What kind of advantages will get for those born in Kingdom but not entitling Thai nationality kids?

jiangaq

Cause the op is currently clear as mud, are you asking about kids that just happen to be born while Mums on holiday in Thailand?...they are not considered Thai national in that case.

I can't think of any situation where the child would be considered a Thai national if the parents aren't. Even if Mum gives birth while waiting for a plane in Swampy, it's not considered a Thai child.

I've confused myself working this out...blink.png

• Like 1

LOS, Kingdom........why can't people just write Thailand?

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story? Why make something simple, when it can be made as ball bouncingly complicated, beurocratic and time consuming as possible??

• Like 1

I guess one advantage is you get a better-looking kid for half-casts generally look better. Another is that you get the nationality of one of your parents.

We are a kind of "lucky", for our kid was born here while we were both permanent residents. So, our kid is Thai but doesn't speak much Thai for he's been living in the States since he was 6. All our properties including our houses are in his name. He once asked if he could change his citizenship to the US, but I told him why he needed to for he enjoyed all the benefits like an American, except he couldn't vote. I also added that he would probably vote for the wrong guy anyway for living almost his entire life in the States, lol! Likewise, if he comes back her to Thailand, he would vote for the wrong guy again anyway.

I guess one advantage is you get a better-looking kid for half-casts generally look better. Another is that you get the nationality of one of your parents.

We are a kind of "lucky", for our kid was born here while we were both permanent residents. So, our kid is Thai but doesn't speak much Thai for he's been living in the States since he was 6. All our properties including our houses are in his name. He once asked if he could change his citizenship to the US, but I told him why he needed to for he enjoyed all the benefits like an American, except he couldn't vote. I also added that he would probably vote for the wrong guy anyway for living almost his entire life in the States, lol! Likewise, if he comes back her to Thailand, he would vote for the wrong guy again anyway.

And I bet 100% of parents with mixed race children would agree with you.wink.png

If you are born in Thailand to parents of Thailand plus another country you get 2 nationalities until aged 18 assuming that you register for both.Hopefully you will be brought up speaking both languages and take the best of each culture. Speaking 2 languages has a great benefit and Thai being a tonal language and in my children's case English being a phonetic language this is a great foundation for learning more languages. As a Thai citizen you can register for state healthcare etc. As a citizen of a Western country travelling is a lot easier and being Thai you can live here without a visa and 90 day reporting. After 18 in the current law you have to choose one nationality only (unless your name is Taksin). If you are only interested in the best hamburger restaurant and knocking everything Thai I guess there is no advantage in being dual nationality.

If you are born in Thailand to parents of Thailand plus another country you get 2 nationalities until aged 18 assuming that you register for both.Hopefully you will be brought up speaking both languages and take the best of each culture. Speaking 2 languages has a great benefit and Thai being a tonal language and in my children's case English being a phonetic language this is a great foundation for learning more languages. As a Thai citizen you can register for state healthcare etc. As a citizen of a Western country travelling is a lot easier and being Thai you can live here without a visa and 90 day reporting. After 18 in the current law you have to choose one nationality only (unless your name is Taksin). If you are only interested in the best hamburger restaurant and knocking everything Thai I guess there is no advantage in being dual nationality.

as i understood it from the OP, neither parent is Thai so the child will be entitled to zero.

• Like 1

LOS, Kingdom........why can't people just write Thailand?

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story? Why make something simple, when it can be made as ball bouncingly complicated, beurocratic and time consuming as possible??

LOS = Land of Scams/Land of Sex.. That is what Thailand is.

• Like 1

I am sorry to disagree with you. Where does it say that you have to choose one nationality. No one can take your Thai citizenship away for no reason or for the reason that you have an other citizenship also. I have a daughter with 2 nationalities and she is 39 yrs. old and a son who is just 8 yrs. It is often said, that you have to choose a nationality, but that does not make it so. By the way who would know ?

• Like 1

I am sorry to disagree with you. Where does it say that you have to choose one nationality. No one can take your Thai citizenship away for no reason or for the reason that you have an other citizenship also. I have a daughter with 2 nationalities and she is 39 yrs. old and a son who is just 8 yrs. It is often said, that you have to choose a nationality, but that does not make it so. By the way who would know ?

Well I actually know a German national. Last year he needed a transplant and because he was working could only get it done in Thailand and therefore had to have Thai citizenship. On receiving his Thai citizenship the German embassy informed him he must give up his German passport.He therefore lost his German citizenship. Many countries do not allow dual citizenship.

Who would know- well to enter the UK my kids use their UK passport, to enter Thailand their Thai passport. A rather bright immigration official noticed they had no visa to enter the UK in their Thai passport and asked to see their UK passports.

as i understood it from the OP, neither parent is Thai so the child will be entitled to zero.

You are right! So the child will be getting none of benefit in Thailand, right?

Well I actually know a German national. Last year he needed a transplant and because he was working could only get it done in Thailand and therefore had to have Thai citizenship. On receiving his Thai citizenship the German embassy informed him he must give up his German passport.He therefore lost his German citizenship. Many countries do not allow dual citizenship.

Who would know- well to enter the UK my kids use their UK passport, to enter Thailand their Thai passport. A rather bright immigration official noticed they had no visa to enter the UK in their Thai passport and asked to see their UK passports.

I'm curious about how your friend get the Thai citizenship legally?

We are not talking about a citizen of an other country changing his citizenship. This is about children born that have two parents of different nationalities in one of the parents home land. Yes. many countries will not let you have or keep an other citizenship and Germany is one of them .. well ... yes and no.. if you have money ...!!!

There are quite a few countries that let you keep dual or more nationalities if they acquired through birth. Where those same countries have issues is when you ACTIVELY seek out the nationality of another country and thereby swear and oath or affirmation of loyalty.

Back to the OP...I do know a few Burmese/Chinese (ethnicity) children that have managed to go to government school. There are lots of Thais that do not have official birth certificates (or ID's) and obtain same after completing schooling (with letter from school) and good work of village headman and local abbot.

My wife's sister is in her 40's, born in Chiang Rai and has no ID and is still saving money for a blood test match with my wife (who has ID, both have no birth cert). Sister went through a government school here...as did her children (two then went on to school at Chedi Luang for three years and obtain letters to help with citizenship/ID acquisition)

OP, no benefits.

If you live here you can use government hospitals - for a (small) cost.

Your children can go to government schools if they meet the requirements.

There are several countries that don't allow dual nationality.

Thailand allows it.

Muchogra(cias?)

He once asked if he could change his citizenship to the US, but I told him why he needed to for he enjoyed all the benefits like an American, except he couldn't vote.

If either of the parents are US citizens, he can hold both Thai and US Nationalities.

Interesting question especially when applied to the sino-thai population (10% of the Thai population). Four generations ago for example, the original Shinawatra's were immigrants from China. Now they have become Thai. So at some point the law must have allowed immigrants and their offspring to become Thai nationals. Does anyone know the history of immigration law?

I am afraid you are mixing things up. As far as the Thai law is concerned, there is no necessity to choose between a Thai and another nationality. I do know not only descendants of mixed parents who LEGALLY hold two nationalities, i.e. Thai and another., but also a number of Thai ladies living abroad who were naturalised in the country of their residence and still hold the Thai nationality and the new one. What you are referring to is a law in some countries (Germany, Singapore and others) who do NOT allow dual citizenship, but allow for exceptions (Germany allows dual citizenship to children of mixed marriages, descendants of German parents and the like). However, if a German citizen gets naturalised in another country, WITHOUT obtaining permission from the German authorities to do so (such permission is given in certain circumstances, but it has to be applied for), he/she automatically gets stripped off his/her nationality.

My advice to any person wishing to get naturalised in a foreign country, is to enquire with the authorities of his/her own country if this is permissible and what the consequences are. Most western countries allow dual nationality (UK, France, Switzerland, just to mention a few European countries,as well as the US, Australia and New Zealand)

• Like 1

There is no age limit. A male child at age 18 may choose to be a foreign national to avoid publlic service.

The son of my friends, a Thai American Couple) was born in San Antonio, Texas. At age 28 he came to visit and decided to stay, so applied for Thai citizenship to attend University as a Thai. Currently, he teaches English and makes the occasional return vist to the USA

Maybe this thread should be moved or maybe posted in another forum. Not really a Chiang mai thing and may get better responses...a more detailed question would have also helped

a more detailed question? why? better responses? it is very simple. neither parent is Thai. the child will not be entitled to any government benefits.

• Like 1

Maybe this thread should be moved or maybe posted in another forum. Not really a Chiang mai thing and may get better responses...a more detailed question would have also helped

"What kind of advantages will get for those born in Kingdom but not entitling Thai nationality kids?
Started by jiangaq, 2014-03-26 16:46"
Title from thread, "not entitling" whistling.gif

Can someone just clarify, I am soon to have a kid here in Thailand, will be UK father and Thai mother.

I imagined my kid would be able to get dual nationality and get a UK passport AND a Thai passport for life, which would give them all the benefits of being a citizen of both countries?

Correct?

Can someone just clarify, I am soon to have a kid here in Thailand, will be UK father and Thai mother.

I imagined my kid would be able to get dual nationality and get a UK passport AND a Thai passport for life, which would give them all the benefits of being a citizen of both countries?

Correct?

Dual nationality is correct for both UK and Thai. Not passport for life needs renewing.

Edited by khwaibah