Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

I have been waiting 3 1/2 months for my daughter's first British passport. I was impressed by the speed and efficiency of the appointment at Trendy Towers, however once the application reached the UK things have gone hill fast. Just rang up the passport helpline, where the fella basically said they will reply to you because I am emailing them for you, if you email the passport office yourself they are much less likely to reply. He also said normally he would pass me through to the progress team, but they need the application/reference number which I was told at Trendy towers they were unable to provide. In a prior email, the only one I actually received a reply too, they stated they were unable to give me an application number also. All in all a shambles.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jonty100, I'm sorry you are having so much problem with your daughters passport but I can confirm my satisfaction with HMPO service as I have now received an e-mail confirming their phone call and I will be down there on Friday!!!

Good luck my friend!

Going to pick up my passport is there any other papers I need to take to immigration to get my stamps and extension changed over

Depending on where you live, some immigration departments will require the pro-forma transfer letter from the British Embassy.

You can apply by email to the Consular Facility at the British Embassy - contact details below (they will ask you for various scans of your old/new passports).

The letter is free and they will EMS it to your home address.

If you go direct to the Embassy, you need to get there before application closing which is 11:00 Mon- Friday excluding public holidays.

Consular Section

14 Wireless Road, Lumpini

Pathumwan

Bangkok 10330

Thailand

Email [email protected]

Telephone +66 (0) 2 305 8333

Fax +66 (0) 2 255 6051

Consular public counter opening hours: (Local time)

Monday to Friday, 8am to 11am

Consular collections only

Monday to Thursday, 2pm to 3pm

Friday, 11am to 12pm

Going to pick up my passport is there any other papers I need to take to immigration to get my stamps and extension changed over

Depending on where you live, some immigration departments will require the pro-forma transfer letter from the British Embassy.

You can apply by email to the Consular Facility at the British Embassy - contact details below (they will ask you for various scans of your old/new passports).

The letter is free and they will EMS it to your home address.

If you go direct to the Embassy, you need to get there before application closing which is 11:00 Mon- Friday excluding public holidays.

Consular Section

14 Wireless Road, Lumpini

Pathumwan

Bangkok 10330

Thailand

Email [email protected]

Telephone +66 (0) 2 305 8333

Fax +66 (0) 2 255 6051

Consular public counter opening hours: (Local time)

Monday to Friday, 8am to 11am

Consular collections only

Monday to Thursday, 2pm to 3pm

Friday, 11am to 12pm

Attached is a blank specimen of the letter which the Embassy will provide.

post-63387-0-28476500-1415845432_thumb.j

I had an appointment yesterday at Trendy to renew my UK passport and was in and out in 5 minutes with every thing approved. Now just have to wait for 6 weeks or so for an email to go collect.

Quite easy really!

BTW for the proof of my address I used a copy of my last P60 from my pension provider and a copy of each of my Thai driving licences.

UPDATE

I have just received a phone call (14.30) from HMPO at Trendy to say that my new passport is ready for collection and to bring my old passport and the document I was given there with me.

That's just 2 weeks to the day after making my application.

How's that for service!!!

What means ... 'and the document I was given there with me'

The Residence Certificate from Immigration which can be used as confirmation of address. These are also required for renewing a Thai driving license. I did this a few months ago. Can i use the old copies of that one or will I need to make a new one (cost 1,000 Baht)???

The Residence Certificate from Immigration which can be used as confirmation of address. These are also required for renewing a Thai driving license. I did this a few months ago. Can i use the old copies of that one or will I need to make a new one (cost 1,000 Baht)???

Residence certificate is supposedly free. Most offices charge 2 or 300 Bt. One thousand is unheard of.

Do you still have the original RC, or did you have to turn this in with your driving licence renewal application?

I strongly suspect that HMPO will prove extremely sniffy in accepting a copy RC as adequate proof of address.

However, if you still have the original, this should be fine given that it is less than a year old - provided, of course, that it is in English (and not Thai).

However, if you still have the original, this should be fine given that it is less than a year old - provided, of course, that it is in English (and not Thai).

Thai Residence Certificate is completely in Thai. There are multiple reports being accepted as proof of residence without the need of a translation.

Residence certificate is supposedly free. Most offices charge 2 or 300 Bt. One thousand is unheard of.

Mine (Kap Choeng) charge 500 Baht. Not listed, no receipt, but a fair price for the service IMO.

I think 50 baht is more than reasonable ( some of you seem to forget that you are living in an " almost " 3rd world country ....)

You may be, but I am living a VIP, hi-so lifestyle and even after 8 years 500 Baht is not unreasonable.

• Like 2

Thai Residence Certificate is completely in Thai. There are multiple reports being accepted as proof of residence without the need of a translation.

Kindly point me in the direction of some of the "multiple reports" to which you refer. The official advice on the GOV.UK website clearly states that non-English supporting documents do need to be translated

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

How to apply

1. Download the application form.
  2. Use the ‘Applying for a passport if you’re outside the UK’ guidance notes to help you fill in the application form.
  3. Include 2 identical new photos of you (or your child, if it’s a child passport application). Follow the rules about passport photos or your application may be delayed.
  4. Check which supporting documents you must submit with your application. You must get documents that aren’t in English - including documents showing an address - fully translated by a professional translator.
Edited by OJAS

Kindly point me in the direction of some of the "multiple reports" to which you refer.

I have found one report:

When you go to immigration tell them you want the residence certificate for new passport & they will do the address in English.

save you time & money getting it translated

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/713867-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/?p=7786910

If you want to challenge that it was accepted please address the author of that posting, not me.

I had an appointment yesterday at Trendy to renew my UK passport and was in and out in 5 minutes with every thing approved. Now just have to wait for 6 weeks or so for an email to go collect.

Quite easy really!

BTW for the proof of my address I used a copy of my last P60 from my pension provider and a copy of each of my Thai driving licences.

UPDATE

I have just received a phone call (14.30) from HMPO at Trendy to say that my new passport is ready for collection and to bring my old passport and the document I was given there with me.

That's just 2 weeks to the day after making my application.

How's that for service!!!

What means ... 'and the document I was given there with me'

When you file an application trendy give you an A4 sized 'HMPO' Document receipt, which lists the documents you supplied, your email and telephone contact details, plus now the DHL Tracker code for your passport application (each application is sent under separate courier cover).

Kindly point me in the direction of some of the "multiple reports" to which you refer.

I have found one report:

When you go to immigration tell them you want the residence certificate for new passport & they will do the address in English.

save you time & money getting it translated

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/713867-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/?p=7786910

If you want to challenge that it was accepted please address the author of that posting, not me.

Yes but you posted that (implicitly per this thread) trendy/HMPO accept residence certificates completely written in Thai which they certainly don't.

Yes but you posted that (implicitly per this thread) trendy/HMPO accept residence certificates completely written in Thai which they certainly don't.

Again, I don't know about certainty, if you want to challenge the report that so claims, do with to the author of the post, not me.

Again, I don't know about certainty, if you want to challenge the report that so claims, do with to the author of the post, not me.

Not writing about that specific report or its author which refers to Immigration producing evidence of address in English.

I am writing about your claim to have links showing that trendy/HMPO accept original un-translated Thai residence certificates as evidence of address for passport applications, which they certainly don't.

Please check your quote below:

I am writing about your claim to have links showing that trendy/HMPO accept original un-translated Thai residence certificates as evidence of address for passport applications, which they certainly don't.

My only claim is that a report exits saying otherwise. Here it is again

For the 3rd time: if you have an issue about the veracity of that, challenge the author not myself.

Again to help you understanding. I only have reported a previous posting in this same thread.

Edited by paz

My only claim is that a report exits saying otherwise. Here it is again

For the 3rd time: if you have an issue about the veracity of that, challenge the author not myself.

Again to help you understanding. I only have reported a previous posting in this same thread.

But the report to which you refer includes the following statement - which is completely consistent with what is said on the GOV.UK website:-

"When you go to immigration tell them you want the residence certificate for new passport & they will do the address in English.

save you time & money getting it translated"!

So I don't have any issue with the author of that particular report - whereas I do with you for imparting a misleading statement that "the Residence Certificate is completely in Thai" and is "accepted as proof of residence without the need of a translation"!

And where are all the other "multiple reports" to which you refer?

Edited by OJAS

But the report to which you refer includes the following statement - which is completely consistent with what is said on the GOV.UK website:-

"When you go to immigration tell them you want the residence certificate for new passport & they will do the address in English.

So I don't have any issue with the author of that particular report - whereas I do with you for imparting a misleading statement that "the Residence Certificate is completely in Thai" and is "accepted as proof of residence without the need of a translation"!

No problem, I guess the difference between authorship and reporting is too arduous for you, but I will try again to let you understand

Here's again what I wrote, before your quoting distortion:

I mentioned multiple reports, of which I linked one. I can be wrong and that is the only one.

Furthermore, the report says:

That means the certificate is in Thai, but the address (only) is in English.

Again for Nth time, whatever issue you have with that statement, that is not mine, direct your hammering to the author.

No problem, I guess the difference between authorship and reporting is too arduous for you, but I will try again to let you understand

Here's again what I wrote, before your quoting distortion:

I mentioned multiple reports, of which I linked one. I can be wrong and that is the only one.

Furthermore, the report says:

That means the certificate is in Thai, but the address (only) is in English.

Again for Nth time, whatever issue you have with that statement, that is not mine, direct your hammering to the author.

HMPO Advises the following:

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company.

The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Argue the semantics by all means as to who is to blame for misleading whom, but HMPO clearly and unambiguously state that any supporting documents supplied with Thai writing must be fully translated into English.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 2

Argue the semantics by all means as to who is to blame for misleading whom, but HMPO clearly and unambiguously state that any supporting documents supplied with Thai writing must be fully translated into English.

Not "sematics", but barking up the wrong tree. Wouldn't you consider give everyone a break.

Okay, back to this little chestnut, Proof of Address. My son has dual citizenship. We are now about to renew his British passport as his last one expired 20 years ago and we are hoping to visit the UK next year. Everything is now in place apart from proof of address. What can he use? His education certificates do not include any home address so that is out. He has a motorcycle license which uses his current address, but it was issued more than one year ago. He has a house registration book as the home owner of the house we live in, again it was issued more than a year ago, certain bills such as True Visions, electricity and telephone are issued in his name, but the address is always in Thai. Of course he has his Thai ID card, again issued more than one year ago. He has just started work so I suppose it would be possible to get a letter written in English under the letterhead of his employer, but am not sure. All in all he has next to nothing that falls within the list of documents to prove his address.

Which of these documents can he use and can I do the translation myself but have it certified by a lawyer? Or do I have to use a British Embassy approved translation service. If you have any you would recommend a PM would be appreciated as I understand you are not allowed to post recommendations on the thread.

Final question, if I email Trendy tomorrow will I be able to get an appointment within this year? It is not clear from the thread how busy they are now.

Okay, back to this little chestnut, Proof of Address. My son has dual citizenship. We are now about to renew his British passport as his last one expired 20 years ago and we are hoping to visit the UK next year. Everything is now in place apart from proof of address. What can he use? His education certificates do not include any home address so that is out. He has a motorcycle license which uses his current address, but it was issued more than one year ago. He has a house registration book as the home owner of the house we live in, again it was issued more than a year ago, certain bills such as True Visions, electricity and telephone are issued in his name, but the address is always in Thai. Of course he has his Thai ID card, again issued more than one year ago. He has just started work so I suppose it would be possible to get a letter written in English under the letterhead of his employer, but am not sure. All in all he has next to nothing that falls within the list of documents to prove his address.

Which of these documents can he use and can I do the translation myself but have it certified by a lawyer? Or do I have to use a British Embassy approved translation service. If you have any you would recommend a PM would be appreciated as I understand you are not allowed to post recommendations on the thread.

Final question, if I email Trendy tomorrow will I be able to get an appointment within this year? It is not clear from the thread how busy they are now.

Letter from employer in English confirming name and address will be fine.

Any bill with his name and address translated into English will be fine.

Thai ID Card (translated) should be fine.

This is what HMPO told me.

You must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Should be able to get an appointment with trendy currently within two weeks.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

Not "sematics", but barking up the wrong tree. Wouldn't you consider give everyone a break.

And why don't you give us all a break from your inane drivel? How can a Residence Certificate possibly be "completely in Thai" if the address at least is stated in English??

Edited by OJAS