Thailand ranks 2nd in ASEAN for the best quality of life

webfact

Thailand ranks 2nd in ASEAN for the best quality of life

PNSOC570327001000301_27032014_112557.jpg

BANGKOK, 27 March 2014 (NNT) - Thailand ranked 2nd out of all ASEAN countries in the 2014 United Nations Human Development Index in terms of the best quality of life.

The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has compiled an annual report on the Human Development Index (HDI), which is an indicator that ranks human development on several areas such as life expectancy, educational level, and income.

The latest report marks the first time the index has been surveyed in the ASEAN region.

Singapore topped the index as the country with the best quality of life in the ASEAN region, closely followed by Thailand. Cambodia, meanwhile, ranked last in the index.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon released a statement on the International Day of Happiness this year that happiness may have different meanings for different people.

However, every country can agree that it means working to end conflict, poverty, and other unfortunate conditions in which so many fellow human beings struggle with in their day-to-day life.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-27 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the Thai Bashers are out in force. So who is number 2 in ASEAN? Laos? Vietnam? Cambodia?

I have worked and travelled in all ASEAN countries except the Philippines but I would actually put Thailand as number one. Singapore is great if you can afford it, but sull as dishwater.

Sounds like BS to me.

• Like 2

Of course the Thai Bashers are out in force. So who is number 2 in ASEAN? Laos? Vietnam? Cambodia?

I have worked and travelled in all ASEAN countries except the Philippines but I would actually put Thailand as number one. Singapore is great if you can afford it, but sull as dishwater.

Well if you worked in ALL Asean countries, and mention the costs involved in affording to live in them, then that in itself demonstrates the high standard of living in Singapore... which is what the article is about. Anybody can afford to live in Thailand, but not necessarily in Malaysia, nor Vietnam for that matter. Based upon that, do you really think the standard of living in Thailand outweighs that of Malaysia and Vietnam? Singapore might be 'sull' in your opinion, but your interests don't reflect on the 'standard of living'... Thailand is nowhere near second, in reality, especially regarding the aspects considered - the government agenda to eradicate poverty and conflict! Again Malaysia and Vietnam beat Thailand hands down in that area!

You make some good points - I would like to see the voting critera before voicing an opion.

Sadly PNG is not part of ASEAN This guy is just an everyday person dressed up and off to the office.

post-1626-0-47061700-1395905640_thumb.jp

OK, some of the points are valid, but I base my personal ranking on more than just clean streets and 8-Dollar Lattes. My very own personal ranking (no facts, just persoanl comfort):

1. Thailand

2. Cambodia

3. Myanmar

4. Laos

5. Vietnam

6. Singapore

7. Malaysia

Can't speak for the Philippines or Brunei.

• Like 1

it is not for the good education of your children, it is not for the highly skilled labour, it is not for the respectfullness of life & people (stabbing, killings, robbings, daily in the news), it is not for the management for rice & others, it is not for not beeing non-corrupted, it is not for a police force not doing their work and getting bribes or extortion from shops

• Like 2

I wouldn't live here if I didn't think I had a great quality of life here! Thailand should be #1.

The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has compiled an annual report on the Human Development Index (HDI), which is an indicator that ranks human development on several areas such as life expectancy, educational level, and income.

If your life expectancy, educational level, and income.

was the same as the average Thai, would you feel the same?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nobody is bashing Thailand, simply expressing opinions!

I would rate Malaysia as second.

i am not sure if I agree with you at all.

Malaysia may have electricity cables under-ground in KualaLumpur, and they university kids and the indian-malays can speak good english... but apart from that, I dont think its that worthy.

then again,,, if you remove the capital cities, then maybe malay rural cities are more developed than thai rural cities ?

PS: its not exactly a "claim to fame" to declare coming 2nd in the ASEAN community either !! Lol

with competitors like Cambodia, Lao, Philippines, Myanmar etc...

its kind of like a 6th form student declaring how much smarter he is than the 3rd year kids!!!

Singapore is lucky coz its so small. it doesnt have to worry about such a big landmass.

if thaialand consisted of only Bangkok, then it would stand a better chance.

the truth is that its the Private sector that has made bangkok a modern city... (not the government).

the government still cant be bothered to spend a small amount of money to make road digging sites back to new again,, and improve infrastructure.

Edited by easybullet3

yes its possible ... if you dont take in consideration ... traffic jams , corruption , pollution , high prices for wine and spirits , huge import taxes , double pricing for historical monument and parks etc ..

And of course all of the above does not apply in neighboring countries! HCMC has no traffic, Cambodia no corruption, Laos no pollution, booze is dirt-cheap in Singapore, there are no import taxes in Malaysia, no double-pricing in Myanmar, etc.

Sometimes I have the feeling that some posters on this thread have not been to many of the ASEAN countries.......

• Like 2