Thailand ranks 2nd in ASEAN for the best quality of life

webfact

Did anybody bother to read about the criteria for the ranking? This is UNHDP, not some silly expat or travel magazine. Quality of life doesn't mean access to cheap chardonnay, it means access to clean water, access to education... Still the #2 ranking surprised me.

For the parallel discussion, what inhuman beast calls "all men are created equal" "drivel", just because it was a concept of the American Revolution? How much more racist or sexist can you get?

The replies, by expats I assume, seem to place the ranking as a place for them to live.

Am I wrong in thinking that is comparing the quality of life for the native inhabitants with each other.

It is not about where I choose to live surely, but where people who were born and live in a country having a certain standard of living.

Apart from the recent turmoil, in a small part of Bangkok, Thai in my opinion have a fairly good life.

Even Isaan village people ( my father and mother in law) have food every day, an insurance that covers all when they need to see a doctor, medicine,etc..

Compared with the States, where sick people can die in front of a hospital, if they don't have the right insurance, plus the climate, a much better place to live.

And the people in general, they don't whine and moan (except for many expats posting here). So much can be learned from them about how to enjoy life and to focus on the good and not on those things that are negative which you have little control over. Far from perfect, like everywhere else, but mentally it is much more healthy than most places where being negative and constantly complaining seems to be some nation's favorite past time.

• Like 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcohol already a big problem in Thailand and Cambodia. Thailand has traffic jams usually owing to volume but at least there is some discipline to the traffic: people generally obey traffic lights and show some respect for smaller vehicles and pedestrians whereas in Cambodia there is none of either. Smoke season bad in Thailand, especially Chiang Mai. But Phnom Penh in Cambodia is much worse for filthy streets, stench and dust all of which are present year round. Walking much more dangerous in Cambodia. It has to rank several notches below Thailand and I have many more things to support that opinion.

Why is it that with millions starving around the world the UN wastes valuable time and resources on producing endless toss like this?

Simply because this is the only bloody thing that they can do. What a total waste of resources the so called 'United Nations ' is. They are willing to spend millions of dollars and time even deciding what to call their totally useless projects. Pigs in the trough, travelling the world with their entourages, having useless meetings in very very expensive places and sitting on the sidelines whilst women and children get raped and tortured. A completely useless organisation.

In Singapore there is very limited living space in a skyscraper ,

So if only money makes happy, I could not believe that living in small flat can make happy! When it's only a illusion but real live looks diffrent!

For me Singapore including the taxi drivers are much more hectic and not same friendly then here in the land of smile!

Interesting UN report.

My quality of life is determined by the quantity of my enjoyment. So far, both are in abundance in Thailand.

If either changes, I will move on.

Live and Let Live.

Edited by Benmart

I wouldn't live here if I didn't think I had a great quality of life here! Thailand should be #1.

By defining Thailand as #1 I shudder to think of what criteria you use to determine quality.

My quality of life is defined as having ample nutritious food, clean & comfortable housing, relative safety & security, ample freedom to do and say what I want, great & abundant sex .... and most of all, by an abundance of happiness and well being. Fortunately for me, I get all that here in Thailand .... however, your experience may vary.

Why is it that with millions starving around the world the UN wastes valuable time and resources on producing endless toss like this?

Simply because this is the only bloody thing that they can do. What a total waste of resources the so called 'United Nations ' is. They are willing to spend millions of dollars and time even deciding what to call their totally useless projects. Pigs in the trough, travelling the world with their entourages, having useless meetings in very very expensive places and sitting on the sidelines whilst women and children get raped and tortured. A completely useless organisation.

true but so is mankind, useless.

Alcohol already a big problem in Thailand and Cambodia. Thailand has traffic jams usually owing to volume but at least there is some discipline to the traffic: people generally obey traffic lights and show some respect for smaller vehicles and pedestrians whereas in Cambodia there is none of either. Smoke season bad in Thailand, especially Chiang Mai. But Phnom Penh in Cambodia is much worse for filthy streets, stench and dust all of which are present year round. Walking much more dangerous in Cambodia. It has to rank several notches below Thailand and I have many more things to support that opinion.

I've read walking around is dangerous in Hanoi & HCM City. No traffic lights or where they are they are ignored. Is it the same in PP?

ASEAN world rankings by HDI & Quality of Life:

18. Singapore
30. Brunei
64. Malaysia
104.Thailand
114. PI
121. Indonesia
127. Vietnam
138. Cambodia
138. Laos
149. Burma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_of_living

11. Singapore
36. Malaysia
42. Thailand
61. Vietnam
71. Indonesia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality-of-life_Index

Edited by oldthaihand99

I wouldn't live here if I didn't think I had a great quality of life here! Thailand should be #1.

By defining Thailand as #1 I shudder to think of what criteria you use to determine quality.

My quality of life is defined as having ample nutritious food, clean & comfortable housing, relative safety & security, ample freedom to do and say what I want, great & abundant sex .... and most of all, by an abundance of happiness and well being. Fortunately for me, I get all that here in Thailand .... however, your experience may vary.

That basicly sums it up for me, too, as to why Siam is at the top of my list. I also enjoyed spending months in SG, though it is obviously somewhat more pricey.

I've read walking around is dangerous in Hanoi & HCM City. No traffic lights or where they are they are ignored. Is it the same in PP?

Never had too much a problem (nor felt to unsafe) walking around Hanoi. The city is actually "organized" pretty well, and people were generally polite to me (a farang). In PP, that is a different story. At night I did not stray too far from the major part of town by the river b/c of the crime problems - and farang are a likely target. Street people (beggars) can be annoying if you don't know how to deal with them. Cool palce to visit, but was always on my guard.

2nd in ASEAN for the best quality of life....!...in ..thailand......what a joke why dont they try first to live like people earning most of them 10 000 baths/mounth per family.

quality of life depend on how much you have and can spend to get what you desire..and for this you need cash...a few can and the majority can not.....why dont they come to my village for a year or so to see what kind of quality of life my neibours and i have....i bet they wont stay long.facepalm.gif

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

what about

ASEAN world rankings by HDI & Quality of Life:

18. Singapore

30. Brunei

64. Malaysia

104.Thailand

114. PI

121. Indonesia

127. Vietnam

138. Cambodia

138. Laos

149. Burma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_of_living

11. Singapore

36. Malaysia

42. Thailand

61. Vietnam

71. Indonesia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality-of-life_Index

ASEAN world rankings by TAT

1. Thailand

198 Malaysia

199 Cambodia

200. Burma

100% Waste of time. I know people living in Cambodia and they love the country, despite the huge social problem, they love the quality. It is a subject very personal. This is a completely personal matter, what is good for you, does not mean it is good to me.

I'm shocked some of you say Singapore is boring. Maybe you're a little older and don't go out? They have a thriving nightlife and plenty to do. Never board a moment there.

That said, being #2 or even #1 in ASEAN is like being the smartest kid in the Special Ed class. At the end of the day, you're still "special."

• Like 1

I'm shocked some of you say Singapore is boring. Maybe you're a little older and don't go out? They have a thriving nightlife and plenty to do. Never board a moment there.

That said, being #2 or even #1 in ASEAN is like being the smartest kid in the Special Ed class. At the end of the day, you're still "special."

+1 :)

i have always had a great time in singapore and love going out there

the food is great

the beer is delicious

service is generally better

the girls are beautiful and from all over the world

sure it costs a bit more than thailand but its an example of a city that runs efficiently

and were people dont break the law every 5 minutes because they know the police wont

take a 100 thb and look the other way ..........

Of course the Thai Bashers are out in force. So who is number 2 in ASEAN? Laos? Vietnam? Cambodia?

I have worked and travelled in all ASEAN countries except the Philippines but I would actually put Thailand as number one. Singapore is great if you can afford it, but sull as dishwater.

Makes you wonder why these same people choose Thailand to live if things are so bad here.

simple: initially most came here for easy women/sex, eventually got hooked to a wife or gf, were happy (ie. blurred) for a couple of months/years, then reality kicked in and now it's frustration and bitterness 24/7... sure, some guys have a great time here but majority of the ones i have met are complaining/whining losers who need 3 liters of chiang to make it to the next day.

• Like 1

In the last HDI rankings, Malaysia was 64th and Thailand was 103rd. I highly doubt this report is accurate at all.

https://data.undp.org/dataset/Table-1-Human-Development-Index-and-its-components/wxub-qc5k

As someone who has lived in both countries, in my opinion Malaysia is about 10-15 years ahead of Thailand development wise.

Edited by anantha92
  • Like 1

Of course the Thai Bashers are out in force. So who is number 2 in ASEAN? Laos? Vietnam? Cambodia?

I have worked and travelled in all ASEAN countries except the Philippines but I would actually put Thailand as number one. Singapore is great if you can afford it, but sull as dishwater.

Little bit surprised Malaysia didn't come in 2nd...I guess came in third. Such a survey would pretty much track GDP I would think. And besides sing and may, not really much competition is there so no great feat coming in second.

yes its possible ... if you dont take in consideration ... traffic jams , corruption , pollution , high prices for wine and spirits , huge import taxes , double pricing for historical monument and parks etc ..

And of course all of the above does not apply in neighboring countries! HCMC has no traffic, Cambodia no corruption, Laos no pollution, booze is dirt-cheap in Singapore, there are no import taxes in Malaysia, no double-pricing in Myanmar, etc.

Sometimes I have the feeling that some posters on this thread have not been to many of the ASEAN countries.......

well you are right , I never been to cambodia .....

Wow.... 2nd best, how are the Thais having to selltle for that!!! I was always giving the impression they were for more advanced thatn everybody else in the world...

They know everything & failing that would still tell you anything you need to know even when their clueless themselves.

Maybe next time round they'll finish first if they lie a little more..

Just a dumb farangs taughts!!!! Sorry if I took up too much of those intelligent Thais time, I know it can be really hard trying to split the Atom with the cheap hacksaws they sell here!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The UNDP is not your run-of-the-mill organization and they have clear criteria.

Malaysia has always been good at self-promotion but they have their own problems which many are not aware of but

Thai bashers will always be Thai bashers.

So true. The haters are out in force on this thread. Seems like the UN disagrees with the mob and the mob just can't stomach that. I wish there was a way to dump all these knobs in Malaysia. They'll be whining/whinging about Malaysians in no time.

• Like 1

The UNDP is not your run-of-the-mill organization and they have clear criteria.

Malaysia has always been good at self-promotion but they have their own problems which many are not aware of but

Thai bashers will always be Thai bashers.

So true. The haters are out in force on this thread. Seems like the UN disagrees with the mob and the mob just can't stomach that. I wish there was a way to dump all these knobs in Malaysia. They'll be whining/whinging about Malaysians in no time.

Instead of HATERS... don't you mean disagree with the figures ??? MOB ???? KNOBS ???? WHINERS?????

My MY your some fun lover of humans. If you were short changed or taken "for a ride" by a Thai would you think nothing of it or change into a hater.????