Looking for some advice to lose around 60lbs

2008bangkok

Get a digital food scale.

Go to myfitnesspal.com or sparkpeople.com and register - enter all food eaten (must weigh cooked food).

Go to bodybuilding.com or www.scoobysworkshop.com and get a fitness program and calorie/macro food requirements.

Go everyday to gym or some kind of exercise - takes eating time away, increases health awareness/motivation.

Try intermittent fasting; search youtube - fasting twins or IF.

Or try nutritional ketosis- takes 3-4 weeks to adapt but you burn body fat for fuel instead of carbs/glycogen. Youtube search Dr. Attia keto or any of the other doctors talking about nutritional ketosis.

I lift heavy and get over 1g protein/lb

This is the gymrat way.. I lift heavy and keep my proteins high. Now I am doing a sort of IF as I start eating at 12.00 and keep it low carb high protein.

However most people here are not spring chickens .. actually the demographics place most over 55 so this solution will not always work.

And every day gym is far too much....every second day is too much if you start.

And what would help a digital food scale over an analog? The technology it is based on doesn't matter as long as it is exact.

• Like 2

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Myth: Diet and exercise are equally important in weight loss.

It's false ; Diet comes first.

I 100% agree its almost impossible to train enough to make up for bad food habits, and its far easier to not eat 500cals then to burn it.

• Like 2

hi..

Give up consuming.............Simple................I eat once a day now and decreased my thickness. It is the only way, decrease Nutrient feedback. YOU, have to do Toooooooooooo much perform to get rid of off the body weight.if you want to lose weight you can eat green vegetables and paleo diet is the best for your lose weight .

• Like 1

I would even say it is easier to diet without exercise in my kind of diet (which isn't yours).

I eat no carbs only meat and everything works very well on ketone bodies. That little amount of sugar that is still needed is made in my liver from amino acids.

When I exercise my muscles try to restock their energy and I am more hungry than I spent energy.

But for me to train hard with weights while on diet is very motivating and a nice interruption. I can't train with something in the stomach. And afterwards I can't eat for 1 hour because my body is too overloaded. That is a 4 hour without food.

Often I eat say at 8-10 PM., wake up 7. Drink 3-4 strong coffee without sugar or milk. No breakfast. Training on 11-12 for one 1 hour. Than it is often 1-2 PM before I eat the first thing. Than actually I can't eat too much. And the weight goes down fast.

(But you must add some protein drinks else you loose muscle).

I guess it is a male thing....but what works works.....

I 100% agree its almost impossible to train enough to make up for bad food habits, and its far easier to not eat 500cals then to burn it.

What it really means is that the body is not going to process 500 cal of fried chicken like 500 cal of kale.

For the same amount of cal you will have to spend extra time at the gym burning the fried chicken.

What it really means is that the body is not going to process 500 cal of fried chicken like 500 cal of kale.

For the same amount of cal you will have to spend extra time at the gym burning the fried chicken.

Sorry, I don't subscribe to that theory, if it were sugary drinks alcohol or other carbs id go for it but fried chicken nope. (not saying its healthy) but it does not make you insulin resistant and it is high protein.

What I am saying is that its easier not to eat 500 cals every day as to burn it off every day extra. 500 cals is a serious workout and doing that every day could lead to over training. There was a time (when i really needed to loose fat) that i did a 500 cal row a day extra above my other workouts. That is an workout of an hour extra.. that is a lot of time to do all the time.

I found it easier to eat 500 cals less in any form and to eat healthy (and I don't mean deep fried chicken dripping oil, but home made fried chicken is not that bad, seen plenty of lean bodybuilders eating it)

In have tried to change my diet to as follows

Breakfast 2 wetabix, small full day milk and a cup if tea

Mid morning snack 1/4 watermelon blended to juice

Dinner either tuna or chicken salad with about a tablespoon of Kraft mayo

Tea boiled chicken, veg, rice 2 fried eggs, cup if tea and yogurt

On a scale of 1 to 10 how healthy is that?

In have tried to change my diet to as follows

Breakfast 2 wetabix, small full day milk and a cup if tea

Mid morning snack 1/4 watermelon blended to juice

Dinner either tuna or chicken salad with about a tablespoon of Kraft mayo

Tea boiled chicken, veg, rice 2 fried eggs, cup if tea and yogurt

On a scale of 1 to 10 how healthy is that?

It sounds very masochistic......

seems healthy.....but no one deserves such a diet.....

Not sure what you mean there??

did you try to eat that, already?

it just sounds horrible to eat....

What I am saying is that its easier not to eat 500 cals every day as to burn it off every day extra. 500 cals is a serious workout and doing that every day could lead to over training. There was a time (when i really needed to loose fat) that i did a 500 cal row a day extra above my other workouts. That is an workout of an hour extra.. that is a lot of time to do all the time.

I found it easier to eat 500 cals less in any form and to eat healthy (and I don't mean deep fried chicken dripping oil, but home made fried chicken is not that bad, seen plenty of lean bodybuilders eating it)

Yes but what I am saying is that it is easier to eat as much calories as you want (2500/3000), not exercise and still lose weight.

Which is exactly what I am doing biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png

• Like 1

Lol I'm kind of confused here, what bit is horrible to eat

For me it sounds like terrible taste and being all the time hungry.....but of course tastes are different....

sick.gif Kraft Mayo sick.gif for a start

If I am allowed only things that were dipped into Kraft Mayo, I would loose weight very fast......

• Like 1

For me it sounds like terrible taste and being all the time hungry.....but of course tastes are different....

guys. Gals

Are we forgetting that everyone is different?

What works for one may poison another!

Remind yourselves of the name of this thread please!

Advice is requested.

Well a lot of good stuff has been offered but we seem to digress into a "My regime is better that yours"

Can we please get back to supporting each other?

BTW, about 55years ago, as an apprentice, a fellow apprentice always had cheese sandwiches for lunch.

Someone chided him for this and said he should shout at his Mum to give him something less boring.

His reply - "I make my own sandwiches and I like cheese!"

One mans meat is another's poison......

I have seen high fat low carb and high carb low fat diets work!

There is no right or wrong.

We need to discover what is best for our particular body!

This thread has been great in offering a wide variety of hints and dos and dont's

The real answer is never give up, take stock of what happens when you do this or that and adjust things until your body responds in a direction that you want, hopefully, without hunger.

Enjoy.

(Rant over)

Obama has a new work-out video out that, although it looks vigorous, will surely trim some weight for you. I understand it's being incorporated by the U.S. Navy Seals to more quickly whip them into shape!

waging war around the globe surely needs a lot calories...see how thin he is.

Actually I think he is so thin because he probably still smokes a pack of cigarettes every day. If you saw the actual video of his workout, I can safely say he makes Mr. Rogers or Richard Simmons look like Arnold Schwarznegger!

Actually I think he is so thin because he probably still smokes a pack of cigarettes every day. If you saw the actual video of his workout, I can safely say he makes Mr. Rogers or Richard Simmons look like Arnold Schwarznegger!

He told his wife doesn't allow him to smoke.

• 3 months later...

I have some simple tips to lose weight quickly.

Avoid over eating

Drink green tea

Eat fruits

Do exercise everyday

Drink lot of water

Join a gym.

Is this something you have done personally?

If so, what percentage of your body weight have you lost, how long did it take, and how long did you manage to maintain that weight loss (if you did)?

I have nothing against anything on your list, but personally I don't think doing all that would generally result in RAPID weight loss for very many people. On the other hand, I think going for RAPID weight loss shouldn't be people's goal. It should be changing their lives for the long term, and that takes the long term.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Avoid over eating

Drink green tea

Eat fruits

Do exercise everyday

Drink lot of water

Join a gym.

If so, what percentage of your body weight have you lost, how long did it take, and how long did you manage to maintain that weight loss (if you did)?

I have nothing against anything on your list, but personally I don't think doing all that would generally result in RAPID weight loss for very many people. On the other hand, I think going for RAPID weight loss shouldn't be people's goal. It should be changing their lives for the long term, and that takes the long term.

• Done.
  • Lost 10% Body Weight in 6 months
  • Weight still under control after 9 months
  • Fitness level greatly improved.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Avoid over eating

Drink green tea

Eat fruits

Do exercise everyday

Drink lot of water

Join a gym.

• Done.
  • Lost 10% Body Weight in 6 months
  • Weight still under control after 9 months
  • Fitness level greatly improved.

Lets say you were 100 kg heavy before. Than you lost 10 kg in 6 month. It is nice and my congratulations for that! Well done! But I won't say it is rapid. 1 kg per week is rapid. Some very heavy people loose like 2-3 kg per week. This rapid weight loss are more difficult to sustain afterwards.

Avoid over eating

Drink green tea

Eat fruits

Do exercise everyday

Drink lot of water

Join a gym.

Rapid fat loss is nice and encouraging but usually you should be real happy if your loosing a kg a week. You can loose more at times but its hard. In the end its all about lifestyle changes.

The most effective and healthy way to lose weight is to go low carb i.e. ketogenic diet which entails high fat, low protein, low carbs. It is also good for cancer but you will certainly lose weight if you are overweight.

The difficulty is of course maintaining this approach over a long period.

Maybe you should also add something called EFT which will help with the emotional side of losing weight and keeping it off. It uses tapping and affirmations to help release negative emotions which may be what is holding you back in losing weight and keeping it off.

Edited by Tolley