearly disappeared in tourist areas.