2m to spend & I have a short-list

triffid

I'm gearing up to buy a new car later this year and have whittled my choices down to the following

vw scirocco

vw gti (3- or 5-door)

bmw 2 series (if and when it becomes available here)

bmw 1 series

bmw 320

I can spend 2m without a problem but can stretch that a bit if one of the above is convincingly better value for its price. I want to keep in mind the 5-year maintenance that bmw offers as a factor in its value. (I don't know if VW offers any such.)

I have an old but perfectly ok 5-door mazda 3 which I can keep as a back-up car for its practicability - if I get a new 3-door. 90% of the time there is just me in the car. Resale values are of secondary importance to me. Reliability and durability would be important considerations. I will keep the car for several years and sometimes drive it fair distances around the country. I live in Chiangmai and I'm assuming vw and bmw showrooms/garages here will both be fine for servicing and general maintenance.

I'd really appreciate any feedback that helps me to make a final choice from the short list.

(I've eliminated other possibilities in the price range because they don't match the above in european/german, i.e. understated, design - inside and out - in quality of engine and manufacture and finally in enjoyment of the drive. I don't think I've missed any contenders that meet my criteria.)

Many thanks for reading this through and perhaps for any constructive comments you might make.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The BMW 116i-sport is a fine looking little roadster. The "M" trim package adds some nice interior and exterior upgrades and the car is right in your wheelhouse price wise. See my concurrently running thread on this car for other members' thoughts. BMW has a much larger service and parts network than VW so that should factor into your decision.

I really like the Beemer but I don't know if I want to go down the road of having a temperamental European vehicle (even with 5 years of free service and maintence). I was at the Bangkok auto show and the new top line Honda Civic 2.0 caught my eye. It's gotten great reviews, Honda's reputation for reliability, has nice interior room, comes with 6 airbags, 17" wheels, backup camera, and more for B1.1M. If you take off the over the top front and rear add-on trim pieces and it's not a bad looking car. So I may just go for this model.

• Like 1

I got no idea what the best car for you is. I don't even know what I would buy if I decided to buy for me! But it would probably be a pick-up. smile.png

Certainly the most sensible vehicles in Thailand, considering the tax structure, road conditions, weather conditions, and resale value. Heck, the new top line Ford Ranger even has 6 airbags. However, sometimes one just doesn't want sensible for their next vehicle :).

I normally just read the comments and never post but once I read this, I registered as it is a topic close to my heart so this is my first post.

Have been thinking hard about what car to buy when I move permanently to Thailand later in the year

Have a similar budget, could go more at a push. Depreciation not an issue assuming I make the right choice first time. Like German cars but they are pricey in the Thai market and this price tends to get the lower end of their range. If I went for a BMW would like the X3 but over budget mentioned

So my inclination is for a small SUV: good higher driving position, higher ground clearance for dealing with crappy roads and floods and they are reasonably well built and equipped for the Thai market

So Mazda CX5, Honda CRV and Subaru XV or Forester are what grabs my interest. Actual preference is for the Subarus which are rugged natural AWD with a strong and loyal following in some other markets but in Thailand no one buys them so I guess I will be boring and go for the CRV

However if someone can persuade me to go for one of the saloons/hatchbacks suggested by the OP I may think again

Have been thinking hard about what car to buy when I move permanently to Thailand later in the year

Have you been driving here already?

Will you be living in Bangkok or outside?

If you don't come from a country with a pickup/Ute culture then driving a pickup at least for a while adds to the new country experience. A bit like buying a snowmobile if moving to a snowy country or buying a Ute if moving to Australia.

If you will be living and driving in Bangkok them thing smaller and automatic.

Edited by VocalNeal

I just bought a BMW 116i myself, as a 2nd car. As a 1st car 3-series is probably better. A bit more space.

The basic model is 2.249MB for a 320i. 184hp, but can easily be tuned to 220hp or more..

http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/BMW_Price_List_2014.html

M-styling, accessories and other performance parts I can help you with.

Edited by mortenaa

bmw X1?

the bm 320d is probably best value but way above 2M while mazda cx-5 may be the odd choice if u into the compact/sporty suvs like im considering wink.png

mx5 ultra compact wink.png

audi tt?

I ruled out any audi, and especially the tt, simply because I expect the price would be close to 3m.

mazda cx-5 and mx5 don't really suit me.

Vw Scirocco 2.0Tsi. Been driving for almosr 3 years problem free.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for the hands-on commendation; though I notice your name photo shows a different car surely sad.png

Your driving been all in the city? mixed city and country?

How many km have you got through roughly?

2M Baht budget for a car doesn't mean you need to spend it rolleyes.gif Plenty of alternatives for around 1M baht and if reliability and durability are important considerations then I would stay with the Japanese like the new Mazda 3 for instance, good road handling, frugal and about 1 M baht spare cash left to do other nice things that money buys in LOS smile.png

Ah yes, the avatar picture is a ford focus which i do not own. I get 9 km per litre for 50% city driving. I am a light footer, less the occasaional dash from the traffic light. No more NA cars for me in the short term. Next up will be a CX-5 turbo diesel.

Thanks for the hands-on commendation; though I notice your name photo shows a different car surely sad.png

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Ah yes, the avatar picture is a ford focus which i do not own. For my Roc, I get 9 km per litre for 50% city driving. I am a light footer, less the occasaional dash from the traffic light. No more NA cars for me in the short term. Next up will be a CX-5 turbo diesel.

I normally just read the comments and never post but once I read this, I registered as it is a topic close to my heart so this is my first post.

Have a similar budget, could go more at a push. Depreciation not an issue assuming I make the right choice first time. Like German cars but they are pricey in the Thai market and this price tends to get the lower end of their range. If I went for a BMW would like the X3 but over budget mentioned

So my inclination is for a small SUV: good higher driving position, higher ground clearance for dealing with crappy roads and floods and they are reasonably well built and equipped for the Thai market

So Mazda CX5, Honda CRV and Subaru XV or Forester are what grabs my interest. Actual preference is for the Subarus which are rugged natural AWD with a strong and loyal following in some other markets but in Thailand no one buys them so I guess I will be boring and go for the CRV

However if someone can persuade me to go for one of the saloons/hatchbacks suggested by the OP I may think again

If you can extend your budget to 2.44M, add the Benz GLA to your list of SUV's...

I drive a Golf GTI since a good two years with just over 20,000km on it. Besides a DSG problem which i had to take care by myself (50,000Baht worth...bummer), as I bought the car really at a good price grey, it has been flawless. Remapped it since the beginning to about 260hp and it really is a fast car. Inside is nice quality, but not excitingly designed. Space is decent. I get around 9-10l/100km. Grey vs Dealer....big question....it really depends on how much the difference in price is. Let's say my GTI was at the dealer 2.6m 2 years ago. I bought it new for 2m grey..... So if you factor in that something goes wrong in the warranty time (3-5) years I am still in the positive. Actually nothing should go wrong....and my DSG issue was a rather extraordinary thing after only 10,000km.

I have a two door and am contemplating with selling it to get a 4 door for practical reasons...but I would loose quite a bit (Was offered only 1.35m a couple of month ago) and again not sure what i would buy next. Hard to find something which goes as well as the GTI.

As has been mentioned before: Volvo V40 comes to mind and the less obvious choice Skoda Fabia vRS at only 1.39m if any left.

• Like 1

They don't have the Scirocco TDI in Thailand do they? That'd be my first choice of they did..

Seem like BMW is the only one brand that focus on TDI with "sedan-type" cars. Well, actually the top model Cruze have TDI. Unfortunately the TDI BMW's are a bit expensive coz of high specs.

17" wheels

I have to question whether low profile wheels are worth it on Thai roads. They might look nice and give better performance but at what cost.

My current ride has 215/45R17 tyres that I constantly check to make sure the pressures are right. I've replaced 3 rims in the past 4 years after they were damaged by poor roads.

Only thing I can think of adding that no one has already is the Toyota gt86 for 2.3m

Think this is a great drivers car, if underpowered, as is its twin the Subaru BRZ

However wonder about its suitability for Thai country roads. Also especially if you bought the bright orange one, would you as a farang driving what looks like a flashy sports car be a target for being stopped by every passing policeman. I have at times toyed with the idea of getting one of these

Steve, a very thorough informative post. VW in Thailand are a strange case, I wonder how they expect their dealers to survive with just two models to sell. Their marketing in LOS has been seriously lacking for a while, remember the ordinary little SUV, the Tiguan they tried to sell for 3M baht. Some versions of the Passat had odd pricing as well.

As you say, the Scirocco and Golf are much more suitably priced but they are not likely to sell in big numbers. If the VW plant goes ahead in Thailand, presumably they will target exports and/or models suitable for larger volume locally. VW certainly has plenty of experience selling cheap mass market cars in China etc. Maybe Toyota and Honda should be worried, if VW gets a dealer network sorted out!

I'm curious what profile tyres you have on 21 inch rims. I suspect you must be good at spotting pot holes.

Thai Yarnyon are moving from being effectively VW Thailand's representative, to the dealer network, so in the meantime while VW decide what they want to do, Thai Yarnyon don't seem to be able to get much stock; all the beetles you see here are grey market AFAIK. Their big money spinner is the caravelle van (which has been affected by all those alphards you see trucking around the place).

My new car tires are 245/35s. So a fairly standard profile in other words ;-)

Haven't driven the new car much as I can't really park it at work, my current daily driver (also a performance car of sorts which has been modified a little) is also on lowish profile rims, and being a smaller, lower car is more likely to have issues with bottoming out, something incidentally that my old BMW was probably one of the worst cars I have ever owned for doing - it would bottom out on everything.

Scotssing strangely enough, a fancy euro car (not Lamborghini fancy, but a few rungs below that) is far LESS likely to attract attention unless doing something exceedingly stupid- especially if windows are tinted out, police tend to assume it is belonging or connected to some 'phoo-yai' and therefore less worth bothering. The most times I ever used to get pulled over was when I drove a pickup; that's the bread and butter (along with motorcycles) for Thai police, sadly.

"2m new is doable, 2m ex demo or very lightly used 2nd hand is a decent budget for sure. Sure, you can get a Japanese alternative for close to 1m, but it is literally about half the car as well"

I agree to disagree with your reasoning here. So if 1 mln Baht can by 165 hp like the top spec Mazda 3 for instance then which manufacturer offers twice the interior space and, 340 hp and even more features besides lane departure warning system, rear vehicle monitoring, smart city brake support, navigation, HUD, you name it.. Some of ze german manufacturers don't offer these features on 3 m Baht cars..

1536432_723142474392432_1456534187_n.jpg

"2m new is doable, 2m ex demo or very lightly used 2nd hand is a decent budget for sure. Sure, you can get a Japanese alternative for close to 1m, but it is literally about half the car as well"

I agree to disagree with your reasoning here. So if 1 mln Baht can by 165 hp like the top spec Mazda 3 for instance then which manufacturer offers twice the interior space and, 340 hp and even more features besides lane departure warning system, rear vehicle monitoring, smart city brake support, navigation, HUD, you name it.. Some of ze german manufacturers don't offer these features on 3 m Baht cars..

What jap car offers all that equipment and 340hp?