Can I leave my passport in Thailand and make a day trip to Laos?

At Mae Sai I once crossed to Tachilek for a day trip. This simply involved buying a 'VIP Pass' for 100 Bt - and using it in lieu of a passport (I left my passport with the Authorities at the Thai side when they issued the pass). No changes were made to my visa status. Nothing changed in my passport. The only precondition was that I had to come back the same day.

I heard a rumour that a similar arrangement can be made when crossing from Chiang Kong to Huai Xi in Laos.

Is this true? Can I do a day trip to anywhere in Laos without messing with my passport / visa?

Any advice would be appreciated.

No, of course you can't. It's a different country!! Although I have heard of tourists being able to go to an island in the Mekhong which is Laotian territory and getting a beerlao then returning to Thailand. My question is - why would you want to?

• Like 1

No, of course you can't. It's a different country!! Although I have heard of tourists being able to go to an island in the Mekhong which is Laotian territory and getting a beerlao then returning to Thailand. My question is - why would you want to?

To stock up on delicious Beer Lao of course :)

No.

Why would Laos want to deprive themselves of $35 ?

The Burmese still collect their $10 or Bt500 when you arrive in Tachilek with a VIP ticket - so there's no reason why the Laotians shouldn't collect their $35

OK.

Try asking them if they will change their system to accommodate you. I am sure they don't really want to mess about with those full page visa stickers.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago, 4 of us 2 Thai ladies, a Belgium male and a Brit male, went on a tour from Chiang Mai.

We looked at Chiang Rai hot springs, the white temple, the long necks, the elephants and stood at the Myanmar border, we did not try to cross, there was shopping a plenty on the Thai side.

There was a boat trip included that took us into the Golden Triangle. There we were charged 10 Baht and we each had a small "Visa" ticket. (I've still got mine somewhere LOL)

It was a fun day, we took our photos by the Laos sign LOL and the booze there was both good and cheap.

The trip cost us about 1,000 Baht each but it was a long day with Hotel collection quite early.

Of trips we have made in Thailand, it rates as one of the very best.

I personally would love to find a way to visit neighbouring countries for a short trip but the necessary re-entry visa and cost puts me off when I have gone to so much trouble to have a retirement extension.

Looks like the next return to LoS may involve a trip to a neighbouring country and then fly back to LoS on my single entry visa.

(Please ignore any posts that annoy you, saying nothing can mean a lot!)

About 5 years ago, I did a Mai Sai / Tachilek crossing using my driving licence. I have a retirement visa and didn't want the hassle of getting a re=entry permit etc. I don't know if it can still be done.

• Like 2

rolleyes.gif Not unless you are a Thai.

Thais do not need a passport to cross into Laos and I bekieve also some places in Cambodia for a day trip.

But a foreigner does need a passport and a visa.

And yes, I've known Thais that have gone across the border into Burma (Myamar) to shop there without a passport or visa needed.

But unless I'm wrong Farangs can't do any of that .

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Sounds fishy, as you should ordinarily expect to need your passport to enter any foreign country. Hell, you need it to re-enter the UK, even though it isn't stamped!

I took a Thai lady friend with me on one re-entry visit to Laos, via Nong Khai. She came across the bridge with me and waited while I did the circuit, assuming it wouldn't be a problem. But on reaching the Thai border again, she was advised that it would be better to have her passport stamped, in order to avoid future issues. So back we went, where I waited while she did the circuit.

In short, I doubt you can do it.

You can. You can also fly to the moon and show Americans that you can actually walk on this planet and jump without being in an Arizona desert.

. Sorry, but your' post is really questionable.

Do you need a passport when you're traveling from the U.S.A to Germany?-.No, you just go there. Or am I missing some?-w00t.gif

Why would anyone want to leave their passport in another country when visiting a neighbouring country? Its bad enough when people leave them with car rental firms and they go missing. Next it will be your passport used to buy flight tickets to hijack planes.

• Like 1

Why would anyone want to leave their passport in another country when visiting a neighbouring country? Its bad enough when people leave them with car rental firms and they go missing. Next it will be your passport used to buy flight tickets to hijack planes.

Agree.

Why would you leave a passport with a car rental company ?

I refused to leave mine for a motorcy rent in Cambodia recently.

Agree.

Why would you leave a passport with a car rental company ?

I refused to leave mine for a motorcy rent in Cambodia recently.

The 2 passports that were used to board the Malaysia airlines flight were left at car rental companies and they got stolen from there. (Or sold)

Khong Chiam has little boats ferrying day trippers across to Laos.

I checked if I could join a group of Thais going over to the market. My brother in law who works for the navy there asked his friends in immigration and was told its for Thais only.

The only time I experienced crossing into another country with one of those visa tickets was at Preah Vihear. I didn't need to leave my passport at the office.

No.

Why would Laos want to deprive themselves of $35 ?

Well actually you can. To the special economic zone over the river from Chiang Saen. I'm not sure that you need to leave your passport there either as we didn't bother going over. IIRC they were simply going to photocopy them. Other postets here have been over so they'd know for sure. We were headed down river to LP a couple of days later and thought the fees extortionate. 500 each to the Thai side and another 500 on the Lao side. The shopping and gambling would need to be spectacular.

• Like 1

Burma is a different country too - so there's no 'of course' - and I don't need to justify my visit.

A bit "Titchy" aren't you? Go right ahead and leave your Passport behind then, you may well find they won't even let you into Laos and if they do, maybe they'll Love your attitude and keep you there.

Just suppose, just suppose, you get into some kind of trouble while in Laos. You want to be there without your home country pasport?

Yes, that was my thought.

I have done the day trip things, at Mae Sot and to the Island in the Mekong at Mae Sai.

But when I did a day trip to Vientienne over the Friendship bridge I got the passport stamped, my Thai GF had an easier experience.

I always had my passport with me........

Amazing Thai Visa Forum!
A member asked a reasonable question that several others seemed to be interested in and he gets hammered!

What is wrong with some of the posters here?

What is with the attitude?

Why do some want to be right?

TiT so up to you - right?

• Like 1

Amazing Thai Visa Forum!

A member asked a reasonable question that several others seemed to be interested in and he gets hammered!

What is wrong with some of the posters here?

What is with the attitude?

Why do some want to be right?

TiT so up to you - right?

Was thinking the same. OP didn't ask advice as to whether leaving your passport was wise or not. Just whether you can. Some of the replies hinting that the question was idiotic simply reflected that quality in themselves as it IS possible and done often, at at least a few crossings. TITV.

• Like 1