Air quality worsens in Upper North

Lite Beer

Air quality worsens in Upper North
The Sunday Nation

CHIANG MAI: -- The number of particles smaller than 10 microns (PM10) in the air in Mae Hong Son yesterday reached 246 micrograms per cubic metre (mpcm).

The level exceeded the safe limit of 120mpcm, according to the Pollution Control Department.

Other upper northern provinces also saw increased PM10 levels.

Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district reported 161 mpcm and a station at the Chiang Rai Natural Resource and Environment Office reported 148 mpcm.

Chiang Mai City Hall's station reported 154 mpcm and Yupparaj School's station reported 149 mpcm while Lampang had 141 mpcm, Phayao 134 mpcm, Phrae 127 mpcm and Nan 122 mpcm.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-30

Why are the safety levels in Thailand 240% higher than in many other countries? In Singapore a PSI 2.5/10 of 50 is the limit!

If that is the case. That is a good question. All i know is that my respiratory tract feels irritated and I have a dry sore throat with no fever.

Could there be a link btwn air quality and this?

The fire burning is never going to stop. Been here for 20years, the last 8 o 10 have become the worst ever.

My wife went to the village boos to complain about the many local fires and was told "In polite but firm manner" they vote for me I am NOT going to upset them."!

Until this thinking changes by force from the central government nothing is going to change.

We intend to live through it this year yet again but next year we are moving out and hopefully sell the property before next year.

I tell the locals if you want to die that's fine by me, but I don't so must I breath in your cancer smoke. Their reaction? you guessed it.

"If you don't like leave Thailand

If you die that's good many Thais get rich.

What a place after 20 years nothing seems to be getting better.

• Like 1

You farangs who complain must realize it will NEVER change when you have ignorant people and INCOMPETENT government officials. And yes it will effect your health. Last year the first 3 months of the year over 30,000 people went to hospitals for respiratory problems. Probably more this year.

Last year the governor in CM came up with a new idea.......people & businesses donate money to buy fire extinguishers to put out fires......what a great idea?????

Always thought I would live forever in Thailand my first 2-3 years there, then I got smart and left after 7 years. I do not miss it!

I have just left with my family after 14 years in chiang mail. Killing myself is one thing but it isn't fair to a family. I always thought I couldn't live anywhere else but chiang mail but this March has been so bad with the air pollution it is truly time to move out.

The traffic is another big problem now. The next phase chiang mai will enter into is Chinese tourism. I guess if you are from Beijing you just might not notice the pollution so much.