Suthep says protests drag on far too long and need to end this month

webfact

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. The political choices stink.

And these 'if you're not with us, you're against us' posts are tiresome.

The political choices are, frankly speaking, awful.

Worse yet are the flaming posts that are written from the presumption this is a fight between the forces of liberation versus the forces of oppression. Contrary to the blazing colors of their respective posts, too many posters think, believe, write, in black and white terms.

While I recognize Thaksin's impact on Thai society and history, I wouldn't ever say he's someone I would advocate. Suthep believes in what he is doing, but he is a reactionary and equally corrupt Thaksin who, moreover, has walked freely for too long without himself having been rightfully hauled in to a court of law.

Thaksin's friends are not necessarily my friends. Likewise, Suthep and his pals don't turn my thinking either. So it's been a false dichotomy from the outset, many years ago. Indeed, how can the enemy of my enemy be my friend when in fact all of these people are the worst enemies a person could experience the misfortune to meet. Who among these people and their posters could ever be my friends?

Rather than having this black-white dichotomy, Thailand has more so stumbled in to a sort of socio-economic and political manage 'a trois. There are the people who have, in their final analysis, decided democracy doesn't serve their interests. There are those who believe democracy is their only possibility. And between each is the interface of those who worship the global economy and its big bucks.

Corruption is no stranger to any of them.

Wow. Excellent post.

Just excellent !

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

• Like 2

He really doesn't want to stop. These protests have made him a household name. He thrives on the attention.

His name has even become a new swear word.

Really?

Is that like - "Oops, I seem to have stepped in a Suthep?"

Or are we now officially renaming the "John"?

(Jokes - have a sense of humour some of you)

An example is when you're sitting in a traffic jam, caused by his 'mob' and you say 'SUTHEP , SUTHEP'!

• Like 1

He really doesn't want to stop. These protests have made him a household name. He thrives on the attention.

Really?

An example is when you're sitting in a traffic jam, caused by his 'mob' and you say 'SUTHEP , SUTHEP'!

Don't forget to remember and thank YL for dumping 1.3 million new cars on the road of which about 80% were Bangkok registered!

• Like 2

Really?

Don't forget to remember and thank YL for dumping 1.3 million new cars on the road of which about 80% were Bangkok registered!

Like the car and condo policy of the previous government?

All of them have been trying to prop up Toyota Thailand - unnecessarily - the car and condo was about the 2008 recession, the 2011/12 was about the floods.

But that's all OT.

The PDRC is not a political party. They are a movement. They have been central to the push for reform. After the passing of the amnesty bill, there was an enormous outburst of anger throughout the country. Suthep and the PDRC funneled that anger into a movement for reform. As a result of that sustained concentration the tide turned, and it is hard to imagine the events that followed without the PDRC. The Senate - seeing the populous anger throughout the country - rejected the amnesty bill. Yingluck dissolved parliament. Pheu Thai are no longer the administration. Without the PDRC, the Yingluck administration would likely still be functioning as a legislative power. Pheu Thai are instead in a stalemate. They've been in one for the last two months. So for people who want to know what the PDRC accomplished, that is what they accomplished. But the endgame was never going to be about the PDRC. It was going to be about the courts. It was going to be about the constitutional process. It was going to be about the judicial system and the independent agencies. They are taking centre stage, as they should.

Hopefully all the garbage and markets, tents and people will clear out of Lumpini Park, so ordinary people can enjoy it again, but I have my doubts.

Amen brother! I moved here in early December into an apartment in the Silom area. I loved walking in the park and getting away from dirty cement buildings, dirty people, and Bangkok filth. Now, it's not much better than walking down any Bangkok street.

Lumpini Park saddens me tremendously and detracts from the quality of my life in Bangkok. Seriously, it was the only place to go to get away from "Where you go?"sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Would you prefer they sat on the road?

Please continue to sit in the park. Please.