BKK Poll: People back the idea of having intermediate PM

webfact

BKK Poll: People back the idea of having intermediate PM to reform politics before holding election

PNPOL570327001000401_27032014_114550.jpg

BANGKOK, 27 Mar 2014 (NNT) - According to the Bangkok Poll, Thai people back the idea of having a neutral prime minister to spearhead political reform before a general election is held.

Majority or 50.7% of the respondents agreed with the idea while 29.2% opposed the thought and the remaining 20.1% was unsure about the approach.

When asked who should be the most suitable intermediary to mend the rifts between the conflicting parties, poll takers voted Mr. Anand Panyarachun as the most favorable choice, followed by the President of the Privy Council, General Prem Tinsulanonda.

The poll sampled 1,068 people in various parts of the country, to gauge the popularity of leaders of the 2 biggest political parties after the court axed the February 2nd general election. The survey suggests that the popularity of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra of the Pheu Thai party has declined to 24.8% from the previous figure of 26.7% taken during the November poll, while Mr. Abhisit Vejjajiva of the opposition Democrat Party has a support of only 18.7%, a massive loss from the previous 34.8%.

Similarly Pheu Thai Party’s popularity leads that of rival Democrats by 6.7%, with the former holding a total support of 27% and the latter 20.3%.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-27 footer_n.gif

names and addresses please of all those that thought this was a good idea so the reds can add them to the "hunted down" list for not agreeing with thaksins methods of running this country. The thai people should know by now that only what thaksin says & approves can be done here, the reds are his personal attack dogs paid to see that no one steps out of line on his demands.

• Like 2

names and addresses please of all those that thought this was a good idea so the reds can add them to the "hunted down" list for not agreeing with thaksins methods of running this country. The thai people should know by now that only what thaksin says & approves can be done here, the reds are his personal attack dogs paid to see that no one steps out of line on his demands.

you are mistaken

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

you are mistaken

Not mistaken.

What a ridiculous comment!

• Like 1

I agree there should be a neutral PM, but no way can it be anyone who is picked by Suthep or the PTP, and no amnesty for those who are facing arrest warrants. Suthep is crazy if anyone thinks he is going to have any say in a new government.

• Like 2

that's not what 20mln at the polling stations wanted, and many many millions more, who were prevented from the voting. Just what a few hundred/a few thousand at Lumpini park would like to force on the voters.

If you read the OP you will see that the poll was taken around the country

You would be wise not to make asertions that just prove you are an idiot

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

that's not what 20mln at the polling stations wanted, and many many millions more, who were prevented from the voting. Just what a few hundred/a few thousand at Lumpini park would like to force on the voters.

as to neutrality of those proposed intermediate PM, both were were actively involved in 2006 military coup, which abolished a democratic constitution. Besides, both of them are in the late 80-ties, they are sick and can die any day. A perfect place to jump by suthep and his neutral clan

Being a hypocite is so easy for you

1st you say the people should have their right to vote

then before you even get to the end, you say a consitutuion voted in by the thai people in not valid

Make up your mind are you right or left

• Like 2

Quote name="dcutman" post="7614972" timestamp="1395900768"]

Every day a new poll with an incredible assertion.

Incredibly, all these poll numbers seem to be fairly consistent with all the others.

Yes . barely over 50% on an issue that they don't even qualify of the respondent understands the issue.

I said it elsewhere. These polls are leading and bogus. It shows a tiny majority. In most other places the results wouldn't get printer because they don't show a clear result.

These results are being announced as though they have 80% support. 49.5% don't support it. 80% don't even know then consequences of it. Just look at the support results.

Does that mean that 60% of the electorate support no party?

Edited by Thai at Heart

I agree there should be a neutral PM, but no way can it be anyone who is picked by Suthep or the PTP, and no amnesty for those who are facing arrest warrants. Suthep is crazy if anyone thinks he is going to have any say in a new government.

My tai wife and friends who protested in BKK say

this was always to be the final conclusion

but as you not like this

you make up you own BS

Suthep has said from the start he want nothing to do with the new government

your all spin

• Like 2

A single poll doesn't mean much. But when they start to form patterns, they do. This is now the second poll in recent days to essentially arrive at this perspective of things. And the slide in Pheu Thai Support has been in fast decline since November. It's true that the Democratic party is even less popular. But that only underscores the fact that this is not a politically driven opinion. The people - regardless as to political ideology - favour an interim prime minister. Yesterday, a poll indicated 52 % were in favour of reform before an election, and 72 % thought a new election without reform wouldn't solve anything. So the public is way ahead of the politicians on this. The stark reality of the poll is that no political party in this county is popular now. The country is now looking beyond partisan politics. These polls will never be referenced by Pheu Thai. But at some point - if they increasingly show the same levels of populous support - it will become increasingly impossible for Pheu Thai to pretend that these opinions that are popularly shared in the country don't exist. Again, despite all that the UDD says, what Pheu Thai says, and what Thaksin's cousin Surapong says, Article 7 provides a constitutional path for an interim prime minister nominated through the Senate in the event of a parliamentary vacuum. That was true when the article was written and ratified. It was true three months ago. It is true now.

" According to the Bangkok Poll, Thai people back the idea of having a neutral prime minister to spearhead political reform before a general election is held"

The Thai electoral majority who elected Ms. Y. does not hold this opinion.

Trying to 'launder the agenda of the coup-mongers and their supporters" via a phony Poll is very obvious, and an insult to one's intelligence to imply otherwise.

This electoral majority are pro-democratic and favor expediting reform, whatever that means, via Parliament. That way those representing the populace nation-wide can debate and consult on issues of Governance.

Being a hypocite is so easy for you

1st you say the people should have their right to vote

then before you even get to the end, you say a consitutuion voted in by the thai people in not valid

Make up your mind are you right or left

the 2007 military drawn constitution was forced on people. It was against the law to vote against it or to boycott this referendum.

there were no political discussion, political parties disbanded, as the country was was under the martial law. Public gatherings were banned. Many were imprisoned and intimidated

as to neutrality of those proposed intermediate PM, both were were actively involved in 2006 military coup, which abolished a democratic constitution. Besides, both of them are in the late 80-ties, they are sick and can die any day. A perfect place to jump by suthep and his neutral clan

Interesting assumptions, my dear london boy.

Amongst others you assume that none of those 20 million who voted (with 20 - 25% no/invalid votes) actually want a 'intermediate PM'. You also assume the 'many, many millions more' whereas those areas which voted had a voter turnout of less than 50%. Prevented from voting were only a smaller, less populous part of Thailand.

As for the neutrality of proposed intermediate PM, well, there is no one propsed yet. Only some already circulate names in order to make them look suspect, it would seem. As for the jab at 'elderly', well shame on you, even k. Banharn would say so I think.rolleyes.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Was there a referendum at the polling booths for a interim government, never heard about it.

" According to the Bangkok Poll, Thai people back the idea of having a neutral prime minister to spearhead political reform before a general election is held"

Trying to 'launder the agenda of the coup-mongers and their supporters" via a phony Poll is very obvious, and an insult to one's intelligence to imply otherwise.

This electoral majority are pro-democratic and favor expediting reform, whatever that means, via Parliament. That way those representing the populace nation-wide can debate and consult on issues of Governance.

Governance, where ???? you Cadbury's fruit and.......YINGLUCK WAS NOT ELECTED, her brother placed her there. Tell truth. please. Before the protests they never thought about reform only AMNESTY.

Incredibly, all these poll numbers seem to be fairly consistent with all the others.

Yes . barely over 50% on an issue that they don't even qualify of the respondent understands the issue.

I said it elsewhere. These polls are leading and bogus. It shows a tiny majority. In most other places the results wouldn't get printer because they don't show a clear result.

These results are being announced as though they have 80% support. 49.5% don't support it. 80% don't even know then consequences of it. Just look at the support results.

Not sure what you are going on about at all, or where any of your numbers come from.

I am merely reading the OP and the results of this poll, and comparing it to results of similar polls conducted recently on the same with similar questions. From this I can only conclude that there is more support for reform before another election. Seems pretty clear to me, but for what ever reason you cannot accept it.

Suthep is crazy if anyone thinks he is going to have any say in a new government.

???

Suthep is crazy if ANYONE ? thinks

I am missing your logic

Not sure what you are going on about at all, or where any of your numbers come from.

I am merely reading the OP and the results of this poll, and comparing it to results of similar polls conducted recently on the same with similar questions. From this I can only conclude that there is more support for reform before another election. Seems pretty clear to me, but for what ever reason you cannot accept it.

In the result of a poll, 1,068 people said they wanted reform, before the full 70 million people get asked what they want.

That's what they're saying, these 1068 people selected by BKK Poll, were asked what they wanted, and from that BKK Poll are suggesting the other 70 million people not be asked what they want.

These chosen 1068 people's opinion count, and 70 million other opinions don't count.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 1

In the result of a poll, 1,068 people said they wanted reform, before the full 70 million people get asked what they want.

That's what they're saying, these 1068 people selected by BKK Poll, were asked what they wanted, and from that BKK Poll are suggesting the other 70 million people not be asked what they want.

These chosen 1068 people's opinion count, and 70 million other opinions don't count.

I have a sneaking feeling 1,068 was an average of what a 30% of voters would say. 70 million voters ??? you include all the kids ???

Just an observation the other 70 million were not asked ????? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Its a sample poll, do you know what that means? Never mind obviously you dont know much. BTW Polls of this type are only conducted with adults of voting age.

• Like 1

Governance, where ???? you Cadbury's fruit and.......YINGLUCK WAS NOT ELECTED, her brother placed her there. Tell truth. please. Before the protests they never thought about reform only AMNESTY.

She was elected, we voted her in, she won 76 seats previously held by the Democrat grouping. The elections were under a Democrat government. We voted them out.

Abhisit of the democrats had previously promised 'constitutional reform' to try to quell protests at how he got into power despite losing the election. He didn't delivery any of those.

The premier said during his weekly television address Sunday morning that the UDD can continue their protest if they do not violate the law. Mr. Abhisit also said that a committee to consider Constitutional amendments and political reform has been set up in an attempt to restore peace to society.

(link)

And when the elite stop blocking elections, we'll elect her again and not their sock puppet. Which is what they fear and what they know. It's why EC can't even propose any date by which they will hold an election, and Abhisit is so keen to delay elections at all costs.

Note, in seats Pheu Thai contested against incumbent BJP candidates, Pheu Thai won several of them, suggesting that even if the Dems run, they'll be trounced by a bigger margin than last time.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 1

She was elected, we voted her in, she won 70 seats previously held by the Democrat grouping. The elections were under a Democrat government. We voted them out.

Abhisit of the democrats had previously promised 'constitutional reform' to try to quell protests at how he got into power despite losing the election. He didn't delivery any of those.

The premier said during his weekly television address Sunday morning that the UDD can continue their protest if they do not violate the law. Mr. Abhisit also said that a committee to consider Constitutional amendments and political reform has been set up in an attempt to restore peace to society.

(link)

And when the elite stop blocking elections, we'll elect her again and not their puppet. Which is what they fear and they know and why EC can't even propose any date by which they will hold an election, and Abhisit is so keen to delay elections at all costs.

Unless I am badly mistaken Thaksin appointed her. WE--voted her in ????? The courts will ELECT next not the B/box. By the way how much ground have YOU lost since the Gross mismanagement of Thai government money. I'll not name them all, you look them up. find a link to this question.

For those Codgers that dont know how polls work.

The Number of Interviews or Sample Size Required
One key question faced by Gallup statisticians is how many interviews does it take to provide an
adequate cross section of Americans? The answer is not many -- if the respondents to be
interviewed are selected entirely at random, giving every adult American an equal or known
probability of falling into the sample. The typical sample size for a Gallup poll, either a
traditional stand-alone poll or one night’s interviewing from Gallup’s Daily tracking, is 1,000
national adults.
Broadly speaking, the actual number of people that need to be interviewed for a given sample is
to some degree less important than the soundness of the fundamental equal probability of
selection principle. This is something many people find hard to believe, if respondents are
not
selected randomly, Gallup could have a poll with a million people and still be significantly less
likely to represent the views of all Americans than a much smaller sample of 1,000 people
selected randomly.
To be sure, there is some gain in sampling accuracy that comes from increasing sample sizes.
Using common sense and sampling theory, a sample of 1,000 people is most likely going to be
more accurate than a sample of 20. Surprisingly, however, once the survey sample approaches
500, 600, 700, or more, there are fewer and fewer accuracy gains that come from increasing the
sample size. Gallup and other major organizations use sample sizes of between 1,000 and 1,500
for standard surveys because they provide a solid balance of accuracy against the increased
economic cost of larger and larger samples. If Gallup were to use a sample of 4,000 randomly
selected adults each time it did a poll, the increase in accuracy over a well-done sample of 1,000
would be minimal, and for sample accuracy reasons, would not justify the increase in cost.
  • Like 1

Consider your intelligence insulted.