Refunding money paid for expat/government health insurance

mgbcnx

If you're waiting for a check in the mail, don't hold your breath. First you have to go to the hospital where you registered to begin with and ask that your name and address be added to a list kept at the front desk. Theoretically, money paid will be refunded at some point in the future--but tell that to the rice farmers! giggle.gif

No problem at San Sai hospital,they phoned last week and said come and collect

your deposit this Tuesday, so went yesterday, in and out in ten minutes,they

reclaimed the last bill and deducted it from the deposit.and other quick turnabout

from the government.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

What I heard it's a hospital by hospital thing and not a general closure of the insurance. Haven't got any information from Hang Dong Hospital, so I assume the insurance remains in effect.

Thanks Nancy

That pretty well explains it all. Some will just have to wait.

Maybe some time in the future they will come up with a more reasonable plan. 2.200 baht would not even get you a regular doctors visit back home.

Queue knee jerk reaction no.4 "this is not back home so you shouldn't compare prices. You can buy a new suit and a fish supper for 2,200b in Thailand". Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Thanks Nancy

Maybe some time in the future they will come up with a more reasonable plan. 2.200 baht would not even get you a regular doctors visit back home.

Queue knee jerk reaction no.4 "this is not back home so you shouldn't compare prices. You can buy a new suit and a fish supper for 2,200b in Thailand".

Last summer I was back home and two Dr. visits were free, as will a couple of visits this June/July.

I guess it depends where 'back home' is.

• Like 1

Pardon my ignorance. Has the previously "misunderstood" health scheme been nullified?

My in-laws were naturalized Thai. Their Thai could only be understood by some of their workers. Being proud of being a Thai, my FIL enrolled us all in the B30 scheme. We don't even know the hospital where we are enrolled at. However, when they got sick themselves, neither of them had used it. Needless to say it had cost them millons though I'm not quite sure if they had had gotten the best treatments.

When people get older, health care is most important! Nancy, Sheryl, and many others are doing a great job providing relevant information.

The more expensive a hospital does not always mean the best care! This is what I have learned from watching many of my elders.

Thanks Nancy

Queue knee jerk reaction no.4 "this is not back home so you shouldn't compare prices. You can buy a new suit and a fish supper for 2,200b in Thailand".

Last summer I was back home and two Dr. visits were free, as will a couple of visits this June/July.

As non resident of the UK are we still entitled?

What I heard it's a hospital by hospital thing and not a general closure of the insurance. Haven't got any information from Hang Dong Hospital, so I assume the insurance remains in effect.

Had two friends return to Hang Dong Hospital . There cards got holes punched in them and were told to come back for a refund ... I myself have not gone yet but will . Wife spoke to the lady that works in the office and she advised they were cancelling all the cards and they would no longer be honored . This was as of last week ..

• Like 1

Thanks Nancy

I am still registered with my doctor's surgery in the UK, apparently they just just sent me some info to my parents house ( my registered address) to call in for some cancer tests because I was now of a certain age.

My last visit to the surgery was in 1983.

Before the current and now defunct Government health scheme ,there was

another health scheme for Farangs,it was enacted by Thaksin when he was

PM, you just needed a yellow book,to register,it was not well know at all,and

for 2 years it worked well for me,it was available and yes I took advantage of

the scheme.

Then the Government opened up this new scheme which it seems was not well

thought out before hand (nothing new there), and the number of Farangs enrolling

must have quickly caused a rethink and it was canceled before it even had a chance

to get going,maybe it was a bad idea,a loop hole as it was not originally meant

for us ? and only for Burmese,Cambodians,and Laos migrant workers,as they are

still covered,and rightly so.

I will still continue to go to San Sai hospital as all the nurses and Drs are very friendly

and helpful,unlike the private hospitals where you are overcharged for medicines,

and are just looked on as a cash machine instead of a patient, thats my view anyway.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

Seems a bit like dirty pool to me..... like changing the rules after the ball game has started and the home team finds themselves behind.

One might have thought that they would say , ok we're stopping the program for new enrollees but will honor the agreement for those already on board.

But to not think things thru and then find out ...... uuhhh ohhh I'm behind so I think I will quit the game now ...... that's reeks of dirty pool.

Then to offer a refund BUT charge for services rendered that would have been included in the original agreement and deduct from the Insurance fee paid, and unilaterally cancelled is just wrong.

This just bothers me to think and say it , but is this another example of "Thainess"????

What would you like me to say, Joe?

• Like 1

the scheme.

thought out before hand (nothing new there), and the number of Farangs enrolling

must have quickly caused a rethink and it was canceled before it even had a chance

I will still continue to go to San Sai hospital as all the nurses and Drs are very friendly

and helpful,unlike the private hospitals where you are overcharged for medicines,

and are just looked on as a cash machine instead of a patient, thats my view anyway.

regards Worgeordie

That's interesting worgeodie, it explains why when I got my health insurance at Doi Saket a few months ago they told me I had been insured for the past five years, without me even knowing it. It must have started at the same time as I got my yellow book.

the scheme.

regards Worgeordie

So is it still working well for you and how much did it cost you or is it free to you now?

I know under Abhist their was no charge but prior to him and since there has been a 30 baht charge. That is for Thai's

Thanks Nancy

OK I will bite how much do you have to pay for health insurance in Thailand if you are a foreigner and 72 years old?

the scheme.

regards Worgeordie

So is it still working well for you and how much did it cost you or is it free to you now?

I know under Abhist their was no charge but prior to him and since there has been a 30 baht charge. That is for Thai's

Nothing is working now !, i will still go to San Sai hospital but will have to pay.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Seems a bit like dirty pool to me..... like changing the rules after the ball game has started and the home team finds themselves behind.

One might have thought that they would say , ok we're stopping the program for new enrollees but will honor the agreement for those already on board.

But to not think things thru and then find out ...... uuhhh ohhh I'm behind so I think I will quit the game now ...... that's reeks of dirty pool.

Then to offer a refund BUT charge for services rendered that would have been included in the original agreement and deduct from the Insurance fee paid, and unilaterally cancelled is just wrong.

This just bothers me to think and say it , but is this another example of "Thainess"????

I totally disagree with this. I got the insurance because it was such a great deal - too good to be true when compared to health insurance for the aged in Thailand. What usually happens in these too good to be true schemes is that money is quickly skimmed off the top and then the scheme fails and a lot of participants lose their money. That is not the case here. The government realized that the scheme was unsustainable and stopped it quickly, enabling them to refund the money. What is wrong with charging for services rendered? Nobody got cheated. The same services at the commercial hopspitals would probably cost at least ten times as much.

I believe that the scheme was meant for migrant workers like the Burmese. Two thousand two hundred Baht is a substantial amount for them and their medical demands would be much less than for us farangs, meaning that for them the system is much more sustainable. I hope this is a case of discrimination against us farang in that I hope the system has not been cancelled for the migrant workers who truly cannot afford to pay for medical care.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

"What usually happens in these too good to be true schemes is that money is quickly skimmed off the top and then the scheme fails and a lot of participants lose their money. That is not the case here."

Or maybe it is the case. I went to Nakhon Ping hospital to try for the refund.

"Oh, you are not on the list. I will call you when the cashier has it ready."

Two weeks later: Oh, I didn't call you? She makes a phone call. "It had to go to the director. I will call you when it is ready".

Another three weeks have gone by and I think they are checking with the director, the cashier, et al, and if nobody wants the 2000 baht, maybe they will return it to me.

+JUst wondering why you foreigners need 2,000bht so badly.

Let the hospital keep it, be charitable.

and help pay off the debt of over 100K Bath racked up by one foreigner alone (to the shock and surprise of the entire Nakhornping staff). how many people could get away with paying 2,000 Bath in another country and pull off racking up a 100,000 Bath bill when this old chap knew well in advance he had major health problems. no surprise he hasn't shown up to make some payments [which he owes them now]. another one racked up a 10K (or thereabouts) bill and had the nerve to try and collect his 2K Bath! this plan was supposed to be for people who needed to see a doctor when they are sick, get some pills, and other routine care. not show up half dead and expect the Thai government to foot the bill for them. i heard from a reliable source that these one or two foreigners in C.M. alone broke the entire system for everyone else.

• Like 2

"What usually happens in these too good to be true schemes is that money is quickly skimmed off the top and then the scheme fails and a lot of participants lose their money. That is not the case here."

Or maybe it is the case. I went to Nakhon Ping hospital to try for the refund.

"Oh, you are not on the list. I will call you when the cashier has it ready."

Two weeks later: Oh, I didn't call you? She makes a phone call. "It had to go to the director. I will call you when it is ready".

Another three weeks have gone by and I think they are checking with the director, the cashier, et al, and if nobody wants the 2000 baht, maybe they will return it to me.

I got my refund from Hang Dong Hospital without a problem,was just a matter of visiting the office ,them taking a photo copy of my card and my passport page and, returning 7 days later to pick up the 2,000 b. The date was at their discretion.

I have no feeling of guilt about being part of the failed scheme,it was offered and I took it.Never thought it was viable as some ageing foreigners are requiring constant medical attention.

Never actually used it it but spoke to one English chap who was there nearly every week.I'm not sure how he ever passed the initial test as he appeared to have visible/audible a lung complaint cough. cough

• Like 1

and help pay off the debt of over 100K Bath racked up by one foreigner alone (to the shock and surprise of the entire Nakhornping staff). how many people could get away with paying 2,000 Bath in another country and pull off racking up a 100,000 Bath bill when this old chap knew well in advance he had major health problems. no surprise he hasn't shown up to make some payments [which he owes them now]. another one racked up a 10K (or thereabouts) bill and had the nerve to try and collect his 2K Bath! this plan was supposed to be for people who needed to see a doctor when they are sick, get some pills, and other routine care. not show up half dead and expect the Thai government to foot the bill for them. i heard from a reliable source that these one or two foreigners in C.M. alone broke the entire system for everyone else.

+

To be fair, one wonders how a 100k bill actually costs the hospital any money at all.

They already have the doctors, nurses and equipment.

The drugs and supplies used at NKP are all generic, so the cost is peanuts.

So 100k spent on extra consumables seems unlikely.

PS

My cousin is an administrator at NKP, so I do know a bit about that hospital.

Although it is a government hospital, and they do a good job on locals, they have a policy of gouging foreigners.

Billed prices for private foreigner customers are way beyond the nominal billing for locals.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Well the medical condition of these people,if it was so obvious, should have been picked up by the hospital staff at the time of the initial application interview,x ray,blood tests etc.

The scheme was badly thought out, no surprise Thailand is full them. I guess we have have all heard stores of youngish foreigners having major road accidents ,mostly on motor bikes, been taken to hospital with serious injuries and long term stay requirements,particularly in Phuket and Pattaya and no money .Not sure how the hospitals recover the costs.

I know from personal experience in the Philippines, Doctors wont touch anybody in accident cases until someone guarantees payment.I had one of my staff in La Union with his foot almost hanging off and I had to front up 20,000 pesos for starters

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. After taking out this insurance I had an attack of gall stones, twice, and went to the Hang Dong hospital both times. I was hospitalized 5 days the first time and 3 days the second. The only charge I had to pay was the 30 baht plus about 650 baht per day for the private room. In addition, I got my monthly meds for 1 month for 30 baht, outside pharmacy would charge about 1300 baht. All total I saved about 16,500 baht minus 2200 baht, 14,300 baht. I just got sick at the right time.