What kind of advantages will get for those born in Kingdom but not entitling Thai nationality kids?

jiangaq

Official name of Thailand is 'Kingdom of Thailand'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand

No kidding?

So is this one.. Kingdom of Saudi Arabia .

You left out;

Kingdom of Bahrain referred to as Bahrain

Kingdom of Belgium referred to as Belgium

Kingdom of Bhutan referred to as Bhutan

Kingdom of Cambodia referred to as Cambodia

​You can look up the others if you're interested.

Me, I live in Thailand. wink.png

Official name of Thailand is 'Kingdom of Thailand'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand

No kidding?

So is this one.. Kingdom of Saudi Arabia .

You left out;

Kingdom of Bahrain referred to as Bahrain

Kingdom of Belgium referred to as Belgium

Kingdom of Bhutan referred to as Bhutan

Kingdom of Cambodia referred to as Cambodia

​You can look up the others if you're interested.

Me, I live in Thailand. wink.png

The only on in that group that comes close to a kingdom is Belgiumwhistling.gif if it weren't for the Belgium's.cheesy.gif

I guess one advantage is you get a better-looking kid for half-casts generally look better. Another is that you get the nationality of one of your parents.

We are a kind of "lucky", for our kid was born here while we were both permanent residents. So, our kid is Thai but doesn't speak much Thai for he's been living in the States since he was 6. All our properties including our houses are in his name. He once asked if he could change his citizenship to the US, but I told him why he needed to for he enjoyed all the benefits like an American, except he couldn't vote. I also added that he would probably vote for the wrong guy anyway for living almost his entire life in the States, lol! Likewise, if he comes back her to Thailand, he would vote for the wrong guy again anyway.

I don't have that problem for my kids as the UK recognizes duel citizenship and Thailand will never know.

If a child is born in Thailand and the foreign parents have residency, then he/she can claim citizenship. If both parents are foreigners and are just on work visas, etc. then they don't gain citizenship.

As some others are confused not every country allows dual citizenship and there are some old laws in Thailand that state that a child when turns 18 can choose, but it isn't required.

Obviously if a child is born to one parent Thai and one from another country they often will have dual citizenship unless the specific countries don't allow however so many do.

• Like 1

Interesting question especially when applied to the sino-thai population (10% of the Thai population). Four generations ago for example, the original Shinawatra's were immigrants from China. Now they have become Thai. So at some point the law must have allowed immigrants and their offspring to become Thai nationals. Does anyone know the history of immigration law?

The Nationality Act of 1939 was set up to integrate the ethnic Chinese that had entered the country. They had to select (or accept) Thai surnames. Most Chinese nationalisations occurred during the Japanese occupation of Thailand (1943) - for obvious reasons.

The current act, 1992, requires five years of residence in Thailand, as well as proof of a certain minimum income and renouncing of their previous citizenship (although citizenship (dual) can be reinstated afterwards with original country if allowed by that country). The period of residence is reduced to three years for foreign women married to Thai men, but not vice versa.

Under Section 99 of the 2007 Constitution of Thailand, a naturalised citizen does not gain the right to vote until five years after the event of naturalisation; under Sections 101, 115, 174, and 205, naturalised citizens have no right at all to stand for election to the House of Representatives or the Senate, or to be appointed as a Minister or a Justice of the Constitutional Court.

Edited by wolf5370