would you recommend relocating to Thailand to friends back home?

willyumiii

No, I wouldn't recommend it.

"Farangs" are always outsiders here

no matter how fluent, friendly, civilized, virtuous....

It is a very distrustful society that is

fixated on appearance and superficiality.

coffee1.gif

Depends on the friends. It takes a special kind of person yo live here. Someone who is willing to adapt and fit in, someone who realizes the west isn't right about everything, someone who is willing to change and willing to go along to get along.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i [not so] humbly beg to disagree. completing with a non-Thai wife soon 10 years in Thailand. our life in Thailand is very comfortable without "adapting" (but accepting certain circumstances which are beyond our control) and we definitely did not "fit in" nor are we willing to "fit in".

summary: we like Thailand. once in a while we bitch a bit, but smile and think "TIT".

Hilarious. You do the (trolling) dumb white trash very well. No joking, cheers to the script acting.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

whenever i read unsubstantiated assumptions from intelligent high society boys like you my dumb white trash soul feels nothing but envy.

sad.png

sent from my QSD using 1024bit encryption on subspace modulated carrier.

• Like 1

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much for women here...

For men..definitely...

If he is single, without a high income, and want to party every night...

if he is single, with some education, and cannot get a decent job in his country..

if he is single, with a small retirement or pension income, and wants to live better than in his own country.

if he is single, older than 50, looking for a 30 years old GF or wife

If he is single, any age, and cannot find a good wife for him in his country

If he is disabled, without enough money to afford a caretaker in his own country

if he have a small saving and wants to start a small business to increase his income, without working too hard or risking too much money..

If he is married, retired, no family around, and with income and savings to have a very good life here to travel around often....with his wife.

If he can work online, and wants an Asian base/office

If he is working in Asian import/export

If a friend ask what country to move..I will respond..Any country you can afford to live well and safe...and I will add...

In ANY country...if you are not prudent ...you get in trouble.

In some countries it is not prudent even to smile to everybody...

Here...the only not smiling people are the "farangs"..Every time I cross with some of them.......makes me remember why I live here.

Edited by umbanda

I don't live in Thailand and am not an expert, but I have spent enough time there to know a lot of the "issues", as well as lots of the "benefits". Currently, I don't even recommend to friends and family that they even holiday in Thailand, let alone live there. This is mainly based on the safety, particularly travel, and the relative lawlessness attitudes that prevail, i.e. Thais do not appear to value life (despite the Buddhist teachings) and the law is simply not enforced anything like it is in "grown-up" countries. However, I do try to point out the benefits too (as well as advising them of the issues) and say that it's "up to you"!

I don't live in Thailand and am not an expert, but I have spent enough time there to know a lot of the "issues", as well as lots of the "benefits". Currently, I don't even recommend to friends and family that they even holiday in Thailand, let alone live there. This is mainly based on the safety, particularly travel, and the relative lawlessness attitudes that prevail, i.e. Thais do not appear to value life (despite the Buddhist teachings) and the law is simply not enforced anything like it is in "grown-up" countries. However, I do try to point out the benefits too (as well as advising them of the issues) and say that it's "up to you"!

In other words, your a child in all cultures but a preacher in all teachings. Your opinion is poor, your approach is insecure & very small minded. Never disrespect another countries religion unless that false one known as christianity. But more so speak what you truly know rather than what you guess based on just being nothing more than a tourist.

I bitch about this country dail, but I live here....and it is COMPLETELY SAFE. More safe (OMG) than London or New York or Los Angeles or anywhere in Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

In other words, your a child in all cultures but a preacher in all teachings. Your opinion is poor, your approach is insecure & very small minded. Never disrespect another countries religion unless that false one known as christianity. But more so speak what you truly know rather than what you guess based on just being nothing more than a tourist.

I bitch about this country dail, but I live here....and it is COMPLETELY SAFE. More safe (OMG) than London or New York or Los Angeles or anywhere in Europe.

The guy's assesment about Thailand's negatives are not far off. That he is only a tourist has no bearing, so he can write what he wants. Only an arrogant twad who lives here, and who claims that HE is therefore allowed to comment on this, would comment like you did.

• Like 1

The guy's assesment about Thailand's negatives are not far off. That he is only a tourist has no bearing, so he can write what he wants. Only an arrogant twad who lives here, and who claims that HE is therefore allowed to comment on this, would comment like you did.

I believe my timing is just off timing. Thought all the Trolls were gone. Your another who has no bearing comment on the country, another tourist weighing in while sitting in another country.

I believe my timing is just off timing. Thought all the Trolls were gone. Your another who has no bearing comment on the country, another tourist weighing in while sitting in another country.

post-179267-0-56987100-1396143430_thumb.

I think it is the right guy but he is one of those, "my lady done me and my family wrong and that means all of Thailand will do anyone wrong" kind of guys. And she probably did and he does have an axe to grind. Too bad we all have to listen to it.

• Like 1

If you want to learn to hate it quick....then spend your days with the rest of the whiners, angry at everything because the 19 year old hooker from the gogo bar ripped them off.

Otherwise, get yourself a non-bar type relationship...... do not hang out at sleezy massage parlors and hooker havens. Get out to a nicer part of the country where people just live normal lives.

Same idea as not living in the red light district anywheres. Get the hay out and away. If you need that, fly in for a few days, indulge yourself, then get back to some cleaner living. You will find in not so bad.

Yes get a farmer girl from Isaan. Then buy a house for her family. And stay ten people in that house with nothing to do. That's a great living ;)

You might not like that but some do. I have a farmers daughter for a TGF, we have a nice small, modern style detached house 200m from a main road and another 200m from the village. I actually enjoy mixing with the family and the locals. There is always something going on here. No-one pesters me for anything and I buy a large bottle of Thai whiskey such as Hong Thong for the price of a couple of pints back home for them. I do it because they are good people and are my friends. They have welcomed me unconditionally which is great. The scenery, fresh air and relaxed lifestyle suits me. When I feel like a change, we get in the pick up and go away for a few days or I go cycling with the local club. I also have a condo near completion so the family can take care of the house whilst we are away. I hate cities and could never live in one, so what I do have suits me sir, ooh, suits me.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If the person wants to witness how different a place can be from more mature societies in the west, yes

If the person wants cheap sex or companionship, yes

If the person wants to instantly raise his intelligence relative to the surrounding population, yes

otherwise, no

A person from the west will feel an immediate DROP in intelligence here,

but their spirituality level can easily rise, if they are seeking that

I can love it for a few months each year. Im retired with no dependents and a nice pension, but Im bored after a while there. Then i go back to my home country, play golf and enjoy friends and creature comforts. Then get bored and back to LOS for a different type entertainment

Agreed.

I lived next to legacy golf course but always found it too hot to play, not even one round,

I am back in florida, where it is 70 degrees at the moment, and where I missed the best winter they had in 30 years while I was shacked up in 95 degrees in bangkok, where it takes two hours to go anywhere

After 20+ years I would have to say NO, unless they are very superficial and not critical to what kind of world Thailand has become in the last 10 years.

However there are still some good places, especially down South and with plenty of disposable income some people might make it their own paradise.

Living here or being a 1-mth. tourist in a nice resort are two very different pairs of shoes. MS>

but the south has all those killings and issues with insurgency?

where in the south would you suggest?

I am thru w Bangkok and even Chaing Mai was boring after a while

Higher cost of living compared to size & quality of space, or quality of food, or quality of anything, if not living like a peasant, horrible pollution, hot & humid all year long, the most expensive & worst wine in the entire world, the worst international food whether by restaurant or available for cooking, a country without sanitation laws, without ANY health laws whatsoever including serving spoiled food to customers without any liability (in other words, if you get the most severe food poisoning, you're still required to either pay the bill or go to jail); in all foreigners have less rights than the day laborer Burmese.

The only thing attractive about this country is no individual income, (most places, no) sales (but if, than 17%), or yearly if any, property Taxes. Or if you're unattractive, old past your means, obese or socially inept, than easy pay, beautiful young women.

Will always deter people away, far away from this country.

it is only welcome to the tourist who leaves in 10 days, anything after that, you start tosee the cracks in the floor

If you want to learn to hate it quick....then spend your days with the rest of the whiners, angry at everything because the 19 year old hooker from the gogo bar ripped them off.

Otherwise, get yourself a non-bar type relationship...... do not hang out at sleezy massage parlors and hooker havens. Get out to a nicer part of the country where people just live normal lives.

Same idea as not living in the red light district anywheres. Get the hay out and away. If you need that, fly in for a few days, indulge yourself, then get back to some cleaner living. You will find in not so bad.

Yes get a farmer girl from Isaan. Then buy a house for her family. And stay ten people in that house with nothing to do. That's a great living ;)

You might not like that but some do. I have a farmers daughter for a TGF, we have a nice small, modern style detached house 200m from a main road and another 200m from the village (where the family live). I actually enjoy mixing with the family and the locals. There is always something going on here. No-one pesters me for anything and I buy a large bottle of Thai whiskey such as Hong Thong for the price of a couple of pints back home for them. I do it because they are good people and are my friends. They have welcomed me unconditionally which is great. The scenery, fresh air and relaxed lifestyle suits me. When I feel like a change, we get in the pick up and go away for a few days or I go cycling with the local club. I also have a condo near completion so the family can take care of the house whilst we are away. I hate cities and could never live in one, so what I do have suits me sir, ooh, suits me.

Higher cost of living compared to size & quality of space, or quality of food, or quality of anything, if not living like a peasant, horrible pollution, hot & humid all year long, the most expensive & worst wine in the entire world, the worst international food whether by restaurant or available for cooking, a country without sanitation laws, without ANY health laws whatsoever including serving spoiled food to customers without any liability (in other words, if you get the most severe food poisoning, you're still required to either pay the bill or go to jail); in all foreigners have less rights than the day laborer Burmese.

The only thing attractive about this country is no individual income, (most places, no) sales (but if, than 17%), or yearly if any, property Taxes. Or if you're unattractive, old past your means, obese or socially inept, than easy pay, beautiful young women.

it is only welcome to the tourist who leaves in 10 days, anything after that, you start tosee the cracks in the floor

You could have gone to Chiang Mai, enrolled in a university and learned to speak Thai for 6 months and seen a bit of the real Thailand. Gained some respect and met some decent folks. Instead you chose to spend 6 months with a hooker from Bangkok. Whoops.... cracks in the floor? I guess.

Not all of us are so dense. Most people realize to understand a different culture the first, very first priority is communication. The rest stumble about making sure everyone knows their personal prejudices like that OZ893 guy who has a problem with people older than himself.

No problem making yourself heard here on Thai Visa but you should remind people you chose the lowest road with the easiest slope and really have no idea where you have been or what you have done because you were deaf and blind to what was said or written around you.

I feel sorry for the deaf and blind that wander the streets. You, have chosen to assume their handicaps and expect to get the same results as a person who can see and hear.

You had 6 months. What did you do that any alkie octogenarian from Oshkosh could not have done?

It would be OK if you realized the extent of your knowledge but you come across as an advice giving pundit who is an expert on Thailand and things Thai. Most of what you know is in error and what you think is probably black. Come back and spend some time in the real Thailand with real Thai people; then if 5 or 10 years you may have an idea be it ever small of what you are talking about.

Edited by thailiketoo

Yes get a farmer girl from Isaan. Then buy a house for her family. And stay ten people in that house with nothing to do. That's a great living wink.png

Why would anybody want to do that? I live in Udon (the city) and have a girl who was born here...yet...surprise of surprises!!!! No farm, no family living with us. We have a decent, fun filled life traveling, visiting friends, going out to restaurants and pubs....very nice.

You do have a choice. Some like the farm...some the city.

You could have gone to Chiang Mai, enrolled in a university and learned to speak Thai for 6 months and seen a bit of the real Thailand. Gained some respect and met some decent folks. Instead you chose to spend 6 months with a hooker from Bangkok. Whoops.... cracks in the floor? I guess.

Not all of us are so dense. Most people realize to understand a different culture the first, very first priority is communication. The rest stumble about making sure everyone knows their personal prejudices like that OZ893 guy who has a problem with people older than himself.

No problem making yourself heard here on Thai Visa but you should remind people you chose the lowest road with the easiest slope and really have no idea where you have been or what you have done because you were deaf and blind to what was said or written around you.

I feel sorry for the deaf and blind that wander the streets. You, have chosen to assume their handicaps and expect to get the same results as a person who can see and hear.

You had 6 months. What did you do that any alkie octogenarian from Oshkosh could not have done?

Could of gone to Chiang Mai with the utmost highly condensed pollution of the country & expect to die 10 years later or just battle cancer. Or mix yourself with the overweight bitter folk of the central land. Or be better deaf & blind as this is only temporary. Or listen to the TV people who are either rich & happy, well & working thru, working & acceptable or just blind & stupid.

Could of gone to Chiang Mai with the utmost highly condensed pollution of the country & expect to die 10 years later or just battle cancer. Or mix yourself with the overweight bitter folk of the central land. Or be better deaf & blind as this is only temporary. Or listen to the TV people who are either rich & happy, well & working thru, working & acceptable or just blind & stupid.

If you had just a smidgen of real knowledge you would know that the pollution in Chiang Mai is seasonal and know the couple months to avoid the place.

If you had just a smidgen of real knowledge you would know that the pollution in Chiang Mai is seasonal and know the couple months to avoid the place.

Yet I do since I did live there before, but traveling outside the area for 4-5 months & growing per year doesn't make it a good choice as a home, esp since those months are usually the time you'd like to stay home.

Thailand--------- HAS EVERYTHING ''EXCEPT TWO THINGS ''TO OFFER TO JOE WESTERNER ''

1 HONESTY

2 APPRECIATION !

WHAT THEY FORGET EVERY DAY IS THAT - ''WITHOUT US'' -----------THEY HAVE THIS HUGE PERCENTAGE --OF NOTHING !!!!!! IF SOMEBODY WAS LOOKING AFTER ME ALL OF LIFE , FOR FREE!!! ID BE ON MY KNEES WITH THANKS,!!!!! I CAN THINK OF 50 OTHER WESTERNERS LIVING THERE - THAT AGREE TO THESE WORDS - HANDS DOWN !

We didn't all marry prostitutes and / or peasants. Without me, my partner would do just fine.

In the pink ---my Friends didn't all marry prostitutes ---- yet the amount of ''non prostitutes '' is small by comparison to the rest - they don't have to be prostitutes yet they can ALL smell money like a bloodhound!!!! - bar none of them ! The obsession for money ( everybody else's MONEY ) just about covers the lot of them) I doubt we could - ever locate a greater obsession for money in even the worst of the western races---- by comparison to Thais!!

Thais devoid of the obsession for money in life! would barely account for like 10 in 4,000 of them - ive seen what appears as ''so called perfectly honest Thais'' arrive to Australia brought here by a well to do gent - 8 months later you find he is living in some old broken down wooden caravan on the dole - as sweet draws'' has scammed him for his lot -- house / finances car oh yes stories in paper speak no lies !!! --oh it happens!! do a bit of asking around the victims in this country ! you would need 8 gig of free space on a hard drive in your pc to write down all the horror stories of men cleaned out by ''Miss Thai ''

Prostitutes of body they all are not --but prostitutes of money))) - sad to say ---most suffer from the same disease !

FROM WHAT IVE SEEN IN EXTENSIVE TIMES SPENT IN THAILAND I THINK MAYBE 4 FROM 500 WOULD SURVIVE OK WITHOUT JOE WESTERNER !! BUT THE OTHER 496 - are on the scam trail / meal ticket wagon !

You sound like an advocate for prostitutes.

If so, I agree. They are likely the most honest

I agree, Thailand is not for everyone.

I also like living here. But because of that I would not recommend it to all my friends in my home country. This kind of life and lifestyle is not great for all people

Many posters on ThaiVisa who do nothing but whinge and whine, cements this view, yet they still stay, that's the part I don't understand.

I stayed 6 months.

Stagnation is what comes to mind.

Staggering heat comes next

Pollution

Food?

Yet I do since I did live there before, but traveling outside the area for 4-5 months & growing per year doesn't make it a good choice as a home, esp since those months are usually the time you'd like to stay home.

The pollution in Chiang Mai is bad in March. Tell your Thai hating bosses to get the info straight.

Safe?

growing up we were taught to look both ways when crossing a street,

but motorbikes are in sidewalks, going both ways,

Thailand is the only place I have ever walked where you can get hit on the curb, off the curb, in the street, on the street, in a tuk tuk, in a car, by a tuk tuk, hit by a motorbike while in a tuk tuk, hit.....hit.....dead, injured, maimed, and then you get a bill for a new tuk tuk and two motorbikes

I agree, Thailand is not for everyone.

I also like living here. But because of that I would not recommend it to all my friends in my home country. This kind of life and lifestyle is not great for all people

Many posters on ThaiVisa who do nothing but whinge and whine, cements this view, yet they still stay, that's the part I don't understand.

I stayed 6 months.

Stagnation is what comes to mind.

Staggering heat comes next

Pollution

Food?

And yet, despite having left the country some weeks ago, here you are still clinging to the last vestiges of your time in Thailand.

Obviously, in and of itself, that isn't an issue as lots of posters don't live here full time but you're on here pretty much daily.

Obviously, you DIDN'T stagnate as much as you'd have us believe

Obviously the heat WON'T deter you from coming back ........sooner than you'd have us believe

Pollution?? ........gimme a break.............you spend a lot of time in LA, don't you?

Only if they like the heat,38c here now in the shade as i write, to hot to leave the air con study.

it is steady in the 70's here:

I left thailand before the crazy heat started

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=weather+in+fort+lauderdale&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS527US528&oq=weather+in+fort+lauderdale&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6369j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Scarpolo

The beaches of south florida beckoned,

the lifestyle is not safe,

you cannot ride a bicycle without risking your life,

you cannot cross a street without almost dying,

I met a guy from England at the Dubliner,

he was thrown from a tuk tuk, hit by a motorbike, he is now blind and can barely walk.

no thanks

I may have lived with a sex worker from a massage joint,

but she had a higher moral standard than any girl I have known in years in the US, and we were a good looking couple, which, if she is smart, she sells her house in Bangkok, and finds a way to get to me here in florida.

thats her only real chance,

I saw plenty

she took me to the temples, to the restaurants, the nightclubs, we went to Laos, Chaing Mai, she was a perfect guide, and a perfect host, and wherever we went, she held the respect of any people we met, was always smiling a real smile, and people went out of their way to help her, and me,

I was treated very well, and in turn, so was she,

sometimes, the best people, are found in the worst places.

so it is