Anti-worm

lampard10

I'm trying to download, and the Norton Anti-worm device keeps coming up and asking me if I want to continue. When I press yes it just comes back and asks again, when I press no it does the same. What the <deleted> is wrong with it. Pleaes help me before that goes out the window as well

:o This weeks special at the FC....worm soup with potato and onion. Yummy. :D

The terrible thing about uninstalling Norton is that sometimes it causes even more problems. You might end up having to really start from scratch and re-format and reload Windows. And then please don't install Norton again. AVG is your friend (IMHO). :D

The only software I detest more than Symantec's is Computer Associates'! Free AVG is okay, but does have it's limits. For example there is no way to exclude a program like Torpark which it will identify as a worm and prevent from running. My preference is PC-cillin but it is not cheap.

I agree uninstalling Norton can also cause problems - one of the reasons I don't like it - but if you create a restore point first you should be okay.

Peter

I'm trying to download, and the Norton Anti-worm device keeps coming up and asking me if I want to continue. When I press yes it just comes back and asks again, when I press no it does the same. What the <deleted> is wrong with it. Pleaes help me before that goes out the window as well

Are you using the symantec corporate antivirus software, below alert published by symantec on 30th may 2006.

Symantec has patched a widely reported flaw in the English versions of its corporate antivirus software. hackers to run unauthorized software on unpatched PCs.

It was discovered by rival security vendor eEye Digital Security and first disclosed last Wednesday. Three days later, Symantec patched the problem, according to an alert published late last week on Symantec's Web site.

English Only

The patches are for English language versions of Symantec's products only, and a Symantec spokesman could not say when the complete line of products would be patched.

Symantec did not release many details on the flaw, but eEye has warned that it is the kind of vulnerability that could be used to build a self-replicating worm attack, similar to the Blaster and Slammer outbreaks of 2003.

That has not happened to date, and Symantec is "not aware of any customers impacted by this vulnerability, or of any exploits of this vulnerability," the alert said.

The problem affects version 3.0 and above of Client Security, and version 10 and above of Antivirus Corporate Edition. Symantec's Norton line of consumer antivirus products is not affected.

A number of other flaws have been reported in Symantec's security products over the past year. Last December, researcher Alex Wheeler discovered a flaw in Symantec's Antivirus Library that could allow remote attackers to gain control of systems that used Symantec's products.

Edited by Thaising

My favorite new way to protect my windows machine is to get rid of it.

I now use Parallels Desktop on my mac to create a "virtual" windows environment. You just have to save one big file every so often to back up your entire windows installation, and you can grant it internet access only when you want to.

When you are too sick of re-formatting everything, grab a mac mini or MacBook-- be sure it is one of the new ones with the intel processor, and you can run windows full-speed through Parallels!

I'm trying to download, and the Norton Anti-worm device keeps coming up and asking me if I want to continue. When I press yes it just comes back and asks again, when I press no it does the same.
Perhaps your click on Yes is valid only for that particular instance. Does the Norton window that pops up have a combo box in which you can select from various options, for example Yes for the whole web site or something like that?

---------------

Maestro