and i though US banks were crooks

yourauntbob

So I have had a really bad week with the banks here in Thailand. First, my ATM card starts falling apart after only about 6-8 months of use. So I go to the bank and ask for a new one since the old one no longer functions. The light blue bank has the nerve to charge me 100 baht for the replacement card. I just paid them 100 baht a few months ago for this POS. If i lose my card and they need to make a new one for me due to my error i understand, but it was their crappy plastic that didnt hold together. <deleted> (number 1).

A few days later I go to use said card online to place an order. The card goes through with a reputable company i have purchased from several times before. The next day the company sends me an email saying the bank blocked the charge due to fraud protection. OK, not sure why but at least i can give them the benefit of the doubt that they were trying to prevent money from leaving my account. I go to the ATM 2 days later and notice that the money for the purchase has not returned. So I stop at the bank on the way home and after some translation help and an hour of her typing away on her keyboard they dont know what happened and are not sure when they can return the money. So they block the transaction and dont return the money? Why is it taking time to put the money back in my account? (<deleted> number 2)

Today I stop at good old green bank and try to deposit some money in a friends account. Said friend lives in the Pattaya area. They want me to pay a 30 baht charge to deposit money. (<deleted> number 3) I have never heard of a bank doing this before, the thieving US banks (not all but some) have nothing on Thailand thats for sure, this country certainly finds a way to bend you over at every corner.

I could go off on a rant now but why waste more time................

• Like 1

Nearly all banks charge 30 baht or so for inter province ATM/branch transfers, no big deal, you're not being ripped off.

And I haven't heard of a bank card falling apart of its own accord but sorry if yours has.

Overall it sounds like you've just had a bad day, perhaps time to chill out and relax?

I keep as little as poss in banks ,Im a firm believer that banks & government agencies can't be trusted .I stay here on a tourist visa because I refuse to reveal any wealth to get a visa where I need not go on visa runs. I have turned my runs into top trips rather than missions. However it is my misstrust & the certainty that officials when then know you have something want to get their grubby hands on it.

The banks are the same just different scam. I couldn't believe they charged for putting money in one of their own accounts robbing Bs

Nearly all banks charge 30 baht or so for inter province ATM/branch transfers, no big deal, you're not being ripped off.

And I haven't heard of a bank card falling apart of its own accord but sorry if yours has.

Overall it sounds like you've just had a bad day, perhaps time to chill out and relax?

the back plastic film was peeling off. it happens sometimes, all it takes is one corner to not be glued properly and it doesn't take long before it starts peeling off every time you swipe it. .not a big problem, but they could see that i hadnt abused the card and could have simply had the courtesy to replace it free of charge.

I keep as little as poss in banks ,Im a firm believer that banks & government agencies can't be trusted .I stay here on a tourist visa because I refuse to reveal any wealth to get a visa where I need not go on visa runs. I have turned my runs into top trips rather than missions. However it is my misstrust & the certainty that officials when then know you have something want to get their grubby hands on it.

The banks are the same just different scam. I couldn't believe they charged for putting money in one of their own accounts robbing Bs

so do you keep your money under your mattress? dont invite ladyboys home thats the first place they look....lol.

• Like 1

I don't get it that people think that banking services should be free. How will they make money.. ok maybe by using your money in a way (as a factor) when they loan money out. But they need to be competitive when loaning out so they cant make enough profit so they charge for other services. Sounds about right to me.

Not going into a discussion about the price of banking services.. but free... of course not.

yourauntbob.. and if it was 200bt for a better one that lasted longer you might have said it was expensive.. You get what you pay for i guess. (my bank card from the Netherlands is falling apart again, the Thai one is still good because its used less)

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Always good to meet a conspiracy theorist who is anxious to avoid "Government" !

Always good to meet a conspiracy theorist who is anxious to avoid "Government" !

Im not sure how these guys survive in the modern world- must be always looking over their shoulders for those pesky agents with dark glasses.

The only reason not to reveal your wealth is tax avoidance.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I've had two Kasikorn bank cards slowly fall apart.

One in the same way as the op. The other seemed extremely thin and flexible and split along a line produced by the rollers that drag it in and out of the atm slot.

Had to pay for the replacements both times.

On the subject of transfer fees, Kasikorn allow one free every month. Every little helps :-)

I don't get it that people think that banking services should be free. How will they make money.. ok maybe by using your money in a way (as a factor) when they loan money out. But they need to be competitive when loaning out so they cant make enough profit so they charge for other services. Sounds about right to me.

Not going into a discussion about the price of banking services.. but free... of course not.

yourauntbob.. and if it was 200bt for a better one that lasted longer you might have said it was expensive.. You get what you pay for i guess. (my bank card from the Netherlands is falling apart again, the Thai one is still good because its used less)

never said banking should be free. i paid for a card, the card fell apart. in this case, should be free. if i lost it (which i have in the past) or i damage it i dont complain about the fee. the second part is about them returning money to me in a prompt manner after they stop a transaction. and the third thing was about making a deposit. the provincial system is ridiculous to me but i dont complain much about the ATM fees because it can be beneficial as well because i dont need to look for my own banks atms, what i dont understand is why they want a fee for a deposit into their bank. never had a bank want to charge me money to take my money. yes, i am depositing out of province but into the same institution which carries no variable cost to them.

"And I thought US banks were crooks." Such a title for a thread about 100 baht.

In the US you have so many consumer protection laws that banks actually can't rip you off.

If someone pulls a scam with your debit or credit card, the bank is responsible to reimburse you.

Just call your bank and tell them your card is lost or stolen and watch them close it and overnight you a new one with a different number. They'll thank you, too.

Stop moaning about 100 baht, unless it means you won't eat for a week.

Banks make money by charging more interest to debtors than they pay to creditors (among many other ways)

I don't think Thai banks are particularly bad but I'm not keen on the idea of being charged to withdraw my own money in any country. Some other charges are acceptable. I don't mind paying 100 baht for a new ATM card because they replace it immediately, which is far better than having to wait up to a week as I do for my UK cards.

And you don't call this a rip off ? What justifies the 30 Baht charge for an inter province ATM withdrawal ?

It isn't that someone physically has to travel from your local branch to the ATM where you withdrew the money to put it in the ATM, isn't it ?

Edited by JesseFrank

And you don't call this a rip off ? What justifies the 30 Baht charge for an inter province ATM withdrawal ?

It isn't that someone physically has to travel from your local branch to the ATM where you withdrew the money to put it in the ATM, isn't it ?

It would be a rip off if you weren't told that Thailand operates a provincial banking system. But since you know and you know the charge exists, how can it be a rip off, it isn't, simply avoid it. It's a bit like saying imported brocolli is a rip off at 120 baht a bunch, if you think that, don't buy it!

• Like 1

130 baht outlay for a new ATM card and a nominal bank transfer fee? Not a big deal and equates to barely £2.50 at today's f/x rate.

I recently booked a Thai hotel through Agoda and attempted to settle with my credit card that expires this coming June and it was refused due to the short expiration. I utilised my second credit card and the transaction went through. If that was declined I would have used PayPal or one of my debit cards to complete.

I always have a back up and research the cheapest fees. It's a consumer attitude that's served me well for many years and I learn for next time.

never said banking should be free. i paid for a card, the card fell apart. in this case, should be free. if i lost it (which i have in the past) or i damage it i dont complain about the fee. the second part is about them returning money to me in a prompt manner after they stop a transaction. and the third thing was about making a deposit. the provincial system is ridiculous to me but i dont complain much about the ATM fees because it can be beneficial as well because i dont need to look for my own banks atms, what i dont understand is why they want a fee for a deposit into their bank. never had a bank want to charge me money to take my money. yes, i am depositing out of province but into the same institution which carries no variable cost to them.

You should protect your bankcard better , use the small plastic envelope that comes with it and make sure your card does not catch scratches and dents from all the rubbing on barstools - always deposit it inside a wallet, then in a front pocket of your jeans - and otherwise take utter care.

Have only had my debit card fall apart after I deliberately tried to pull this silly piece of thin sleeve from the otherwise nice card and found out all the numbers were printed onto this sleeve instead of onto the card itself . . . .

Som nam na . . .

Edited by crazygreg44

That ATM card cannot just be tossed in your pocket with your keys and coins. Nor put it in wallet like most folks do, only to sit on it all day and crack it to pieces. Buy a little card carrier... it is a one time purchase. Store that sucker away in a safe place, no need to carry around every day... When you need to use it, grab the case and put it in your front pocket. Slide it :gently"....into the ATM, I have seen people trying to jam the damn thing every which away, into a machine that just wasn't ready. Alternative, go inside the bank and do an over the country withdrawal with it. Mine last the lifetime of the card. yours can too

In the US you have so many consumer protection laws that banks actually can't rip you off.

Google "robo signing" and see how banks stole billions of dollars from homeowners.

If we stole that much from the banks by similar methods, we'd be in jail for decades. They get off with no acknowledgment of guilt, and returning a small portion of their criminal proceeds.

Then Google "credit card lawsuits" and see how many billions banks have stolen by inflating charges for credit card fees and penalties. Same deal- no apology, no acknowledgment of guilt and only partial refunds- just a cost of doing business.

Try this- go into a bank one day and rob the ATM using non-violent means. Then go back the next day after they figure out who did it and return part (or even all) of the money and see if you're still a free man the next week.

Edited by impulse

"And I thought US banks were crooks." Such a title for a thread about 100 baht.

If someone pulls a scam with your debit or credit card, the bank is responsible to reimburse you.

Just call your bank and tell them your card is lost or stolen and watch them close it and overnight you a new one with a different number. They'll thank you, too.

Stop moaning about 100 baht, unless it means you won't eat for a week.

best way to cook a frog is to slowly turn up the heat. and you obviously did not read my whole post as there si more to it than that.

And I have worked in several banks in the US, if you dont think they rip people off, your head might be in the sand. Not saying they are all bad, but I have seen some pretty awful stuff that high priced lawyers can bend the law to accomidate (not to mention the paid off polticians).

So just when is the point when the ATM card can just fall apart from normal wear and tear and not have to be replaced for free in your opinion...or are you and all the tens of millions of other Thai bank account holders entitled to a lifetime of free cards?

Also, if the possibility of having to pay B 100 baht occasionally to replaced a damaged ATM card puts a bee up your bum, you can always decline to buy one in the first place and spend your time standing in teller lines.

As for the account transfer fees and such, it's weird at first, even taking money out of ones own account at your own bank's ATM machine in another province incurs a fee but "when in Rome." It also helps keeps the banks solvent which I like, being a major depositor in some of them.

So just when is the point when the ATM card can just fall apart from normal wear and tear and not have to be replaced for free in your opinion...or are you and all the tens of millions of other Thai bank account holders entitled to a lifetime of free cards?

Also, if the possibility of having to pay B 100 baht occasionally to replaced a damaged ATM card puts a bee up your bum, you can always decline to buy one in the first place and spend your time standing in teller lines.

As for the account transfer fees and such, it's weird at first, even taking money out of ones own account at your own bank's ATM machine in another province incurs a fee but "when in Rome." It also helps keeps the banks solvent which I like, being a major depositor in some of them.

when you just paid for it 6 months ago. if i purchased a phone, speaker, table, chair, or any other product that has an expiration date of 3-5 years i expect it to last at least 1.

and for all those that say "its just 100 baht" multiply that time a couple thousand and see why the bank loves those little fees. lets do a little psychology experiment. If you purchased a car for 1,000,000 and they over charged you 100 baht would you complain? Most people would say “No” If you got in a taxi and the meter was 120 but the cabbie wants 220 would you complain? Most people would say “yes” the reasoning is that the first is just a small percentage and the second is a large percentage. But guess what; 100 baht is 100 baht. Both bills buy the same thing. This is a common psychological trick companies use to squeeze more money out of you. If they can get 1,000 people a day to say “its just a 100 baht” then they make hundreds of thousand s of extra baht. News flash, if you say that once a day you will end up spending 36,500 per year on their profits. Call me cheap if you like, but I like to believe that I am one of the few that still work hard for my money and don’t want to just give it away (unless charity).

If your out there saying why is he worked up over a hundred baht, I don’t envy you at all. I actually feel sorry for you. You have lost all concept of “the value of a buck.”

• Like 1

I went around and around with SCB about a defective ATM card and they wanted 200 THB for a replacement. The CSR backed down and reduced the replacement card fee to 100 THB when I pointed out the notice on the back of the card that said "Property of Siam Commercial Bank" and argued that it was their card that was defective

• Like 1

when you just paid for it 6 months ago. if i purchased a phone, speaker, table, chair, or any other product that has an expiration date of 3-5 years i expect it to last at least 1.

and for all those that say "its just 100 baht" multiply that time a couple thousand and see why the bank loves those little fees. lets do a little psychology experiment. If you purchased a car for 1,000,000 and they over charged you 100 baht would you complain? Most people would say No If you got in a taxi and the meter was 120 but the cabbie wants 220 would you complain? Most people would say yes the reasoning is that the first is just a small percentage and the second is a large percentage. But guess what; 100 baht is 100 baht. Both bills buy the same thing. This is a common psychological trick companies use to squeeze more money out of you. If they can get 1,000 people a day to say its just a 100 baht then they make hundreds of thousand s of extra baht. News flash, if you say that once a day you will end up spending 36,500 per year on their profits. Call me cheap if you like, but I like to believe that I am one of the few that still work hard for my money and dont want to just give it away (unless charity).

If your out there saying why is he worked up over a hundred baht, I dont envy you at all. I actually feel sorry for you. You have lost all concept of the value of a buck.

The point is not at it's ten baht or ten dollars or free for an ATM card from some bank, the point is that all banks, Thai and foreign, have various fee schedules for their various products and services. Some stuff the Thai banks may provide free, like pretty service girls, while foreign banks may charge and vice-versa. You have the freedom to choose with whom you bank with and I suggest you exercise it.

got news back to day. i need to go fill out forms in order to get the money they took from my account back. seriously dont understand this country sometimes. they block a payment, then take the money out of my account, then hope i dont notice so they can pocket the money.

BTW, no notification to me at all about what is going on. I need to activly pursue the money or they just stay mum. it doesnt even show up on the branch's computer, they needed to call a special department to even find out the money was owed to me, otherwise nothing would have been said. btw, no small sum of money on this payment to boot.