Dengue on the island?

Samui does have cases of dengue fever every year. It's a tropical island with loads of mozzies at times. It's a bit early yet but....

Take normal precautions and you should be OK. (Wifey and I have lived here for 14 years- no probs. Mind you, some of our neighbours have had it.)

It usually affect Thais more than farangs.

Try the health forum?

The last thead here on samui was

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679304-dengue-on-samui/?p=7003363&hl=%2Bdengue

For Thailand google gives a load of info - here is one

http://www.travelhealth.gov.hk/english/outbreaknews/2014/ond14january2014.html

• Like 1

Dengue is around and at times almost epidemic. Now in the dry season not too much worry but once the rainy season starts and the increase in mozzies starts, more people will catch it. I don't know if it can be statistically proven that Thais have more problems with it compared to foreigners. I would be rather surprised.

• Like 1

I agree it would be hard to prove as there are so

many factors involved. I could believe the small clinics the locals go to might not diagnosis or report accurately. Also I imagine more foreigners, esp. tourists take and have better protection where they stay. Finally not to be too cynical but advertising diseases can't be too good for biz.

Edited by junglechef

Dengue is everywhere in Thailand (and most of SE Asia). But much less common in the dry season. Becomes prevalent in the rainy season and for a month or so after the rains stop.

Best protection is mosquito repellent. It is a day-time biting mosquito.

• Like 2