Quite urgent Ownership Transfer/Green Book question ..

hendo

Hello. I am about to buy a motorbike from a Thai man. He claims that we can simply go to any Yamaha dealership and they

will execute the transfer of ownership, presumably issuing a new Green Book in my name. I'm completely new to buying any

vehicle in Thailand. I am accustomed to having to do this sort of thing through some governmental department of motor

vehicles, or somesuch. Will this mean that is the end of any paperwork [.. barring paying the insurance, tax, etc, which is a

separate matter]? If it is that simple and it means we don't have to queue up in a govt. bulding, that is great news.

So, is he right, or is this just the first phase in getting ownership and new papers?

Many thanks,

H

No new green book is issued, the new owner will be noted on the existing one. As a foreigner you will need a certificate of residency from local immigration office. You can use a service agency like Boss to have it done and save time and misunderstandings at the Land Transport office.

Almost always there is no problem using an agency.

If you want 100% certainty, go with seller to Land Transport Department and get book in your name before handing you money to a stranger.

When I went the agency route buying a 2nd-hand 2011 CBR 150 last year, the fee was 3000baht.

When I went directly to DLT, for transfer of 2nd-hand 2011CBR 250 last week, the fee was 300baht.

While you wait for book (2hrs for me) acquire your Thai drivers license.

Take a read. Have lunch. Play some video. No biggie.

PM me if you need further.
Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

Transferring a bikes ownership is not rocket science and you should always do by yourself. Search the forum and you will find advice and most DLT staff is quote helpful; keep on smiling!

Edited by Hili
  • Like 1

What to do if the green book is full? Will the buyer get a new one right away or need to wait a while? Will he keep the old GB while waiting for a new one?

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

Wow, that would be one interesting Green Book if it were full. Bought & sold many, many times. I would ask why, or just move one. I bought from a second party 18 months ago. Used an agent. Cost was 800 baht total for everything. Received the GreenBook with my name in it 2 and a half months later. No problem in going to DLT after that to renew.

What to do if the green book is full? Will the buyer get a new one right away or need to wait a while? Will he keep the old GB while waiting for a new one?

Wow, that would be one interesting Green Book if it were full. Bought & sold many, many times. I would ask why, or just move one. I bought from a second party 18 months ago. Used an agent. Cost was 800 baht total for everything. Received the GreenBook with my name in it 2 and a half months later. No problem in going to DLT after that to renew.

It's not as many as I think you think. There's only enough room for like 5 or 6 names in there. Let me try to recall - the guy who imported the bike was the 1st owner, the 2nd entry is the same guy but the bike's color was changed, so I was told it was necessary to re-register it again, 3rd entry (2nd owner) was some germad dude, 4th entry (3rd owner) is Dane who I gut the bike from so I'm the 4th owner (5th entry) and there's no more pages left for the next owner. The bike is 9 years old with 55K km on the clock, I personally put arount 10K on it I believe.

So my original questions stays. :)

I have just looked at the green book for my Honda CB400 and as Shurup says there is only room for 6 changes or alterations of ownership.

At the 7th change a new green book will be issued and the DLT will retain the old book with the number entered into the new book.

In the OPs case for me I would prefer to get it done at the nearest DLT as if there is a problem, and there shouldn't be, it will be found at the DLT.

If the Thai owner doesn't want to do this I would think hard about buying the bike. There are millions of bikes in Thailand and the number of problems are very small, but for me I would rather be safe than sorry.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

do it yourself ,there is no need to pay for 3rd party fixers anymore unless the bike is dodgy (grey import or false book etc )

over the years ive bought and sold about 40 vehicles and the procedure

gets easier and faster every time you do it because youl know which counters

to visit in which order etc

I wonder why nobody asked the OP, if the bike is from the same province?

If not, the transfer can be much more complicated!

For example: If you live in Pattaya and buy a bike from another province, you have to go three times to the DLT Chonburi.

Additionally, on your second visit, you have to show the bike at the DLT. (if not connected somehow...whistling.gif)

And if something goes wrong.......

Too much hassle for the average Thai, especially if the buyer pays all agency fees!

EDIT: And it is absolutely possible to get a new green book, even if the old one is NOT full.

Edited by Turkleton

Not true, there are a few options to transfer the ownership. One is to go with the book to the DLT in your province where you reside, another option is to do it in the DLT of the province where the bike is registered.

I bought my 1st bike in Phuket, did a transfer in Phuket and rode it back to Chaiyabhoom the same day. Never had to visit the DLT in my province. I was told it takes a few days to transfer the name in the book but for a little extra they did it the same day.

Edit to add: sorry should have said it probably depends on the DLT office, instead of saying it's not true. My experience wad quite different than yours.

Edited by Shurup

One is to go with the book to the DLT in your province where you reside

That's what I said, in my case Chonburi, even if I stay in Pattaya and we have an own DLT too.

But it is NOT possible, to keep the plates from another province.

You have to change both, name and plate!

And this means three visits!

Fact.

another option is to do it in the DLT of the province where the bike is registered.

Correct, but if you (and the seller) stay in Hua Hin for example but the bike is from Chiang Rai?

Travel with the seller AND THE BIKE to CR? Nah...

Even if you do that, you can only change the name in the book, but not the plate!

Never had to visit the DLT in my province...

Yepp, but if you want to sell the bike later, you are running in the same "problems", or transfer the bike in your province first...

It's much easier to sell a bike with a plate from the same province, in which you stay.

I was told it takes a few days to transfer the name in the book but for a little extra they did it the same day

My wife (a so called "agent") has transferred bikes (only name, not plates) in Chonburi, different Bangkok DLT's and a few other.

And it was always done in one day.

Maybe Phuket is different (or they tried to extort a little extra money)

However, some things might be different in other provinces, but I have referred to Pattaya/Chonburi, so everything is absolutely correct.

Edited by Turkleton

Turkleton blogged:

That's what I said, in my case Chonburi, even if I stay in Pattaya and we have an own DLT too.

Fact...................

Well, I live in Pattaya and have greenbooks in my name for 5 vehicles:

1. The car has Buriram plates

2. The Nouvo has Bangkok plate

3. The Raider has Chiang Mai plate

4. The 150 CBR has Surat Thani plate

5. The CBR 250 has Pattaya plate.

No problems.

And THAT is a FACT, Jack

Edited by papa al

No problems.

And THAT is a FACT, Jack

Tell us how that is done, because i went to change name for a Khon Kaen bike to Pattaya and was told I had to change plates as well because I reside in a different province.

That is the same as it was in my country when plates were issues at provoincial level many years ago.

No problems.

And THAT is a FACT, Jack

Tell us how that is done, because i went to change name for a Khon Kaen bike to Pattaya and was told I had to change plates as well because I reside in a different province.

That is the same as it was in my country when plates were issues at provoincial level many years ago.

Not sure how is done but I still ride around with Phuket LP. Recently renewed the insurance and tax and kept the Phuket plate.

My new bike was bought in another province as well. When the new plate arrived it was a plate for another province, screwed it on and keep riding.

FACT

Not sure how is done but I still ride around with Phuket LP. Recently renewed the insurance and tax and kept the Phuket plate.

My new bike was bought in another province as well. When the new plate arrived it was a plate for another province, screwed it on and keep riding.

FACT

Renewing tax/insurance is not a problem and can be done without having green book in hand.

Did you presented a certificate of residence when you bought these vehicles? Assuming these are in your true name.

FACT

Renewing tax/insurance is not a problem and can be done without having green book in hand.

Did you presented a certificate of residence when you bought these vehicles? Assuming these are in your true name.

differnt offices have differnt rules on differnrt days

i was asked if i wanted to keep the chonburi plates on my ninja or get a new one that says BKK on it

i chose to have a new plate and book reg in bkk to save riding to chonburi DLT in case i wanted to sell it

later i found out i could have chnaged it from chonburi DLT to bkk in bkk WITHOUT riding back to chonburi

the DLT lady asked us did we come all the way from bkk to do this when we could have just did it there ? lol

welcome to thailand .......:D

• Like 1

I have a work permit but top make it easier I put them bikes on wife's name.

Then your wife "tambien baan" address is within the province of the plates.

Otherwise they have bent the rules "thai helps a thai", not so easy for a foreigner.

Edited by paz

later i found out i could have chnaged it from chonburi DLT to bkk in bkk WITHOUT riding back to chonburi

the DLT lady asked us did we come all the way from bkk to do this when we could have just did it there ? lol

welcome to thailand .......biggrin.png

Riding to sell is never needed, for example Boss Services being an authorized DLT agent can do the required chassis/engine number verification and exhaust gas check on DLT behalf. They would also have got the new plates in my case mentioned above.

Riding to sell is never needed, for example Boss Services being an authorized DLT agent can do the required chassis/engine number verification and exhaust gas check on DLT behalf. They would also have got the new plates in my case mentioned above.

why would i pay an agent 10x times the fee for something that i or anyone else can easily do myself ?

I have a work permit but top make it easier I put them bikes on wife's name.

Then your wife "tambien baan" address is within the province of the plates.

Otherwise they have bent the rules "thai helps a thai", not so easy for a foreigner.

Wife's tambien baan is in chaiyabhoom, nowhere near Phuket. The second bike is also at least a few provinces apart.

Don't know if they bent the rules or what, I think it's the case of every DLT office is different with their own rules, or perhaps a case of a little man wants to play a big boss and makes folks running around changing plates unnecessarily.

why would i pay an agent 10x times the fee for something that i or anyone else can easily do myself ?

It is not ten times. I paid at DLT for a 110c transfer and was perhaps 3 or 400 Bt. Boss asks 500 or so for the same service. Then if you have more fun DYI at DLT for a 3 USD difference.. up to you.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Almost always there is no problem using an agency.

If you want 100% certainty, go with seller to Land Transport Department and get book in your name before handing you money to a stranger.

When I went the agency route buying a 2nd-hand 2011 CBR 150 last year, the fee was 3000baht.

When I went directly to DLT, for transfer of 2nd-hand 2011CBR 250 last week, the fee was 300baht.

3k to let someone else fill in your form or 300 to fill it in yourself ?

welcome to thailand .......biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

It is not ten times. I paid at DLT for a 110c transfer and was perhaps 3 or 400 Bt. Boss asks 500 or so for the same service. Then if you have more fun DYI at DLT for a 3 USD difference.. up to you.

there is no reason to pay someone for this unless you really want to ,ive done it over 40 times and it only gets quicker (an hour sometimes and its done )

but whatever floats your boat smile.png

Edited by speedtripler

My Kawi 650 2011 is only a 2 owner bike I am the second owner I filled up my green book & had a new one issued the next day. If you do a bunch of mods IE: paint jobs or lose the license plate & have the DLT misspell your name twice it will eat up many pages. No big deal for the same owner to max out the book means nothing.But if the book shows many owners I would wonder what is wrong with the bike or what is so special that everyone keeps on buying it as a collectors bike(for resale).

We live in Khampaeng Phet province.

The pickup truck is 13 years old this year and still on BKK plates in my wifes name.

The Yamaha scooter is in my wifes name in KPP.

My Honda Phantom I bought in NST 5 years ago, did the transfer there no problem but at renewal time it got a KPP plate.

My Honda CB400 I bought in Pattaya in Dec 2012 on Rayong plates and at the renewal in KPP it still kept the Rayong plates.

I am retired and I do have a yellow tabien ban book but why they transfer one Honda to KPP and not the other I have no idea.

Turkleton blogged:

Fact...................

No problems.

And THAT is a FACT, Jack

You bought it and changed names in Buriram ?

You bought it and changed names in Bangkok ?

You bought it and changed names in Chaing Mai ?

You bought it and changed names in Surat Thani ?

You bought it and changed names in Pattaya ?

Turkleton is saying for example if you had bought that Raider with a Chaing Mai plate in Pattaya

you would either have had to go to Chaing Mai to change the name ( keep Chaing Mai plate )

or go to the Chonburi DLT ( not the one near to Regents School the one 60 KM from Pattaya ) at least twice

maybe 3 times to change the name ( they insist you get a Chonburi Plate too )

If you used an "agent" then I suppose anything is possible if they have the right connections.