Hitching my hook to a star and going Walkabouts.

dotpoom

If he he is comfortable to stay at home and -- like the guy above says -- only gets his experiences from the boob tube or Google maybe he should go traveling.

And as Lewis Carroll might have said: If you only can get your excitement going somewhere else, what do you do when you aren't somewhere else?

Edited by JLCrab

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I think I don't really believe this whole story. Too many things don't quite add up.

• Lived in Thailand 12 years; been taking 7-day trips every 6 weeks for the last 7 years--and now the fascination is overwhelming
  • After all these 7-day trips for 7 years, then decides to sell his comfortable, renovated house and vagabond; cant just make longer trips
  • Can't rent out his house, worried about the care--but rents out 2 condos
  • Not a planner, but planned well enough to leave his home country early, with considerable savings, and acquire and manage 2 properties to finance residence here
  • Not a planner, but renovated his house nicely--a true carpe diem sort, like a Thai, would just let it go to hell
  • Says he must sell house 'cause needs the money--but will be just traveling cheaply in rural areas in neighboring countries
  • Wants to bring "light into darkness"--really now? That's just awfully sweet. Locals mostly want money in their pockets (your money)
  • If the house is for sale, where's the classified ad? With what realtor? What's the location?
  • Neighboring countries? Let's see the tentative itinerary.

Yeah, let's have more logical reasons and facts to go with the all the moonlight & magnolias before we buy into this. Now, the house probably represents his money tied up in his wife's name. Hmmmm.

Your meds must have many side effects....not positive 1s.

What u worry about ? The guy started a positive thread, explained what and why he wanted to do it. He not started a discussion. Keep all your negativity to urself i would say.

• Like 2

This is true...once the travel/adventure bug stings you...you never recover from said sting. Horsesh-t Non-stop travel can also be a fine alleviation of boredom.

... and you sound bored.

Mr. Crab...No, I'm not bored at all. In fact I'm currently in Kuala Lumpur

working the "missing" MH370 flight story as a member of the foreign press

corps. Actually...the day's story is over & I'm answering your post, not

that this is to be misconstrued as "work" in any way whatsoever. Perhaps

I am a wee bit tired though.

I agree with you...non-stop travel can be a fine way to alleviate boredom

however when flying one rarely appreciates anything except arriving at ones

destination in a short period of time...and perhaps...since I always sit in 1st

or Biz class...the grub on board may be appealing...or it may not be...such

is life.

Then again, to me anyway, getting into a plane and going from point A to point

B (saying B is the destination) isn't quite travel...to me anyway...it's simply

a means of efficient transportation. To you it may be travel and hey...that's OK.

To me...travel isn't about the arrival at some particular location...it is about

the journey itself...and not always via air travel...Cheers!

• Like 1

Your meds must have many side effects....not positive 1s.

u take meds for be stupid? But me no like. I pretend now for u so u happy, OK?

What u worry about ?

Why u worry I worry? u want be momma? No need. I not worry though.

The guy started a positive thread, explained what and why he wanted to do it. He not started a discussion.

But look same same bullshit. I start talk about that. u no like, no read.

Keep all your negativity to urself i would say.

find out truth = positive, why u negative then?

Edited by JSixpack

You said: " ... while others are comfortable to stay at home & get their experiences from the boob tube or via Google."

I get my excitement staying at home -- in Thailand -- and running a US-based NGO on domestic and international affairs. I would think that anybody who would write the above quoted statement must be bored. So you are not bored. As I said in post #8 I have been to places in China in the late 80's - early 90's even the US Intelligence Community had not even been so I actually do leave the airport.

You said: " ... while others are comfortable to stay at home & get their experiences from the boob tube or via Google." I get my excitement staying at home -- in Thailand -- and running a US-based NGO on domestic and international affairs. I would think that anybody who would write the above quoted statement must be bored. So you are not bored. As I said in post #8 I have been to places in China in the late 80's - early 90's even the US Intelligence Community had not even been so I actually do leave the airport.

Good luck to you running your NGO...sounds interesting. I also live in LOS...near Ranong.

Actually close to 17 kilometers south of town centre...it's nice & quiet. BTW...I have also

been into China many times...all over the place....mind you I like Shanghai heaps over

Beijing. Was in Beijing during the 1989 student protests & military crack down also. Lived

in Hong Kong for many years & only left back in 1997...after the handover. Still return

often for work & pleasure. Good luck with your NGO. Cheers.

You said: " ... while others are comfortable to stay at home & get their experiences from the boob tube or via Google." I get my excitement staying at home -- in Thailand -- and running a US-based NGO on domestic and international affairs. I would think that anybody who would write the above quoted statement must be bored. So you are not bored. As I said in post #8 I have been to places in China in the late 80's - early 90's even the US Intelligence Community had not even been so I actually do leave the airport.

Good luck to you running your NGO...sounds interesting. I also live in LOS...near Ranong.

Actually close to 17 kilometers south of town centre...it's nice & quiet. BTW...I have also

been into China many times...all over the place....mind you I like Shanghai heaps over

Beijing. Was in Beijing during the 1989 student protests & military crack down also. Lived

in Hong Kong for many years & only left back in 1997...after the handover. Still return

often for work & pleasure. Good luck with your NGO. Cheers.

OK -- and stay safe on that story if it goes bonkers.

This by BTW -- except for ThaiVisa diversions -- has been my morning's activity reading the submitted testimony on IP & the Internet much of which has to do visual media archives:

http://judiciary.house.gov/index.cfm/hearings?ID=ED90F495-04B3-4972-ABCB-01837D6ADEBA

Edited by JLCrab

Well let's just put it this way: There are some who think the value of your copyright in contributing to the social good outweighs the value of your copyright for your own interests. While I am all for the social good, at a certain point such an attitude becomes self-defeating.