Crash helmets and motorcy lights

It is plainly obvious that all Thai youth on the island are exempt from wearing crash helmets, but coming from Bang Rak to Maenam last night i was passed by no less than 5 motorcy with no lights, so it appears that youth are now exempt from having lights..............probably because of their brilliant perception of what is going on around them...........wow! and they are also exempt from red traffic lights as i noticed 2 young guys that got fed up waiting for a green and just revved up and shot through the red.

• Like 1

I nattered and nattered at my old neighbours for over 5 years about wearing helmets.... it just does not sink in...blink.png I have given up!

After driving over 1000 kms between here and west coast this last week or so, in most places just about everyone wears helmets... I guess it can sink in.... ?rolleyes.gif

At the very least i'd like to see these being supplied (2 per bike) by rental outlets targetting tourists.

simg_58.jpg

Rental bikes are already targeted for tickets as most drivers do not have a motorcycle license. However, they should. They should be told by the rental outfit that they need one, but that would make them lose sales. I do feel sorry on Beach Road where someone rents a motorbike, and then drives 50 yards for a ticket. The same law applies in the U.S., and you will get a ticket there. No corruption on the part of the police, they are just doing their job, writing a ticket, same as the U.S. It is the fault of the rental companies to not inform the renters.

..and your point is?

Advanced member:...you failed to mention Tex-ting while driving or one handed driving while talking on phone...you failed to mention the Pizza Hut driver whom drives radically ....and again your POINT? Seems you drive in the protection of your car and now noticed no light or helmets on the youth driving...you failed to mention underage 10 yr old driving, you failed to mention...excessive passengers..I have seen 5 on bike, including a small baby to cradled in the arms of one passenger...great let it go...you are just in the audience of Thai life here...glad the light came on for you!

Edited by PoorSucker
Changed to standard font.
  • Like 1

I think there are more people wearing Helmets now

But you still see Mum and Dad with helmets and their kid without its as if they don't value their child s life

Agree that it would be nice, but keeping a helmet for a growing child can be very expensive. You would need a new one each year until he is about 16.

Before ever making any comments on seeing Thais wearing or not wearing helmets, just check the season at the time - they wear them a hell of a lot more in the Winter to keep their heads warm and then put them back in the shed in Summer !

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

I am currently in Cambodia. While I think the drivers in Thailand consider the rules of the road a suggestion the drivers

in Cambodia are totally unaware there are rules of the road. 5 % stop at lights 30% drive on the wrong side of the road

at any given time, but they do slow at intersections (weather red or green light) to see the way is clear. They also drive

at a much slower pace and mind out for each other. blink.png

• Like 1

But you still see Mum and Dad with helmets and their kid without its as if they don't value their child s life

Agree that it would be nice, but keeping a helmet for a growing child can be very expensive. You would need a new one each year until he is about 16.

The cost of one night in ICU equates to a new helmet per annum......for two hundred years!

Edited by evadgib

..and your point is?

Advanced member:...you failed to mention Tex-ting while driving or one handed driving while talking on phone...you failed to mention the Pizza Hut driver whom drives radically ....and again your POINT? Seems you drive in the protection of your car and now noticed no light or helmets on the youth driving...you failed to mention underage 10 yr old driving, you failed to mention...excessive passengers..I have seen 5 on bike, including a small baby to cradled in the arms of one passenger...great let it go...you are just in the audience of Thai life here...glad the light came on for you!

He was just stating his views, no need to bash the sh*t out of him...

• Like 2

Was sitting nattering to a friend of mine in his wife's barber shop in Korat. She's in the cutting room with a customer - young bloke around 20 years old, his GF is sitting waiting on the motosi outside. After a bit the young guy comes out, hops on the bike and off they go, not a helmet to be seen.

The wife comes out after cleaning up - she's freaking out. While cutting she discovered a largish section of the scalp was soft - no bone underneath. She asked about it - the result of a motosi accident a while back. She was scared to death lest she 'punctured' it with the scissors! She asked him if he wears a helmet now. Nah.

The light didn't go on for that guy, next time it's even a small 'off' it'll be 'scrape the brains off the road' time.

This is a true story!

• Like 1

Was sitting nattering to a friend of mine in his wife's barber shop in Korat. She's in the cutting room with a customer - young bloke around 20 years old, his GF is sitting waiting on the motosi outside. After a bit the young guy comes out, hops on the bike and off they go, not a helmet to be seen.

The wife comes out after cleaning up - she's freaking out. While cutting she discovered a largish section of the scalp was soft - no bone underneath. She asked about it - the result of a motosi accident a while back. She was scared to death lest she 'punctured' it with the scissors! She asked him if he wears a helmet now. Nah.

The light didn't go on for that guy, next time it's even a small 'off' it'll be 'scrape the brains off the road' time.

This is a true story!

This is possibly a reflection of the infallible invulnerability of the young.....

Most males have been there and done it to some extent.

you will never,ever get them to realise what the helmet is for so a waste of time trying to tell them. however i fail to see why they will wear it for a few metres and then take it off and have it dangling off the wrist while wobbling between lanes of traffic around pattaya, common sense dictates that it would be easier to ride between lines of cars without having a helmet hanging off your wrist clouting mirrors as you go.

Ah!.......i said common sense, didnt i?

• Like 1

Before ever making any comments on seeing Thais wearing or not wearing helmets, just check the season at the time - they wear them a hell of a lot more in the Winter to keep their heads warm and then put them back in the shed in Summer !

Hey!, don't forget that the roads are softer in the summer heat.biggrin.pnglaugh.pngsad.png

• Like 1

Might be cheaper than paying for a funeral...