Crash helmets and motorcy lights

I wonder why the parents allow this.

As for the police they only seem to stop people when there is a road block.

I have counted about 3 cars with no lights driving to lamai so when car with no lights meets mr motor bike with no lights see who comes out on top

Also i have noticed that some bikes gave lights but they have something large in the front basket which blocks the lights

i just know that if they renot puled over by the police then they are inviting death or serious injury to themselves.

also buy one of those dvd camera it could save your bacon

No helmets required. Been there many occasions. Just dont go past Chaweng police station. You might loose 300 baht. Also if you see a police checkpoint. Just look straight ahead and keep going. They wont give chase. To much hastle.

There will be another farang along in a minute.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 5 months later...

Well - a busy day for the BIBs today.

I had to go to Nathon twice. On my first trip (11.00 ish) there was a motorcycle helmet check on the ring road near Oriental Living in Bophut. (Yes - I was wearing a helmet.)

Then on my second trip (20.00 ish) - major traffic congestion and road blocked into Nathon. Coming from the North - all traffic diverted to the coast road (by the 7/11and sea shell museum) past the ferry terminals. It looked like helmet check, drugs check, illegal immigrants check - anything to stop and search check.

Luckily, being the fat old farang that I am, I was waved through.

Quite a few BIBs 'loitering' at every police box from Nathon to Bophut. I do not know about Chaweng as I headed home to Plai Laem.

They earned their overtime tonight. wai.gif

Also i have noticed that some bikes gave lights but they have something large in the front basket which blocks the lights

THIS ^^^^

I understand that sometimes the light breaks and the rider doesnt know, especially with the back light. But to consciously place a large bag of shopping, or a dog/child/buffalo, in front of your light and blocking them is just plain ridiculous and asking for a crash.

As for helmets. Personally I wear mine about 50% of the times, depending on where I am going. And yes I know I should wear it 100% of the time.

In the 5 years I have lived here things are improving. Id say that 5 years ago less than 2% were using helmets. That has to be about 15-20% these days. But it'll never completely change.

• Like 2

I think there are more people wearing Helmets now

But you still see Mum and Dad with helmets and their kid without its as if they don't value their child s life

Agree that it would be nice, but keeping a helmet for a growing child can be very expensive. You would need a new one each year until he is about 16.

Might be cheaper than paying for a funeral...

Nah, funerals are paid for by everyone who attends.

Those small envelopes.....

Sometimes, funerals even make a small profit.