Phuket to stamp out 'indecency'

webfact

Phuket to stamp out 'indecency'
The Phuket News

1396264615_1.jpg
A volunteer was persuaded by the authorities to get stamped with both the first offender (black) and repeat offender (red) stamps.

PHUKET: -- In an attempt to improve Phuket’s scenery, underdressed tourists are to be stopped by police and subjected to several penalties that will replace the current B500 fine.

An official announcement explained, “Despite repeated complaints by the island’s most high-ranking official, the countryside and beaches are still plagued with men walking and riding around shirtless, wearing Speedos, showing off their latest tattoos.

“Furthermore there are women in thong and G-string underwear riding on the back of monster motorbikes inflicting distress on other motorists, who are unable to concentrate. This has resulted in a number of serious accidents.”

Offenders will be stopped by police, who will stamp the offending body part with the word “Na kriet” or “Ugly”, according to the announcement.

The 10 cm wide stamp will use the same black ink that is used for temporary tattoos.

Repeat offenders will be stamped again, this time in red, with the word “Deu”, or “Stubborn”.

“This kind of behaviour is a form of indecency. It is hoped that this new initiative will encourage people to respect Thai culture and behave with decorum.” the announcement said.

“The stamps will embarrass them and persuade them to cover up.

“The ink fades with time, so there will be no permanent effect. But the Provincial Government does want to drive the point home that riding or walking around semi-naked will no longer be tolerated.”

The Phuket News canvassed the opinions of tourists. All five tourists who responded to the comprehensive, scientifically-designed survey said, “Whoa! I gotta get one of those. What a cool souvenir!”

The new penalties come into force today (April 1).

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-to-stamp-out-%E2%80%98indecency%E2%80%99-45448.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-01

• Like 1

Have they not got better things to do, ok its naff, walking about ''Shirtless'' especially in the 7/11's or supermarkets,

But its a holiday island, and when people are on holiday, they are on ''Holiday Mode''..

I for one, hang around my Condo shirtless, and the pool area, but i just love the sun....

.... the countryside and beaches are still plagued with men walking and....

The "stamp" looks photoshopped, also the above quote makes little sense - what do they think people go to a beach for???

Conclusion - another one of the April 1st jokes. biggrin.png

• Like 1

In most forums it is relatively easy to spot the April Fools prank - however here there is a never ending stream of posts daily that could qualify - guess that is called news in Thailand! I suppose I should really be looking for the government action that sounds vaguely sensible - that will surely be the one!

“Furthermore there are women in thong and G-string underwear riding on the back of monster motorbikes inflicting distress on other motorists, who are unable to concentrate. This has resulted in a number of serious accidents.”

Yeah, THIS is what causes the accidents. By the way, has anyone here ever been through the rigorous training program to get a Thai license?

Nonetheless, it is still quite a funny article. Only in Thailand, i suppose. A but stupid for a beach place though. Just another way to make money. They have no shame.

Another April 1 joke?

If not, I endorse it. Yobbos/bogans unfortunately don't know hos to conduct themselves in public, so need pulling into line. The problem is that being in the lower couple of percent of the intellectual spectrum, they may think it's something to be proud of? Putting them on the next flight home may be a better solution.